Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does anyone know if the game weights the random grouping towards people you're already friends/groupies with? That'd be convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly I hope they do wipe it. I'd rather beta be a separate dicking around getting used to things phase.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So absolutely no one's getting keys through Bungie's site yet, right? I was really hoping it could be downloaded by the time I got home tomorrow.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can get to level 5 just by doing the main, not grindy missions.

Are Grimoire cards not properly implemented yet, or are mine hosed up? They all just say redacted on both the website and the app.

Also the website doesn't display my character model, only a generic silouette.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrLonghair posted:

Once you step into the actual story of the game it doesn't take long until you learn it's true Bungie, 1994 and on Bungie. Safe to say I'm super happy about what tiny little bit we've experienced so far in story (five missions?)

It does make me wonder how much there's actually be. From the looks of things that's the only proper zone on earth, and the map shows the moon and 3 other planets after that. I'm really hoping the story mode is large and robust enough to keep me going.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fucks sake. Didn't realise how bad pulse rifles are for Titans, and replaced my ok-ish autorifle with one and dismantled the autorifle. Anyone know where to find a decent level 8 autorifle?

Also I never actually got to finish The Devil's Lair in the alpha. Now that I've done it, I'm loving impressed. If you get a semi-competent group it's the perfect balance between feeling like you could die at any time and not actually dying over and over. Constantly felt like we were on the knife's edge of having to restart the encounter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BastardySkull posted:

Just reached level 8 and got the 'thank you for testing' message. I thought they were raising the cap above 8 and releasing more content this week?

Pretty sure that's just a rumour at this point. Either way the message wouldn't really make a difference to that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ularg posted:

If you go into orbit and have done all the Earth missions available you will be able to select the moon. There's a level 6 mission there but when you click it it just tells you to wait for September. Now, here me out.

In the alpha all we had was the level 3 story mission, which we were dropped into automatically upon completion, exploration mode and Devil's Lair. We were never shown any other places that if we clicked on we'd get a cutesy "Just wait for release guys!". It just seems to me that there is no way they would have us download the moon content (other than the multiplayer map, which we already had in the Alpha) just to replay Earth and nearly nothing more.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of moon content was added. Maybe up the cap to 10? Would be cool.

Do we have anything solid on the final level cap? Or are we still just assuming 20 because that's the highest any of the requirements seem to be?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Athenry posted:

The character levels really seem like they're designed to gate the PvE

Which is why I'm worried about how much non-endgame PvE content there's going to be. If we assume 1-20 is just the start of the progression process for gating's sake, does that mean that bespoke story missions and exploring zones will end there?

My mind is so abuzz with optimism and fear at the same time I might just have a stroke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

victrix posted:

:rolleyes:

What if Bungie hired people who used to work on COD?! Oh god, better dump the game then.

Yeah, I mean there are quite a lot of people who would praise map designers and say they're of high quality because they don't make maps like Halo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

404GoonNotFound posted:

They're handing out level 20 gear as rewards when the cap's currently 8. It's looking less and less likely that there's going to be a pre-release wipe.

I'm not sure Bungie wants to be giving out endgame quality gear before people even start the game...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really, really hated the multiplayer in alpha, and pretty much decided that I'd never touch it in the full game, but I'm having a blast with it in the beta. I don't think the actual MP changed, but rather it clicked in my head. I've not had this much fun with an FPS online since my TF2 days.

Looks like I slept right through the Crucible event though, which is a shame. Are there any murmerings of another one happening any time soon?

Also I've checked and triple checked that my PS4 is in NAT type 2 territory in the settings, I've forwarded my ports and I've staticked-up the IP, but the game itself still gives me the 'Strict NAT detected' warning when I load it up (as does Warframe, but I don't give a gently caress about Warframe). Is there anything else that needs to be done specific to Destiny? I tried putting the console in DMZ but it just flat out stops it from connecting to the internet whatsoever.

I can't really tell if the game's giving me a strict NAT experience or whether it's just flagging it by mistake. It's irritating though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zombie Defiler posted:

One thing I hope they change is making loot more visible on the ground, I can't count the times I've walked over a puddle or body and found surprise loot, now I run around doing body pile checks before every mission ends.

Agreed. I say if it drops off an enemy you've killed, just automatically add it to your inventory. And if it's full, flash a message and have it fall next to the player while they clear some space.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo my PS4's gone back to dynamic IP overnight and my port forwarding settings wiped themselves. gently caress you and your monopoly over my area BT, seriously.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

xxEightxx posted:

Is there a point to upgrading the ship/sparrow right now?

No but you can upgrade the sparrow for free by finding the 5 golden chests, which is stupidly quick and easy if you remember to pick up the last one during a normal Strike run.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Popete posted:

This is the first game that really feels like it was made for this generations consoles.

Which is why I'm really excited to see the PS3/360 get phased out for good as soon as possible. Imagine what devs like Bungie will be doing when they're not restricted by having to be compatible with hardware that's 9 years old.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

El Hefe posted:

Has bungie said what's going to be the level cap in the game at release?

Seems like 20 is the soft cap when it comes to regular XP and stat points, but you can keep going after that and getting rewarded with a Mote of Light each level, which you can trade for high level gear and poo poo.

No idea how high those levels can go, but it seems like a cool way of rewarding you tangibly for continued XP gains without completely inflating stats ad infinitum.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a cop posted:

Man, those leaderboards. Wonder how hard they'll nerf golden gun. That's probably why there are so many hunters up there right?

I think it also has to do with Hunters favouring sniper rifles, which are getting a mad number of kills. The thing about playing Titan is that when you get close enough for their special weapons of choice to be useful, you barely have time to switch before you're dead. Hunters have all the time in the world to decide they want someone dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I only just started playing yesterday so I have no idea, when Destiny goes down for maintenance is it safe to assume I can't play solo? Yesterday it said the servers were not available but I was able to play the opening mission at least.

I've not been able to get past the title screen when it's down or I have no connection.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haveblue posted:

To Activision, "Destiny" is the entire multi-game franchise. CoD has been going on for 7 years (more if you count the pre-Modern Warfare games) and Halo has been going on for 13 and both of those are still "live" with future titles planned.

With the marketing dollars and the extremely positive reactions to the alpha and beta there's no way this is going to bomb, so Destiny 2 at the very least is a lock.

I can't be the only one hoping we don't see Destiny 2 for a good long while, right? I feel like this game would be much better suited to a long term support model. I'd be more than happy to buy expansions every six months or so with new planets, game systems/features and endgame content for at least 5 years. It feels like they want Destiny to be a 'thing'. A big, seminal game; Bungie's very own WoW that'll be played and remembered for a long, long time. But if they go down the yearly/bi-yearly release model it'll just be another potentially great IP that burns itself out before its time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What gives me hope is that any future Destiny titles aren't (AFAIK) Activision's call to make. They own the publishing rights, but not the intellectual property itself. They can't just tell Bungie to stop supporting the first one and start the second.

As it is, I'm wondering what a second game would possibly be about and what direction it could take. Would it just pick up the story after the last expansion, and take the same setting, maybe giving a few different Earth locations and some different planets? The idea that the first game will be an empty, unsupported wasteland in a few years because everyone's playing Destiny 3 is depressing as gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

whoknew posted:

FYI here's the leaked contract that came out around when the Bungie-Activision deal was announced: http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

Looks like the document was signed so this is what they are contractually obligated to deliver.

A summary: http://destiny.wikia.com/wiki/Bungie-Activision_Contract

I don't know. Agreements change between friendly parties, even if a contract was signed. Bungie could have locked down a really good development/monetization pattern since then and Activision might have liked it. The contract might have been amended or scrapped a dozen times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

or the artificial ceiling just stops you dead cold.

This reminds me; the invisible walls you occasionally run into are super frustrating in a game with so much focus on mobility. Hopping around the environment only to jump between two rocks and fall flat on your face isn't a fun time, and even the walls covering the entries enemies spawn through are irritating. More than once I've tried to walk through the door the first group of Hive come through in the Moon Wizard mission. I'm sure there's a more elegant solution to indoor enemy spawns...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is probably a really loving stupid question, but I have to ask anyway. Is there a way to start explore mode from a location other than the one it puts you? Is there no way to just start from a certain mission's area? Because having to trudge to where I'm going every time I spawn is a bit poo poo sometimes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Woodhouse posted:

We've only had access to limited content and 8 levels and we are all:

Ooooh baby you! You got what I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grump posted:

Are No Man's Sky and this going to be serious competitors when they're both released? I only ask because it seems like they're the same game, but I haven't done enough research, but I really like the aesthetic of NMS.

No Man's Sky seems to be almost entirely based around exploration. While it seems like it'll have space combat at the very least (going by the trailers), the bulk of the game will be flying to procedurally generated planets and discovering things.

Pretty much nothing like Destiny, gameplay wise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eej posted:

Class items are there just for looks, there's no stats attached to them.

They're the equivalent of WoW tabards, are they not? Faction based decorations that direct your rep rewards towards your chosen side. Plain decorative ones too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah as someone who doesn't tend to give a gently caress about chatting or teaming up with friends most of the time, I certainly wouldn't mind optional proximity chat. I really can't see a sensible reason not to include it.

Also I really wish the Tower would allow more players into each instance to populate them a bit more. 90% of the time they're ridiculous empty, regardless of how many people are playing. It kind of sucks the buzz out of having hub zones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haveblue posted:

Because the vast majority of the people you run into are screaming assholes and Bungie has finally learned not to expose people to them if it's not absolutely necessary?

Hence optional.

I mean I probably wouldn't use it, personally. But still. If there was text chat then it'd eliminate the need.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm really not getting the mixed responses to PvP. I've never been much of a FPS multiplayer guy, but I'm having a blast with it. My main issue with it is that Control isn't that good a game mode, but once they open up the others I don't see myself having any complaints.

I suppose if I could change one thing, I'd have 12v12 be an option since the maps we've seen so far can easily support it. But that's probably a stupid technical limitation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

'2 melees kill, every time' is kind of an issue as well because even as a Titan in strength gear...I still need two melees to kill, and my melee is outclassed by the other two, who also only need two melees to kill. You end up with a class based around punching people not being good at punching people. Even with the codex focusing on agility I still find myself losing straight up slap fights

This. I do sometimes feel punished for taking Titan instead of Hunter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Glad I got a decent shotgun from that. Now I just need a decent auto-rifle and I'll be semi-capable!

I too would have liked a popup to say I've got the emblem. I don't even give a poo poo about emblems, but I'm gonna worry that I've missed out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dreadwroth posted:

Man that Moon mission was cool, hearing Peter Dinklage Ghost saying, "You may want to step back..." made me have a "ohhhhh shiiit" moment. Too bad it's dead easy normal Hive dudes, they eat poo poo and die to scout rifle headshots the same as everyone else.

That door made me feel like I was about to storm Ice Crown Citadel. I really hope there's some balls hard strike/raid content later on with the same sort of architechture.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

madsushi posted:

There is a known issue at the moment with matchmaking, so the Moon will appear empty (you should've seen tons of other players), Tower is empty, and Crucible won't match (Iron Banner specifically). It's being worked on. Check @bungiehelp on Twitter for updates on issues like this one.

My Tower's empty 80% of the time anyway. I just assumed people zone in, buy what they need and instantly gently caress off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schizotek posted:

This Warlock coat: Heart of the Praxic Fire
Praise the Sun: Further decreases all ability cooldowns while radiance is active.

Is... Is that a nipple chain?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No idea how new/relevent this is, but the terrible Bungie forums are abuzz with the news that someone at Bungie confirmed only one explore zone per planet.

Rather hoping that's not true. It'd mean we've already seen and explored like 40% of the environmental content (if you count the time we spent on the Moon). Were the other Earth cities just scrapped?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BastardySkull posted:

I only ever expected one zone per planet. Where are you getting the 40% figure from?

There are grimoire cards for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Then there's also the 'Reef' which may be another hub area.

If each of those main planets has one explorable zone that's a poo poo-ton of content.

Earth, the Moon, Venus, Mars and maybe The Reef are explorable planets. So each one's a (very vague estimated) approximation of 20%. Pretty sure Jupiter and Saturn were outed, but I could be wrong.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pierce_The_Heavens posted:

As far as playable areas go, seems like we'll get only one explore mode area pr celestial body, but I imagine a fair few more areas will show up as either crucible maps, raids, or various other directed map experiences. One explore zone per area is, to me, no indicator of a lack of content.

It's not, no. But it's a minor warning flag, given that early announcements/promises indicated a wider variety of places to go and things to explore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Core gameplay didn't blow me away. Let me see if there's more of the stuff that bored me before I decide to buy this game or not

There's a difference between 'didn't blow me away' and 'bored me'. There's a line beyond which one could reasonably say 'this gameplay is so good that I'm pre-ordering regardless of how big or long the game is'. And on the other end of the line you don't pre-order or put down your money until you have some more solid information.

It's called being a halfway informed, rational consumer and it's super fun.

• Locked thread