Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
I'm in if you'll have me.

I haven't played Mafia here before but I've played it offline (although the rules seem a bit different), so I guess we'll see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
I did already read the standard rules on the wiki, but thanks for the advice.

(Biggest difference I've noticed so far -- none of the offline games I played in flipped the roles of dead players.)

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh, wow. I've never played a no-flip game before. Seen 'em, never played. How many games did town win, on average?

Wasn't really counting, but they definitely won some. I think the scum team might have been relatively small.

In retrospect the lack of information does take a lot of the strategy out of it. But playing offline is very different from a forum game in any case.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

##confirm

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Why is the miller called a "miller" anyway? I don't really see what the name has to do with the effect.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Liberal Crime Squad Mafia is the best idea I've heard all day.

But would the LCS be town or scum? :confused:

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

The OP was deliberately cagey about whether Nobles are really town or not.

SoS, can you elaborate on your role? Is "declare someone hated each day, and is permanently hated once revealed" the entirety of your ability?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Mafia edit: I guess if you have more tricks up your sleeve you're not about to share with the class. But still, the timing seems pretty odd.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

The nobles might all be individually aligned (some town, some third party, some scum maybe) rather than an entire faction unto themselves; in fact it seems more likely because SoS's day 1 nobleclaim would make little sense if they were a hidden faction all aligned together (unless something really odd is going on with their win condition, or SoS is actually very stupid).

On SoS: I wouldn't be against lynching a noble, but we may not learn much from an SoS lynch right now. I do kinda wish I knew if the CPig condemnation was for an actual reason though. (If someone is an unusual third party or whatever, does the flip include any kind of explanation usually?)

If MEDS is saying what I think they're saying -- and if it's actually true -- I don't really want to lynch them yet, but they're acting pretty drat weird and also I have no idea how to react to someone asserting "half of a gambit." I mean come on.

The case against 3E seems awfully weak to me honestly. I mean, was there even anything to it besides a shaky-sounding reading of BN as town?

I don't understand why being slow to contribute is suspicious in someone who's still getting used to this game, but unfortunately the horrible jerks pointing fingers at me seem at least plausibly town so far.

Long story short, I'm not buying what MEDS is selling and I don't have a better idea on anyone else.

##vote MEDS CURE SCHIZOS

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Ugh, fine. I'll gamble on me being a bad judge of character then, because that's usually not a bad bet.

##unvote
##vote ThirdEmperor

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Odd. Can't remember you even bringing me up until now. Of course, a couple others did but there wasn't much reasoning besides "not active enough." Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Wow. I guess the newbie makes an easy target.

As for Hal, I don't think there was ever a real case against him, unless MEDS had an actual reason for the immediate "joke" vote. But we didn't have a Night zero, right?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

I know other people have said this, but Jefepato is the scum. His huge post at the last 8 minutes reeked of "my scum team told me to post something so I'd better let my views of everybody be known."

The people pointing fingers at me for not being very active are what told me to get my rear end in gear and post stuff. Then work+dinner ran late and I didn't get the chance to review the thread and post until kinda late that day.

Dr. Hurt posted:

His vote on 3E

reads like a total asscovering (as well as his sentence of "I don't think 3E is scum" line since that gets its own line right in the middle of his big post).

I did think the case on 3E was weak, but I decided to just gamble that the veteran players knew better than me, rather than risk a no-lynch (although SoS beat me to it). I was just annoyed because MEDS seemed really obvious.

I don't know what to think about MEDS now. Is there a reason a non-scum kill would get janitored? Or are there roles out there that flip blank on their own?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

You're misreading it.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

To rephrase with the implication clearly stated: "because he was janitored, I now suspect MEDS might have actually been the scum kill. Is there a reason I should not think this (i.e., a reason why he would flip blank even if he was scum killed by non-scum)?"

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

I'm starting to wonder if nobles might just be a red herring. "You win with the town for now but this may change later, also you shouldn't let on that you're a noble" (assuming Grandi can be trusted, but it doesn't sound like a self-serving thing someone would make up so I kinda believe it)?

It reminds me of the tabletop roleplaying thing where you visibly pass notes to players that say "Don't let the others know there is nothing on this note." Just stirring crap up.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Now seems as good a time to ask as any. How are deadlines working out so far for you guys? I was trying for a time that wouldn't conflict with other big games going on, but I don't know how successful I was.

So far so good. I'd assumed this day was just extended because of the weekend or something, but it doesn't matter much to me as long as we have enough notice to get things done.

CapitalistPig posted:

I didn't, my decision to vote hurt comes from him being scum and nothing with the supposed slip.

I said He sure did, but I was not referring to the same thing that TT was joking about.

Then what thing were you referring to? What did he sure do?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Is chaoslord still with us? It looks like he hasn't posted in like 5 days.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Actually it occurs to me, that back on page 25 CPig was insisting that Hurt was scum because

CapitalistPig posted:

He did a thing im not allowed to talk about.

This is pretty odd since CPig is also on the record claiming vanilla town...and as of just now so are you, Hurt?

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

I'm iffy on Hurt anyway. His case on me would've seemed sincere (even though it's wrong) if he wasn't in such a rush to get the heat off himself.

##vote CapitalistPig

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Uh...that sure was a thing.

If TT's a cop (I can tell you we're not masons) killing me now is dumb.

I mean, it's dumb anyway but come the gently caress on.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

:ghost: Go scum! :ghost:
:ghost: (glub) :ghost:

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

The only thing I did right this game was to peg MEDS as a cop on day 1 and point my scumbuddies at him. I actually suggested we strongman-kill him because I thought I couldn't be the only one to figure out his weird softclaim.

I'm slightly baffled by TT's defense of me; I can only assume he(?) misunderstood something? I admit I found it pretty funny that the tracker misread the ninja for reasons totally unrelated to the latter's power role, though.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

I tracked you nowhere. Between Ninja and literally anything else, I thought you as town was a safe call :eng99:

You tracked me accurately. I went nowhere.

The fact that you wouldn't have seen me go anywhere even if I did go somewhere never actually became an issue.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Why'd you choose not to do the kill, seeing as it's untrackable?

Juanito had to personally do the kill in order for us to see the janitored flip. We found it pretty useful to be the only ones who knew MEDS had been the cop.

Needless to say we didn't expect the ghost thing.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

Also I'd like to congratulate my scumbuddies for pulling this one off despite me. I was really happy to be scum in my first SA Mafia game but I clearly don't know how to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

It's pretty weird to see people saying I did well here when it felt like I was getting called out as scum all over the place during the game. But thanks.

In retrospect I suspect some of the accusations were just people trying to see how I'd react to pressure rather than me having really tipped my hand or anything, but half the time I really didn't grasp why people thought I was scum even though it was of course true. (I ended up basically ignoring posts that called me scum without really giving any reasoning; I have no idea how to respond to something like that decently.)

• Locked thread