Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
For this, I return to mafia. iinnnnnnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
In the spirit of Dorf Fortress, why not get a description of one instead?

This is an avatar. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with JPEG artifacts.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Real life mafia games are almost always awful.

I think the worst I ever saw was one where the town didn't even get a day phase until the sheriff died. So it was ten minutes of sitting with their eyes closed as the scum and sheriff pointed at random people.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Dr. Hurt posted:

What kind of idiot mayor was running that game.

A person who got pissy when I took over.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
In the spirit of bastard roles, I suggest you give it to me, because I haven't volunteered.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
##confirm
Roleclaim time!

I'm Urist.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Sooo... Anonymous double voter?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I always assumed it was because whoever invented Mafia was a Smart Person with The Right Opinions and hated the evil of gluten. :shrug:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Opopanax posted:

I like Ricky Gervais and I like Derek :colbert:

Derek is the best show I absolutely refuse to watch. It's just so cringe inducing I find myself looking for excuses to escape.

mr.capps posted:

season 4 of arrested development is actually one of the best seasons of the show

This, however, is flat out wrong and you sir are terrible. Splitting up the characters killed what made the show work, the interactions they did have had to be pasted together through constant doubling back and overuse of narration, and shoving guest star comedians in to fill the gap was a terrible idea - granting an exception for Ben Stiller's gay magician act, which was genius.

It's all so tediously constructed, like when your friend is trying to tell a joke, but can't stop doubling back to correct himself and add in pointless details.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I have Opinions about television that's not even real television.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

mr.capps posted:

itt capps destroys your bad opinions

hey who here hates prometheus despite it actually being a good movie

Prometheus is an absolutely terrible movie

that you should still watch, with a giant bowl of popcorn. The thematics are wonderful and so is the guy playing the robot.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I don't like Fry.

##vote Philip J. Fry

Overdone 'humor', jumping aboard once somebody else voiced suspicion. Generally awkward.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Big Nothing posted:

i must admit i did not get a bastard role. Very original role though!

What is the point of this? What are you telling us with this post?

Why are you posting white noise?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Except we're in a semi-role-madness game and it's safe to assume everyone's a power role.

Going 'hmmm... interesting... veeeery interesting' serves no purpose save to incite my wrath.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Look at SoS hedging, afraid to make a call one way or the other. That's a scum if I ever saw one.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Kumbamontu posted:

3E have you played with big Nothing before?

I think you have but I don't remember

Yep. I'm feeling fairly good about him this game, he responded well to pressure.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I'm bored and have nothing better to do than Netflix.

People who like OistNB, if the first three episodes just didn't click for me, should I keep watching? Does it 'get better'?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
This has gotten gay.

I approve.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I demand proof that you were ever :airquote: funny :airquote:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Holy poo poo. I need to read that game.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
:stare: Hooooooly poo poo why did I quit mafia and miss this

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Philip J. Fry posted:

It was a gem man, so much fun to follow.

Actually I'm sort of pissed now, Baka Emperor is now only the third funniest mafia thing this year

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Does Crawl count? I'd run a Crawl Mafia

Or a Liberal Death Squad Mafia

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Somberbrero posted:

I guess we could always lynch based on who has the worst opinions about TV.

Please no.

In all seriousness, I'm feeling iffy about Fry. I'd be pushing harder if I'd played with him before and knew this wasn't just his meta.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

The Science of Suck posted:

Please explain the meta/vibes on Fry

He's been responding in an awkward, forced manner, jumped on Yuming as soon as somebody else had thrown moderate suspicion her way. Kind of no liking the way he didn't respond to my vote on him, but did respond to the person he knew and was ( presumably ) more comfortable with. That last one might be stretching a little, but hell, it's not like there's been anything much to read on today

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Are you new? Cause that seems like standard CP to me - When there's more material in the thread, if he's still quiet, then I'll be suspicious.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
'but it was a joooooke vote!'

Yeah, uh, no. The timing and the awkwardness of it, make me think you're scum and were trying to build momentum on Yuming under the pretense of a joke.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Somberbrero posted:

Maybe mafia theory has Evolved but that seems dumb. What do you do day two? The lynch is one of those few things the town controls.

This is right.

Also, OitNB is pretty good.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Rascyc posted:

There is no mafia theory, I'm just saying there are very few people interested in ever lynching a lurker d1 and it's almost impossible to get everyone onto one single lurker lynch. In my experience people will just skip the day entirely and not give it much thought until d2

Why are you so drat focused on the scenario of 'lurker lynch vs. nothing'

Gimme a drat read on someone, asap.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Rascyc posted:

or else ... ?

Why would you not?

Seriously, why would you not give a read, in a game based entirely on reading people? Why are you actively against participating?

And Fry, it's a thing and it gets done. Scum plant a 'jokey' vote on someone who looks like they might gather suspicion as the day goes on, so they can be early on the bandwagon without having to contribute more than 'oh, well, I was joking, but then it was a good case so I stayed.'

PS- Capps knows

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
So, Rascyc, no comment on my stance regarding you and actually contributing some words of merit?

No intent at all to participate in this game as a townie?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I don't like people who contribute one crappy read, whine about how the day's going to end in a lurker lynch because 'nobody is reading guys' and then OMGUS's all over the place.

'Oh gee, I think the guy pushing me is scum, but I'm not an OMGUS cause I think this other guy is scummy for the same reason, but they can't both be scum, so I guess it's only the guy pushing on me' (last part extrapolated from where you were obviously headed.)

But hey, at least pressuring you got you to give a read.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Yeah, whatever. The things you seem to think I'm saying aren't more than casually related to the things I'm actually saying

I'm not arguing against your logic for only wanting to vote both me and Fry, but I am saying you never intended to vote Fry at all, you only named him because you knew it would be dumb to just accuse the person pressuring you. It was just a prelude to your next post, OMGUS'ing your rear end off.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I play angry.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Juanito posted:

Also I'm doing free observations so if you'd like one ~~ just ask ~~

Big Nothing, whatcha think of him?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Science of Suck isn't town, but a noble. In fact I'm certain of it. There's nooooo way someone as important as 'the Mayor' wouldn't be a noble.
So... Yeah, I'm voting SoS until I hear more about this Noble faction.

##Vote SoS

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Philip J. Fry posted:

Whats the deal here?

Nobles are probably not entirely on our side, going by the OP and knowledge of the source material.

And SoS is being cagey on telling us anything about them. Which is veeeery suspicious.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

The Science of Suck posted:

Who said i was a noble or knew anything about them?

You are. This is a lame response at best, and only once I'd asked the question again.

Is everyone else seriously not seeing this as suspicious? His role is pretty clearly built around 'The Mayor' being obviously a noble.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Opopanax posted:

I literally said suspicious twice and posted a bunch of sirens. Get it together bakaemporer

Oh, I don't really count you. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Oh, I wake up and I'm the vote leader. Great.

Kumbamontu posted:

The meta argument doesn't have anything to do with either player's specific meta. The point I'm getting to is he called out BN for just being BN, but when CPig is just being CPig, he readily admits that that's what's happening and it's fine. It doesn't make sense to treat them differently, unless he has more information than we do (because he's scum)

Kumbamontu posted:

For even more context, that last comment I quoted from 3E about BN's "good response to pressure" was literally this

3E divined a town read from BN on that post. I call bullshit.

Nope nope nope. You call me out for letting CPig slide on his Cpiggery, and say I didn't do the same for BN being a Big Nothing, but then you quote the post where I, in fact, do let BN slide and give him a good mark in my books, and quibble with that as well.

Usually I rely on meta reads for the first day or so, and I've been out of the game for a while. I saw BN post something that struck me as odd, couldn't quite pin down whether it was the 'normal' odd I remembered or something outside his town game, so I prodded him a little and was satisfied his answer wasn't awkward - except in the way you'd expect.

BN is pretty easy to read guys.

• Locked thread