Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

if scared of death, smoke a large amount of DMT.

repeat as many times as necessary to permanently quell existential angst. only took me about 3 goes fwiw

yeah but then you stop fearing death and start fearing the machine elves

at least i would. gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

“One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush. From the studies of Krafft-Ebbing onward, we know that it is possible to become excited about anything—from shins to shoehorns. But it would be nice if just one of these gushing eggheads would step back and, as a concession to objectivity, speak the truth: THERE IS NOTHING INNATELY IMPRESSIVE ABOUT THE UNIVERSE OR ANYTHING IN IT.”

He missed the point that it is on the individual to decide for himself as to what to take awe in.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
lol somebody posted about thomas ligotti

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

He missed the point that it is on the individual to decide for himself as to what to take awe in.

i think his view is there's objectively nothing worth being awestruck about

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i think his view is there's objectively nothing worth being awestruck about

I'd love to ask him. "What is art?"

And for an explanation of his own work.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

Can anyone fancy that up? It's rather boring.

Sure. I propose the following additions to the English language, just to popularize the idea that we all die alone.

Words

Deatherosexual: Like being asexual, because you're dead. No Tumblr for you.

Lonelyikes!: The feeling you get when you're surprised because you've been alone for some time and are suddenly dead.

Necronymous: The condition of being dead and inevitably forgotten.

Funeralmost: People gathering to celebrate the person you pretended to be while you were alive, rather than the person you actually were, revealed yourself to be while dying, and who they found repellent and were relieved to be rid of.

Phrases

It's worth turning "everyone dies alone" inside out. Dying isn't as much about a person being gone as much as it is a process of pushing away the people closest to you -- either because you're leaving them behind in death or have become such an inconvenience that you effectively kill off your closest relationships.

So when you're dying, you're not just leaving. You're a kind of killer, right? The you that people liked and is going to be killed off by the less-likable you who's scared, depressed, frustrated, and confused by his or her impending death. So:

quote:

We all die murderers
or

quote:

All deaths are murders
those make sense.

Of course that misses the intimacy that makes the process of dying really, really horrible -- you don't just murder your relationships by dying. You murder your relationships with the people closest to you. And all of them. I'm sure you can see where this is going. So:

quote:

Every death murders a village
or

quote:

Every death murders a household
those make sense too.

But we can get a little more profound. Every relationship carries with it an unacknowledged truth: that the relationship itself will end not at death, but at some time before death. That's horrible, and we pretend that exactly the opposite is true as a kind of defense -- you know, that the dying are kind and wise, and that deathbeds are family gathering places instead of lonely, antiseptic, and deliberately isolated corners where mortality takes out the trash.

So we're not really any more distant from the kinds of murder we commit as we die. In fact, we're as close to it as we are to the villages and households we kill by dying. So:

quote:

Murder, you are family
or the shorter

quote:

Murder you're famil;
those also make sense.

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011
Dying seems like a big relief tbh. Im pretty stoked about not giving a gently caress forever.

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

I do not fear death, but rather am only certain of my own disappointment when it comes my time. Disappointment that the full breadth of my ambition is not yet finished, and will remain forever incomplete.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I don't fear my own death nearly as much as I fear the deaths of others.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
This is all super profound but Wendigee's avatar looks like it's being strangled to death so I'm laughing.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
You can never die alone as long as you are remembered, you hold the weight of the dead, and tells others the travels.

best quote.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I'd love to ask him. "What is art?"

And for an explanation of his own work.

i think he would say beauty and art are lies we tell ourselves to help distract from the truth: that we are nothing but spoiling meat on crumbling bones on a rock hurtling through an uncaring void and we are all going to die and go away forever

as for what that has to say about his own work, i dunno i'm not done reading yet :shrug:

i think he admits he's distracting himself too

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
I, for one, plan on being spontaneously reformed as a Boltzmann brain. See y'all in about 10^10^10^10^10^10^10 years.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i think he would say beauty and art are lies we tell ourselves to help distract from the truth: that we are nothing but spoiling meat on crumbling bones on a rock hurtling through an uncaring void and we are all going to die and go away forever

as for what that has to say about his own work, i dunno i'm not done reading yet :shrug:

i think he admits he's distracting himself too

It's cool yo. He's just a nihilist.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

It's cool yo. He's just a nihilist.

yeah i like nihilism

also atheism

sounds weird but it makes me feel good, you know? i'd be really pissed if it turned out there was a higher power ruling over me -- even if i got into heaven (which i wouldn't because lol)

plus eternity anywhere sounds real loving tedious. like to the point that i used to get freaked out about it as a kid, thinking how much it would suck to live 5 billion years and know it wasn't even close to the end

i don't care if there are 5 billion angels to suck my dick. that poo poo would get old

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
"when you fall, trees will grow, and your bones will be the cement of a great empire, and your blood the lakes the size no man has ever seen"

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

A misanthrope posted:

yeah i like nihilism

also atheism

sounds weird but it makes me feel good, you know? i'd be really pissed if it turned out there was a higher power ruling over me -- even if i got into heaven (which i wouldn't because lol)

plus eternity anywhere sounds real loving tedious. like to the point that i used to get freaked out about it as a kid, thinking how much it would suck to live 5 billion years and know it wasn't even close to the end

i don't care if there are 5 billion angels to suck my dick. that poo poo would get old

lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

yeah i like nihilism

also atheism

Same. There's confidence to be gained in knowing you are the master of your own destiny, random poo poo notwithstanding.

Also, Christian heaven sucks and it doesn't even make sense why folks would be motivated to get there.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wendigee posted:

and why is this a fearful phrase? You are born alone knowing nothing and coming from non-existence.

I suspect you die alone and return to non-existence.

I've been thinking a bit recently about "passing on" and honestly... nothing about it is really worrisome. You just cease to be, as you were before you were born. You basically return to non existence. What else would be better?

And if you came from non-existence before, it stands to reason you'd come again and again. There's a sort of sense to reincarnation.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

yeah i like nihilism

also atheism

You make atheism sound like a belief structure. :D

So Devil's advocate here, remember that it's supposed to be eternal bliss. Bliss can mean anything that gives pleasure. So eternity of doing anything and everything that ever brought you happiness. It's an attractive offer.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
"At the end, you will be greeted by angels, and gifts, and you will rise, sword in hand."

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

Also, Christian heaven sucks and it doesn't even make sense why folks would be motivated to get there.

right? you don't even get angel blowjobs

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I'd love to die but I have such a full schedule I don't think I can fit it in during this universe.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

You make atheism sound like a belief structure. :D

So Devil's advocate here, remember that it's supposed to be eternal bliss. Bliss can mean anything that gives pleasure. So eternity of doing anything and everything that ever brought you happiness. It's an attractive offer.

nah i mean realizing there was no god had the added bonus of freeing me from existential fear of eternity

and try doing something you love doing every day for 10 years straight. you would get sick of that poo poo. now try doing it for 10 billion years with the prospect of another infinity years ahead of you

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

then think how god would feel living for eternity

no wonder he's loving crazy

jk there is no god lol

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

congratulations redshirt and a misanthrope on sharing the banal spiritual outlook you're too old for

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

nah i mean realizing there was no god had the added bonus of freeing me from existential fear of eternity

:agreed:

A misanthrope posted:

and try doing something you love doing every day for 10 years straight. you would get sick of that poo poo. now try doing it for 10 billion years with the prospect of another infinity years ahead of you

There are many things that I do now that I would love to spend a thousand years attempting to perfect.

And there are an infinite number of things I have yet to find, that I would love the same amount of time to enjoy.

I have but one lifetime.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Cucking Mama posted:

congratulations redshirt and a misanthrope on sharing the banal spiritual outlook you're too old for

thanks cucking for having the worst opinions in the thread like you always do :haw:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

cucking's god is a big fat penis in his mouth

he fears death because it means the end of blowing dudes

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

A misanthrope posted:

yeah i like nihilism

also atheism

lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cucking Mama posted:

So bitter for such a young person. I weep for the future.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

redshirt posted:

So bitter for such a young person. I weep for the future.

How about you make my penis weep some cum, with your mouf

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
never before have i witnessed such brutal and severe ownage, shiiiiiiit

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

it's all bullshit. I don't enjoy videogames as much as I used to and I'm pretty sure heaven would get old so fast

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Cucking Mama posted:

it's all bullshit. I don't enjoy videogames as much as I used to and I'm pretty sure heaven would get old so fast

lol u play video games

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

videogames kick rear end

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Cucking Mama posted:

videogames kick rear end

yeah i was just kidding i like video games

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A misanthrope posted:

yeah i was just kidding i like video games

Same, let's play some Warcraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

They might be physically present, but they are not experiencing what you are experiencing and thus could not be fully "with" you. hth

This is why you make them drink the punch with you. Its cool though because you and all your brethren are all going to heaven to meet God and be a happy family.

• Locked thread