Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When you CGI real things with real things its going to look good, but CGI a transformer in there and that is not going to look right how hard you try.

Also Tom Cruise movie actually had some pretty good cgi, the aliens didn't look too good but everything else was pretty great. Liked that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I thought the aliens were good because they seemed designed to try and circumvent the limitations of CGI. They were just bundles of nerves and lights the skittered and rolled everywhere so even though they were fake-looking they still came across as unearthly and dangerous.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mind the walrus posted:

I thought the aliens were good because they seemed designed to try and circumvent the limitations of CGI. They were just bundles of nerves and lights the skittered and rolled everywhere so even though they were fake-looking they still came across as unearthly and dangerous.

Yeah the design and behavior were great, but there were some shots later on where they kinda stop going for that otherwordly feel.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

Can you modernize a Carpenter film? The new Thing sucked. Imagine a remake/redo of Escape from NY, They Live, Big Trouble, etc.

escape from new york's aesthetics have been copied in every videogame set in a decaying city. the movie is hilarious (and campy but not so much that it's totally frivolous) largely because the movie hits on a certain truth about the new york city of the 70/80s, so modernizing it would necessarily turn it into a completely different movie.

also i admire how snake plissken is a parody of the lone wolf hero type, even though both kurt russell and carpenter are out-and-pround libertarians, in how snake callously ignores a rape and destroys the device that could save mankind, etc. theyre honest enough to admit the contradictions and limitations of their rugged individualist beliefs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The new thing didn't suck because of the concept, it was just really mediocre and not very interesting

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair the concept was pretty poo poo too. We all knew how it had to end so there was no tension nor ambiguity, and because the concept was nearly indistinguishable from the original there was no guesswork into how things had to play out either. The worst part was the two elements that could have made the movie even remotely different--language/culture barriers and gender differences--weren't played up in the slightest.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Robocop remake was a pretty great movie in its own right, it just wasn't a goofy 80s action movie satirizing 80s corporate politics

It was above average. I liked the new road they took it down a lot and the world they built but it really suffered from terrible motivationless villians and kind of pointless plot.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
CGI for backgrounds usually looks good. CGI blood in game of thrones still looks off, and every creature that is CGI (like dragons) looks terrible. If they used todays CGI to try and recreate the scenes in The Thing it'd look terrible as well.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The dragons look good for TV, man

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

The dragons look good for TV, man

They look dumb as hell.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Oakdale posted:

Or Stuart Gordon's school. See From Beyond: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091083/?ref_=nv_sr_1

In case anyone else is interested in checking it out, I found it on Hulu : http://www.hulu.com/watch/111989

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
10 minutes in and feeling good

Later, at the Asylum:

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 21, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It bit off his head...

like a Gingerbread Man!

Touch me if it pleases you.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 21, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I still can't decide if From Beyond is a really really great Lovecraft movie or just an ok one. It's definitely underrated in the scheme of 80s body horror though.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
So far, I'm impressed:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In some ways it feels like the best 80s Cronenberg that wasn't done by Cronenberg.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

mr.capps posted:

Oh the other thing is that Childs isn't breathing.

He is though, if you look closely you can plainly see his breath fogging. It just isn't as pronounced as MacReady's due to the lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338
1:28 is the most obvious example

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sold!

I must now watch this.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VendaGoat posted:

Sold!

I must now watch this.

It's a good movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It really is. The first act is definitely the best though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

K. Waste posted:

The best praise I've ever heard of the film (don't remember where), is that it's like the anti-2001. Obviously, it's easy to see how the concept of 'truckers in space' would eventually come to be used in Ridley Scott's Alien (based on Dan O'Bannon's original script); but the movie's also in many ways a cynical reflection on how as technology has raced forward, human culture has become more self-obsessed and inwardly drawn.

I shouldn't have to tell this to anyone in this thread, but Dan O'Bannon was in Dark Star - he played Pinback - and it was where he got the idea for Star Beast. So, Dark Star really is the cinematic parent of Alien.

• Locked thread