Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Somebody mentioned Hank Williams III in this thread - I remember that the original Hank Williams was pretty kick-rear end, but wasn't the nu-version really not pleasant? Or was that the 2nd H. Williams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Skippy Granola posted:

I keep forgetting that there was a time before plot and pacing in FPS games. Levels are less chapters in a story than simply arenas full of enemies, and for a game ostensibly about Rednecks defending their turf from marauding alien sumbitches, we're surprisingly light on aliens. Here's hoping for a plot development sooner or later. Or at least a new gun.
I don't know whether there's a joke I'm missing, but this is exactly it: this is a Build game; contemporary of Duke3D and the original Shadow Warrior. You were supposed to take pleasure in the pure act of shootin' dudes.
Now, I'm not qualified to talk about oldschool shooter level design past some ten years of playing .wads for Doom, but the idea is that you play for the game itself, not for story or pacing or conclusions. I will concede that RR is by far the worst of the Build engine shooters but that's a flaw of the individual design choices - weapons, level layouts, enemies - and not the concept itself. Hell, I can still have fun playing through Blood or the original Doom levels.

Now kindly put an apostrophe after every third "y" and a "Yeehaw!" after every full stop in the above to get back to the spirit of the tread.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Samovar posted:

Somebody mentioned Hank Williams III in this thread - I remember that the original Hank Williams was pretty kick-rear end, but wasn't the nu-version really not pleasant? Or was that the 2nd H. Williams?

I'm not sure which Hank Williams you're talking poo poo about here, soooo... I guess I'll just leave this post alone!

Also I guess I don't really have that much of an opinion on the Hank Williams clan, other than I like Hank Williams and Hank Williams III, not-so-much Hank Williams, Jr.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

D_W posted:

When it comes to silly Canadian town names I think Happy Adventure, Newfoundland takes the cake.

I couldn't find a youtube link for it, but the Arrogant Worms have a song called A Night on Dildo that has juuuuuust a few of these.

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:
Hey Skippy, I just wanted to say that I think this thread is great and I hope you keep up the good work.

But, Please stop asking me to post hentai in your thread. I'm just not going to do that for you Skippy.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
But how am I gonna shake my wiggle stick and get my psychobilly freak on?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
And to think that Redneck Rampage was supposedly one of the games thought prudent to make into a movie, along with Descent and Fallout. Apparently Redneck Rampage had to be made before Fallout because...erm...to be honest, I don't remember the logic of it but I wouldn't rule out the rise of Uwe Boll had something to do with this.

Now that I come to think about it, maybe the whole Point Lookout DLC for Fallout 3 might have been an accurate display on what the Fallout community thought of this preferential treatment of its backwoods kin.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I sure don't wanna make this a high effort LP but wouldn't it be fun to shamelessly rip off Bobbin Threadbare's "Bands You etc etc" segments And jabber about good tunes and bands?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh my god. I actually remember playing this years and years ago and I probably still have the bloody discs somewhere in the house.
Also just from watching the first video I know this is going to be a magical journey. :allears:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLSbCtinXs

On Disc DLC
Sep 20, 2012
Played the crap out of this as a kid. Game gets dang ol hard tell ya what.

Hard to a 12 year old that is.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I may be one of the few people out there who is genuinely a fan of this game, and I can assure you folks that this game has one whopper of a plot behind it that I'd be happy to share!

You see them dag gan' Aliens done come and stole your and Bubba's prize pig and replaced the town with evil clones of its normal... six? residents.

Great LP Skippy, looking forward to some of the later levels and their absurd difficulty.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Oh man...I'm crying over here!

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Morbidmind posted:

I may be one of the few people out there who is genuinely a fan of this game, and I can assure you folks that this game has one whopper of a plot behind it that I'd be happy to share!

You see them dag gan' Aliens done come and stole your and Bubba's prize pig and replaced the town with evil clones of its normal... six? residents.

Great LP Skippy, looking forward to some of the later levels and their absurd difficulty.

I was going to spend the rest of my life wondering why they gave a recurring monster a specific name. Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life wondering why they gave a different recurring monster a general name.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Time to crack open the manual I guess! Will update the OP with relevant information in the next couple days.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Brother, this is gold… in them thar hills.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Please. It's not an error that the Billy Rays are still holding a shotgun as they drop one for you to pick up. They're just always carrying multiple shotguns.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

heenato posted:

Please. It's not an error that the Billy Rays are still holding a shotgun as they drop one for you to pick up. They're just always carrying multiple shotguns.

I assume you mean scattergun :colbert:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

'Taint thur scattergun anyways. s'mahn.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Skippy Granola posted:

'Taint thur scattergun anyways. s'mahn.

Ay dunno wha' ding-dang-skull-scattergun man dunno wha' y'all talkin' bout mahn gonna gonna hafeta see a a psychiatris' mahn dunno whatchoo mean mahn.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Great Joe's post about Letterkenny Problems reminded me that as with any species that finds itself scattered hither and yon upon the continents, Rednecks come in many colors, sizes, and modes of transportation. Thus, I would like to spotlight one particular off-shoot of 'Neck that I am personally familiar with; the Southwest Florida Swampbuggy racer, or rather, the Swamp Buggy.

Now, imagine you live in the middle of the widest, most shallow river in the world, a.k.a the Florida Everglades before it all got drained off real estate development. Sure you can use your flat-bottom scullers to poke around the mangroves, and slide over some of the shallower parts, but to really get anywhere, you need something bigger. Something burlier. Something with balloon tires like the breasts of yer second cousin after she'n hit puberty an' they blew up like Cletus Jr.'s face after he hit that nest o' wasps with his slingshot.

That there is yer bog-standard (heh) swamp buggy. T'ain't fancy n' t'ain't fast, but she'll git 'er done, right enuff!

But much like the Model T to the Mustang, modern swamp buggies look nothing like their progenitors. In fact, they look more like someone crashed a cigarette boat into a tractor shed, and then built a top fuel dragster out of the usable parts.

Seriously.

When I was about eight or so, my dad took me and my sister to the Naples Swamp Buggy races (then located just off Radio Road), and we spent that day watching these bastard machines roaring around a mile log course of mud and water. Below is a video taken of the 2013 races. Witness these majestic beasts as they rip down the line, only to get swallowed by the Sippy Hole!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vMNEBe6GM

Brings a tear to my eye. Truly.

For a bit more information, mosey on over to the Wikipedia article, iff'n ya'll so desire!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Skippy Granola posted:

I keep forgetting that there was a time before plot and pacing in FPS games. Levels are less chapters in a story than simply arenas full of enemies, and for a game ostensibly about Rednecks defending their turf from marauding alien sumbitches, we're surprisingly light on aliens. Here's hoping for a plot development sooner or later. Or at least a new gun.
Keep playing, yer in fer a treat.

As for music, holy hell son you gotta get you some tunes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8090hevdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8d3095gok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcyAF4lz04

Country Dick Montana was an amazing singer. Here he is story singing at his best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUzRD7zQe8

Turn yer goldurn stereo up as high as it can go and play this song!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VCHj2OSdw

YEEEEE-HAWWWWWW!!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CuddleChunks posted:

Country Dick Montana was an amazing singer. Here he is story singing at his best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUzRD7zQe8
When it comes to story singing I don't think anyone can beat Jim Stafford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpapdB-bCFI

As for some Redneck Rampage music, turn down the lights and go for something smooth with the Austin Lounge Lizards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cplrc2Z2FiE

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bathroomrage posted:

Ay dunno wha' ding-dang-skull-scattergun man dunno wha' y'all talkin' bout mahn gonna gonna hafeta see a a psychiatris' mahn dunno whatchoo mean mahn.

Thaht thur s'werst redneck mpersernation I evuh seen, tell yew wut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_SqnYJg-Ps
This here muht be a lil itsy bitsy on th' ded sahd but that boy sure can sang, yes he cayn.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 26, 2014

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Samovar posted:

Hank Williams, Jr. is the "are you ready for some football" guy. Hank Williams III is basically someone using a banjo to say "gently caress you, dad!" as hard as possible at Hank Williams, Jr.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Thaht thur s'werst redneck mpersernation I evuh seen, tell yew wut.

This here muht be a lil itsy bitsy on th' ded sahd but that boy sure can sang, yes he cayn.

:gonk: I can hear my diploma crying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Skippy Granola posted:

This game is definitely a product of its time.

What started that plot thing, anyway? Half-Life?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Glazius posted:

Superman 64! :downs:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm not sure if Half-life was the first game to do an actual plot thing, (and if you actually go back and play Half-life there's surprisingly little plot by modern standards) but it certainly was seen as the poster child for the whole 'games with good story' by a lot of people.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 27, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Neruz posted:

I'm not sure if Half-life was the first game to do an actual plot thing, (and if you actually go back and play Half-life there's surprisingly little plot by modern standards) but it certainly was seen as the poster child for the whole 'games with good story' by a lot of people.

IIRC, the original Legend of Zelda was the one that surprised people by having an honest to goodness story, even if it was only in the instructions, and didn't build during the game.

edit: if you mean FPS games, I'm not sure. The Doom games had story segments between stages, if you want to count that. There was also Star Wars: Dark forces. Also, System Shock was released in 1994.

azren fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Glazius posted:

If we're talking about old shooters, Marathon, by far. In 1993 you had hundreds of pages of plot and backstory in game and the ability to look up and down. Too bad it was Mac only. You could also argue Bungie's other early shooter, Pathways into Darkness, but that's really more of an RPG that happens to have guns.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

azren posted:

IIRC, the original Legend of Zelda was the one that surprised people by having an honest to goodness story, even if it was only in the instructions, and didn't build during the game.

edit: if you mean FPS games, I'm not sure. The Doom games had story segments between stages, if you want to count that. There was also Star Wars: Dark forces. Also, System Shock was released in 1994.

Yeah I meant FPS games, whoops. System Shock was another big name in FPS games with story that is true though I think a lot of FPS 'purists' saw System Shock as not really a 'true' FPS. Half-life wasn't the only game but it was definitely one of the biggest and most noticable ones, if not the biggest.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Neruz posted:

Yeah I meant FPS games, whoops. System Shock was another big name in FPS games with story that is true though I think a lot of FPS 'purists' saw System Shock as not really a 'true' FPS. Half-life wasn't the only game but it was definitely one of the biggest and most noticable ones, if not the biggest.

There were quite a few RPG/FPS hybrids which had a plot accessible from the game itself rather than the manual, but what made Half Life unique is that it is a pure FPS and its story is completely immersive. Loading screens are barely there, there are no dialog screens or minigame popups, and there are no cutscenes in which you don't have control from Gordon Freeman's perspective.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There were quite a few RPG/FPS hybrids which had a plot accessible from the game itself rather than the manual, but what made Half Life unique is that it is a pure FPS and its story is completely immersive. Loading screens are barely there, there are no dialog screens or minigame popups, and there are no cutscenes in which you don't have control from Gordon Freeman's perspective.

Exactly, there were other games that did the same things but Half-life was held up as 'the best example' of how to do story in FPS games. For awhile there Half-life was basically the standard against which FPS games were measured.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Exactly, there were other games that did the same things but Half-life was held up as 'the best example' of how to do story in FPS games. For awhile there Half-life was basically the standard against which FPS games were measured.

Which means that HL had good PR more than anything else. For example, Quake 2 had a pretty drat mission-centric structure that followed the invasion of the alien planet - but it apparently fell through since its level design is mostly terrible. Similarly, Blood 2 had strung its levels together with a story that explained even some pretty gimmicky levels - but who played that, eh?

For the record, it's not like the story of Half-life is good or anything. It's immersive due to the first person thing, sure, but it amounts to BAD SCIENCE ALIENS GET THE HELL OUT.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ahahahah oh man Blood was one of my favorite shooters back in the day. It was cheesy, had horrifying exploding gibs all over the screen and the shrieking of the evil monks when you set them on fire was haunting. It was over the top in terms of weapons and dark humor and I still love that goofy, gory game.

Redneck Rampage had some brutal levels and I look forward to seeing how the OP navigates through them. Keep a walkthrough handy because it's easy to miss a button somewhere and get stuck not being able to progress for a while. Ugh. Annoying. There's a fairly limited palette of enemies so you're gonna see the same half dozen for most of the game as I remember. You only really get weird in the very later levels.

The rusty, clunky old Build engine. Holy crap it got used for a bunch of amazing games: Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage and tons more that just used the engine. Here's more cool info about it: http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm There is a timeline of the Build Engine development straight from the guy who made it - Ken Silverman. Neat!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anime Reference posted:

Hank Williams, Jr. is the "are you ready for some football" guy. Hank Williams III is basically someone using a banjo to say "gently caress you, dad!" as hard as possible at Hank Williams, Jr.

Hope this cleared things up for you.

...but the spirit of Psychobilly is exactly that, using a banjo to say "gently caress you, dad!". And yet from the tone of your post you're implying it's a bad thing?

The guy says pop country sucks, and pop country does indeed suck. He also wrote a song about the infamous White family of Boone County, West Virginia, including Jesco White, the "Dancing Outlaw". As a homework assignment, I'd suggest everybody in this thread go watch Dancing Outlaw and The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. It'll really help you get into the spirit of the LP.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

azren posted:

:gonk: I can hear my diploma crying.

Y'all maht cud take sum a' that buklernin' n' 'preesheeate th' beauty a' owlternative dahlects. T'ain' wers', jus' diffren' an' ahd 'preesheeate yew keepin' yer classism outta 'eere, yes ah wood.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 27, 2014

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

King Vidiot posted:

...but the spirit of Psychobilly is exactly that, using a banjo to say "gently caress you, dad!". And yet from the tone of your post you're implying it's a bad thing?
No, I definitely think Hank Williams Jr. ranks very high on the list of people deserving of banjo-induced gently caress-you-Dads. Any scorn in that post was aimed squarely at being the "are you ready for some football" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Y'all maht cud take sum a' that buklernin' n' 'preesheeate th' beauty a' owlternative vernaculeer. T'ain' wers', jus' diffren' an' ahd 'preesheeate yew keepin' yer classism outta 'eere, yes ah wood.

:bang:

In all seriousness, though, I'm not actually trying to deride the legitimate dialect, it's just that the intentional writing style (see above) makes me hurt.

• Locked thread