Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KozmoNaut posted:

Dangit son, ya missed th' bowlin' ball!

Yeah, I kept expecting Skippy to show off the bowling but then he didn't even go into the lanes area for that long, if at all. The first time I saw interactive bowling in a BUILD engine game I was blown away, like what couldn't you do in that engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
Just dropping in to say that I like this LP. Keep up the good work!

Plus this thread got me to try a Goo-Goo Cluster for the first time. They're pretty good, kinda like a s'more would be if it were made like a Turtle without the graham cracker.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I kept expecting Skippy to show off the bowling but then he didn't even go into the lanes area for that long, if at all. The first time I saw interactive bowling in a BUILD engine game I was blown away, like what couldn't you do in that engine?

Re-watching the video I totally got distracted on account of a fear of dying. No worries though- I still have a save so I'll go on back and check it out!

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I remember giving the bowling a lot of tries, never made a strike. It was a rather inaccurate system. I do remember the hunting rifle was one of my favorite weapons despite the recoil, short controlled bursts made for many dead aliens.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I think this thread needs more focus on the good aspects of redneck culture. For instance, rednecks love tellin stories and also a lot of common sayings are pretty folksy, and believe it or not but rednecks came up with many of the same sayings completely independently of the rest of the world. Please allow me to relate one to you, which I did not make up at all.

Jimbo was a big man with a big fambly. All his neighbors called him jumbo Jimbo, because everything about him was big, and also to differentiate him from young Jimbo, fat Jimbo, grampa Jimbo, and Jimbo. Jumbo Jimbo had a big ol triple-wide trailer, a big ol sprawl of acres and a couple a jumbo size pigs. Jumbo Jimbo's wife, named The Wife, was tired of all the silly names goin on in her fambly and decided to start naming her babies nice names she read in a magazine when she went into town that one time. The next couple a kids that came out was twin girls. Jumbo Jimbo wanted to name em Sally 1 and Sally 2, but The Wife wouldn't have it. She decided to name them both Pearl, on account of them pretty much being the same, and if she thought of another name later she'd give it to one of em.

Jumbo Jimbo wasn't a great daddy but he tried as best he could. He liked to take young'uns around with him for chores, so they'd start learnin early. Chuckin the trash into the hog yard for the pigs to eat is a job just about any kid can do, so that's where he was with the Pearls when he heard a terrified yell. Fat Jimbo and Jimbo had got in a fight, and Jimbo had tackled Fat Jimbo, but they had fallen on Grampa Jimbo and probably broke somethin. young Jimbo was too little to untangle em and get em up, and needed Jumbo Jimbo's help. Jumbo Jimbo's hands were full of babies, so he set em down real gentle in the hog yard and ran off to help the Jimbos.

When the Jimbos got sorted out and came back to finish chores, the babies were gone....

And that is why you don't put Pearls before swine.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I recorded this audio on a repurposed opossum corpse, apparently. I did it for the thread!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

skoolmunkee posted:

I think this thread needs more focus on the good aspects of redneck culture. For instance, rednecks love tellin stories and also a lot of common sayings are pretty folksy, and believe it or not but rednecks came up with many of the same sayings completely independently of the rest of the world. Please allow me to relate one to you, which I did not make up at all.

Jimbo was a big man with a big fambly. All his neighbors called him jumbo Jimbo, because everything about him was big, and also to differentiate him from young Jimbo, fat Jimbo, grampa Jimbo, and Jimbo. Jumbo Jimbo had a big ol triple-wide trailer, a big ol sprawl of acres and a couple a jumbo size pigs. Jumbo Jimbo's wife, named The Wife, was tired of all the silly names goin on in her fambly and decided to start naming her babies nice names she read in a magazine when she went into town that one time. The next couple a kids that came out was twin girls. Jumbo Jimbo wanted to name em Sally 1 and Sally 2, but The Wife wouldn't have it. She decided to name them both Pearl, on account of them pretty much being the same, and if she thought of another name later she'd give it to one of em.

Jumbo Jimbo wasn't a great daddy but he tried as best he could. He liked to take young'uns around with him for chores, so they'd start learnin early. Chuckin the trash into the hog yard for the pigs to eat is a job just about any kid can do, so that's where he was with the Pearls when he heard a terrified yell. Fat Jimbo and Jimbo had got in a fight, and Jimbo had tackled Fat Jimbo, but they had fallen on Grampa Jimbo and probably broke somethin. young Jimbo was too little to untangle em and get em up, and needed Jumbo Jimbo's help. Jumbo Jimbo's hands were full of babies, so he set em down real gentle in the hog yard and ran off to help the Jimbos.

When the Jimbos got sorted out and came back to finish chores, the babies were gone....

The worst part about that is that if you know anything about pigs then there is a serious element of fridge horror there.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

:unsmith: Y'all tells a real good story there.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

This is a good story and I want more.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I just realized what this game uses as the "end-of-level" marker, like the glyphs you'd touch in Hexen.

Also, you can remember the non-hillbilly American stereotypes with this simple mnemonic: surfing football cowboy boxer. (Actually, there's some hillbilly in there too.)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Skippy, any man willing to put himself through Rage and terrible Build engine games for our enjoyment deserves respect, Canadian or no. I salute you good sir!

. . . Seriously though, this game is terrible from all sorts of FPS design aspects. The levels lack any good flow or coherent design, and this is coming from a guy who's played a lot of bad Doom wads.

EDIT:

quote:

Also, you can remember the non-hillbilly American stereotypes with this simple mnemonic: surfing football cowboy boxer. (Actually, there's some hillbilly in there too.)
AMERICAN! Gundam was great, but we know Windmill Gundam was the best Gundam.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 24, 2014

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Grimthwacker posted:

Skippy, any man willing to put himself through Rage and terrible Build engine games for our enjoyment deserves respect, Canadian or no. I salute you good sir!

What do you mean "put himself through" - Rage was excellent!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

klen dool posted:

What do you mean "put himself through" - Rage was excellent!
When it was focusing on the combat, yes, but I recall Skippy himself saying that he had a "love-hate" relationship with the scattershot design. But we're here to make fun of hillbillies and the games in which they star, which has been coming along quite swimmingly.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Surely I can't be the only person who knows some of these???

The town of Slapdash is up in the woody hills near the state line, and it's called such because it's so poor and put-together that's what it is. It's not even a town, just a couplea buildings and a fry shack that makes a convenient gettin-together place for the folks that live nearby. Three of these folks were younger fellas that grew up together, named Spank, Rob, and Ernest. There was a lot of crude talkin by that fry shack about huntin, fishin, eliminatin, and wimmin.

Spank in particular was a handsome fella, near six foot and mostly meat, with a beard that grew in even, and friendly enough I suppose. Most every week he'd head down to the road house for some drinkin, and in his words, "find me some gal who wants her sweet rear end Spanked." (I warned you there was some crude talk.) Rob and Ernest weren't so lucky in love- Rob tried, but he was no catch. Ernest was the best man of 'em but he was too shy to try. Being back-hills men they'd learned to be self-sufficient and could put together a solution to just about anything with bits and parts and elbow grease. Ernest ended up spendin most of his time tinkerin on his lonesome.

One day at the Slapdash fry shack, Rob revealed he'd been hidin the sausage real regular with a certain gal. She was a pretty little thing and immediately Spank's new favorite joke was how she was "gettin Robbed" (because his name was Rob, y'see, and also he was no catch). Rob paid him no nevermind. Everyone really was pretty content with their lives, even Ernest on his lonesome. He reckoned he could complain about the same amount of things he could be happy about, so that was al right.

Late on a rainy night drivin home from Slapdash to his cabin, Ernest saw a beat up ol farm truck slewed half off the muddy road, nose-down in a ditch. A lady was standin and shiverin wet behind it, fiddlin at something Ernest couldn't see. Now I said that Ernest was the best man of 'em, so he pulled his own truck over to give a hand. Turned out this gal had gotten into her mess by tryin not to hit a deer, bless her heart, but she couldn't get her winch rigged up right to pull her truck aright. This was easy as pie for Ernest and he had her rig on the road in no time. "I'm cold and I'm wet and I'm mighty grateful," this sweet miss told him. "My name's Penny, what's yours?"

And that is how folks learned that a Penny saved is a Penny Ern'ed.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 26, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

Surely I can't be the only person who knows some of these???

The town of Slapdash is up in the woody hills near the state line, and it's called such because it's so poor and put-together that's what it is. It's not even a town, just a couplea buildings and a fry shack that makes a convenient gettin-together place for the folks that live nearby. Three of these folks were younger fellas that grew up together, named Spank, Rob, and Ernest. There was a lot of crude talkin by that fry shack about huntin, fishin, eliminatin, and wimmin.

Spank in particular was a handsome fella, near six foot and mostly meat, with a beard that grew in even, and friendly enough I suppose. Most every week he'd head down to the road house for some drinkin, and in his words, "find me some gal who wants her sweet rear end Spanked." (I warned you there was some crude talk.) Rob and Ernest weren't so lucky in love- Rob tried, but he was no catch. Ernest was the best man of 'em but he was too shy to try. Being back-hills men they'd learned to be self-sufficient and could put together a solution to just about anything with bits and parts and elbow grease. Ernest ended up spendin most of his time tinkerin on his lonesome.

One day at the Slapdash fry shack, Rob revealed he'd been hidin the sausage real regular with a certain gal. She was a pretty little thing and immediately Spank's new favorite joke was how she was "gettin Robbed" (because his name was Rob, y'see, and also he was no catch). Rob paid him no nevermind. Everyone really was pretty content with their lives, even Ernest on his lonesome. He reckoned he could complain about the same amount of things he could be happy about, so that was al right.

Late on a rainy night drivin home from Slapdash to his cabin, Ernest saw a beat up ol farm truck slewed half off the muddy road, nose-down in a ditch. A lady was standin and shiverin wet behind it, fiddlin at something Ernest couldn't see. Now I said that Ernest was the best man of 'em, so he pulled his own truck over to give a hand. Turned out this gal had gotten into her mess by tryin not to hit a deer, bless her heart, but she couldn't get her winch rigged up right to pull her truck aright. This was easy as pie for Ernest and he had her rig on the road in no time. "I'm cold and I'm wet and I'm mighty grateful," this sweet miss told him. "My name's Penny, what's yours?"

And that is how folks learned that a Penny saved is a Penny Ern'ed.
:allears: I am loving these. Please tell me there's more, or even a repository filled with these somewhere.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Great Joe posted:

:allears: I am loving these. Please tell me there's more, or even a repository filled with these somewhere.

I don't have any shaggy dogs that are nearly as country as Skoolmunkee, but here's a personal favorite of mine...

Larry Lobster and Sam Clam where best friends. They did everything together. The only difference between them is that Larry was the nicest Lobster ever and Sam, well lets just say he was not so good.
Larry and Sam did so much together that they even died together.

Larry went to heaven and Sam went to hell.

Larry was doing well in heaven and one day St. Peter came up to him and said, "Larry, you know you are the nicest clam we ever had up here. Everyone likes you but you seem to be a bit depressed.

Tell me what is bothering you, maybe I can help."

Larry said, "Well, don't get me wrong Pete, I like it up here and everything, but I really miss my good friend Sam Clam. We used to do everything together and I really miss him a lot."

St. Peter looked at Larry with pity and said to him, "I tell you what, I can arrange it so that you can go down to hell tomorrow and visit Sam all day. How would that sound?"

This made Larry very happy and he got up bright and early the next morning and grabbed his wings, his harp, and his halo and got in the elevator to hell. When the doors opened he was met by Sam. The hugged each other and they were off. You see in Hell Sam owned a disco. The spent the day there together and had a great time. At the end of the day Larry and Sam went back to the elevator together said their goodbyes and Larry got back in the elevator and went up to heaven. He stepped off the elevator and was greeted by St. Peter who blocked the doorway to heaven. He looked at Larry and said, "Larry Lobster, didn't you forget something?"

Larry looked around and said, "No, I don't think so I have my halo and my wings."

St. Peter looked at him and said, "Yes, but what about your harp?" Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Every thread deserves fan-art, but not every thread deserves GOOD fan-art. With that being said I leave this artist's rendering of the OP here without comment.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Yessss more ridiculousness, so good

Sam clams disco make me angry laugh and I am pleased with the loving care put into that fine fellow

Great Joe posted:

:ssh: there are more when I make them

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I honestly had to look up Sam Clam's Disco, it was that bad. But I guess that's part of the charm. :allears:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Clayren posted:

Every thread deserves fan-art, but not every thread deserves GOOD fan-art. With that being said I leave this artist's rendering of the OP here without comment.

Oh my fuckin god it's like lookin into a mirror. The haunted expression, the poor hygiene, the Woody Guthrie reference on the shirt. TIME TO DO A RAD poo poo BANNER I GUESS

Edit: Updated the OP with all this loveliness

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2014

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Oh good! I've been trying to figure out how to work this into the thread, and that there portrait of our boy Leonard is just what I needed!

So ya'll're familiar-like with the great Cal Smith's hit song "Country Bumpkin", right? No? Well here, take a lissen to this so's ya'll can get where Imma comin' from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRnKYNlHVA

Okay, got that treacly melody in yer head? Got that sweet, syrupy refrain echoing in yer brains?

Good. 'Cause while I don't want to cast an rear end-per-ay-shuns on our dear boy Leonard, I do believe that he might be partial to some, uh, "alternate" lyrics.

"And he said 'Hello slutty pumpkin'"
"How much it cost me for a blumpkin"
"I've seen some gourds, but man yer something"
"Imma pork you , slutty pumpkin"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I want the end result of this thread to be a total King of the Hill conversion mod, starring Dale Gribble, and I want it on my desk YESTERDAY!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I know we had the earlier talk about jerked meat - and I can see why it is popular as a 'stereotypical' redneck food, for matters of taste AND practicality, but what other foods are included in popular redneck cusine, and (and thuis is a pretty hard-to-answer question I know) why?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Deer/venison is pretty common, I think, at least around my area. But it's mostly a "I shot and killed this animal, and I'm going to eat it" kind of thing.

One guy I knew from Boy Scouts (He was one of the adult leaders, if I remember correctly) caught squirrels, and cooked 'em. He brought some for people to try during a camping trip.

Then there's also fish. Which I honestly don't know too much of specifics. Catfish is a big one, but I think that's more a general Southern thing. I can't recall if I ever met someone who actually went noodling though. At least not regularly.

Though that does remind me of what could be one of the most redneck-y fishing method: lying down and floating on an inner tube with fishing pole in hand. At least most one of the most redneck ways of fishing while still using a fishing pole.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

Well, I know we had the earlier talk about jerked meat - and I can see why it is popular as a 'stereotypical' redneck food, for matters of taste AND practicality, but what other foods are included in popular redneck cusine, and (and thuis is a pretty hard-to-answer question I know) why?

Dead animals, usually recently made dead by the person doing the eating. Rednecks are not complicated when it comes to food.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anything that has to do with a repurposing of highly processed foods and then calling it 'home made'.

It's boxed cake mix and canned fruit dumped together with butter cubed on top. It's terrible and delicious.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm really not sure I want to eat something called a "Dump Cake"

Given that it is just cake + fruit + butter it should be pretty good taste-wise but I'm very wary of anything with a name like that. I also have no idea what the average quality of boxed cake mix is over in the states; I'd imagine it can't be that bad but then again...

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Neruz posted:

I'm really not sure I want to eat something called a "Dump Cake"

Given that it is just cake + fruit + butter it should be pretty good taste-wise but I'm very wary of anything with a name like that. I also have no idea what the average quality of boxed cake mix is over in the states; I'd imagine it can't be that bad but then again...

I've had "Devil's Food" brand chocolate cake mix for every birthday I can remember, and it is wonderful!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kgummy posted:

Though that does remind me of what could be one of the most redneck-y fishing method: lying down and floating on an inner tube with fishing pole in hand. At least most one of the most redneck ways of fishing while still using a fishing pole.

Have we already talked about Noodling in this thread? Because no discourse over fine southern white trash should go without an introduction to the most redneck form of fishing imaginable.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Have we already talked about Noodling in this thread? Because no discourse over fine southern white trash should go without an introduction to the most redneck form of fishing imaginable.

Not yet, and yes, we do need to be talking about this most amazing of Human Achievements!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 5: DairyAir Farms. Recommended listening: Smell the Bacon by The Red Elvises (recommended by Bobbin Threadbare)

Crap I need to record more gameplay WHOOPS.

Xumtosis and Pins are back and it's exactly like taking two children to a boring-rear end farm.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

All y'all boys is weird.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Who needs the cuss pack with you three on the case? Gee-Whiz!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Make no mistake, we are the 3 rudest dudes in LP

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

That's quite possibly the most convoluted farm in existence. Most of these levels boil down to random placement of random things connected by wooden areas without any rhyme or reason. Even Duke 3D's more complicated maps make more sense than these levels.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I say for homework, everybody track down Grezzo 2 and play it between updates. There's even an English "translation" or patch or something, and since I don't speak Eye-talian I don't know if you have to have the regular game to use it, or if it's standalone or what... but I put the game and the translation in the same folder and it works, so there.

Grezzo 2 is a wonderful beast. I can't tell if it's racist or sexist, or where it stands politically but I can assure you that some part of you will be offended at some point when you play it. The main menu has you selecting options with a .gif of a fat naked Juggalo taking a piss. This is what you're greeted with, followed shortly by every selection you make giving you a different loud bodily function noise. And that's only the tiniest little tip of the iceberg, it gets so much better.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
No seriously. Recognize my Jesus Christ LP Superstar references now or I will be very upset )=<

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pins posted:

No seriously. Recognize my Jesus Christ LP Superstar references now or I will be very upset )=<

Sorry, but as far as rock operas go, I'm an Ayreon man.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Starlight Express or GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Pins posted:

I was actually listening to songs from that right before watching the most recent video.

• Locked thread