Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Redneck Rampage is a game about beer and pork rinds and responsible gun ownership. Aliens are also involved.

Released in 1997 for the PC, developed by Xatrix entertainment (who then became Grey Matter, the studio responsible for Return to Castle Wolfenstein) and published by Interplay (who died and broke my heart), Redneck Rampage is I guess one of those tongue-in-cheek offensive FPS games along the same lines as Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D. In fact, the game was built on a modified version of the Duke3D engine.

It's ugly, it plays like poo poo, and calling it "fun" is generosity that even my Canadian heart cannot bear, but there's something about it that makes me feel that all is right in the world.

A lot of that has to do with the soundtrack. Featuring excellent Psychobilly acts like the Reverend Horton Heat, Beat Farmers, and Mojo Nixon, it adds a sense of speed and balls-out fun to an otherwise unremarkable shooter. However, with no volume options and only about seven tracks that queue up randomly at the start of each of the game's fourteen levels, that can tend to get a bit repetitive. That said I'll be using them sparingly as background music during moments of editing.

As for the LP itself, this is my first time through the game, so please join me as together we discover the majesty and splendour of Arkansas.

Change 'a plans yew yankee shitlickers! This moose-humpin toilet cleaner thinks I'm gonna gently caress up some aliens without some proper mood music? Scoot yr rat over the banners and give mah drat 8-track a good kick 'til it spits out some fuckin badass musical accompaniment.

Act 1: Outskirts

Episode 1: Taylor town. Recommended listening: Dick in Dixie by Hank Williams III (recommended by King Vidiot)

Episode 2: Lumberlands. Recommended listening: Johnny Remember Me by The Meteors (recommended by Juvenalian.Satyr)

Episode 3: Junkyard. Recommended listening: Redneck Rampage by Mojo Nixon (recommended by Cuddlechunks)

Episode 4: Trailer Park. Recommended listening: Skulls by The Crimson Ghosts (recommended by NinetySevenA)

Episode 5: DairyAir Farms. Recommended listening: Smell the Bacon by The Red Elvises (recommended by Bobbin Threadbare)

Episode 6: Sewers. Recommended listening: The Shallow End of the Gene Pool by Austin Lounge Lizards (recommended by Bruceski)

Episode 7: Smelting Plant. Recommended listening: Call It What You Will by Larry and his Flask (recommended by AltaBrown)

Act 2: Downtown

Episode 8: Downtown. Recommended Listening: Vixen by Cement Pond (from the Soundtrack)

Episode 9: Nut House. Recommended Listening: Baby's Liquored Up by Country Dick Montana and the Beat Farmers (from the Soundtrack)

Episode 10: J. Cluck's. Recommended Listening: Daddy by Casualties of Cool (recommended by Zeikier)

Episode 11: The Ruins. Recommended Listening: Thunderstruck by Steve'n'Seagulls (recommended by Cooked Auto)

Episode 12: Grimley's Mortuary. Recommended Listening: Magic Toy Missing by Meat Puppets (recommended by Danger-Pumpkin)

Aw shoot looks like ya get enough durn good ol' boys 'n gals in one place and sure enough shaggy dog stories start flyin like Alabama skeeters. Here's sum'n mah favourites.

The Ah-ronicly named CityBeatnik spat a wad 'a phlegm 10 feet before sharin this lil chestnut

citybeatnik posted:

Larry Lobster and Sam Clam where best friends. They did everything together. The only difference between them is that Larry was the nicest Lobster ever and Sam, well lets just say he was not so good.
Larry and Sam did so much together that they even died together.

Larry went to heaven and Sam went to hell.

Larry was doing well in heaven and one day St. Peter came up to him and said, "Larry, you know you are the nicest clam we ever had up here. Everyone likes you but you seem to be a bit depressed.

Tell me what is bothering you, maybe I can help."

Larry said, "Well, don't get me wrong Pete, I like it up here and everything, but I really miss my good friend Sam Clam. We used to do everything together and I really miss him a lot."

St. Peter looked at Larry with pity and said to him, "I tell you what, I can arrange it so that you can go down to hell tomorrow and visit Sam all day. How would that sound?"

This made Larry very happy and he got up bright and early the next morning and grabbed his wings, his harp, and his halo and got in the elevator to hell. When the doors opened he was met by Sam. The hugged each other and they were off. You see in Hell Sam owned a disco. The spent the day there together and had a great time. At the end of the day Larry and Sam went back to the elevator together said their goodbyes and Larry got back in the elevator and went up to heaven. He stepped off the elevator and was greeted by St. Peter who blocked the doorway to heaven. He looked at Larry and said, "Larry Lobster, didn't you forget something?"

Larry looked around and said, "No, I don't think so I have my halo and my wings."

St. Peter looked at him and said, "Yes, but what about your harp?" Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."

In between government cheese farts, Skoolmunkee favoured us with some 'a her learnin

skoolmunkee posted:

The town of Slapdash is up in the woody hills near the state line, and it's called such because it's so poor and put-together that's what it is. It's not even a town, just a couplea buildings and a fry shack that makes a convenient gettin-together place for the folks that live nearby. Three of these folks were younger fellas that grew up together, named Spank, Rob, and Ernest. There was a lot of crude talkin by that fry shack about huntin, fishin, eliminatin, and wimmin.

Spank in particular was a handsome fella, near six foot and mostly meat, with a beard that grew in even, and friendly enough I suppose. Most every week he'd head down to the road house for some drinkin, and in his words, "find me some gal who wants her sweet rear end Spanked." (I warned you there was some crude talk.) Rob and Ernest weren't so lucky in love- Rob tried, but he was no catch. Ernest was the best man of 'em but he was too shy to try. Being back-hills men they'd learned to be self-sufficient and could put together a solution to just about anything with bits and parts and elbow grease. Ernest ended up spendin most of his time tinkerin on his lonesome.

One day at the Slapdash fry shack, Rob revealed he'd been hidin the sausage real regular with a certain gal. She was a pretty little thing and immediately Spank's new favorite joke was how she was "gettin Robbed" (because his name was Rob, y'see, and also he was no catch). Rob paid him no nevermind. Everyone really was pretty content with their lives, even Ernest on his lonesome. He reckoned he could complain about the same amount of things he could be happy about, so that was al right.

Late on a rainy night drivin home from Slapdash to his cabin, Ernest saw a beat up ol farm truck slewed half off the muddy road, nose-down in a ditch. A lady was standin and shiverin wet behind it, fiddlin at something Ernest couldn't see. Now I said that Ernest was the best man of 'em, so he pulled his own truck over to give a hand. Turned out this gal had gotten into her mess by tryin not to hit a deer, bless her heart, but she couldn't get her winch rigged up right to pull her truck aright. This was easy as pie for Ernest and he had her rig on the road in no time. "I'm cold and I'm wet and I'm mighty grateful," this sweet miss told him. "My name's Penny, what's yours?"

And that is how folks learned that a Penny saved is a Penny Ern'ed.

Clayren didn't say nothin, just sketched this portrait 'a the moose-humper

Clayren posted:

Every thread deserves fan-art, but not every thread deserves GOOD fan-art. With that being said I leave this artist's rendering of the OP here without comment.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:
Not enough YE and/or HAW.

2/5

Edit: You also are trying to take away my right to free speech, And I will not stand for this you god drat commie pinko sonova bitch.

Xumtosis fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 17, 2014

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Looking forward to seeing this trainwreck in all its glory.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Fingers crossed for Alabama History Moments in this LP.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
I'm sorry to any southerner who i have committed a defamation of character.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

As a southerner I can tell you that is impossible

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

How the gently caress did you manage to get LP Superstar, Pins, to guest on this rinky-dink LP? I didn't know you had those sorts of connections, Skippy. I thought you were just a Canadian guy on twitter with a refined yet severe love for Danica Patrick's rear end and g-pigs.

Anyway, I remember this game as something that existed. Only played the demo and only vaguely remember it. However the reason you could pick up the key through the roof, if I'm remembering my Duke 3D trivia, is because some items have infinite height for some reason. There was a Duke 3D speedrun a while back that mentioned something like that.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I said it once, I'll say it again: this is basically the Sang Froid of the south :v:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Poetry in motion. 5'd.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Geop posted:

I said it once, I'll say it again: this is basically the Sang Froid of the south :v:

Hopefully I can Zippity Do Dah through this one and get onto the sequel. But judging by the difficulty of the first level, this drat game is set to Remus right in the corn chute.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Hopefully I can Zippity Do Dah through this one and get onto the sequel. But judging by the difficulty of the first level, this drat game is set to Remus right in the corn chute.
It might get kinda samey. It is an old shooter :(

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Skippy Granola posted:

Hopefully I can Zippity Do Dah through this one and get onto the sequel.

Redneck Rampage 2: A Tail of Two Kitties

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

When the going gets dull, the smart LPer cheats for all weapons and stomps the game in the most hilarious fashion.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

When the going gets dull, the smart LPer cheats for all weapons and stomps the game in the most hilarious fashion.

But then ya'd be all dishonest like!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So after Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, I assume this is the next Build Engine game that's going to get a modern revival.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I wanit t vote f yer thread but I ain unnerstand them lil lines, is the one with th mos parts th betterun?

Edit: nah that was a dumb story

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 17, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Someone better tell Xumtosis to get out of the aquarium while recording. :v: Otherwise, looks like a perfectly good early shooter to me. :thumbsup: A game from a simpler time (about simpler folk).

D_W posted:

However the reason you could pick up the key through the roof, if I'm remembering my Duke 3D trivia, is because some items have infinite height for some reason. There was a Duke 3D speedrun a while back that mentioned something like that.

You would be amazed how many games have problems relating to the z-axis. Especially when it comes to enemy AI and figuring out where the player is.

Edit: \/ Right. My mistake.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 17, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yapping Eevee posted:

You would be amazed how many games have problems relating to the y-axis. Especially when it comes to enemy AI and figuring out where the player is.

Z-axis, and frankly I'm amazed that a Build Engine game even has multiple floors. Before Quake, FPS's usually had something closer to the illusion of height rather than its actual existence. Even a lot of modern RPG's cheat by only having one plane that the characters can act upon. See most Bioware games, for example.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
I think Dark Forces was the first shooter to have proper z-axis. I distinctly remember the stacked areas being a big selling point of that game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I remember buying this with a friend because of the cover that read "buy it or the chicken gets it". My only excuse is that we were both 10 at the time.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Why were you guys just talking over home videos of a southern family?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know you explained why you did it in the video, but it's really hilarious that your pitch is 'But the soundtrack is fantastic!' and then you played with the soundtrack muted.

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:

Yapping Eevee posted:

Someone better tell Xumtosis to get out of the aquarium while recording. :v: Otherwise, looks like a perfectly good early shooter to me. :thumbsup: A game from a simpler time (about simpler folk).

You would be amazed how many games have problems relating to the z-axis. Especially when it comes to enemy AI and figuring out where the player is.

Edit: \/ Right. My mistake.

I'm sorry but as a drunken mick bastard I am forever drowning in a tank of whiskey and tears.

Topada mornin to ya.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yep. That's a video game.

I guess.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Oh my god, the cow line was amazing.

Also this video game makes me vaguely outraged. These are my people and I've had enough of your city folk elitism, some of us are right smart.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Loving this, loving the commentary and everything!

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Unload My Head posted:

I think Dark Forces was the first shooter to have proper z-axis. I distinctly remember the stacked areas being a big selling point of that game.

I think Marathon or marathon: durandal beat it, but they might have been cheating. I only played with the marathon infinity editor.

Anyway, the fact that the RtCW follows this gives it hope, because that game was amazing.I only played the demo to redneck rampage back in the day, but always thought it seemed like a lovely southern shadow warrior.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 17, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocketlex posted:

So after Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, I assume this is the next Build Engine game that's going to get a modern revival.

I'd love to see a modern version of Blood.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Reverend Horton Heat is a pretty sweet band

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dickey Butts posted:

I think Marathon or marathon: durandal beat it, but they might have been cheating. I only played with the marathon infinity editor.

Descent had y'all beat. Stupid hicks and your pathetic "2-D planes" :smug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't even clicked on the video but I'm already nominating this for El POTY.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
"Canadian north south"? Are you also from the maritimes?

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

"Canadian north south"? Are you also from the maritimes?

If by maritimes you mean a shithole in New Jersey than ya. Thats me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

So yeah in all seriousness, as someone who's part redneck (at least 1/16th), I played the heckfire out of this game even though I really didn't like the level layouts and the enemies were annoyingly OP and all had hitscan weapons that never miss. I just put god Elvis Mode on and never died, just like the King hisself.

Later on I bought the complete pack that included Rides Again off of GoG. Rides Again's level layouts are way better than the vanilla game, in my opinion. Rides Again is pretty decent overall, even though it's still just as Hard as Balls as the other Redneck campaigns.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Reverend Horton Heat is a pretty sweet band

So're the Beat Farmers.

Got permission from Skippy to post some Beat Farmers videos. These are maybe not their most iconic songs, or the best representations of rockabilly, but they are three of my favorite.

The first one share some thematic under pinnings with the LP - Gunsale at the Church
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npOg8TvJuE

The second one is a cover of Neil Young's Powderfinger, and is, I feel, the superior version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8XlIc8-zo

Finally we have the late, great Country Dick Montana on lead vocals for their cover (with original lyrics) of the classic Big Rock Candy Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlXjShG4XQ

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ground floor of a masterpiece in the making. Now, can anyone tell me where I can buy some Beat Farmers CDs?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I know you asked me to guest in the future but how can I possibly follow this video?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Great Joe posted:

Ground floor of a masterpiece in the making. Now, can anyone tell me where I can buy some Beat Farmers CDs?

Amazon has you covered. Well, if you live in the U.S., and probably Canada? Don't know about anywhere else.

If anyone else wants to post videos of other pychobilly acts, I'll stick 'em all into a Youtube playlist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

While searching for Reverend Horton Heat on YouTube, I found this video where America's Greatest Cultural Ambassadors weigh in on two of their music videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXFv4B1eWs

This video is pretty much a perfect summation of everything that this game is. We have two lowbrow dumbasses, we have some rockin'-rear end rockabilly music, and everything is straight out of the mid-90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Man, I remember playing that song so much in Guitar Hero 2.

• Locked thread