Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Glazius posted:

I'm a little worried that you haven't actually beaten this game yet, Skippy, but I imagine it'll be fun to see you try.

Oh boy based on my test runs I'm legit scared of the next level. Never mind the ones after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The, uh... bag technique is certainly more gruesome on an up close and personal level, but for sheer volume, I once saw the site of someone who collected and fired old blackpowder cannons and mortars, and would set out food for stay cats and use them as target practice.

Years of posts of cannons and cats, and no sign of their numbers diminishing at all.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fish Noise posted:

The, uh... bag technique is certainly more gruesome on an up close and personal level, but for sheer volume, I once saw the site of someone who collected and fired old blackpowder cannons and mortars, and would set out food for stay cats and use them as target practice.

Years of posts of cannons and cats, and no sign of their numbers diminishing at all.

The bag story may be more of an urban legend because I've heard that story about the uncle of a friend of a friend as well. Either that or it's disturbingly common and I lived in the redneckiest part of Germany.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Either that or it's disturbingly common and I lived in the redneckiest part of Germany.
...Bayern?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

...Bayern?
You know it! I Don't live there anymore, though. I moved to a slightly more reasonable area.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

You know it! I Don't live there anymore, though. I moved to a slightly more reasonable area.

Franken then ;)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

anthrax posted:

Franken then ;)

Well, y'see. That's where I moved away from. It's also technically still part of Bavaria but I know how hard it is to admit that. It's just considerably less southern. Literally and in the american sense. Anyyway, none of the tales I actually know happened compare to the stories you can read in this very thread. Which I'm kinda sad about, because I don't have anything to share. But also happy, because I was not exposed to bad stuff that makes the world a worse place.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
I'm not sure why you would kill farm cats. They keep down rodent problems and you don't even really have to feed them or anything, they're more than happy to just live in your barn half-feral. Only instance of farm cat killing I have ever heard of was accidental, when a cat went to drink some milk out of a big milk container someone left open by accident, fell in and drowned and they found the body in there floating.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm guessing cats go after chickens.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Clayren posted:

I'm not sure why you would kill farm cats. They keep down rodent problems and you don't even really have to feed them or anything, they're more than happy to just live in your barn half-feral. Only instance of farm cat killing I have ever heard of was accidental, when a cat went to drink some milk out of a big milk container someone left open by accident, fell in and drowned and they found the body in there floating.

I can imagine cats could become a problem if there are a lot of cats nearby that haven't been neutered. Though realistically you'd have to be trying for it to become a problem. My first cat was from a farm and the owner just kept the cat population under control by giving most of the kittens away for free to anyone who want's them. I think what also helped was that my grandma neutered the male cats herself to shut them up and to make them stop fighting on her farm.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

I'm guessing cats go after chickens.

They go after chicks. A cat could probably bring down an adult hen if it tried, but hens are careful about sticking together and roosters like to be around whenever there's a hen. Roosters also have huge motherfucking spurs on their legs in addition to their talons, and get aggressive with anything they think they can take on. I've known some roosters that would even attack people just for the hell of it.

Roosters are manly as hell and our cats would stay away, basically.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Clayren posted:

You know that bit in Dwarf Fortress where you can end up with an explosion of feline population in the game that basically causes it to lag all to hell?

Feral cats can pull that off in real life.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Got a short, but sweet, music recommendation, in hopes of motivating the hillbilly essence flowing through you to energize, and power through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGdU_6yYIa4

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Got a short, but sweet, music recommendation, in hopes of motivating the hillbilly essence flowing through you to energize, and power through.

Oh man I feel guilty now, but did you know there's this game called Fantasy Life where you can beat a JRPG as a chef? It's like, way more fun than updating my LP.

(I'm so sorry, I promise - updates next weekend!)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

We doing bluegrass now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0EeFKZHA5s

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Skippy Granola posted:

Oh man I feel guilty now, but did you know there's this game called Fantasy Life where you can beat a JRPG as a chef? It's like, way more fun than updating my LP.

How good is it I get paid in like 5 hours and am really tempted to get it.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Skippy Granola posted:

I did know about it, actually. My friends are all playing it, and I feel pretty left out!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Nofriendo Entertainment System › Let's play Redneck Rampage - Y'know, Fantasy Life is a Much Better Game, Let's Play That Instead.

I'm currently trying to master all the classes.

But enough about Fantasy Life...

...there's no such thing as "enough Fantasy Life".

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Probably should have had a "Redneck" class.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 12: Grimley's Mortuary. Recommended Listening: Magic Toy Missing by Meat Puppets (recommended by Danger-Pumpkin)

You're probably wondering why this episode is so late.

That's why.

Can't promise it won't happen again because I sure do love video games a whole lot.

Anyway this level is one of those annoying ones where you can potentially be stuck here forever due to well-camouflaged skeleton keys, mandatory backtracking, and almost unfairly difficult fights. However, as shown in the video, you can blow through it in about 15 minutes if you keep your head on a swivel.

Joining me today are my two good buddies, OctarineDream and NonEuclideanCat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Man, so I have what I thought were "fond memories" of this game buried in my brain, but as I'm watching this LP it's becoming clear to me that those memories were of like the first three or four levels. We've gone well beyond familiar territory here. I might have level-skipped to the mortuary but whatever's going on in the following level is a complete mystery to me.

Maybe when I think "Redneck Rampage" I'm thinking more about the sequel. I mean it wasn't much better, but it had its moments. Also the expansion pack (which I recently bought through Good Old Games in the complete collection) is overall an improvement on the original game. It's just hard-as-balls though, but I'd take hard-as-balls over tedious sewer levels.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I do like the way this game tries to fill in the levels with something new or different each time, like the ghost enemies and the workable oven in this level. Better than the empty rooms in so many old shooters.

About the same time as you did J. Clucks level I had to do a bunch of work outside a chicken processing plant. Gawdam those places are really unpleasant. Had to measure up a bunch of buildings outside the offal pit, realized after five minutes that I was going to faint because I was holding my breath against the stink.:barf: Never have chicken lined up for dinner the day you visit one of those places.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Jaguars! posted:

I do like the way this game tries to fill in the levels with something new or different each time, like the ghost enemies and the workable oven in this level. Better than the empty rooms in so many old shooters.

About the same time as you did J. Clucks level I had to do a bunch of work outside a chicken processing plant. Gawdam those places are really unpleasant. Had to measure up a bunch of buildings outside the offal pit, realized after five minutes that I was going to faint because I was holding my breath against the stink.:barf: Never have chicken lined up for dinner the day you visit one of those places.

The college I went to here in Texas was across the street from a chicken processing plant.

The air was loving ripe on hot days, and I vaguely recall there being something about them only turning the filters on if they had enough complaints, but I'm not sure how much of that was drunken dorm rambling.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just cannot get over the nauseating effect the camera has whenever you point it at the sky or the ground. Holy hell it feels wrong whenever it happens. I never realised just how much early "3d"/mouselook sucked donkey balls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the game was actually made with mouselook in mind. Duke3d originally definitely wasn't.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not sure the game was actually made with mouselook in mind. Duke3d originally definitely wasn't.

"Rat aimin'" and "Rat aimin' device" (the latter being a reticule) are options.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Okay, a mortuary level with catacombs is not something I expected to see in this game. Will there be a swamp level too? A castle?

All I could think about when I was watching the second half of the video was "Oblivion's elven ruins." I'm serious!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

skoolmunkee posted:

Okay, a mortuary level with catacombs is not something I expected to see in this game. Will there be a swamp level too? A castle?

All I could think about when I was watching the second half of the video was "Oblivion's elven ruins." I'm serious!

Oh my god, I knew there was something naggingly familiar about those catacombs but I couldn't put my finger on it and I was half paying attention. Down to the textures and even the layout those are so Oblivion ruins. They've even got crystal ball-y light things that kind of remind me of those soul crystals or moonstones or whatever that are always placed in those little metallic things (maybe there's a lore name for them but I have no idea).

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Surely there's gotta be an alien spaceship level. Heck they could just pad out the rest of the game with a whole load of vaguely metallic looking levels that the designers could bang together in an afternoon, call them various locations on a mothership or something, ctrl-c ctrl-v a load of old coots and bubbas then call it a day.

Although I think I just described FO3 DLC.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Awww...the memorial to "Country Dick", makes me want to forgive the game for all its many, many faults.

I won't, but it was still really neat.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Awww...the memorial to "Country Dick", makes me want to forgive the game for all its many, many faults.

I won't, but it was still really neat.

Not gonna lie, I choked up a little bit.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hooooooooooooo-lawdy! Glad to see this back in action. I can only imagine what weirdly original yet somehow entirely out of place levels we've got coming up next.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So I'm gonna go ahead and give y'all what I have amounting to a redneck story:

Firstly, it should be stated that I have lived in a city in Iowa my entire life. It's a college town, so you get people from all walks, and I've been kinda sheltered in some ways as a result.

Now, for about two months a while back, I worked in a call center. Normally it was incoming sales, but I also happened to be working during an election year. As a result, there were times when we did outgoing political surveys for the Democrats, most specifically to New York. Here, to the best of my recollection, is an excerpt from the best/worst conversation I had during those 2 months at that call center:

Me: "If the election were held today, would you: Definitely vote for the Republican candidate, lean toward the Republican candidate, lean toward the Democratic candidate, or definitely vote for the Democratic candidate?"

Other guy: "I wouldn't vote for a Democrat for dog catcher! Not only are they (something like "messing up this country," I don't remember), but they're run by a guy who might not even be an American! And even if he is, he's not... one of us. There's nothin' wrong with Obama and his people that wouldn't be fixed by them leavin' the country, and joining the Coalition of Independent Nations, or something."

It should be noted that the emphasis and ellipses up there are not mine; he actually said it that way. He had something like a southern twang that had been tempered with living in New York, I guess. The Tea Party variant on the hillbilly accent. This was the first time I'd ever encountered that kind of wordsmithin' in my actual life, so it kinda dumbfounded me. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, so I let my brain stem take over. I decided later to laugh about it.

Sorry if that's not really redneck enough, but it's the best I've got, and it sure as hell threw me for a hell of a loop.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
That's just a racism thing. I'm from Massachusetts and was in Texas for a while and went to church one Sunday because I wasn't doing anything and free food owns.

The pastor lectured on revelations and I was thinking "huh, kinda describes Hitler really well, but also Nero and really anyone guilty of persecution" when from behind I heard a woman declare, "That sounds like obama!"

There's a lot of overlap between racists and hillbillies, but they aren't mutually inclusive.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Random Number posted:

That's just a racism thing. I'm from Massachusetts and was in Texas for a while and went to church one Sunday because I wasn't doing anything and free food owns.

The pastor lectured on revelations and I was thinking "huh, kinda describes Hitler really well, but also Nero and really anyone guilty of persecution" when from behind I heard a woman declare, "That sounds like obama!"

There's a lot of overlap between racists and hillbillies, but they aren't mutually inclusive.

Yeah, it just had a feel to it with the way the guy's voice sounded. I dunno.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The mention of wallhumping to find secrets suddenly reminded me of Eradicator, where the using-random-objects sound of one character was just "Nope."

Every room culminates in a bizarre TF2 SFM-esque scene of going around "Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
SiN also did that, and so does Adventures of Square.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom did that. It was part of the time.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

anilEhilated posted:

Hell, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom did that. It was part of the time.

Yeah, you even had to shoot 4 hanged Commander Keens.

Edit: Aand this went completely off-topic. I don't know why I thought we were discussing the "kill this guy to continue"-trope.

Steelpudding fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Don't forget the Blake Stone series, wallhumping was pretty mandatory to find secrets there.

• Locked thread