Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Somebody mentioned Hank Williams III in this thread - I remember that the original Hank Williams was pretty kick-rear end, but wasn't the nu-version really not pleasant? Or was that the 2nd H. Williams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Say; could you actually jerk rocky mountain oysters? Or indeed any sweetbread?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Hog brain is another unusual cut of meat I've seen jerked, it was gross.

How on earth is brain jerked? I would imagine that any type of jerked meat would need some kind of titin fibres in it to work... I could only imagine jerked brain to have the texture of really dry scrambled eggs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Never underestimate the determination of hunters the first season they get ahold of a Ronco dehydrator. If you have ever seen that layer of grease that forms when you choose to fatty a cut to jerk? It's was pretty much just a thick layer of that protecting a sliver of undercooked brain.

Ooh, I can feel the invasive prions just burying into my brain thinking of that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If I remember correctly the etymology of 'redneck' actually was used as a derogatory term for labourers who had the audacity to try to unionize and ask for, oh gosh, slightly better working conditions, pay and not to be worked to death; it was adopted due to the workers wearing red bandannas - hence red-neck. If memory serves they were treated horrendously, i.e. flat-out murdered, by Pinkertons and the like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, I know we had the earlier talk about jerked meat - and I can see why it is popular as a 'stereotypical' redneck food, for matters of taste AND practicality, but what other foods are included in popular redneck cusine, and (and thuis is a pretty hard-to-answer question I know) why?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How do you kill a ghost dog?

Why, you shoot him down in the street while his gun's unloaded.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm feeling ill just looking at those ingredients.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

As long as there aren't any stories regarding skunks!

...there... uh, there aren't any stories about skunks, yes?

Please say yes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DirtyPatty posted:

Also came across a snapping turtle once. The buddy I was with wanted to take it home for a pet and keep it in the tub. So I grabbed it and the drat thing started grinding my hand between it's spikey head and it's shell where I had grabbed it. I decided we didn't need another pet that bad and it would be best to just throw the angry guy pack into the pond on the side of the road.

Uh... my knowledge of North American fauna isn't 100%... but just how drunk were you to even consider this being remotely a good idea? Aren;t those things like... capable of snapping yer goddamn hand of in one bite?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh jeez, a whole bunch of stuff was talked about in that episode. I will agree with you that the Internet back in the day sucked balls; there was only one thing back then which was good, and still is Homestar Runner, and God knows when I was younger my Internet days were pretty bad too.

But onto the food and drink - pork scratchings; they're made from pig skin, aren't they? i.e. they are distictly different from jerky. We do have them over here in the U.K., but I've never had 'em.

What IS moonshine made from? I was under the impression it was essentially home-made vodka, but now I'm not so sure. (Oh yeah, I think if you flavour moonshine with cloves, it's no longer red-necky).

Also, re. the 'Rebels' football team... is there any Southern school which actually celebrates the Union, or the defeat of the Confederacy at all? 'Cause the former is a definitive stereotype about the South... and is actually pretty goddamn ugly when it is true. (that is, celebrating the Confederacy is ugly)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So if moonshine is corn liquor, what's done with buorbon? I thought THAT was corn liquor.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm not really sure what they do with the cask once they've aged their liquor in it once, since it's evidently no longer eligible for making bourbon any longer. Seems like kind of a waste of wood.

Well, I do know that the parentals once managed to get their hands on staves used for aging alcohol that were sold for the purposes of wood burning. The smoke smelled wonderful.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Interesting fact about Stone Mountain, Georgia. That's the site of the re-dedication of the KKK for its second incarnation in 1915. What a coincidence that a relief to the military leadership of the Confederacy was comissioned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy at that exact location.

Wait - wait; I can say that better.

What a 'coincidence' that a relief to the military leadership Confederacy was comissioned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy at that exact location.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 14, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Not Smores?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

I have also skinned and cleaned a sheep. That was fun, and surprisingly easy.

Still couldn't bring myself to pick up the axe for the ducks, though, :ohdear: Even though they were too stupid to live. Literally. Stretched out their necks for us and everything. "I'M READY TO BE PROCESSED AND EATEN, BABY" is not something I would ever expect and animal to communicate quite so clearly as those ducks did.

Well, I can understand a reluctance to kill something that is so obviously stating 'kill me'; I would be reluctant to do the deed there, too.

But... how was a sheep 'easy' to clean? Do I really wanna know?

(P.S. Yes, yes I do)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sad thing about keeping goats, though. they're bad for plant ecology, generally speaking.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

How are goats bad for plant ecology? I mean, yes, in sensitive areas, they will ruin your poo poo by nibbling everything, but for areas infested with blackberries, kudzu, air potato, or muscadine, you'll bow down in praise of their browsing.

I was under the impression that goats not only ate the grass stems, but also the roots, effectively destroying the plant proper, which results in soil detriment through no roots anchoring the grains and overall desertification of the area. I have often wondered if the goats would be ideal for combatting kudzu infestation for that reason. Though blackberry bushes are quite thorny; I don't know how good they would be for goat digestion/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK - what the heck are Hush Puppies? That is what Leonard yells whenever he picks up ammo/health, right?

Also, what is it with people adopting the Confederate flag? I mean, I can understand the basic appeal of rebellion against an established power, full-stop. But the C.S.A. was the most evil America has ever been in its existance. What's up with that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK, here's a question re. stereotypical 'Redneckness'... Why mullets?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm guessing cats go after chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dangit! Intoxicated Scottish co-commentator has already been filled. Oh well - it'll be nice to see this finished so we can compare and contrast this with thon Duck Dynasty game. Which I'd argue ios sometimes more insulting than even this game.

• Locked thread