Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocketlex posted:

So after Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior, I assume this is the next Build Engine game that's going to get a modern revival.

I'd love to see a modern version of Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Skippy Granola posted:

I keep forgetting that there was a time before plot and pacing in FPS games. Levels are less chapters in a story than simply arenas full of enemies, and for a game ostensibly about Rednecks defending their turf from marauding alien sumbitches, we're surprisingly light on aliens. Here's hoping for a plot development sooner or later. Or at least a new gun.
I don't know whether there's a joke I'm missing, but this is exactly it: this is a Build game; contemporary of Duke3D and the original Shadow Warrior. You were supposed to take pleasure in the pure act of shootin' dudes.
Now, I'm not qualified to talk about oldschool shooter level design past some ten years of playing .wads for Doom, but the idea is that you play for the game itself, not for story or pacing or conclusions. I will concede that RR is by far the worst of the Build engine shooters but that's a flaw of the individual design choices - weapons, level layouts, enemies - and not the concept itself. Hell, I can still have fun playing through Blood or the original Doom levels.

Now kindly put an apostrophe after every third "y" and a "Yeehaw!" after every full stop in the above to get back to the spirit of the tread.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Exactly, there were other games that did the same things but Half-life was held up as 'the best example' of how to do story in FPS games. For awhile there Half-life was basically the standard against which FPS games were measured.

Which means that HL had good PR more than anything else. For example, Quake 2 had a pretty drat mission-centric structure that followed the invasion of the alien planet - but it apparently fell through since its level design is mostly terrible. Similarly, Blood 2 had strung its levels together with a story that explained even some pretty gimmicky levels - but who played that, eh?

For the record, it's not like the story of Half-life is good or anything. It's immersive due to the first person thing, sure, but it amounts to BAD SCIENCE ALIENS GET THE HELL OUT.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doom makes it work because all the enemies have distinctly different roles; here all the human enemies are pretty much pallette swaps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If the explosions work anything like in Shadow Warrior (and I honestly can't remember, I played RR when I was like 12), distance doesn't protect you from explosions... But cover does, to the point of just popping behind a corner being able to shield you from a nuclear explosion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the game was actually made with mouselook in mind. Duke3d originally definitely wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom did that. It was part of the time.

• Locked thread