Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Loanarn posted:

Found a fish turner for $3 that was on my want list

I legitimately had no idea that 'fish turner' was a thing that existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

rj54x posted:

We're in the same boat. (Bad pun)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

rj54x posted:

It's just a long, flexible spatula.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just realized the thread title says "IIT" rather than "ITT" and now it's going to bother me every time I see it.

Hopefully it'll bother everyone else too. Suffer with me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bob_McBob posted:

Good thing the OP is budgeting $1000 on kitchen tools rather than the bare minimum necessary to prepare food then. At some point convenience and features beyond the most basic utility become deciding factors in purchases. Nobody is telling him to buy a rice cooker instead of a knife and cutting board. You can get a rice cooker for $20 or opt for something fancier if the convenience justifies the price in the budget.

Bringing projects in under budget and spending the remaining money on hookers and blow is definitely a bad idea, and wasting money on things you don't need just because you can is fantastic!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
How dare anyone spend more than the bare minimum or buy a kitchen item used in hundreds of millions of households for extreme convenience!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
When does the cooking start? What things are you planning to make? I'm assuming you made at least part of your list based on what you want to cook.

Also I just realized the thread title is iit instead of itt and its driving me crazy now.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

When does the cooking start? What things are you planning to make? I'm assuming you made at least part of your list based on what you want to cook.

Also I just realized the thread title is iit instead of itt and its driving me crazy now.

Gunes Wtih Spunes › IIT: I relpace my ktichen porducts & mkae awl maels form scartch four a weak

Week 1 which is purchase equipment and clean is over in less than 30 minutes. Week 2 which is cooking trials start tomorrow when the bulk of my equipment arrives. I will test recipes for individual components of dishes that I don't typically make at home like bread and pasta.

What I plan to make in Week 3 will be based somewhat on the feedback of people in this thread. I am hoping to cook one goon suggested dish each day for the seven days. This will help to keep me out of my comfort zone. I need suggestions from goons on dishes to make now so I can start preparing.

Some dishes I am thinking of making are: Eggs Benedict, a Gyro with a Greek salad, Penne and Vodka Sauce, Chili, Gumbo, Pizza, Weiner Schitzel, Fish Tacos, Fried Chicken and Coleslaw, Butter Poached Halibut with Risotto, Patty Melt and Potato salad and some steak dish. Those are what first came to mind.

Today I went shopping again. I tried to go to Penzy's spice shop but I didn't realize they close at 6pm so I missed them so I am heading back tomorrow right after I get off work. I did go to Goodwill and I found a pasta machine missing it's hand crank for $5. I figured I can try to get a replacement or make one myself and some some dough (heh).

Pictured is also the containers and fish turner that I purchased the other day at Ross. I went back today and found some Pyrex baking dishes. The two pack was $8 and the pie dish was $3. I swung back at the dollar store to see if they had any jars I could use for keeping spices in and I found they had a bunch. I bought one and some superglue which is just obscured in the picture to glue a magnet to the top and see if they would work for storing on the side of my fridge. I unfortunatly didn't find any magnets. I also picked up a pie server and the dollar tree. I went to a second goodwill and found the half sheet pan and the mixing bowl for $4 each. I have glass mixing bowls on the way but I find that having one light mixing bowl around is nice.

Not pictured I went to Fred Meyers and restocked the pantry. I got distilled, red and white wine vinegar, AP flour, bread flour, table salt for baking, kosher salt, canola and olive oil, baking sugar and brown sugar, shortening, chicken and beef broth, chicken and beef better than bullion, San Marzano tomatoes, red and white onions, celery, carrots, bacon and eggs.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 7, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Try salt encrusted baked bass, easy peasy lemon squeezy hella delicious too. All you'd need equipment wise is an oven, baking sheet, and foil.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

This is a cool thread idea! I work from home too and cook the vast majority of my meals from scratch, but do eat out once a week or so and although I make my own bread/ pasta sometimes I also buy it. My weakness is condiments. I buy a ton of pickles, hot sauces, mustards, etc. I do make my own pickles too but I always 'zing up' my meals with some kind of condiment so if I had to make all those from scratch too it would be a decent amount of extra work. I like the idea of 100% from scratch though, it's a good challenge. I might try it too!

I think you should make granola for breakfast. It's surprisingly better made at home than store bought and way cheaper.

I also suggest making a middle eastern platter with hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, tabbouleh, olives, and home made pita.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Loanarn posted:

I need suggestions from goons on dishes to make now so I can start preparing.

I recommend Mr Wiggles's Weekday Brazilian Stew. It's in regular rotation for me and makes for some very good reheated work lunches. Add some linguica or something if you want, I do and it's delicious.

quote:

Weiner Schitzel,
:shobon:

A guide to spelling/pronouncing German words: when it comes to EI or IE, it's like you're saying the second vowel in English. So, Wiener (which means person/thing from Wien, or Vienna) Schnitzel. It's a good choice to cook, delicious and not too labor-intensive. I like to serve schnitzel with mashed potatoes with a little ground caraway added and/or some sauerkraut on top.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Loanarn posted:

Some dishes I am thinking of making are: Eggs Benedict, a Gyro with a Greek salad, Penne and Vodka Sauce, Chili, Gumbo, Pizza, Weiner Schitzel, Fish Tacos, Fried Chicken and Coleslaw, Butter Poached Halibut with Risotto, Patty Melt and Potato salad and some steak dish. Those are what first came to mind.
Seems like a lot of work. The most important part when you start cooking at home a lot is actually cooking at home a lot.

I'd recommend hitting these:
Steak
Chicken under a brick
Pan-roasted fish
Slow-roasted pork shoulder
Slow-roasted leg of lamb

And these sides:
Roast sweet potato fries (melt clarified butter in pan, coat cut sweet potatoes, dump onto baking sheet, cook at 400 for fifteen minutes, turn, cook at 350 until done)
Roast asparagus
Roast cauliflower/broccoli
Roast brussel sprouts
Glazed carrots (cut carrots into large chunks or faux-tourne, melt butter in pan, add salt, a little water and white wine, add carrots, cover, steam until carrots are nearly done, remove lid, let water boil off and brown the carrots in the remaining butter until brown)
Sauteed spinach
Braised kale

More carb-y stuff:
Black beans with onions (drain+rinse canned beans/soak and boil dry beans [great use for a pressure cooker imo], sweat onions in olive oil [add bacon if desired], add beans + water + salt, cover until beans get mushy, reduce liquid until good consistency)
Fried rice
Farro

These are all real easy and high-impact and require little active cooking time, though some of them require a lot of oven time. You'll definitely learn a lot doing the neat-o time-consuming dishes, but if you're cooking every drat day it'll start to take its toll.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 24, 2014

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Buy a whole chicken. Roast it, eat the drumsticks and a thigh, and pick the rest of the meat off. Make stock with the carcass. Do anything you want with the meat. I like to make a "white chili" with beans and jalapenos. There are literally thousands of other options. Some of them involve using the awesome chicken stock you made...

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

bartolimu posted:

:shobon:

A guide to spelling/pronouncing German words: when it comes to EI or IE, it's like you're saying the second vowel in English. So, Wiener (which means person/thing from Wien, or Vienna) Schnitzel. It's a good choice to cook, delicious and not too labor-intensive. I like to serve schnitzel with mashed potatoes with a little ground caraway added and/or some sauerkraut on top.

As you can tell by the thread title, double checking my spelling isn't exactly my forte. Perhaps you could help me with that mistake as well?

No Wave posted:

Seems like a lot of work. The most important part when you start cooking at home a lot is actually cooking at home a lot.

I figured I would end up doing one more complex dish a day and a few simple ones. I was giving some of the more complex ones on my list because saying I'm going to make a turkey sandwich sounds boring. Some of the other Ideas are grilled cheese and tomato soup, turkey sandwich and potato chips, omelets, waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy.

I also plan to try to reuse as much as possible in new dishes from the ones I previously cooked. For example I would put leftover chili in an omelet or use leftover gravy from a roast for biscuits and gravy in the morning.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I like the idea of 100% from scratch though, it's a good challenge. I might try it too!

It's going to be more like 99%. For example every ketchup I've tasted is not nearly as good as Heinz no matter how fancy. I wont be attempting to outdo Heinz but I will spice it up. And while I will be making my own stock when I can I have no qualms with using some store bought broth and a little better than bullion to stretch out my drippings when making gravy.

I also said I wont be growing my own vegetables, hunting for my own meat or making my own cheeses or beverages. I'm not going to grind my own sausages or hamburger meat either.

Unfortunately it looks like the deliveries are coming too late and I don't have enough time to start cooking today. So today I will get the last of my equipment and then I'll head out to Penzy's and get my spices. My pantry is pretty stocked but may be missing a few things so I'll get some meats, cheeses and vegetables that I can use multiple ways.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 24, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Learning to stretch one big meal will teach you plenty of skills without running you ragged on costs and prep. A roast bird is dinner, chicken salad sandwiches (bake yo bread sonn), soup/stock, meatballs...

Basically what WI said, but again, because you are not listening.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Vegetable Melange posted:

Learning to stretch one big meal will teach you plenty of skills without running you ragged on costs and prep. A roast bird is dinner, chicken salad sandwiches (bake yo bread sonn), soup/stock, meatballs...

Basically what WI said, but again, because you are not listening.

Perhaps you were the one not listening. I just said I was already going to do this in my previous post. I plan to reuse previous dishes in as many dishes as I can. Just because I didn't directly acknowledge anyone's particular post in my reply is not an indication I wont take their advice.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Loanarn posted:

Today I went shopping again. I tried to go to Penzy's spice shop but I didn't realize they close at 6pm so I missed them so I am heading back tomorrow right after I get off work. I did go to Goodwill and I found a pasta machine missing it's hand crank for $5. I figured I can try to get a replacement or make one myself and some some dough (heh).
Pasta rollers rule. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER try to wash it though. If it's anything like the Atlas I got, the rollers themselves are tin-plate and no matter how well you try to dry it, they will rust immediately. To clean it between uses, send a lump of dough through as a sacrifice and then flour it up again.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Loanarn posted:

Perhaps you were the one not listening. I just said I was already going to do this in my previous post. I plan to reuse previous dishes in as many dishes as I can. Just because I didn't directly acknowledge anyone's particular post in my reply is not an indication I wont take their advice.

Then we are both bad at the internets. Hail Satan!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

feelz good man posted:

Pasta rollers rule. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER try to wash it though. If it's anything like the Atlas I got, the rollers themselves are tin-plate and no matter how well you try to dry it, they will rust immediately. To clean it between uses, send a lump of dough through as a sacrifice and then flour it up again.

Very good to know. I actually have never made pasta from scratch before using a pasta machine. I was disappointed to find out that the replacement handles and and clamps weren't cheaper. They seem to both be around $15 each. It's a Himark pasta machine which is a company that was bought out by Atlas. It seems to use their same size and shape clamps and handles so I may order those if I can find them for a little less.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Then we are both bad at the internets. Hail Satan!

On this we can both agree. Hail Satan!

So today one of my shipments was sent to the wrong place by our lovely united states postal service so I am stuck waiting for who knows how long for that package to arrive instead of the two day shipping it was supposed to be. I am now down my hand mixer, and immersion blender until they arrive. The rest of the stuff like the utensil holder and potholders and pyrex mixing bowls I can live without for a little while.

I did get the rest of the expensive and useful equipment right as I had to leave to hang out with friends so I can start cooking some dishes tomorrow. On the plus side my ThermoWorks ThermoPop showed up a week early.

Not pictured I finally went to Penzy's spice shop for the first time. That place is amazing. I left with 22 spices totaling $122. I realized I forgot to get more items for the pantry on the last trip so I bought some baking soda, baking powder, lemons, milk, cream, potatoes, asparagus, top sirloin, and some extra butter considering the amount of baking I will be doing. I had to get some chocolate chips because I realized I now have all the ingredients for some chewy chocolate chip cookies that I can making for my gaming group later.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 7, 2014

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Loanarn posted:

As you can tell by the thread title, double checking my spelling isn't exactly my forte. Perhaps you could help me with that mistake as well?

I don't know, I just use a browser that underlines poo poo in red when it might be misspelled and take five seconds to make sure nothing is egregiously hosed before hitting Post. Seems like a lot of trouble to ask other people to do that, though. Also I don't see what's wrong with the thread title? :confused:

What spices did you pick up at Penzey's? We can probably recommend particular dishes that might not be obvious if we know what you're working with.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

bartolimu posted:

I don't know, I just use a browser that underlines poo poo in red when it might be misspelled and take five seconds to make sure nothing is egregiously hosed before hitting Post. Seems like a lot of trouble to ask other people to do that, though. Also I don't see what's wrong with the thread title? :confused:

What spices did you pick up at Penzey's? We can probably recommend particular dishes that might not be obvious if we know what you're working with.

The thread title should have been ITT: not IIT: like I created it which has been changed already by you or someone else.

Allspice, Basil, Bay Leaves, Cayenne, Chipotle, Ground Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin, Spicy Curry Powder, Dill Weed, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Ginger–Ground, Nutmeg–Ground, Oregano, Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme, Vanilla–Extract Single Strength.

Edit:

First home made meal with the new gear. Lunch today about 45 minutes ago. Figured I'd start with the basics. Sauteed asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes and top sirloin. I cooked both the veg and steak on my new cast iron skillet.

I'm a little rusty so my timing was off. I started the asparagus too soon. I had the potatoes on the stove for a few minutes and then started the asparagus. When they were finished I ended up rushing the potatoes because I didn't was the asparagus to get cold. As a result the potatoes were about 1 minute underdone and so every third bite or so had a small but of uncooked potato. The seasoning was definitely correct on both and the asparagus was just right as far as doneness. By the time the steak was done the asparagus had cooled down a little too much for my tastes. The key takeaway was to work on my timing for sure.

As far as the steak goes it was a perfect medium rare. Seasoned with just salt and pepper and finished with a small pad of butter it really turned out great. One of the best steaks I have made. As far as photography goes I still have a ways to go. I shouldn't have used flash when taking the picture and readjusted the brightness afterwards as the photo doesn't do the ruby redness of the steak justice. I also should have cut the steak on the cutting board before plating to prevent the juices from showing up in the photo.

Also I wasn't expecting the starch and veg to be out of focus for the second picture. I took multiple pictures before and after cutting and these were the best I got.

As far as composing the picture I felt a bit rushed as I didn't want the veg to get any colder. Next time I should have come up with the plating and composure before I begin cooking instead of after.

Double Edit:

Got the last big batch of equipment in and put them on display with the spices. Only thing left to arrive is the induction burner which should be here tomorrow and the and the baking steel which should arrive sometime from the 29th-31st. Of all the things I wanted soonest the steel was one of them. Cant wait to bake breads and pizza on that thing.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 7, 2014

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Penzeys is kind of expensive but in my experience their stuff is top notch and totally worth it. Having good spices makes it so much easier to make tasty things. Looking forward to seeing what you end up making.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Penzeys is kind of expensive but in my experience their stuff is top notch and totally worth it. Having good spices makes it so much easier to make tasty things. Looking forward to seeing what you end up making.

I've only worked with grocery store spices at home and the giant jars of mccormick spices that all the professional kitchen's I've worked in had which to me seems to be the same stuff just in huge jars. Just smelling them in the store you could tell the difference was night and day. If you have any ideas on what you want to see me cook please let me know.

I got my baking steel much earlier than the estimated delivery dates which is great. I also got my induction burner. I'm looking forward to trying both out. Tomorrow I will either make bread or pizza or both.

Well today I figured id dust off the baking skills and make some chocolate chip cookies. I used Alton Brown's chewy recipe and while it was good I prefer the cooks illustrated recipe. Although when mixing the dough it looked like I had used enough chocolate chips but I should have used 3/4ths of the bag instead of half. I made two batches of 6. One came out just right and the others were a tad smaller and ended up being a little bit over cooked.

My Mom ended up going to a larger Costco and finding some more equipment that was cheaper than I could find online. I ended up getting 24 magnetic spice jars so I have my spices hand and stuck to the fridge, a large stainless steel mixing bowl, two half sheet pans and cooking shears.

My parents are going out of town and taking their camera with them so for the next few days I'm stuck with my iPhone to take pictures. Lucky for me they will be back the night before I start the week where I cook everything from scratch and document it all.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 7, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Buy a whole chicken. Roast it, eat the drumsticks and a thigh, and pick the rest of the meat off. Make stock with the carcass. Do anything you want with the meat. I like to make a "white chili" with beans and jalapenos. There are literally thousands of other options. Some of them involve using the awesome chicken stock you made...

a thousand times this.

if you aren't doing this at least once or twice a week, you're doing yourself a disservice. the triple use, with the stock and the leftover breast meat is perfect. I usually save about 5-6 carcasses before I bother making stock.

unless you hate chicken, turn it into a mission. make your perfect chicken. try different oven temperatures, times between flipping (or not flipping at all), rack vs no rack, water in the pan vs no water in the pan, brining versus dry rub vs no marinating at all, coarseness of salt, stuffing the cavity with aromatics (vs not), blasting with heat at the beginning vs not, stuffing the skin with herbs/butter vs not - there's so much. Argh, I think I could go on for another paragraph or two with 'controversial' topics in chicken cookery. In fact I guess I will, just because I can.... Using baking soda in your salt mixture on the skin, the 'beer can' approach, getting skin crispy using an oven vs grill, smoking vs grilling, starting chicken cold or at room tempature, PH of your brining solution, salinity of brine, length of brine, dusting skin with starch before roasting/grilling, spatchcocking vs whole roasting, air drying before cooking/developing a pellicle (and its relative importance in roasting vs grilling vs smoking), steaming THEN grilling/roasting (ala chinese) - and I haven't even mentioned any frying techniques which all have different answers to the same questions...

god, I suddenly feel like I should write a book on chicken cookery. it's definitely one of the things I've spent a ton of time researching and testing... the results are worth it too. I think thomas keller's method isn't really that amazing, but I entirely agree with his sentiment. a perfect roast (grilled, fried, smoked) chicken is the most amazing thing.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 27, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mindphlux posted:

a thousand times this.

if you aren't doing this at least once or twice a week, you're doing yourself a disservice. the triple use, with the stock and the leftover breast meat is perfect. I usually save about 5-6 carcasses before I bother making stock.

unless you hate chicken, turn it into a mission. make your perfect chicken. try different oven temperatures, times between flipping (or not flipping at all), rack vs no rack, water in the pan vs no water in the pan, brining versus dry rub vs no marinating at all, coarseness of salt, stuffing the cavity with aromatics (vs not), blasting with heat at the beginning vs not, stuffing the skin with herbs/butter vs not - there's so much. Argh, I think I could go on for another paragraph or two with 'controversial' topics in chicken cookery. In fact I guess I will, just because I can.... Using baking soda in your salt mixture on the skin, the 'beer can' approach, getting skin crispy using an oven vs grill, smoking vs grilling, starting chicken cold or at room tempature, PH of your brining solution, salinity of brine, length of brine, dusting skin with starch before roasting/grilling, spatchcocking vs whole roasting, air drying before cooking/developing a pellicle (and its relative importance in roasting vs grilling vs smoking), steaming THEN grilling/roasting (ala chinese) - and I haven't even mentioned any frying techniques which all have different answers to the same questions...

god, I suddenly feel like I should write a book on chicken cookery. it's definitely one of the things I've spent a ton of time researching and testing... the results are worth it too. I think thomas keller's method isn't really that amazing, but I entirely agree with his sentiment. a perfect roast (grilled, fried, smoked) chicken is the most amazing thing.

You can't drop all this knowledge on us and not tell us your preferred method and reason why.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nice haul. The one thing I would do in the future is to just buy the little jars. Yes, it's considerably more expensive per unit, but it won't go bad on you. Buy the commonly-used spices (cumin, oregano, bay leaves) in the bulk bags, but grab the lesser-used spices (dill, chipotle) in smaller quantities so they're still fresh when you use them. I just listed some example spices/herbs from my usage; figure out what works for you.

Also, it's hard to tell in your photo, but it's worth buying most spices whole and grinding them yourself in a coffee grinder. Just-ground cumin is a whole other world from factory-ground, and it makes your kitchen smell great before you even start cooking. Don't try to grind cinnamon.

mindphlux posted:

I agree with nwin. Also, how do you save the carcasses? Chuck 'em in a bag in the freezer?a

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Don't try to grind cinnamon.

I grind cinnamon all the time in a blade mill. You can sift the fibrous woody material that doesn't get ground if you want.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, freeze your cars saws and make stock when you have time.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

ColdPie posted:

Nice haul. The one thing I would do in the future is to just buy the little jars. Yes, it's considerably more expensive per unit, but it won't go bad on you. Buy the commonly-used spices (cumin, oregano, bay leaves) in the bulk bags, but grab the lesser-used spices (dill, chipotle) in smaller quantities so they're still fresh when you use them. I just listed some example spices/herbs from my usage; figure out what works for you.

Also, it's hard to tell in your photo, but it's worth buying most spices whole and grinding them yourself in a coffee grinder. Just-ground cumin is a whole other world from factory-ground, and it makes your kitchen smell great before you even start cooking. Don't try to grind cinnamon.

I agree with nwin. Also, how do you save the carcasses? Chuck 'em in a bag in the freezer?a

I said pretty much the same thing to the lady at Penzeys and she agreed that spices that are whole will last longer but the only spice she made the argument for buying in a small jar was clove as far as how rare it was used. I don't personally have a hard time using dill and chipotle as i use dill in every ranch dressing and tuna fish that I make amongst other fish and chipotle I use to spice up anything really. I really have about 2 years to use these ground spices and 3-4 on the whole ones. Allspice, Cloves and Nutmeg are the ones I don't use very often of the spices I purchased but often enough to have in the house. Honestly the fact that the prices were about half for the bulk spices really made it a no-brainer as even if they go bad in 1-2 years and I buy another packet of bulk spices I'm still way ahead of the jars.

Now it's time to get the pizza prepped for a late night dinner.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Loanarn posted:

I have used both stone sharpeners and the ones on my wish list. I find the stone sharpeners much harder to use and they are much more expensive. I'm sure I have a steel but that only hones a blade. Anyone have any links to articles on reasons why I really need the more expensive and harder to use sharpening option?
I'm not a complete expert, but I noticed nobody replied to this and you bought a little ceramic thingy.
When you see knives at thrift stores where the blade is half an inch thinner than it should be, it's generally due to that type of quick sharpener. Sharpening both sides at once means that all the steel that is moved will get completely removed. When you sharpen one side at a time, you're definitely removing some steel, but you're also kinda pushing some towards the other side and rebuilding the edge. Since you've complained about the annoyingness of traditional stones, you would probably want something like an angled-rod ceramic sharpener. They give you a couple ceramic sharpening rods, and you just need to keep your knife vertical, doing something like 10 passes on each side, and you'll get great results without shortening your knife's lifespan nearly as much. I use one of these, but it looks like this would mostly serve the same purpose for a lot less.

Loanarn posted:

I need suggestions from goons on dishes to make now so I can start preparing.
A $2 meal. A $1 meal if you feel up to that. Something with Sardines, something with Tofu, something with vegetables from a neighbor/friend's garden (if available). Mayonnaise (and maybe other condiments) from scratch.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 28, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Lhet posted:

A $2 meal. A $1 meal if you feel up to that. Something with Sardines, something with Tofu, something with vegetables from a neighbor/friend's garden (if available). Mayonnaise (and maybe other condiments) from scratch.

Hmm.... well when I think of cheap meals I always think vegetarian. Something like a tofu curry might fit the bill. Typically I don't make vegetarian dishes but the goal of the suggestions is to make something I wouldn't normally so this one I like in particular.

I eat roast chicken about every other week at my parents house but I am looking into a local source for something like a 5lb turkey. I don't hate roast chicken and I don't love it either. Now roast turkey on the other hand is one of my favorite meals of all time.

Only reason I'm posting this instead of making pizza is I forgot to preheat the oven with the baking steel :doh:. I finished the sauce and I hope the dough turned out ok but its hard to tell. I tried to knead it in my food processor but it overheated and turned itself off for safety so I stared doing it manually. I forgot that you need to let the dough rest before testing to see if it will window pane but even after I left it rest it wasn't exactly where I wanted it. I probably kept adjusting the moisture of the dough with flour and water too much but I wont really know till I have a finished product.

My kitchen is a huge mess now. Time to go clean it while the oven heats up.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ColdPie posted:

I agree with nwin too, but that would take ages. I should make a chicken thread maybe.

yeah, just chuck them in a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer, add parts until it bursts. don't worry about freezer burn, your stock won't care. break apart your carcass into sections to get more in the bag. I fit about 5 whole carcasses in one gallon bag, then start another. I'll just throw odd bits in too as I go - like if I buy several pounds of whole wings, I'll trim the wing tips and throw the ends in there. or if I have one with giblets, I'll throw the neck in there (not the liver/organs of course - I just freeze those in a different bag.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
So I ended up making pizza dough using this recipe http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/the-easiest-pizza-youll-ever-make-recipe and here are the results.

I ended up hating pretty much every ingredient on it. The mozzarella was too wet and thick and as a result didn't end up melting flat enough and leaked water onto the top of the pizza which I had to drain and wipe off. The olives were probably the worst I've ever had. Just tasteless. Likewise the pepperoni had no flavor. That's what I get from getting poor ingredients from the neighborhood grocery store's prepackaged deli section.

I was pleased with the performance of the baking steel and the cook I got on the crust. Unfortunately all the shots I took with my iPhone were blurry and this was the best of them.

I made the sauce from scratch using mirepoix which I caramelized then turned off the burner and added San Marzano tomatoes and blended it smooth with an immersion mixer and added basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and a little brown sugar. The sauce tasted good on its own but wasn't as tangy as I like for a pizza sauce.

The crust itself was bland and the very top layer was undercooked as it got soggy from too much sauce and the water from the mozzarella. The structure was fine but even when I was tossing the pizza I couldn't get it to window pane and I couldn't get the pizza as thin as I like it without tearing so I had to resort to rolling it out as thing as I could which wasn't very thin.

I wanted pizza today so I ended up comprising way too much and got a poor result. Next time I will try this recipe for the dough as Jeff Varasano's method seems intimidating. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 7, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Did you use fresh mozzarella? It's got so much water content that it's pretty much inevitable that it's going to make your pizza somewhat soupy. I'd recommend freshly grated dry mozzarella. It'd cut the sog factor something fierce.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Test kitchen has a good food-processor recipe you can try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/cooks-illustrated-thin-crust-new-york-ny-pizza-recipe.html I always find it's much, much easier to get dough to window-pane after a day in the fridge. Not as convenient to plan ahead, but way easier to work with.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

The Midniter posted:

Did you use fresh mozzarella? It's got so much water content that it's pretty much inevitable that it's going to make your pizza somewhat soupy. I'd recommend freshly grated dry mozzarella. It'd cut the sog factor something fierce.

Yes I did. I will get dry mozzarella next time. I've also been thinking about trying provel.

swampface posted:

Test kitchen has a good food-processor recipe you can try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/cooks-illustrated-thin-crust-new-york-ny-pizza-recipe.html I always find it's much, much easier to get dough to window-pane after a day in the fridge. Not as convenient to plan ahead, but way easier to work with.

I will try this one next time for sure. I knew I was compromising by trying to make a pizza dough and use it the same day. Next time I will hunt down better ingredients.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mindphlux posted:

I agree with nwin too, but that would take ages. I should make a chicken thread maybe.

yeah, just chuck them in a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer, add parts until it bursts. don't worry about freezer burn, your stock won't care. break apart your carcass into sections to get more in the bag. I fit about 5 whole carcasses in one gallon bag, then start another. I'll just throw odd bits in too as I go - like if I buy several pounds of whole wings, I'll trim the wing tips and throw the ends in there. or if I have one with giblets, I'll throw the neck in there (not the liver/organs of course - I just freeze those in a different bag.

On this note, you should also have a freezer bag of veggie bits (onion ends, carrot tops, celery hearts, tater peels, etc) for pretty much the exact reason.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Don't put provel on your pizza unless you want it to taste like rear end.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Don't put provel on your pizza unless you want it to taste like rear end.

Try gouda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
I had purchased two steaks so it was time I cooked the second one. This time I made steak and eggs with hash browns. Same method for the steak as last time and just salt & pepper on the eggs. Has browns I just peeled and quartered a potato and put it through the food processor and cooked it with salt, pepper and paprika.

Next time I would have attempted to dry the potatoes after grating them as they had too much moisture to brown properly. They absorbed a bit of the oil and became greasy. That is to say they still tasted great but it wasn't what I was going for.

The steak came out just a little over what I like it but was still juicy, tender and had a great sear. The egg was sunny side up until I manged it trying to get it out of the cast iron pan. This was my first time trying to fry an egg over easy on cast iron and I can say it is more difficult than non-stick as I didn't feel comfortable trying to lift the hot cast iron pan to get the egg out so I tried to use my hi temp spatula to get it out.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread