Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i will sleep easier when the corpses of anime havers are strung up as warnings
yes
Yes.
View Results

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
*Dedicates and entire episode to getting all female chars as naked as possible*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Buschmaki posted:

I like GITS and if it's on I'll watch it, but it's sorta really bland and unremarkable.
Stop watching dubs of it you gigantic loving retard. Back in the day japanese shows were brought over and dubbed by actual, for real, professional companies. Since the late 90s that has not been the case, it's nothing but super-mega-cheap companies doing both the translations and the dubs (with no director at all directing the voice acting) so that it's pretty much always a disaster. To say it changes the tone of the show is an understatement. They just gently caress everything up and don't give a poo poo because they already know no one else will give a poo poo.

Like, ep. 24 of the first season is goddamn magnificent (you can actually show the LMF fansub version to someone who has never seen any of GITS SAC and they'll both get it and won't have anything ruined by spoilers). I shudder to think how awful they translated that one.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dontcareaboutname posted:

why is there no castlevania anime? just curious it seems like it'd be perfect.
i think there was one based on the fifth game

its probably poo poo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Prettz posted:

Stop watching dubs of it you gigantic loving retard. Back in the day japanese shows were brought over and dubbed by actual, for real, professional companies. Since the late 90s that has not been the case, it's nothing but super-mega-cheap companies doing both the translations and the dubs (with no director at all directing the voice acting) so that it's pretty much always a disaster. To say it changes the tone of the show is an understatement. They just gently caress everything up and don't give a poo poo because they already know no one else will give a poo poo.

Like, ep. 24 of the first season is goddamn magnificent (you can actually show the LMF fansub version to someone who has never seen any of GITS SAC and they'll both get it and won't have anything ruined by spoilers). I shudder to think how awful they translated that one.

I didn't really find the setting compelling and there weren't any really standout cool action scenes, I'm sorry, I doubt a bad dub would've changed that. The difference in subbed or dubbed anime doesn't really make a difference to me because even if they change the story, I'm still watching it primarily for the animation and kickin' radical action scenes. GITS basically took a bunch of cool concepts, cyborgs and spider tank dudes, and made them into a boring detective story. Like, I know that's how a lot of classic sci-fi is, but I really just wanted something futuristic and action-packed. I still respect it as a 'me, though, as I do all anime.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

All of GITS is 50% cyberpunk and 50% police drama (with politics thrown into the mix). If you don't like that, you definitely won't ever like GITS.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Prettz posted:

It's because her CYBORG SKIN is where the thermoptic camo is installed. She can't become invisible while wearing anything. Obviously it started as one of those "fan service" things, but it also makes plenty of sense technically, and plays into the whole theme where she doesn't care about her body or about people seeing it -- because it's not really her body,

It's just straight up fan service. The thermoptic camo doesn't have to be on the skin. She puts a thermoptic veil over her face... why not just have that integrated into her clothes? I'm sure this is where the director was kicked aside and the suits went "yo, we need this bitch to get naked, its gonna help us sell more copies to all the lonely nerds that will buy this product". The "she doesn't care about her body" theme could've been expressed in much better ways.

Prettz posted:

Now that's just stupid. I'm probably the very biggest GITS fanboy on the forums and I recognize that it's an awful movie. Massive potential, massive premise, and they just peed it all down their leg with bad directing and a joke of a budget.

Pretty much as with all things GITS, it has action scenes that are phenomenal, totally unmatched, but so short that they're over practically as soon as they began. Same thing with the TV show. GITS has some of the best action scenes ever... and then all of a sudden as soon as they're really kicking into high gear, they end. Budget, usually.

I mean, I guess, really though its all subjective. The actions scenes are short, so what? The more action a movie has doesn't make it better. Are you a Michael Bay fan by chance? I personally can't find many faults from the movie for what I expect from a movie. I've watched it many times and I haven't really progressed into "wow this movie isnt as good as I thought it was", I guess we all have different tastes. I love the pacing, sounnd, character designs, character development, plot, art, atmosphere, everything about the movie. Except the fan service.

Prettz posted:

Eh, you did watch the Japanese language version of it right? This is the 2000s: always assume that the dub they bring over is not just done by total amateurs, but is also incorrect. She seemed plenty tomboy to me, just as much as in the movie, which is why I love 'er.

You know, maybe I did watch the dub. Or maybe I saw a bad sub. I can't remember. Maybe I'll give the show another shot someday.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

*Dedicates and entire episode to getting all female chars as naked as possible*

you say that like its a bad thing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cromartie High School Rules

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

you say that like its a bad thing
they're all 13 years old you weirdo

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

how is that battleship yamato show? i know its old as hell but from what i heard it sounds noice.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

quakster posted:

they're all 13 years old you weirdo

motoko in gits is 31 years old according to the internet

anime sexualizing children and anime sexualizing adults is distinct. even in kill la kill the characters are pretty much adults. it (killer kill) is gross because it's comically misogynistic, not because it's pedophilic. something like gits or lupin 3 (which also has a big cartoon titty character that's like 35) is pretty tame all things considered

the pedo anime doesn't really get discussed around here, even in adtrw zorak shuts it down after enough people complain. although some pretty sketchy poo poo can fly there if zorak isn't pressured enough. lol zorak's terrible

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 17, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

anime sexualizing children and anime sexualizing adults is distinct. even in kill la kill the characters are pretty much adults. it (killer kill) is gross because it's comically misogynistic, not because it's pedophilic. something like gits or lupin 3 (which also has a big cartoon titty character that's like 35) is pretty tame all things considered. the pedo anime doesn't really get discussed around here, even in adtrw zorak shuts it down after enough people complain. although some pretty sketchy poo poo can fly there if zorak isn't pressured enough. lol zorak's terrible

yeah that mod is terrible i better defend some child molestation real quick lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

yeah that mod is terrible i better defend some child molestation real quick lol

well yes that too. lest we forget anime is bad.

but the show's not pedophilic per se. credit where credit is due etc

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Necros posted:

how is that battleship yamato show? i know its old as hell but from what i heard it sounds noice.

They very recently made a remake of it that was pretty loving fantastic. New animation, trims down the fat from the original, it's basically ballin http://myanimelist.net/anime/12029/

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Business Gorillas posted:

anime is one of humanity's greatest sins

I dunno op, anime is a pretty good sin, but I think having sex with butts is even better. Just my 2 cents.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anime is symptomatic to the coming fall of a once great civilization

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

icantfindaname posted:

anime sexualizing children and anime sexualizing adults is distinct. even in kill la kill the characters are pretty much adults. it (killer kill) is gross because it's comically misogynistic, not because it's pedophilic. something like gits or lupin 3 (which also has a big cartoon titty character that's like 35) is pretty tame all things considered

the pedo anime doesn't really get discussed around here, even in adtrw zorak shuts it down after enough people complain. although some pretty sketchy poo poo can fly there if zorak isn't pressured enough. lol zorak's terrible

Actually Kill la Kill is a breakthrough in women's' representation in Anime and if you don't believe me I will quote like six gigantic essays by hbomberguy at you

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Harime Nui posted:

Actually Kill la Kill is a breakthrough in women's' representation in Anime and if you don't believe me I will quote like six gigantic essays by hbomberguy at you

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

butthe show's not pedophilic per se.

The pedophilia is completely incidental. Why can't you guys seem to understand this? If you can just look past all the incidental pedophilia I think you'll find a very fulfilling work of art.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
actually the only things that exist in the universe, speaking from an anthropocentric perspective, are trash and things in the process of becoming trash, so anime is exactly as good as every other thing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Back when GitS-SAC was on TV I was much more a Full Metal Alchemist man, man that show owned

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

raise you're hand if u give a poo poo about hbomberguy

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i dont really hate anime but i do think "wow this is actually garbage" pretty much every time i'm exposed to it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

*starts watching an anime*

"hmm interesting premise i wonder what they will do with it"

*stupid lovely anime opening*

"oh"

*20 minute flash back sequence referencing to something that happened 10 minutes ago*

"oh"

*more anime*

"oohhhhhh"

*turns anime off*

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I used to be an All American teenager until the Toonami came along :smith:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
anime rules. well, cya

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Minorkos posted:

"oh"

*20 minute flash back sequence referencing to something that happened 10 minutes ago*

"oh"

*more anime*

"oohhhhhh"

*turns anime off*

same

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Minorkos posted:

"oh"

"oh"

*more anime*

"oohhhhhh"

*turns anime off*

i havent seen that one, is it good?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

anime rules. well, cya

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I never had a chance to avoid anime, ever since I saw Goku's big, beautiful, black eyes. It seems there are a lot of Krillins in this thread, please try to power up to at least Goten or Yamcha level anime lovers.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
anime is good just look at my av

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
there is some good anime and there is some bad anime

pretty much all of it is very campy and you have to get used to that, but if you refuse to then you're really limiting yourself

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

la maison en petits cubes had me convinced it was a french cartoon then i found out it was an anime. loving sneaky japs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2Sc8fD_Kc

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

space dandy is the best anime is ever going to get and after it's over no more anime should be made. just my two cents

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harime Nui posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke post or not? I can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke post or not? I can't tell.

Nothing those people say is a joke. Just their lives.

• Locked thread