Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Tipps posted:

At first is was pretty goony and relied on wacky/random style humor which was pretty bad, but for the last few months they've had/just wrapped up an ongoing story-arc with recurring characters and an actual plot that has kept the storytelling much tighter and better imo. The tumblr/dashcon fandom is loving terrible, but the show itself is fun.

Also it's pretty cool that maxnmona made a silly little podcast and in 2 years it's become this huge thing with sold out world tours. Gj friend. :hf:
Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
After careful consideration of all the posts in this thread, I conclude that this thing is very gay and stupid

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
beres my impression of welcone to nightvale

alright heres tonights announcements the annual werewolf swarm is approaching please remain in ur swimming pools. dr frankenstein has announced his engagement to a puddle of sentient jelly the wedding reception is at 4pm. time warp tuesday is coming up this friday get ur casseroles ready. heres a song by some lovely band. derp deuurrrr im a gay boy. when i poop in my pants its actually nanobots not poop!!! huuurrrdddppppp *makes long continuous fart sound*

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
if u don t like x files nigga kill urself

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

gently caress the ROW posted:

what's with so many dumb homosexuals being the writers or mods for this website? And making podcasts? Who has time to listen to these things, slightly fatter homosexuals? I just don't get it anymore

if you don't have a podcast about 90's ska music or children's cartoons then you are literally nobody.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ilikedirt posted:

time warp tuesday is coming up this friday get ur casseroles ready.

ahahaha

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So I finally got around to checking out the “Welcome to Night Vale” podcast:

I read the transcripts from the first two episodes at this Tumblr fan site and I was won over by the delicious, delirious storytelling.

That got me hooked. Writers Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor have painted a surreal universe with aptly chosen odd-ball details, suggestive hints, gonzo riffs and deadpan understatement. It’s creepy and funny and quotable and very well done overall.

So then I listened to the podcast.

Ugh. No. This is not at all what I had been reading. The conceit of the show is that you’re listening to a community radio station serving the isolated and very strange desert town of Night Vale. Read transcripts of the show and that is exactly the voice you will encounter. It’s the idiosyncratic voice of a strangely serene, reassuringly incurious and matter-of-fact community radio host. But the podcast itself does not allow you to encounter that voice.

You won’t hear that voice in the podcast. What you’ll hear, instead, is a book on tape, read by the narrator of a book on tape using his very best books-on-tape narrator’s voice. That’s not the voice of a community radio host. It’s the voice of someone who has apparently never heard a community radio host. This voice has nothing to do with the premise of the show.

Reading transcripts of the show, I heard the voice of this small-town radio host and it drew me into the story. Listening to books-on-tape-narrator guy reading those same words took away that voice and pushed me out of the story.

The storytelling of Night Vale is really good, but the form needs to complement the content. It should be a radio play, not a book on tape. And it should be a radio play that sounds like a radio broadcast. Somebody like Roy Blount Jr. or Tom Bodett should be reading this stuff. Maybe Tim Russell. Heck, Glenn Beck would be pretty good. Or Don Imus. Joe Frank probably sounds too much like Joe Frank, but George Noory or Art Bell would be terrific. Maybe all they really need is someone who can do a good Jean Shepherd imitation.

But not books-on-tape-narrator guy.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

ilikedirt posted:

if u don t like x files nigga kill urself

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The bands during "THE WEATHER" are consistently horrible garbage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Junkfist posted:

The bands during "THE WEATHER" are consistently horrible garbage.

there was one or two decent ones, and a few ok elevator-music but yeah they're usually boring

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
nightvale is one of several podcasts I listen to

slots nicely between scotland's funny bits and how did this get made

it is ok.

I did LOL at the Coca-Cola ad during the first episode

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the concept sounded kinda neat so i listened to like 10 minutes or so of the first episode. it was poo poo so i turned it off. there's no subtlety to it, nothing eerie or mysterious about it. instead every paranormal/conspiracy/x-files thing is happening simultaneously

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

President Ark posted:

you don't understand, people are admitting to Liking Things and in order to show how cool and awesome I am I have to talk about how it's actually dumb and stupid, just like every other Thing That People Like is.

Liking things is dumb and uncool. *scratches crotch, smiles smugly at monitor in dimly-lit basement* I am a SA forums Comedy Genius, you see.

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

ive only listened to a couple minutes, the concept is cool, but its kinda just dull and boring tbqh

just listen to i4h and cbb instead

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

every episode is basically the same. the dude talks about weird things, but they're just like the weird things from last week. and after like 20 episodes they put some gay romance in, which is maybe different week to week, i don't know.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i like the song waitin for the bus in the rain from the one weather segment and it gets stuck in my head randomly, like a lot

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
more likr iggy PPPOOPA

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

ilikedirt posted:

more likr iggy PPPOOPA

:egepop:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

wowie

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

that sounds like some shits

edit: fuckings to lamers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

it's 100% guaranteed gay as poo poo

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ilikedirt posted:

alright heres tonights announcements the annual werewolf swarm is approaching please remain in ur swimming pools. dr frankenstein has announced his engagement to a puddle of sentient jelly the wedding reception is at 4pm. time warp tuesday is coming up this friday get ur casseroles ready. heres a song by some lovely band. derp deuurrrr im a gay boy. when i poop in my pants its actually nanobots not poop!!! huuurrrdddppppp *makes long continuous fart sound*

please don't post your night vale fanfic in this thread, tia

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

ilikedirt posted:

haunting

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Ramsus posted:

is this like slenderman or something

It somehow manages to be even gayer and shittier

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

I'm disgusted
someone admitted to liking Adam carolla in this thread and instead of switching targets we're all circlejerking about how an actually gay podcast is bad because people like it
gbs finds new ways to disappoint me every day.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

adam carolla is bad and a lot worse than this but i listened to the first episdoe and it was a not that good voice actor trying to deadpan wacky ~spooky~ stuff. i didnt like it sorry goon who made it :shrug:

Parallax Scroll posted:

the concept sounded kinda neat so i listened to like 10 minutes or so of the first episode. it was poo poo so i turned it off. there's no subtlety to it, nothing eerie or mysterious about it. instead every paranormal/conspiracy/x-files thing is happening simultaneously

yeah this is also my opinion im not trying to be contrarian i just didnt like it im sorry gbs im sorry *weeps really loudly as the gay hooded werewolves descend on my dark abode*

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 18, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also i thought adam carolla died from a drug overdose already

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

a not that good voice actor
It's a skinny nasally nerd embarrassing himself, can no one else hear this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Reset Button posted:

I'm disgusted
someone admitted to liking Adam carolla in this thread and instead of switching targets we're all circlejerking about how an actually gay podcast is bad because people like it

Dude said he likes Joe Rogan as well, so he's obviously trolling hard.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

one person responded though and that wasn't enough

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Reset Button posted:

I'm disgusted

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ladyboy pancake posted:

enjoy nothing. try nothing. hate everything. stay in your room until you die.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Here are some quotes from the past that will inform the current conversation. Please look to these quotes whenever self-hating goons get anxious to conform and dogpile something.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Goons hate everything. Goons have always hated everything. Goons will always hate everything. There is no love, there is no liking. There is only hate.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

fascinating. this poster actually admits to liking a nerd thing in GBS, yet he still feels the need to include a stock anti-nerd, GBS-sanctioned disclaimer as a means to signal his continued loyalty to the in-group, head off any potential criticism of his opinion, and avoid excessive shaming by the community. each day, i feel i'm getting closer and closer to a Grand Unified Theory of GBS Posting.

Wendigee posted:

goons hate everything and thus deserve nothing.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

We're all self-hating goons. That's become the defining premise of this site.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
"I listen to podcasts that aren't uhh yeah dude and i have opinions about them" - people itt

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Reset Button posted:

I'm disgusted

holy poo poo what a fag

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
And now........ TO THE lovely INDIE MUSIC WEATHER

Besides that I like it. I think the commercials are my favorite part.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Othin posted:

And now........ TO THE lovely INDIE MUSIC WEATHER

Besides that I like it. I think the commercials are my favorite part.

:hb: hello everybody its cloudy with a chance of meatballs....... alien meatballs :hb:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Ramsus posted:

holy poo poo what a fag

nice try queermo

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

A misanthrope posted:

nice try queermo

I wanna do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
wtnv is funny and good, but it's probably not for everyone. also i think tumblr only likes it because there is a gay relationship in it so they don't have to work as hard to ship it

• Locked thread