Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Made Cooking With Dog's dango jiru (sans the dango). It was actually really good. Next time I'll have to make the dumplings, too. This time, though, I put a cup of cooked rice and cracked two large eggs into the remaining broth, turned it to simmer, and made some congee to split with my partner. Pretty good stuff, and I'm not even a big fan of chicken thighs. I hadn't used niboshi in a really long time and was pleasantly surprised that the broth didn't even have a hint of fishiness once it was all done.

Was going to make a fritter with the drained niboshi tomorrow, but my cats ate it all. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

niboshi are really bitter to eat.

Maybe if you leave the stomach and head on. I found it to be pretty tasty when decapitated and eviscerated. :kheldragar:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

Fair enough, have never gone through the effort. Would usually just get fresh sardines.

Sadly, fresh sardines are only occasionally available here. Which is a little weird for New England, I think, but I don't know much about fishin'. Last time I got some, I made iwashi no kanroni though. Quite good!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Cooking With Dog might be a good resource for you, then. Here's their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?cookingwithdog?videos Most of their recipes are for one or two portions, have relatively easy to obtain ingredients, and don't rely on too many appliances. They're also generally veg-heavy. CwD has playlists for donburi, seafood, and various meats. The videos are sort and the ingredient lists and some notes are contained in the video descriptions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I just wanna thank you for introducing this to me. Not only is this super helpful but it's also goddamn amazing.

YOU LIKE BUTTON!

I'm glad you like it! :blush: I found CwD via another goon's post (not sure whose, when, or what thread!) and love it.

You might like humblebeanblog.com as well. It's infrequently updated these days, but most of the Japanese recipes are manageable ingredient-wise and rarely involve truly gargantuan portions. I often feel like other websites are aiming recipes at people with either large families or frequent dinner parties, neither of which describes this DINK-rear end household...

Dashi stuff isn't too hard to source if you can find a Korean or Japanese market in your area or if you have something like a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's. In the former set of options, you should be able to get niboshi (dried sardines) and/or bonito flakes (shaved dehydrated skipjack tuna). In both sets of options, you should be able to find dehydrated kelp (konbu/kombu in Japanese, dashima in Korean). Some Chinese markets might carry the kelp labeled as 海带 or 'haidai'. If you can get the kelp, that's really all you need imo. You can use water from rehydrating dried shiitake mushrooms in addition or solo as a savory, vegan-friendly replacement, too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks for the link! I tried making Ginger Beef tonight, and it doesn't quite look the same. I got thin sliced beef from the grocery store, but it's way thicker and tougher than it looks in the picture. (EDIT: now that I'm actually eating it, it's not as tough as it looked, but definitely thicker) In the pic, it looks like it's practically shavings, while mine's more like fajita thickness. How did it get that thin? Do you just ask the butcher to cut it reaaaaaaally thin?

So there are a few things you can do: keep having the meat a bit thicker, which is easy; buy uncut meat and get it about half frozen, then shave it yourself; ask your butcher to slice a cut for you to about sliced bacon thinness; or go to a local Asian market of whatever stripe, where you're likely to find thinly sliced meats in the freezer section if they don't have a butcher counter. I've done all of these, they'll all do for most dishes. Shabu-shabu is honestly one of the few where the meat's thickness is really important.

Otherwise, I think the way the meat is sliced really has more to do with the cost of meat in Japan, especially beef. Thin-sliced beef increases surface area, so it both looks and feels as though you have more meat than you really do. That's more satisfying to the appetite but gentler on the wallet.

d3rt posted:

What's the difference between Nabe and Shabu Shabu?

To add a little more detail, shabu-shabu is a type of hot pot where you swish thinly sliced cuts of meat in the hot broth. The name refers to that sound. Other hotpots usually involve a longer simmer period instead.

Y-Hat posted:

This Youtube channel is why I'm interested in making Japanese food. I wish the non-metric measurements were in cups instead of ounces, but that's only a little bit more work to do on my part.

For US cup measures, there's 8 oz to a cup, and 16 Tbsp to a cup. Each Tbsp is 1/2 oz. I keep a scale, graduated measuring glass, and a graduated shot glass around because everyone likes different measurements... But hopefully this helps you out. Different nations' cup measurements don't match, so it's a bit more precise for her to indicate quantities by oz.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Dried salted squid is more of a drinking food, I think. If you weren't drunk while eating it, you missed an essential part of the experience.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
They're not in season right now, but I've ordered matsutake online from Mikuni Wild Harvest and Oregon Mushroom Co. and both companies did a pretty good job. It is expensive, but as a seasonal treat it can be worthwhile to forgo Fallout for. If you live in New England, RI Mushroom Co. also sells them, but good luck getting them -- they're always sold out when I call.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you're looking to do healthy stuff, avoid deep/shallow fried stuff like karaage and tempura; regardless of whether you put an inch or two inches of oil in for frying, your food's gonna take up a lot of fat. In the end, though, portion size is king.

You'll find that many recipes call for sugar even where you might not expect it, like beef stew. If you're concerned about it, reduce the amount of sugar you use or eliminate it. I find that many savory recipes run too sweet for my taste.

Also, the more savory rolled egg omelet is dashimaki tamago: http://norecipes.com/recipe/dashimaki-tamago - he calls for white soy sauce, which can be hard to find; use either regular salt to taste or less of whatever soy sauce you have on hand if you don't mind a darker color.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Negimiso is really good. I like the double onion recipe here: http://justhungry.com/negimiso-or-misonegi-japanese-onion-miso-sauce-or-paste

Fried, marinated or bbq tofu is also good!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

So the flesh is not meant to get somewhat tougher, become a deeper red-orange, and become a little "sticky"? I'm beginning to wonder if I didn't just let the fillet go bad or something instead.

You over-cured the salmon. I did the same thing with a 24 hr gravlax recipe last year -- the cure:fish ratio was wrong. You need less salt and/or less time. I'd start by testing the salmon after one day.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Azuth0667 posted:

I pan fried and steamed this batch but, I've seen them made where the entire wrapper is crispy. How would I go about getting that result, deep frying?

Yep, deep frying. I like peanut oil for that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

There's granules of kombu dashi available in most Asian markets for sure.

These are pretty decent.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've found that the mushroom bouillon soup powder you can get at some (mostly Chinese and Vietnamese ime) markets is also pretty good as a base for osuimono and miso soups, though you need to know how salty the powder and your miso are before you do that... I got one borderline inedible combination once and :yikes:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's usually a powdered blend of amylase and glutamates, sometimes with extra starches. Amylase is the same enzyme present in saliva. Amylase and water break down starches into sugars, so adding amylase to rice will soften it and probably boost sweet flavors. The MSG or kombu powder add a savory kick. The starches probably act as filler, keep the powder from clumping, and improve stickiness for shaping nigiri. There's a post here about the miora one dude uses. Take it with a grain of rice, I guess? :shrug: I don't think miora really improves sushi over the traditional seasoning.

I use powdered enzyme amylase to brew makgeolli from rice, and that stuff does rapidly break cooked rice down.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yuzu and lemon taste pretty different, but if you like it, don't worry about it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's a pretty good lunchbox option too if you have access to a microwave. Cool the egg a bit less set than you usually would to account for the microwave and you're set. That was my favorite desk lunch :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Combine miso of any sort with a small amount of sake and mirin to make a long lasting pickling bed for vegetables like the stalks of broccoli, sliced carrots, green beans, etc. The same mix also is a great medium for marinating meats and soft boiled eggs, just thin with more sale or mirin - the latter will give a sweeter taste obvs. Ginger and garlic and scallions are good ways to adjust the flavor to your liking.

Miso, honey, and butter are great on corn on the cob. Grill the corn, slather that on, then return to heat briefly to caramelize. That's my favorite way to eat corn. :3:

I recently had a miso kabocha pie that was great but I haven't taken the time to try to work out a similar recipe.

Miso makes a pretty good secret ingredients in marinades, sauces, stews, and really any place where a salty, savory boost is desired, esp if the richness of fermented food would work well. The fermentation process gives some of the same flavors as cheese, which is why I think miso can work in desserts -- it fills a similar niche as cream cheese and other dessert cheeses.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you're using a chewier cut, try manually tenderizing it once. It's not as pretty looking, but I find that the results speak for themselves!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I used a cubed steak tonight. :shobon: I think it might be how I'm cooking it, the inside isn't pink or anything.

Hmm! Maybe you're cooking on too high heat, or it really legitimately could still be the cut of beef, assuming your cubesteak isn't a straight up ground beef patty. Sometimes a mechanically tenderized cubesteak will still be kinda tough, which isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it's an economical cut, so concentrating on enhancing its flavor might be more practical than sweating over the tenderness. For regular pounded/perforated style cubesteak, I still salt and rest it, bring the meat to room temp, then cook, and let it rest a bit longer much like a regular cut before plating and saucing.

(Also if you like chaliapin steak you might like pork shogayaki!)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've seen some chaliapin recipes that start and garnish with garlic oil, but I meant in general -- a lot of cubesteak recipes have a sauce. Thinking about it is making me hungry...

If you're cooking the cubesteak to well done anyway, low and slow might be a better route -- that might help turn some of the connective tissue nice and tender. You're probably always going to have some chewiness with cubesteak unless you get a really tender cut and then tenderize it on top of that (which kinda misses the point imo).

For the thinly sliced pork, you might be able to get someone at your grocery's butcher counter to do it. Otherwise, a lot of Korean and Japanese markets will have thinly sliced pork and beef in their freezer section. Not sure about other Asian markets, but if there's a convenient one nearby, it never hurts to check. Those thin slices are good for hotpot too. The best I can manage at home is partially freezing the meat, slicing it as thinly as I can with a very sharp knife, and then pounding it out a bit. It's not quite the same, as you said.

I've heard a lot of grocery meat sections aren't really offering butcher services to customers anymore, which is a shame. I haven't encountered this yet myself, though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Salt and msg are delicious and if loving them means my remains are beautifully pickled, so be it.

Anyone got the goods on fresh sardine recipes? I've done a simmered one that ends with a somewhat sweet glaze - iwashi no kanroni? - but that preparation wasn't really to my taste.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

Can't remember if I put it in the op but I also recommend Quick & Easy Tsukemono.

It's real good. I've made just about every recipe in that book, save those I can't get the right ingredients for. (I'm looking at you, myoga.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Perilla is easy as hell to start but I too have had a hell of a time getting aka and aoshiso to start from seed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mindphlux posted:

does anyone know the magic technique behind 'burnt miso' ramen?

I had this poo poo in kyoto and it was.... insanely good...

google has failed me thusfar.

Coincidentally, I just ate this in Kyoto three days ago. It is seriously awesome. We're you at Gogyo? The bowl looks like what I had. I'm also mulling over how to reproduce this.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 29, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Semirelated, I guess...? It's not cooking but it is about tea implements. I recently acquired a chawan. Is it cool to post about chanoyu in here or should I dig up the drinks thread?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Is there a traditionally spicy dish in Japan (besides curry)? I know Japanese food isn't known for its heat but I figure they must've picked up something from China or Korea over the centuries.

Aside from a condiment made by grating a daikon that has been pierced with small hot red peppers, I don't personally know of any traditionally spicy Japanese dishes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

I need to know of this condiment and "hot daikon" isn't doing much.

Momiji oroshi iirc. The name refers to red maple leaves. I've mainly had it in ponzu sauce with sashimi. You pierce a daikon and insert rehydrated chili peppers (poke em in with a chopstick). Then grate and drain before serving.

Okay, here's my newest piece of tea ware. This is a bizen style tea bowl made by Mori Tozan. I've included the box since it's also an important component. Sorry that it is currently untied!

There's a specific way to tie the box ribbon. The indigo cloth is for wrapping the bowl and makes it a bit easier to take out, since there isn't too much spare room inside.

Today I finished preparing the tea bowl for use, so it's just drying out a bit more before I whisk some thin tea in it for the first time.

Here's Mori Tozan's signature. Mori is the potter's family name and Tozan is his pottery name. He specializes in bizen ware.

e: I decided I should expand a little on the subject. Recently I've returned to studying tea, and during my honeymoon I got to attend an urasenke style ceremony. Not the full blown four hour formal type, but a shorter two hour demonstration including arranging charcoal and heating the iron kettle over it -- a rarity these days when most practitioners use an electric heat source or kettle.

Many practitioners will say that practicing the Japanese tea ceremony will let you understand everything about the culture, since the ceremony incorporates so many different arts as well as a particularly close relationship with Zen and with the nation's history. The school of tea I mentioned, urasenke, is the biggest of the three main schools that came from Sen no Rikyu's successors. Sen no Rikyu's is a pretty notable historical figure and well worth reading about. You could say he is at least partly responsible for the wabi sabi aesthetic -- which is what the above tea bowl is all about.

The "thin tea" I mentioned is made with matcha powder. It's also what I was served during the demo and is commonly served during these more truncated and casual tea ceremonies. The type of matcha used in these events is much higher quality than what is typically used for flavoring cakes and lattes; the food grade matcha would wind up unpalatably bitter for most people. Matcha is still one of those things where a higher price mostly goes hand in hand with higher quality. The better grades of ceremonial matcha are less bitter and more floral, and well worth exploring without going all in on the ceremonial side.

Thin tea generally has about two scoops of matcha from a small bamboo implement called the chashaku. It's still much thicker than steeped tea! Thick tea uses about three times as much matcha. Both are whisked with a bamboo whisk called a chasen. Getting a good foamy head is pretty important and the process also helps cool the scalding hot water a bit for the guest.

Anyway that's not much of an overview, but gently caress it I hope someone found it a bit informative!

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 2, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the clay... supposed to look like the poo poo you take after a food truck festival? Your bowl looks like someone enjoyed a lot of meat on a stick and mexicorn.

I mean, no disrespect to the hand crafting and very authentic nature of it, but that clay and glaze looks hella rough.

edit: My mistake, I have done some googling, and holy hell. Yours is not the roughest of the bunch by far.

Yup, it's supposed to be like that! That well beyond rustic look is pretty prized.

The Mori family is one of six pottery families given Hideyoshi's personal protection, and one of the three that remain active in the pottery scene.

Bizen pottery is actually unglazed. The red color is a characteristic of Imbe clay and is obtained by oxidation during firing. Some ash has also flecked into the bowl during firing, which contributes to some pale spots called goma, or sesame seeds. The darkened area is from charcoal added to the tunnel kiln near the end of the firing process.

The piece doesn't feel nearly as rough as it looks and is really pleasant to handle.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Double posting but Tokyo Banana is weirdly good and I totally didn't expect that.

Does anyone have a recipe for the sweetened chestnuts wrapped in mochi? I've not really candied much before.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

How much does something like that cost?

Bizen ware can kinda run the gamut of prices, and work from well known studios and names costs more. (Prices in Bizen the town are apparently higher on average than they are elsewhere, too.) It's not cheap.

You can easily drop hundreds of USD on this kind of tea ware and that's not even approaching like collecting Yi dynasty ceramics imported from Korea or all the insanely valuable antique celadon and Ming pieces.

That's not to say that someone interested in tea ware has to be rich or an art thief. You can get beautiful work for less. Heck, there are some cute starter sets on Amazon for like $30. That's how I started after studying a little urasenke in college. The bowls aren't named but who cares?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

I was wondering specifically about the price of something that's specifically named like what you have. I know someone that is a ceramic artist and she had expressed an interest in getting something like that from Japan. But if it's hundreds then I doubt that's something I can pick up for her. Thanks!

Definitely look online. There's stuff up at auction for less. It's almost all unnamed, but still. (You can always name it yourself. That's legit.) You have to be cautious, though, since many postings are either inaccurately labeled or outright deceptive.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
thick cut pancetta is a decent alternative if sliced pork belly is hard to come by. Bacon just isn't always an appropriate alternative to pork belly. But I also don't really like bacon being shoved into every single food for the same reason.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How can I reduce the salty flavor of soy sauce? Tonight I made ginger pork chops. I marinated them all day in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, sake, red pepper flakes and grated ginger. Then I fried them up in my cast iron skillet and flash cooked some mushrooms in the juice.

It was good, but it was a bit on the salty side. What can I add to the recipe to reduce the saltiness?

Use less soy sauce. Also, some styles and brands of soy sauce use less salt than others. Low sodium and dark soy sauce may be placed to start. Last, if you're using a real old bottle, it might have experienced some evaporation over time. The seals aren't always very good. That would concentrate the saltiness.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I think Kikkoman is saltier too, Grand Fromage. Yamasa seems a lot less salty.

But yeah six tablespoons seems like rather a lot. Scaling back and maybe substituting some dashi as GF suggested would help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Egg sauce on fresh rice is good. Especially with an extra yolk.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Nimono? Any of the simmered dishes would probably take on a nice texture, but I guess you might need to adjust the sauces or reduce them anyway to make up for the lack of evaporation.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What kind of fermented soybean? Natto? Douchi? Various pastes?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure the base is kewpie mayonnaise...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Knowing Japan it's probably just mayo.

Maybe with some added lemon! But yeah, it may be just mayo. The couple places I went in Tokyo didn't put anything on the shredded cabbage; the diners just dribbled seasoned soy sauce on it. Wasn't bad, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought some furikake last time I was at the Asian store and finally used it tonight. Holy poo poo it is gods gift to man. It's amazing.

I'm probably gonna make some rice balls tomorrow and cover them in it. What should I put in the middle?

Cheese. Negimiso. Pickles. Leftover meat. The power is yours!