Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tendales posted:

Use Japanese curry as gravy on mashed potatoes. Don't question it, just do it.

I'm... going to do that for thanksgiving. Maybe on gratin potatoes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Laminator posted:

Are there any ingredients that you think would be good to get while in Japan, like things that are going to be more difficult to find in the US? We have a pretty decent Asian market near our place in OKC, but it caters mostly to Vietnamese and Chinese cooking and its Japanese section is pretty sparse. Some things that I've grabbed are Okonomi sauce, Kewpie mayonnaise (I know you can get it on Amazon but eh). Maybe some good mirin?

If you can, get some real wasabi because the stuff they call "wasabi" in the US is actually horseradish with food coloring.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey anyone more familiar with Japanese people than me, can you confirm that among the Japanese, Osakans are massive Italian-tier gatekeepers about food authenticity

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Japanese Cooking Thread, what is the best okonomiyaki recipe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Do you prefer Osaka or Hiroshima style?
That is the only important okonomiyaki question tbh.

Just eat it with lots of sauce and mayo and bonito.

I want okonomiyaki now.

I would like to try both but let’s start with Osaka

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey when Japanese cook with cabbage like in okonomiyaki is it Napa or is it the western green cabbage

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

More similar to western yeah, but it is different. If you go to an Asian grocery they should have them, they're wide and flat instead of spherical. Usually labeled Taiwanese cabbage around here.

Aaaah this clears up a mystery for me. I just got a hand-pulled noodle meal kit from a Chinese restaurant and the cabbage that came with it was oval.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I use Panko instead of tenkasu in okonomiyaki and takoyaki, am I committing a food crime?

What about if I use Ramen instead of yakisoba in the Hiroshima Okonomiyaki

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hiroshima okonomiyaki is totally show off okonomiyaki. Extra okonomiyaki. I love it but it’s a lot of work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I found some Chuka Soba at the Chinese market, I guess that’s the name of the noodle used to make yakisoba the dish? It appears to be a thin version of alkaline Chinese noodles

Which sounds like it’s basically ramen?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay working on a new okonomiyaki method

Osaka style is too simple and Hiroshima style is too fiddly. This takes the ingredients of Hiroshima but condenses them into two layers

Mix your cabbage and fillings into the batter like Osaka style

Put your pork/bacon on a hot pan, then dump the cabbage on top so that they’ll cook and stick together

Fry, flip, fry, remove to dish.

Fry the noodles, then remove to a bowl. Mix in a beaten egg while the noodles are still hot so they lightly cook like a carbonara.

Dump carbonara noodles on top of the cabbage pancake, put toppings on it

(Use guanciale instead of bacon if you want to pretend it’s italian fusion)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

We can all agree Hiroshima okonomiyaki is superior, I hope.

Osakans are approximately as militant about food purity as YouTube Italians from what I’ve experienced, and get angry when people say this. At least the ones I know

Also scold you if you put anything other than octopus in takoyaki style balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can one convert regular noodles to alkaline noodles or do they have to be made that way