Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hallo spacedog posted:

I think once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty simple, and the seasonings are compared to something like Thai or various Indian cuisines, thankfully limited. If you have any questions or requests, just let me know.

Most of them keep like forever too, so you can stock up all the basics on one trip and be good until you run out of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen Koreanized ramen with that color here. Miso and gochujang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Freeze a lot of dashi in usable portions. One or two cups (and remember you can reduce it and rehydrate). That gives you more or less instant miso soup and a start to lots of other things.

I make a lot of nimono: http://justhungry.com/handbook/cooking-courses/japanese-cooking-101-lesson-3-nimono-simmered-dish-basics

You put together a broth (dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake) and then simmer whatever in it. Tends to keep well and is low effort.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody got a good yakisoba sauce recipe? I don't like it sweet. I've never made it before but I assume it's just fry things until cooked and the only real thing to know is the sauce.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was able to find some online. So yakisoba is basically:

Boil noodles until almost cooked.
Fry pork and vegetables in a normal frying of pork and vegetables way.
Add the noodles.
Bulldog sauce until it tastes like you want it.

Anything else to know?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Don't boil the noodles unless you're using some kind of really different noodles. Most yakisoba noodles cook in a small amount of water in the pan. But essentially that's it, top with plenty of benishouga, aonori and mayo for max authenticity.

I don't know if I can actually score yakisoba noodles here. I've seen soba, somen, and dried udon. I have access to various Chinese noodles though, if one's a good substitute.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This book is cool, too. http://www.amazon.com/Kansha-Celebrating-Japans-Vegetarian-Traditions/dp/1580089550

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What is the Japanese clear broth soup with sliced green onion? Sometimes it has miso in it but usually not. I've never seen it as a main dish but it's common as a side, especially at like tonkatsu places.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know but it's always modified. That soup never tastes like pure dashi but I don't know what they add to it. I'm also wondering what the name is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep, that's it. Looks like soy sauce/salt/sake is the usual addition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There really isn't much you can do without some basics, but the basics aren't expensive and they all keep very well. Are you in the US? You can buy everything you need on Amazon. If you can score soy sauce, miso, sake, mirin, rice vinegar, kombu, katsuobushi, and nori you'll have a lot of options. Dried dashi powder is honestly fine most of the time too, so while there are other things you can do with kombu/katsuobushi you could skip those for now and just get powder. It's a bit of an upfront expense but none of that stuff is very perishable. You'll also need rice but that should be easy enough to get. Short grain.

There's a lot of specialized Japanese cooking equipment but if you own a pot and a pan you're fine. A lot of that poo poo isn't really necessary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What exactly was the problem? The flavor, the juiciness?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can also try brining if it's coming out too dry. A lot of fried chicken you get at restaurants is brined and it's a big reason why doing it at home tastes different.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone have a brand preference among these misos? http://world.taobao.com/search/sear...XVc&abtest=null

I mainly use shiro miso for miso soup but obviously flexible is good. I don't want it with dashi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you expecting it to be like standard American pickles? Japanese ones are pretty different. American pickles get a lot of flavor from herbs and such more than the actual pickling. Japanese ones don't have the herbs, often have no flavoring at all and are just sort of a subtly soured/salty version of the normal vegetables.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Let them sit longer. 12 hours isn't going to pickle much of anything. A week's usually your minimum to get any kind of pickly flavors.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You don't use gochujang in kimchi so you will be disappointed! This is a good starter recipe if you take the sugar out entirely and double the gochugaru: http://smithratliff.com/2013/04/29/how-to-make-kimchi-kimchee-recipe/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always chop the cabbage first. It doesn't make any real difference.

Tofu squeezin' cloth is basically cheesecloth, yes. Making tofu and making cheese have a lot in common. The stuff you curdle the soy milk with is usually powdered gypsum.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Why not buy some cheesecloth?

Cheesecloth can be very hard to track down in Asia but pantyhose is easy. Most people don't make their own tofu anymore either, so tofu making supplies are also surprisingly hard to find in some places.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone suggested a really good series on Chinese food (In china! By a Chinese broadcasting company! For Chinese people to watch! I actually think it might have been you who suggested it, Fromage. I forget the name of the documentary though, it was a series) that went pretty in-depth on tofu. It was super interesting! But then towards the end, they start talking about Milky Tofu, a kind of tofu made from milk, and showing how they make it. And oh wow does Milky Tofu look so super cool and interesting and why have I never heard about this stuff, that's so neat, I gotta try making it myself, hell, I bet I could it looks just like make...ing...cheese. It's cheese. That is cheese that they are making. Why did I not realize this.

I think that was A Bite of China, which is really cool.

I don't remember the milky tofu part but there is a group in southern China with a native cheesemaking tradition, I've always wanted to try it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Maybe look up how they're pickled in Korea? I can't recall what Japanese daikon pickles are like but the Korean ones don't have any weird smell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Getting hot as balls over here. What are your favorite summer recipes? The only one I know is cold soba with tsuyu.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I haven't tried that one but there are a bunch of brands of packaged fancy ramen and yeah, it's not bad at all. I've had worse from ramen restaurants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone have any particular favorite Japanese curry roux brands? I like hot, not sweet. I only have a couple brands available to me where I am (the generic ones, House and uh... S&B?) but I'll be in Japan on vacation and want to bring a few different ones back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Buy the Coco Curry ones. But only for me, you don't get any.

Do they sell them at Coco Curry or grocery stores? I just found a wider variety at a new store here and picked up Java to try. Also a lot of honey and apple ones, apparently it's a thing? I didn't know there were so many Jews in Japan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

net work error posted:

How long does miso keep in the fridge once opened?

Long enough you are unlikely to see it go bad. If it gets moldy toss it. The color at the top will change with oxidation, it doesn't seem to change the flavor or anything but you can keep it with plastic wrap pushed up against it if you want. I just ziploc it and don't worry about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone know what miora does? The internet tells me it "improves sushi rice" but without any detail what that means.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cool thanks. That sounds kind of dumb and gross so I don't think I'll get any.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't want to be all :goonsay: about it, but seriously consider ditching the dashi powder. It saves you little time, it costs roughly the same, and has MSG out the rear end. To me, eliminating MSG and keeping your sodium reasonable is worth the time (maybe 2 minutes more, maybe).

You know that white powder on your kombu when you're making fresh dashi? That's MSG from the seaweed. Enjoy!

I agree that making fresh dashi is good but the powder's actually pretty good quality. I make dashi when I'm cooking something really dashi-centric like a clear udon soup and use the powder for stuff where the dashi is just a supporter to the other ingredients.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also use Ajinomoto. Sometimes if you're lucky there's a variety you can find, there's some made with anchovies instead of katsuobushi for a more Korean thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Buffis posted:

Uh... planning to make some dashi, and couldn't find anything marked as Kombu in the asian supermarket near me, but bought this thing which I think is correct.

Did I buy the right thing or gently caress up and buy some other type of Kelp?

Yes, that is kombu. Those first two characters are the Chinese word for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks fine to me. The best stock is immune to gravity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You need to describe in detail what exactly you're doing.

The rinse/drain/wait/cook cycle makes the rice a little firmer than just wash and cook but it's not crispy unless you're burning something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sake with sugar would be a lot closer than Shaoxing. But I would look around online, I can buy hon mirin for like $2 a bottle on the internet in China so I can't imagine it's not available in a real country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I think that really depends on what you're making.

I agree. It's not going to make it garbage but both mirin and sugar are things that are noticeable in their absence from a lot of Japanese food. If it's something that:

A) has sake
B) has sweetness from other ingredients
C) has heavy flavors from the non-liquid ingredients

You can probably get away with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are you doing lazy sushi rice by adding the vinegar and sugar to the rice cooker? That always makes the bottom layer burn in my experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Gogyo burnt miso ramen is awesome and everybody should go if you're in Kyoto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

P.S. Replace the potatoes in your nikujaga with chunks of lotus root and daikon, y'all. It is goooood.

Why not both

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sashimi/sushi grade on US labeling means nothing at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've also been racking my brain for a traditional spicy Japanese food and can't come up with anything. They expelled the Portuguese and only allowed in Dutch traders and the Portuguese were the ones who spread peppers all over Asia. That's my wild hypothesis for why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I brought a bunch of fancy misos back from Japan and don't want to waste them. My impression is miso lasts basically forever if it's not opened and similarly forever if it's open but in the fridge, as long as it's not moldy it's fine. Am I correct in this?