Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/are-bronies-new-hippies-new-documentary-says-they-could-change-world/15594

quote:

Footage of the Twin Towers aflame on 9/11 is not what I would expect to see in a documentary about Bronies. This growing subculture of teen and adult fans of the cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has never seemed so relevant to anything other than their own odd phenomenon. But in the film A Brony Tale, these misunderstood masses are made out to be something quite special within the context of human history. They're compared to the jazz crowd of the 1920s and to the Beatniks and, most assuredly, to the hippies. They are a response to all the terrorism and war and violence and financial catastrophe of the 21st century.

And they might just be the answer to all the problems of the world, as well.

Can that really be so? The historical connection mainly comes from neuropsychologist Marsha Redden, who with her associate Dr. Patrick Edwards has been conducting a study on the Brony fandom for the past few years. If you've seen the previous documentary on the subject, Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, this is the same academic duo that appears there. But this time they've got a lot more to say on the cultural significance of this group, in addition to the social aspect. "I think that 10 years later, this is what we're seeing," Redden states regarding the link to 9/11 and its aftermath.

This. This is the face of the new counter-culture.

For fucks sake a bunch of adult men who sexualize cartoon ponies are not going to be some cultural watershed movement. This whole thing seems to be a incestual circle-jerk between 2 wacked out researchers who've made studying bronies their job so of course none of their research is going to say "This is a waste of time its just another internet sexual deviance"

This of course is because there is a second Brony documentary within 2 years starring the 2 same researchers touting the brony culture as this era defining movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brony_Tale

quote:

Canadian voice-over artist, Ashleigh Ball, has been the voice of numerous cartoon characters. However, when she was hired as the voice of Applejack and Rainbow Dash on the 4th generation installment of Hasbro's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series, she had no idea she was about to become an internet phenomenon and voice celebrity among a very unique type of fan, the Bronies. Bronies, or "Bro"-"Ponies", are a subculture of teenage and adults, mostly male, fans of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and adopt the show's themes of kindness, loyalty, generosity, honesty, laughter, friendship, and personal responsibility. A Brony Tale follows Ashleigh into this unknown world, to the 2012 BronyCon – and challenges some deep felt preconceptions.[2][3] The film also includes footage and interviews with Bronies taken at the "Canterlot Gardens" convention held in mid-2012 near Cleveland, Ohio.[4]

I think on some level Ball has cracked and the only way to reconcile the hordes of fan mail she gets from 30-year-olds talking about how much they want to gently caress Applejack & Rainbow Dash is to pretend that this is some magical (lol) phenomenon that is going to heal a post 9/11 world and bring a shared utopia upon us.

So, the 1920s was the Jazz Age, the 60s was the era of the Hippies, and now the 2010s will be the Brony Epoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
bronies are the same as hippies in that they both need to die

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I think you're onto something here OP.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no; hippies were stoned, whereas bronies need to be

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

quakster posted:

no; hippies were stoned, whereas bronies need to be

to daeth, yes

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
lol @ 9/11 "correlation"

osama's ultimate goal was to create infantile manbabies

if the towers didn't fall, these men would be guzzling beer and loving cheerleaders

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would a Bronie who's also a Tranny be a Troonie?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

EugeneJ posted:

Would a Bronie who's also a Tranny be a Troonie?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

No, but homestuck is the new Ulysses

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ˇautismus, ay caramba!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the age of equestrius

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Hippies at least threw a pretty sweet concert.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

no, hippies had sex

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
If the preaching of hippies is at least partly responsible for the generally more peaceful and accepting society we have today, does that mean equine-specific bestiality will be protected by law in the year 2064?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
if you're going to san francisco, be sure to wear retarded horse ears in your hair

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
hippies are sweaty, unwashed, and brought a new age of sexual freedom and sweet music

bronies are sweaty, unwashed, and want to have sex with children and/or cartoon horses

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

if you're going to san francisco, be sure to wear retarded horse ears in your hair

and instead of a bong

your pony fuckdoll

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mr. hands was a pioneer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

howard stern has hit rough times

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

SpazmasterX posted:

hippies are sweaty, unwashed, and brought a new age of sexual freedom and sweet music

bronies are sweaty, unwashed, and want to have sex with children and/or cartoon horses

They produce some fairly average eurobeat too actually.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The series has been renewed for 6 more years.

It's going to be 2020 before it ends and Hasbro has all the names under legacy trademarks like Optimus Prime and Cobra Commander so they'll never go away.

Also beware the Jem and the Holograms movie/anime series.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

pedophilia is "cool" now i guess

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

If this is the quality of your posts how did you get that red text? This is a good post, be pround.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
We clearly need to tone down the anti-bullying propaganda if this is the result.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Has it been mentioned that the series is filled with references to the Big Lebowlski from start to finish?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

desperate to be given a chance to belong

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

not reading this poo poo but willing to geuss No

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If the twin towers were full of bronies no one would have been upset over 9/11

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Holy loving poo poo those eyebrow things

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No because at their core, hippies liked things that were totally reasonable, like peace and free love and smoking lots of weed. They just became annoying about it.

Bronies like a children's cartoon show that isn't even very good. So it's pretty difficult to sympathize although I honestly don't give much of a gently caress.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i didn't know tim and eric released new episodes

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I refuse to watch that show but what do these fuckers see in it?

Isnt it like dora the explorer level crap for little kids?

Or, is there some kind of retarded rear end "deep and meaningful" subplot?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

one episode featured the ponies getting ready for prom which included such things as getting their hair done

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

psyopmonkey posted:

I don't know. Watched the first couple episodes just to see what all the fuss was about and it just seems very simple, like 5-year-old simple. And not in a way that's secretly hilarious to adults. It's literally a show for 5 year olds.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Robo Reagan posted:

one episode featured the ponies getting ready for prom which included such things as getting their hair done

How the gently caress would a hoved animal do hairdressing? They dont have the manual dexterity.

This sounds like an awful show.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

How the gently caress would a hoved animal do hairdressing? They dont have the manual dexterity.

This sounds like an awful show.

friendship is magic idiot you can do anything with magic including getting your hair done in time for prom

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
So if there are subcultures of retards that watch this poo poo. Are there subcultures with 20something males that are totally into dora the explorer or that blue dog?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

The Whole Internet posted:

I don't know. Watched the first couple episodes just to see what all the fuss was about and it just seems very simple, like 5-year-old simple. And not in a way that's secretly hilarious to adults. It's literally a show for 5 year olds.

same. there are absolutely no hidden, darker plots or subtexts or levels. any "adult" in-jokes and themes are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

have hippies authored anything as splendorous as Fallout Equestria? I think not

• Locked thread