Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
droid you are brung to my little pony as a moth is to light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

JazzFlight posted:

this woulda been funny if it wasnt faker than a 3 dollar bill

plus wasnt that brony dating sim kickstarter on the last page just a prank by some fedora wearing z-list youtube celebrity

It must suck being that bad of a youtube celeb. Like all it takes to surpass that point is a couple minecraft videos and recording yourself screaming like a girl while playing [scary game of the month].

Also hippies do suck but they at least did cool things like drugs in a park and listening to music. All bronies do is become youtube celebs and bitch about feminism.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Das Boo posted:

Her job requires her to interview a lot of voice actors and she often winds up befriending them. I think the story was that she reblogged a picture of a pony with its head on a skewer from on the her VA friends. It was attributed to her by Bronies, who started spamming her with death threats and poo poo. Then when she was chatting up said VA at a con, she excused herself to the bathroom and was promptly sucker-punched by a man in a Rainbow Dash wig. As far as I know, she still has to get admins on her social media sites to shut down the accounts of her Brony stalkers.

And this is why Bronies could climb for a hundred years and not even reach the boots of the most self-absorbed and self-righteous hippie. At least hippies ostentatiously want to make the world better.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ruby got Railed posted:

835 channels and that's the only you can find

right

"Sorry girls, you can't watch your favorite show because of Internet manchildren." That's what you want me to say.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

And this is why Bronies could climb for a hundred years and not even reach the boots of the most self-absorbed and self-righteous hippie. At least hippies ostentatiously want to make the world better.

and they didn't make a children's show their identity. I bet there were some people who like Mr. Rodgers. But they were adult enough to watch it, not make it their life

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Pththya-lyi posted:

"Sorry girls, you can't watch your favorite show because of Internet manchildren." That's what you want me to say.

Does the target audience of the show actually like it? I dont know any kids or people with kids so im kinda detached from all this crap.

Is the whole brand just being held up by bronies?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

slam a broadcast rip of Jojos Bizarre Adventure into the dvd player while screaming GBS BITCH

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

psyopmonkey posted:

Does the target audience of the show actually like it? I dont know any kids or people with kids so im kinda detached from all this crap.

I know a 9 year old girl. Should I ask her if she likes MLP?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So after years of mocking bronies I decided to look at an episode of mlp online to see what it was that they saw in it.

and now im a brony :buddy:

lol no. It was a boring badly animated show for small boring children and all I gained from it is a deeper distaste for the weird "adults" who enjoy it

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Pedo and pony loving aside, bronies also have zero concept of 'no one but other bronies like MLP poo poo'. They inject pony bullshit and pony reaction gifs into everyday, normal conversation and then are SHOCKED when all of us are loving annoyed.

Know your goddamned audience!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

psyopmonkey posted:

My 5 year old daughter is indifferent. She'll watch MLP just as easily as any other poo poo on netflix. Except with MLP I cringe a little because of all the pedophiles that watch.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Professor of Cats posted:

Pedo and pony loving aside, bronies also have zero concept of 'no one but other bronies like MLP poo poo'. They inject pony bullshit and pony reaction gifs into everyday, normal conversation and then are SHOCKED when all of us are loving annoyed.

Know your goddamned audience!

Sounds a lot like another group of people who constantly poo poo up normal threads in GBS.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This will be in my nightmares. thanks, pentyne

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

psyopmonkey posted:

According to Nielsen, the 2-5 and 6-11 demographics make up the majority of MLP watchers. Most bronies watch the show online, though, so they could be the real majority. I do know that the girls I babysit love the show and the toys.

What's crazy is the number of bronies I've seen that believe the show caters primarily to them and not the demographics it was designed for. (News flash: it doesn't.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Frankenstyle posted:

Darkon is a good one about larpers, with a twist. It's actually made by larpers to show how awesome they are, but they couldn't pull it off so you keep seeing trough the cracks into how they're deeply sad people who ignore their kids and let 'em go hungry so they can afford new nerf bats and poo poo.

i have a bunch of friends who recently got into larping. they started out as all 'haha, we're better than all these other nerds, let's smack them with foam bats' and now they go away for LARP weekends and have gross nerd orgies and talk about nothing else and literally do nothing else. and, yeah, if they had kids, i bet they'd do that. thing is, these were generally well-adjusted guys until they started it.

Panfilo posted:

Ok so maybe I'm getting old but I'm still shaking my head and trying to understand what the gently caress is up with Bronies:

-There were other female-centric cartoons before MLP that nerds didn't pop some huge boner over. And yes social media was around at the time (I didn't see some huge following of PowerPuff girls by neckbeards on LiveJournal)

-There are other current female centric cartoons that nerds don't obsess with as much as MLP (Kimpossible, for example, which I'm kind of surprised hasn't enraptured the neckbeard species more than ponies have)

-There are other cartoons IN GENERAL that neckbeards aren't as obssesed over. Adventure Time is a pretty funny cartoon, but to my knowlege there isn't some huge fandom behind it like there is My Little Pony. Which is weird, since it really captures that D&D aspect.

-Somehow Hasbro has hit all the autistic buttons on their show and I don't understand how because I'm a functional 33 year old adult that doesn't understand why other manchildren are so obsessed with ponies.

if you're going to sexually fantasise about something while being absolutely terrified of sexual contact, little cartoon horses are the safest outlet because it can never actually happen and, therefore, always remain a safe fantasy space. all those other female-centric cartoons had human characters.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Milky Moor posted:

if you're going to sexually fantasise about something while being absolutely terrified of sexual contact, little cartoon horses are the safest outlet because it can never actually happen and, therefore, always remain a safe fantasy space. all those other female-centric cartoons had human characters.

Im going to take the Christian response on this topic.

"NOOOOE! THATS ICKY! STOP THAT!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Panfilo posted:

-There are other cartoons IN GENERAL that neckbeards aren't as obssesed over. Adventure Time is a pretty funny cartoon, but to my knowlege there isn't some huge fandom behind it like there is My Little Pony. Which is weird, since it really captures that D&D aspect.

How cheap is the rent for the rock you're living under?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

psyopmonkey posted:

Im going to take the Christian response on this topic.

"NOOOOE! THATS ICKY! STOP THAT!"

it's pretty much true though. i personally think there's probably a deeper issue about alienated young men who can't live up to the masculine ideal (because they're fat, awkward, whatever) and are also scared of intimacy and female contact. however, they desire all of those things and this leads to them sexualising cartoon horses of nebulous age (because men have sex!) and trying to go on about how it's mature (because you can't be a man if you like childish things!)

i'd also say that shows like powerpuff girls and my life as a teenage robot never took off like this because the internet wasn't as entrenched as it is today. also that, in the case of those shows, the female protagonists were prepared to be their own person, didn't really date, weren't too romantic and were clearly independent fictional people.

the fact that mlp can be appropriated into things like 'fallout equestria' is also probably a big factor in why bronies exist. if you work violence and swearing into mlp, that's fairly novel. violence and swearing and edgy subject matter already kind of exists in adventure time. it can't be as obviously appropriated - which is what bronies exist to do.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Milky Moor posted:

it's pretty much true though. i personally think there's probably a deeper issue about alienated young men who can't live up to the masculine ideal (because they're fat, awkward, whatever) and are also scared of intimacy and female contact. however, they desire all of those things and this leads to them sexualising cartoon horses of nebulous age (because men have sex!) and trying to go on about how it's mature (because you can't be a man if you like childish things!)

i'd also say that shows like powerpuff girls and my life as a teenage robot never took off like this because the internet wasn't as entrenched as it is today. also that, in the case of those shows, the female protagonists were prepared to be their own person, didn't really date, weren't too romantic and were clearly independent fictional people.

the fact that mlp can be appropriated into things like 'fallout equestria' is also probably a big factor in why bronies exist. if you work violence and swearing into mlp, that's fairly novel. violence and swearing and edgy subject matter already kind of exists in adventure time. it can't be as obviously appropriated - which is what bronies exist to do.

Jesus loving christ dude... :gonk:

Leaving the fat weirdo virgin poopsockers to their own devices is a horrible idea. Its a perfect example of "slippery slope".

First its weirdo cartoon poo poo and next its something much worse. I think its a group that could easily turn into predators.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

there are bad, hosed up people in the world, who can't really be explained / whose existence can't really be explained. pedophiles, like people who torture animals for fun, are among those people. there is no reason for people to be hosed up, that's just how things are. as for why bronies are a thing and powerpuff-bros or whatever weren't well yeah duh the internet exists now and it didn't really in 2002.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

there are bad, hosed up people in the world, who can't really be explained / whose existence can't really be explained. pedophiles, like people who torture animals for fun, are among those people. there is no reason for people to be hosed up, that's just how things are. as for why bronies are a thing and powerpuff-bros or whatever weren't well yeah duh the internet exists now and it didn't really in 2002.

i can't help it. i should've gone into criminal psychology or something because this poo poo fascinates me like you wouldn't believe. it's like a thousand different variables were just in the right place at the moment to spawn the brony subculture.

there has to be an explanation.

psyopmonkey posted:

Jesus loving christ dude... :gonk:

Leaving the fat weirdo virgin poopsockers to their own devices is a horrible idea. Its a perfect example of "slippery slope".

First its weirdo cartoon poo poo and next its something much worse. I think its a group that could easily turn into predators.

:tenbux: says that police deparments will replace 'star trek' with 'my little pony' as far as strange correlations go.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why do hosed up people do dumb poo poo. i dont know so it must be impossible to unravel cause and effect. blee blee bloo im a dumb loving goon it just cant be explained

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

quakster posted:

why do hosed up people do dumb poo poo. i dont know so it must be impossible to unravel cause and effect. blee blee bloo im a dumb loving goon it just cant be explained

Did you just answer a question nobody asked you dumb loving goon

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I couldn't find the image and I have no idea what it looks like, so please accept this dramatic reenactment of events:

quote:

Her job requires her to interview a lot of voice actors and she often winds up befriending them. I think the story was that she reblogged a picture of a pony with its head on a skewer from on the her VA friends. It was attributed to her by Bronies, who started spamming her with death threats and poo poo. Then when she was chatting up said VA at a con, she excused herself to the bathroom and was promptly sucker-punched by a man in a Rainbow Dash wig. As far as I know, she still has to get admins on her social media sites to shut down the accounts of her Brony stalkers.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

quakster posted:

it's you. you're the dumb loving goon

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

Das Boo posted:

I couldn't find the image and I have no idea what it looks like, so please accept this dramatic reenactment of events:

there's no way a brony is getting that kind of air

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Budohead posted:

there's no way a brony is getting that kind of air

He carries a step stool with him to utilize his greatest weapon: Gravity.
So he's like, got one of those ton weights drawn on his rear end.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A grad student I knew a couple years ago was really into MLP. When I went into his office his shelves were full of magical girl rayearth DVDs and other little girl animes. He now teaches in Japan.

Based on a sample size of 1, I think MLP appeals to the same sort of person as little girl animes, except it's in english and when it first started didn't already have a strong internet stigma built up. Of course bronies quickly built a much stronger stigma but by then it was too late.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think MLP appeals to the same sort of person as little girl animes

this is what i've been loving saying. kill anime-likers as well.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i haven't seen it for a while now, but i've always sort of liked spongebob. it probably had a lot to do with excessive marijuana consumption, though. are there, i don't know, spongies or something?

i've only masturbated to it a few times though so i don't think that counts

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I found the pony beheading:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/bf2eHgV.png:nws:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

for fucks sake

i see this guy on the bus and walking past sometimes and he's pretty big and he has long hair and a neckbeard and on his backpack he has a My Little Pony hanging from it like a keychain or something

is he a brony, do you think?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Ok so maybe I'm getting old but I'm still shaking my head and trying to understand what the gently caress is up with Bronies:

-There were other female-centric cartoons before MLP that nerds didn't pop some huge boner over. And yes social media was around at the time (I didn't see some huge following of PowerPuff girls by neckbeards on LiveJournal)

-There are other current female centric cartoons that nerds don't obsess with as much as MLP (Kimpossible, for example, which I'm kind of surprised hasn't enraptured the neckbeard species more than ponies have)

-Somehow Hasbro has hit all the autistic buttons on their show and I don't understand how because I'm a functional 33 year old adult that doesn't understand why other manchildren are so obsessed with ponies.

Also, MLP has existed since the 1980s, but it wasn't until this specific new iteration that suddenly legions of adult men are obsessed with it. It's mostly due to the prevalence of the internet as a rallying point for like minded fans and the obsession with sexualizing cartoon characters. Given its a cartoon show with an all female cast (more or less) and the ponies are now more anthropomorphized then their previous shows it was inevitable that the internet would get a hold of it and turn it into something weird.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
No, bronies aren't special or new.
Every five years or so there's a new 'counter culture' of grown men who love a kiddy show and make porn of it and act like it's the first time this has ever been done before.
What was the last one? Lucky star? Lazy town? Ichigo mashimaro? and before that Cardcaptor Sakura, it goes on and on...
All the way back to the days when Tiny Toons was whispered around newsgroups as the example of how fans should keep a low profile now that show creators can go online as see who's watching their show and what they're 'getting' from watching it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tiny+toon+adventure&defid=796584
http://unpromisedone.blogspot.fr/2012/11/meet-dennis-quozl-falk-man-who-got-tiny.html

Bronies are just the latest iteration of pedophilic manchildren to latch on to a 'girls' show, corrupt it, revel in the taboo then call themselves victims of bullying.

Humbert Humbert has a boo boo because people ~just don't understand~ his love of nymphettes and his purity of heart. He is a poet, merely expressing his soul. How dare people condemn him.

See you in five years with whatever new cartoon the next gen latch on to.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think lazytown had a similar following

remember? yikes

e;fb

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
powerpuff girls and teenage robot were good shows

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have a Twilight Sparkle window sticker on the back window of my car.
you suck

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
When I was a kid I watched Heavy Metal the movie and I thought it would be so loving cool to be that robot who does all that coke and gets to bone that hot naked chick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

big duck equals goose posted:

When I was a kid I watched Heavy Metal the movie and I thought it would be so loving cool to be that robot who does all that coke and gets to bone that hot naked chick.

Even us chicks wanted to go to the awesome boob planet.
....but we're talking about cartoons as a medium for adult tales that it's OK to enjoy like Ghost in the shell, Akira or early South Park not toons/shows tailor-made for little girls that so-called adults fetishize and talk about non stop. There's a big difference.

edited to add:
Brony meth cooking kiddy rapist who assigns great meaning to squiggles in True detective

• Locked thread