Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do YOU really hate SomethingAwful?
furries
second life
bitcoin
goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

quote:

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

ive had similar thoughts op

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Couldn't agree more

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
This is the same exact thread. It even has the same title as the old one.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
source yr quotes

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
this SA guy sounds like someone i would vote for

SA for pres 2043

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

im gay's'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lmao if you're not a racist jingoistic luddite fundamentalist get out

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
guys i can't find any Goku-Bitcoin fanart

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

is this a glitch in the matrix? ive been here before, im sure

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Sega Saturn posted:

source yr quotes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122055.0

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
op you sound like a bitch

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQSbWvhTAU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Who wrote that garbage? name and shame.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

SA is just a collection of people who like to point out that there are bigger losers than them. specifically the imaginative and wonderful souls described in the op

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

thx

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

rcman50166 posted:

This is the same exact thread. It even has the same title as the old one.

please stay out of threads i post and threads i don't post

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

BeefThief posted:

SA is just a collection of people who like to point out that there are bigger losers than them. specifically the imaginative and wonderful souls described in the op

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HQb0tg1Kk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

*briefly stops pondering meaningless existence to read mock thread*

ha ha ha at least i'm not this guy

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

Lethn:
Yeah, one of the first things I found when looking at Bitcoin was a thread by the SomethingAwful community attacking it, I don't really pay attention to those kind of people because their arguments are usually either flawed/incorrect statements/outright bullshit, people like this take advantage of the way that technology works to attack others without getting any response back. It's a bit like when you have youtube video posters who say something completely outrageous and stupid but disable the comments because they know they'll get called out on their bullshit.

I wouldn't bother to get all angry about it, I used to think there was something off about people who drew that sort of stuff but I'm honestly a lot more open minded now lol it's peoples choice whether they want to do that sort of thing and if you have people dumb enough to actually go out there, search for it and then rant about it that's just there problem and no one else. If it's any comfort to you one thing I've learned about douchebags like SomethingAwful is that they always hang out in their own little club, you'll never see them make any other friends because they can't so they stick together and pick on smaller groups or single people to inflate their egos, everyone will always hate people like that.

I dream of a day when I can block an entire I.P address from my browser so I never have to stumble on that kind of bullshit from a person again.

logansryche:
Quote from: Lethn on November 02, 2012, 02:42:05 PM

Yeah, one of the first things I found when looking at Bitcoin was a thread by the SomethingAwful community attacking it, I don't really pay attention to those kind of people because their arguments are usually either flawed/incorrect statements/outright bullshit, people like this take advantage of the way that technology works to attack others without getting any response back. It's a bit like when you have youtube video posters who say something completely outrageous and stupid but disable the comments because they know they'll get called out on their bullshit.

I wouldn't bother to get all angry about it, I used to think there was something off about people who drew that sort of stuff but I'm honestly a lot more open minded now lol it's peoples choice whether they want to do that sort of thing and if you have people dumb enough to actually go out there, search for it and then rant about it that's just there problem and no one else. If it's any comfort to you one thing I've learned about douchebags like SomethingAwful is that they always hang out in their own little club, you'll never see them make any other friends because they can't so they stick together and pick on smaller groups or single people to inflate their egos, everyone will always hate people like that.

I dream of a day when I can block an entire I.P address from my browser so I never have to stumble on that kind of bullshit from a person again.

something about misery loves comany...

dank:
It's a community of egomaniacs.

Fluttershy:
Sounds like the name fits the site. I heard you can't even talk about ponies there.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Waroduce posted:

dank:
It's a community of egomaniacs.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I really should have known it was bitcoiners bitching up a storm

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
user n*ggerstomper88 has been permabanned

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
lmao bitcoin more like bitchcoin

right?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
hosed up if true

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I am not ignoarant what a bitch

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I was kinda hesitantly stroking my chin and nodding until I got to the word bitcoin

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Straker posted:

I was kinda hesitantly stroking my chin and nodding until I got to the word bitcoin

which of the three points in there is probably the least embarrassing

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
pony talk embargo infringin on my rights to free speach

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

bitcoin???? more like it's BItchcoin lol@@@

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

every time i leave my apzrtment people rape and kill me it really sucks to be a woman

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

every time i leave my apzrtment people rape and kill me it really sucks to be a woman
you must have the worst kd ratio ever

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

this is why i choose to have the genetic makeup that allows me to rape and kill with ease

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

(nods sagely)

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

the white mans burden

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
the metric system is overrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU