Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

paranoid randroid posted:

dudes are paying ten billion dollars for tech companies with one employee and no products. the bottom is going to drop out of this poo poo so hard.

good, then if you still have a job you buy cheap rear end stock in companies that will stick around through the recession. my boss bought a shitload of cheap ford stock in 2008 and he's feeling pretty smug about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

dudes are paying ten billion dollars for tech companies with one employee and no products. the bottom is going to drop out of this poo poo so hard.

:agreed:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah if you are looking to invest for retirement, don't try to be a STOCK WHIZZARD and pick individual stocks

go for index funds

your broker will try to woo you with TARGETED RETIREMENT FUNDS that are all "if you are going to retire in 2065 pick this fund" but those funds have huge fees

stick to an index fund, they have the lowest fees of anything because they are managed by computers :awesomelon:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah if you are looking to invest for retirement, don't try to be a STOCK WHIZZARD and pick individual stocks

go for index funds

your broker will try to woo you with TARGETED RETIREMENT FUNDS that are all "if you are going to retire in 2065 pick this fund" but those funds have huge fees

stick to an index fund, they have the lowest fees of anything because they are managed by computers :awesomelon:

i like etfs

what do you think about etfs

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A misanthrope posted:

i like etfs

what do you think about etfs

they's good poo poo :thumbsup:

that is what I have most of my :supaburn: HIGH RISK :supaburn: in

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

they's good poo poo :thumbsup:

that is what I have most of my :supaburn: HIGH RISK :supaburn: in

cool

i'm checking out index funds tomorrow thnks for the tip :hf:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I've got like 15 bucks to spare this week, point me to the money making machine please tia

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

according to my broker, the average expense ratio of all their funds in 2013 was 0.19%

my eft's expense ratio is 0.05% :gowron:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

seriouspost, this is true and it's going to be awesome "butbut my DISURPTIVE TECHNOLOGY!". companies like google and apple will be fine since they actually produce a lot of hardware and technology that isn't just illusive "advertising delivery".

you know financial retards have no idea what the gently caress they're doing when WHATSAPP is "worth $19 billion" and Twitter is worth $30 billion, but they're still hemorrhaging money (and have been since day 1) and banking on "marketing/advertisement" to eventually carry them but it's not going to happen. if it was any other industry, that poo poo would have been out of business by now.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 18, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

this is the point in the gbs thread where the shitposting gives way to the occasional smattering of unironic posting

poo poo I am doing the unironic posting

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Wait, are the financial tips Ironic? please let me know now, I have to make calls if so

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hot tip: invest in deez nuts

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
hot tip never buy something new unless you must. Even better buy nothing and don't care if you're eating 3 day old food in second hand clothes. even better if you have to wear a uniform then what you wear never matters cause it just gets covered up.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
wrap it the gently caress up roadailures

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Start a cut-rate financial advising service where you just tell everyone to invest in social media gimmick startups, you still won't have retirement savings but if you wind up less poor than everyone around you that's sorta like being rich.

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011
I know a kid from back home that dual majored in business and law at Notre Dame and graduated with honors.

He's broke, jobless, living with his parents, and constantly filing hardship forbearance on his loans.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Isn't the infrastructure of America like rated as poorly as a developing nation's.

Most of our poo poo was built in the fifties and we just paint it a lot.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

College Ruled posted:

I know a kid from back home that dual majored in business and law at Notre Dame and graduated with honors.

He's broke, jobless, living with his parents, and constantly filing hardship forbearance on his loans.

drat and notre dame's law school is one of the best

you sure he's not just a scrub?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

um excuse me its called a 401k maybe you should get one poor?

I have both a pension, like a legit old-fashioned bank pension, plus a 401k.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I don't have a pension and stopped contributing to my 401K because

a. I don't plan on living that long
b. Society will collapse before I'm 65
c. I'm poor

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

cool

i'm checking out index funds tomorrow thnks for the tip :hf:

vanguard is the most pro option due to the rock bottom expense ratios.

ETFs also have better tax efficiency than mutual funds.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

I have both a pension, like a legit old-fashioned bank pension, plus a 401k.

Everyone should have pockets of money somewhere, even under a couch if it's like a few dollars or something

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaart

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

etalian posted:

vanguard is the most pro option due to the rock bottom expense ratios.

ETFs also have better tax efficiency than mutual funds.

Very cool (for a nerd like me). I'm going to start off with the ETF version of the Vanguard total stock market fund (VTI).

loving .06% expense ratio

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Holy poo poo these are the realist of real posts I've ever made on SA. I'm kind of scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

A misanthrope posted:

Holy poo poo these are the realist of real posts I've ever made on SA. I'm kind of scared

You human being.

• Locked thread