Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

concerned mom posted:

We must cut down the tall trees. Anyone over 5'8" it's time for short people to take over

this but that and below

hitler was 5'8", manlets must answer for their crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
something awful could have a purge. everyone given mod powers for an hour, see how many people are left by the end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kombotron posted:

kill youre famil

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Juanito posted:

Running Man was an awesome book, the movie isnt

youre so loving stupid

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Juanito posted:

Running Man was an awesome book, the movie isnt

you're lucky it's not the purge or else you would taste the back of my hand for that

Butthead
May 31, 2011
If the Purge was real, I'd do all my hiring on Purge day because I'd be free to discriminate against old rear end people who can't figure out how to use electronics.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I'd also post a thread using the "ATTENTION" tag.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
So is this only common law property and personal crimes that now suddenly become legal? Or all actions prohibited by the criminal code? And if I perform an action that in itself is illegal, but requires subsequent enforcement, does the legality of the action thereby make it enforceable in a court of law?

Like can I forge and record deeds to every piece of property in my county and then have everyone evicted in the weeks to come? Because I'd do that.

Ugh. Such a dumb premise. This is why you would need the lawyers, to make sure this was clearly defined.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cult_hero posted:

So is this only common law property and personal crimes that now suddenly become legal? Or all actions prohibited by the criminal code? And if I perform an action that in itself is illegal, but requires subsequent enforcement, does the legality of the action thereby make it enforceable in a court of law?

Like can I forge and record deeds to every piece of property in my county and then have everyone evicted in the weeks to come? Because I'd do that.

Ugh. Such a dumb premise. This is why you would need the lawyers, to make sure this was clearly defined.

Yeah, it really seems like the purge would cause far more problems than it could possibly solve.

"In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can't be called. Hospitals suspend help. It's one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment."

Okay so the hospitals close their doors for 12 hours. But when they open there is going to be a huge glut of patients. Not just non-crime victims, but idiots that injured themselves.

The police and the criminal justice system will spend more time proving when certain crimes happened and whether or not the count as crimes then they could possibly save not needing to deal with crimes that clearly happened during the purge time.

The lost productivity just from having all business shut down for 12 hours and severely disrupted for most of a week would be huge. Plus all the workers killed or injured. This is terrible for the economy.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I would ignore the purge and just start mass murdering people and setting off bombs and fire and encourage others to do so, so it's easier to do all these things without getting caught.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
If The Purge was a real event we would be living in Africa and not better countries. Exercising violent and criminal impulses does not free anyone from their influence.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I mean that would be the natural conclusion to letting a bunch of angry armed mostly white people roam the streets killing poors and others who can't find adequate shelter anymore. If you're pretty sure you're going to be dead within the year why not blow something up out of spite? It's hard to get a gun but it's not hard to make a bomb. Children have done it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
At least it's less annoying and pointless than those Jigsaw murders.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Spacedad posted:

At least it's less annoying and pointless than those Jigsaw murders.

Jigsaw was a human being

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Solomonic posted:

you're lucky it's not the purge or else you would taste the back of my hand for that
man i'm gonna go to your house for the purge and throw books at your HEAD

heavy books.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

cult_hero posted:

I would think the office you would have bring those forged deeds to would be closed.
So making the forgery, not illegal.
Attempting to pass the forgery as real during normal business hours would probably not be legal.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kaytwo posted:

Did anyone go see it tonight?

I did. Thought it was pretty decent, and a thousand times better than the first, which isnt saying much. Most obvious 'kill the rich' message, more so than Elysium and Snowpiercer. The first half hour of the purge has a crucified banker.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

I did. Thought it was pretty decent, and a thousand times better than the first, which isnt saying much. Most obvious 'kill the rich' message, more so than Elysium and Snowpiercer. The first half hour of the purge has a crucified banker.

It also has the same tough guy merc from Captain America.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kaytwo posted:

Did anyone go see it tonight?

I seen it. The message I got from it is young white couples ruin everything. Actually all the main characters but hero guy was pretty insufferable.

[e] Also you kinda deserve what you get if you go out for anything on that day. Like, it isn't like last minute Christmas shopping why the gently caress would you be traveling around the time when anyone is free to do anything to you? Why would you go to work on that day?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I seen it. The message I got from it is young white couples ruin everything. Actually all the main characters but hero guy was pretty insufferable.

[e] Also you kinda deserve what you get if you go out for anything on that day. Like, it isn't like last minute Christmas shopping why the gently caress would you be traveling around the time when anyone is free to do anything to you? Why would you go to work on that day?

Taking the week off seems more practical, if anything you would need a few days to clean up all the bodies from your yard.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
i would jerk off all day

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I would probably go to work on purge day and just loving shoot every customer in the face

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

itd be really cool if the purge actually happened irl and instead of descending into murderous anarchy everyone in the us just used it as an excuse to smoke weed for a day.

they should just have weed purge day, everyone gets the day off and weed is legal for a day in every state.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Motherfucker posted:

I would probably go to work on purge day and just loving shoot every customer in the face

there is no purge day, it's purge night.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'd scold my retarded son for letting a black guy running down the street calling for help into my house. Then since he's black and there is no power to my house Id spend then next ten hours trying to find him in my giant loving house. Then when some 1% yacht owning teenagers knock on my door and over act the poo poo outta my security system Id fight them and kill most of them because my house is so big that I can have multiple gunfights without people figuring out where I was in the house. Then my neighborhood would save me but actually decide to kill me for a twist. Then my kinda hot wife would kill them and all is right in the world. Then I'd grab some popcorn from heaven and watch purges til the end of time with big J.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
i would walk around with a horse head mask and no pants and get really mad when the 24 hour diner is closed on purge night

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

etalian posted:

they should just have weed purge day, everyone gets the day off and weed is legal for a day in every state.

alternatively: move to a better state/out of the stateS

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

etalian posted:

this is 4/20 already in every area of the country worth living in

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I agree, it made no sense for Friday Night Lights Quarterback to wait until an hour before the Purge started to get groceries and deliver important news to their sister-in-law. The purge has been going on for almost a decade at this point, you can plan ahead a little bit.

I thought Grillo was the only one who had some relative depth and an actual character arc. He's the protagonist of a revenge film, but surrounded by buffoons from a slasher movie; conveniently tripping while running from killers, conveniently screeching when they're trying to sneak past killers. His 4 companions are dead weight most of the time.

The film also telegraphed the whole time that FNL QB or his wife were going to reconcile and one of them would die. In a post-Scream world, it's so frustrating to see filmmakers stick to the same silly cliches. But then again, the preceding trailers were for movies with a possessed doll and a possessed ouija board, so really, gently caress everything.

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I'd scold my retarded son for letting a black guy running down the street calling for help into my house. Then since he's black and there is no power to my house Id spend then next ten hours trying to find him in my giant loving house. Then when some 1% yacht owning teenagers knock on my door and over act the poo poo outta my security system Id fight them and kill most of them because my house is so big that I can have multiple gunfights without people figuring out where I was in the house. Then my neighborhood would save me but actually decide to kill me for a twist. Then my kinda hot wife would kill them and all is right in the world. Then I'd grab some popcorn from heaven and watch purges til the end of time with big J.

The first Purge was amazing in that every character is an unredeemable piece of poo poo. Ethan Hawke makes the worst possible decision every chance he gets.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 19, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

red19fire posted:

I agree, it made no sense for Friday Night Lights Quarterback to wait until an hour before the Purge started to get groceries and deliver important news to their sister-in-law. The purge has been going on for almost a decade at this point, you can plan ahead a little bit.

The Purge is good since it's basically a darwinian process for dumb attractive white people.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I'd go camping in the middle of nowhere w/ my pets and valuables. In other words it would b a normal family vacation 4 me

I might even find another Triassic reptile

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
no laws so I could go fossil hunting on public and private land. John Day Fossil Beds here I come!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

red19fire posted:

I thought Grillo was the only one who had some relative depth and an actual character arc. He's the protagonist of a revenge film, but surrounded by buffoons from a slasher movie; conveniently tripping while running from killers, conveniently screeching when they're trying to sneak past killers. His 4 companions are dead weight most of the time.

The film also telegraphed the whole time that FNL QB or his wife were going to reconcile and one of them would die. In a post-Scream world, it's so frustrating to see filmmakers stick to the same silly cliches. But then again, the preceding trailers were for movies with a possessed doll and a possessed ouija board, so really, gently caress everything.

My personal fav was how everybody was preaching to him about taking revenge and not killing while begging him to protect them by killing. Killing is bad except when it's to protect my dead weight rear end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the ending was cheesy as well

Handsome grillo gets saved by the guy he was planning to hunt down for a revenge killing

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's the purge all day every day if your poor enough right now if you think about it

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Where are these (poor?) gangbangers getting the funds to buy army cars with flamethrowers on top to burn homeless people?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrManiac posted:

Where are these (poor?) gangbangers getting the funds to buy army cars with flamethrowers on top to burn homeless people?

it's the cheesy plot twist

Basically the government and rich people use the purge as excuse to get rid of poor people

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
poo poo they do that anyway

:thejoke:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

David Copperfield posted:

poo poo they do that anyway

:thejoke:

yeah it's one of the ownage things about Brazil besides all the hot girls and caipirinha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DrManiac posted:

My personal fav was how everybody was preaching to him about taking revenge and not killing while begging him to protect them by killing. Killing is bad except when it's to protect my dead weight rear end.

Seriously. Don't murder the guy that drove drunk and killed your toddler and got away with it, but please kill the rich twats in night vision goggles hunting us in a Running Man-style arena while we hide uselessly behind potted plants.

etalian posted:

the ending was cheesy as well

Handsome grillo gets saved by the guy he was planning to hunt down for a revenge killing

You'd think they would make his savior one of the companions that's been dragging him down the whole time in order to finally redeem themselves and bring the 'necessity of killing' angle full circle.

• Locked thread