Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just finished Magicka 2's story mode and I feel like it's a bit of a downgrade compared to the original. I still had fun with it but there were some really frustrating bits.

-For some reason, they changed the keys that you use for area casting and enchanting your sword, which is really :psyduck: if you played the original a lot but what sucks is that you can't remap your keys at all so there's no fixing it for a more comfortable setup.

-You're also a LOT more brittle than in the first game, and I think the fact that you can revive your own fairy covers up some of the overbearing pressure most enemies will put on you. Running around with rock armor is essential, because it's common for any enemy with a weapon to otherwise just one-shot you. It's also really easy to get into a loop of being revived, quickly hammering out the revive spell for your fairy and then dying again because the enemies stick to you like glue. Normally you'd think "just use the frost spell, idiot" but it doesn't seem to work as well as you'd expect unless you're CONSTANTLY moving. You also can't soak enemies that are chilled, so you have to thaw them first, then wet, then chill in order to freeze them (assuming they aren't immune).

-I like that when you find most weapons, the game "unlocks" them so you can equip them as your default items at any time, but I think as a result there's a lot fewer stuff you can pick up off of enemies.

-There's no more electric steam beam, which isn't nearly as big of a deal as you'd think since fire's damage was buffed up a bunch and actually feels like a viable damage source now. Earth requires a lot more charge-up to be useful though, because the larger rocks are extremely heavy and they won't move more than one or two character widths in distance if you only channel it for a couple of seconds. There also seems to be fewer Magicks to play around with.

-The humor seems a bit hit and miss. There were a few things that I did like, but there's also some really tortured references that basically amount to "hey, remember this thing from years ago that isn't related to the game at all?".

-The camera feels zoomed out too far at all times.

-On the first day, Steam kept disconnecting on me which would instantly end my game. It's really dumb that you have to connect online in order to play in single player mode.

I tried one of the challenge modes, and the 20th wave took me nearly 20 minutes to do because the final encounter had 3 large fire demons with an incredibly strong fire damage aura that actually healed each other for much more than you could actually deal in damage, and because enemy AI is generally "home in on your direction at all times" they were constantly clumped up in a big red self-healing ball there was no feasible way to separate them. Eventually, one got a little confused on terrain and I was able to kill it, then 10 minutes later another one had the same issue. I can't imagine how that could have gotten through play-testing at all, because I'm confident the endless regeneration that only two demons gave each other far out-paced the strongest stuff I could put together, and this was still on the easiest difficulty setting where there were no gimmicks like increased enemy health or giving them natural regeneration.

I don't regret buying the game, but it still feels like it could have been done a lot better. It might be something you'd pick up when it goes on sale.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Magnus Praeda posted:

Probably. Didn't that happen with Dota at one point?

War Thunder had that happen with the main executable, too.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

False positives?

I'm not sure, but it didn't look good.
Ran a few checks, and it's quarantined those 2 files, so Steam won't open right now.
Going to wait for a bit to be sure something's not bad somewhere.

Edit - Guess it fixed itself in the background. Saw someone messaging me when I thought it was closed down.
Thing is I don't have it installed on my C drive, but the last pushed update seemed to install those 2 files into the common folder in my program files, then the antivirus flipped out.
That folder is empty now though after the quarantine. Maybe the common files folder is used for temp files when installing an update?

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 29, 2015

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I couldn't wait for Axiom Verge to go on sale. I'm about 4h in but loving it so far. The weapons/powerups are extremely inventive and the music is excellent. The art does a good job of looking super alien without being a total ripoff of Metroid, although the areas aren't always distinct and it could really use some kind of fast-travel system. Hopefully I'll get one later and hopefully it doesn't go to crap in the endgame.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

I couldn't wait for Axiom Verge to go on sale. I'm about 4h in but loving it so far. The weapons/powerups are extremely inventive and the music is excellent. The art does a good job of looking super alien without being a total ripoff of Metroid, although the areas aren't always distinct and it could really use some kind of fast-travel system. Hopefully I'll get one later and hopefully it doesn't go to crap in the endgame.

You don't get a fast-travel option, but there is a sort of central hub section (Indi) that connects most of the major areas to one another.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Sounds good enough, yay! Thanks.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Come and play Drawful/Fibbage for free: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

That was fun, should do it again!

My favorite one is the drawing one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh hey, this finally got greenlit. This version was developed by a guy who pops into the Retro FPS thread every now and then, who's been making a fancy modern Wolfenstein 3D source port.

The game itself is basically just family-friendly Wolf3D with the occasional Bible question to get a full-health restoration. If that sounds good to you for some reason, and you JUST CAN'T WAIT to stuff your fat face with more tile-based mazes (or you just want the source port dev to get a slightly bigger cut)you can grab it now from itch.io and get a Steam key later.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

The so-called Mark of the Ninja / Gunpoint mashup, Ronin, is up. Unfortunately, according to the reviews so far, the developers really haven't fixed a single goddamn thing from the demo, which was buggy and lovely. When I played the demo is routinely crashed half the loving time, while the mouse controls are finicky as poo poo. Sounds like none of those issues were fixed for release, shame.
Huh.
I was looking for it but they've launched it as an Early Access title instead so :shrug: Doesn't sound like a dump-and-run if he's EAing it (hopefully), doesn't mean it stuff that can't be fixed.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Drawful's over. Thanks for playing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Good news for anyone looking forward to Akiba's Trip's brother, Way of the Samurai 4. They released a beta patch today which fixed a ton of the glitches and crashes I'd seen throughout previous testing so it seems like it's finally getting close to release state.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Update your AMD drivers fools.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

witcher 3 is playable now?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Drawful's over. Thanks for playing.

That was a lot of fun. I may have been the only one who really enjoyed Word Spud or whatever it was called, but it was also the only game I won :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked word spud, and not just because I was already tipsy when we played! Word spud is good because even if you type something that makes no sense people will shrug and go yeah alright why not just because of the audacity of it all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orv posted:

So thousands of words just to come to the conclusion that you're a stupid idiot.
It's not as though I didn't back it up :)

The story of Revelations was so goddamn redundant and arbitrary. Ezio is off to find some more McGuffins in the holy land, because... why not do that, I guess... and they're locked behind a lock with seven keys, guarded by seven robot bosses. The keys are scattered around the world (that would have actually been interesting) all located in... (throws dart at the map)... Constantinople. Ezio arrives there to gather the keys, takes over the local Brotherhood without any conflict or personal investment, and fights the bad guys who are... Templars, I guess? They didn't exactly have a personality or a particular connection to the story / Ezio himself. It was literally "Assassins Creed: Some more Assassins Creed in a different place". At least 3 had more ambition than that.

And again, I broke down what I liked and what I did not like about the game in exhaustive detail. Feel free to explain what you found so terrible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

And again, I broke down what I liked and what I did not like about the game in exhaustive detail. Feel free to explain what you found so terrible.

It's just not worth it unless you're autistic or getting paid for your time. :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You guys are understating how mediocre Revelations is but that's okay, I am the ultimate arbiter and someday I will play 3 and give my final judgement

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Xander77 posted:

Feel free to explain what you found so terrible.

nobody cares

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Xander77 posted:

It's not as though I didn't back it up :)

The story of Revelations was so goddamn redundant and arbitrary. Ezio is off to find some more McGuffins in the holy land, because... why not do that, I guess... and they're locked behind a lock with seven keys, guarded by seven robot bosses. The keys are scattered around the world (that would have actually been interesting) all located in... (throws dart at the map)... Constantinople. Ezio arrives there to gather the keys, takes over the local Brotherhood without any conflict or personal investment, and fights the bad guys who are... Templars, I guess? They didn't exactly have a personality or a particular connection to the story / Ezio himself. It was literally "Assassins Creed: Some more Assassins Creed in a different place". At least 3 had more ambition than that.

I completely agree that Revelations was an unnecessary game in every way. AC 3 though. I didn't hate every aspect of the game but holy poo poo did I hate Connor and want him to get shot by Charles Lee and you play the rest of the game as Haytham. I'd have rather played an Achilles Davenport Hobbler's Creed spinoff than play as Connor any longer than I had to.

e: One more thing I will give 3 is it tried to paint the Templars as more sympathetic and less moustache twirling than the Ezio games did. Which means they apparently matured pretty quickly from the Black Flag days.

The overarching narrative of Assassin's Creed is a hot loving mess and I love it

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 29, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I bought modern warfare 2 on a lark and I forgot how much fun it was

Sucks with the lack of dedicated servers and the poor balance I guess but I don't really care it's a lot of fun and nostalgic to boot

Shame you can't use vac disables anymore though as there's a lot of fun in modded lobbies. Literally the second one I joined was a gun game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

You guys are understating how mediocre Revelations is but that's okay, I am the ultimate arbiter and someday I will play 3 and give my final judgement
Nobody has a problem with criticizing Revelations but with saying that AC3 was better and you keep posting about it despite not having played AC3. Yeah yeah, Revelations isn't the lord's second coming but that's not even close to the abortion that was Connor's story and running around empty landscapes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

So I bought modern warfare 2 on a lark and I forgot how much fun it was

Sucks with the lack of dedicated servers and the poor balance I guess but I don't really care it's a lot of fun and nostalgic to boot

Shame you can't use vac disables anymore though as there's a lot of fun in modded lobbies. Literally the second one I joined was a gun game

I figured modern warfare 2 would be long dead by now as it was emptying out by the time I stopped playing, which was roughly a year after it came out. It's been over 5 years hasn't it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FadedReality posted:

e: One more thing I will give 3 is it tried to paint the Templars as more sympathetic and less moustache twirling than the Ezio games did. Which means they apparently matured pretty quickly from the Black Flag days.

One of AC3s greatest sins is this exact thing. The Templars are cool, sympathetic if not necessarily more-than-one-dimensional characters, until you switch perspectives. Wherein in the course of eighteen years they all lose most of their hair, get fat/ugly and become nothing less than overt Disney villains. It's stupid as gently caress.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I liked your write-ups of that blandathon of a game Xander77. Interesting break from the usual 'Anime game is kinggod buy all anime game' and 'Are they serious about anime game?'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We were worried that players would be tired of climbing up famous old-world landmarks, so we set the next game in a bland colonial poo poo hole completely lacking in any memorable locations.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Revelations is really unnecessary plot-wise, the first-person puzzles are lame, and the only saving grace of the tower defence is that you can mostly ignore it.

On the other hand the bombs are fun for goofing around, the city is pretty (if a bit copy-pasted) and Ezio is still Ezio.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I figured modern warfare 2 would be long dead by now as it was emptying out by the time I stopped playing, which was roughly a year after it came out. It's been over 5 years hasn't it.

You'd think but there's like 800 players on the regular servers, not counting those on the various dedicated clients

Tons of hacking of course but it's fun so who cares. I haven't played since it came out on the 360, so yeah haven't played for five years either

Still better than ghosts though

800 people middle of the night on a weekday too

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Everyone hated 3 because we spent over three games getting Desmond ready to do assassin poo poo and he only has one mission where he does so. It was dumb.

Where were my Leaps of Faith into garbage bins ubisoft :argh:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No one gives a poo poo about Desmond. The whole future Desmond poo poo is the worst part of the entire franchise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The tower defense stuff in revelations was ignorable but doing so meant having to redo the buggy rear end captain assassinations after they capture your tower again. I rage quit the game after having to deal with some stupid teleporting dipshit captain who ran away by warping through a wall and after losing another fleeing captain because one of the many identical signs on the sides of buildings could not be grabbed onto, unlike all the others. Also they tinkered with the combat timings and everything to do with that was worse, and the story was forgettable. Revelations was purestrain garbage. gently caress that game. Although AC3 wasn't good, at least it was playable. Not ever gonna take back my opinion on AC3 being better.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Best part of 3 is the part where Desmond gets a pistol and you suddenly realize literally every piece of training he's done is now moot because he has a gun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It sucks that you got hosed by bugs in Rev but at the same time you got lucky with AC3 - it was by far a more buggy game as they retouched the engine and people had some awful experiences with it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also the crafting interface in AC3 was appalling.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The tower defense stuff in revelations was ignorable but doing so meant having to redo the buggy rear end captain assassinations after they capture your tower again. I rage quit the game after having to deal with some stupid teleporting dipshit captain who ran away by warping through a wall and after losing another fleeing captain because one of the many identical signs on the sides of buildings could not be grabbed onto, unlike all the others.
Once you finished the sidequests for each area commander you couldn't get attacked in that area.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palpek posted:

It sucks that you got hosed by bugs in Rev but at the same time you got lucky with AC3 - it was by far a more buggy game as they retouched the engine and people had some awful experiences with it.

What bugged me with Revelation (aside from being little more than Ezio Takes a Holiday) is you can see the setup for a much better ending one of the options they discussed was group-focus to stop the solar flare, but it got shot down because they'd need the entire planet focusing on it. Guess what letting the much-feared Templar Apple-carrying satellite (something part of the entire series from the get-go) do its thing would've achieved in a bit of irony :v:. You know, instead of just dropping everything for "push button, Desmond dies".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also the crafting interface in AC3 was appalling.
Very true. The trading interface as well (same thing, actually)

Ryaomon posted:

Best part of 3 is the part where Desmond gets a pistol and you suddenly realize literally every piece of training he's done is now moot because he has a gun.
Huh. I never even noticed that. And apparently you can't even replay Desmond's missions.

Edit:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

According to the lovely Uplay client, it says I haven't finished AC 3 when I actually did. But I lost my save ages ago and have no intention of reinstalling and replaying that game so gently caress it.
I completed the game, so I'm listed as having gotten 3 out of 4 reward actions, but I don't have the points associated with those rewards (and thus, no Ezio outfit)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 29, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can confirm that the combat in Phantom Breakers: Battle Grounds owns, I picked Yuzuha the knife specialist and it's fast, fluid and responsive. Also when you defeat enemies a billion coins and gems fly out of them and you can keep juggling them for more coins. This is important information.

Also the chiptune music is actually good which is a refreshing change of pace from the last 50 or so indie games I've played

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 29, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

According to the lovely Uplay client, it says I haven't finished AC 3 when I actually did. But I lost my save ages ago and have no intention of reinstalling and replaying that game so gently caress it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Which is it Gaben? Play or Buy?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The ending of Revelations was cool because Ezio meets Altair and it's a very nice fanservice moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palpek posted:

The ending of Revelations was cool because Ezio meets Altair and it's a very nice fanservice moment.

I did like Ezio turning out to have been smart enough to know Desmond's watching all along and declaring "gently caress off, I'm done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Infinitum posted:

Which is it Gaben? Play or Buy?!

Didn't know this was coming out. Is Bladestorm essentially a Dynasty Warriors version of the hundred years war?

• Locked thread