Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

So, word on the street is that an xbox.steampowered.com subdomain has been found.

This in advance of Microsoft's upcoming presentation on the 25th, and days after former Xbox exclusive Quantum Break was announced for PC.

If this means Scalebound comes to the PC I'm all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

So, word on the street is that an xbox.steampowered.com subdomain has been found.

This in advance of Microsoft's upcoming presentation on the 25th, and days after former Xbox exclusive Quantum Break was announced for PC.

If Gears is on Steam I can die happy.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

seems like a good business model

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sakurazuka posted:

The ending was super poo poo I thought, the only film that doesn't end with Max actually helping people is the first one but I guess it works as a lead in to Fury Road which I suppose is what they wanted.
Ending spoilers ahoy!
Yeah, I was waiting for Max to help out H&G and then skip town, and I could see Hope kicking it, but Glory and Chum were a kick in the balls and way darker than I expected.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Deakul posted:

Holy gently caress, this came out of no where.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/223330

A real live SEA DOGS SEQUEL!

I can't believe that we're finally getting age of pirates on steam.

Everyone, if you at all liked Sid Meier's pirates but wanted a little more depth (and maybe a bit more jank) then get this.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

e: And for Davey Jones' sake, don't link to Raven's Cry.
It's going to be difficult to link to it, as it's been removed from the Steam store once again.

This time apparently due to paid positive reviews.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Man, Sea Dogs was super good if you could handle the janky engine, and its Pirates of the Caribbean branded sequel was also really good. If this new one is at all good I'll definitely pick it up eventually.

:mario: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2016 :mario:

1. Cargo Commander
2. Freedom Planet
3. Capsized
4. Knytt Underground
5. Rochard
6. NightSky
7. Canyon Capers
8. Intrusion 2
9. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
10. Teslagrad
11. Tiny Barbarian DX
12. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

13. Snapshot

Platformers really need a unique hook to do well these days, and Snapshot certainly comes through on that front. Your little robot dude can take pictures of the world that save the items he snaps in them. He can then load the picture back into reality, rotating it to fit whatever the situation calls for. Pictures also capture motion, so if you snap a flying crate, it'll still be speeding through the air when you bring it back. Add in 120 levels to puzzle through, along with stars to collect and hidden objects to find, and you've got a quality mix, right?

You would, if the levels weren't designed by a sadist. Snapshot has one massive flaw, and it's the level design. Not five levels in, you'll start encountering death spikes that force you to start the whole level over. There are no lives and no checkpoints, so even on the larger sprawling levels, one misstep can cost you a lot of time. Worse than that, many of the puzzles in the game can be rendered impossible to solve, forcing a restart of the level. This is because many levels like to make you stack objects to scale tall walls or shafts, and then continue using those items later in the level. Of course, if you fall back down after moving your items to the top, there's no way to get them back. The very first level involving springs is very easy to ruin if you do any exploring whatsoever.

I want to say it's a shame, but honestly all Snapshot has going for it is the picture gimmick. The graphics are clean and cute but nothing special. There's no story to speak of, or if there is it's locked behind dozens of aggravating levels. Really, puzzle platformers come down to their level design, and if it's crap, nothing can save it. Surely there's already another platformer out there that uses the same or a similar system to greater effect. And even if there isn't, Snapshot certainly isn't worth braving just for that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

The Ship Remasted is out on Monday...

Oh! :dance:

quote:

early access.

Oh... :(

quote:

Devs on the discussions board have said theres not going to be anything different about the game other than graphics and 'minor mechanics' so I'm wondering why they're bothering putting it out when the Source version still gets players and works perfectly fine? :confused:

....Oh.... :smith:

Seriously. Why?

Mechanically, the source version still needed a lot of work.

Assassins Creed multiplayer (which the devs worked on, I think??) was the functional and spiritual sequel to The Ship that actually had mechanics that worked (well...it took until Revelations, but it worked).

The problem(s) I had with The Ship were many. The idea was good, the execution needed work. The prision mechanic was dumb and slowed down gameplay, some of the weapons were randomized but everyone just beelined the good ones that weren't and ended up getting a higher score regardless of the lack of variety, the mix of "secure" areas and public were silly too. Needs sounded good on paper, but bogged the game down in retrospect.

'Sassy creed made it so everyone had the same weapons, it was the quality of kill that got high scores (two good poison kills, very tricky, could take you from last to first place), making the gameplay more about blending with crowds and acting like AI (oh...and the whisper mechanic...so good) kept the gameplay moving without the silliness of needs. Basically, it was the same idea (heres a person to kill, there's someone trying to kill you) but executed in a comparitvely less complicated and "faster" paced way.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 13, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ending spoilers ahoy!
Yeah, I was waiting for Max to help out H&G and then skip town, and I could see Hope kicking it, but Glory and Chum were a kick in the balls and way darker than I expected.

It works almost perfectly as a lead-in to Fury Raod though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

During lunch one day, Toomi Yuna meets two "Kindred Spirits" on the roof of her school. When they insist she help them nurture young love, Yuna finds herself playing "yuri cupid" to six unique and adorable couples. Can she remain aloof or will the promise of a "yuritopia" reach her too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

During lunch one day, Toomi Yuna meets two "Kindred Spirits" on the roof of her school. When they insist she help them nurture young love, Yuna finds herself playing "yuri cupid" to six unique and adorable couples. Can she remain aloof or will the promise of a "yuritopia" reach her too?

its good

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

its good

Visual novels are bad, sorry.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
anime is good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nanomashoes posted:

you're worse

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Your posts do not count as visual novels, please do not abuse the terminology

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Freak Futanari posted:

Your posts do not count as visual novels, please do not abuse the terminology

Lol

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Nanomashoes posted:

Number of goons convinced by baseless shitpost: 0

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I kinda want to start a no-anime Steam thread because gently caress you guys talk a lot about your pedophile games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gilok posted:

I kinda want to start a no-anime Steam thread because gently caress you guys talk a lot about your pedophile games.

alright do it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Steam Thread For (In)sane People

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gilok posted:

Quoting this so you cant edit it out later cause lmao

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Nanomashoes posted:

:agreed:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Degenerate, foul, eastern "visual novel":

Strong, proud, western "actual novel":

An ugliness unfurled in the moonlight and soft shadow and suffused the whole world. If I were an amoeba, he thought, with an infinitesimal body, I could defeat ugliness. A man isn’t tiny or giant enough to defeat anything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nanomashoes posted:

Strong, proud, western "actual novel":

An ugliness unfurled in the moonlight and soft shadow and suffused the whole world. If I were an amoeba, he thought, with an infinitesimal body, I could defeat ugliness. A man isn’t tiny or giant enough to defeat anything.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

You would have made a much stronger point if your western example was aviary attorney.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nanomashoes posted:

hmm, might, but i would need to know if she eats worms first

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Why is her mouth on her cheek

edit: they even drew a bump on the side of the face where lips would be and were like "nah we're not gonna put the mouth there don't be silly"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
because it's a cartoon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Add in 120 levels to puzzle through, along with stars to collect and hidden objects to find, and you've got a quality mix, right?

You would, if the levels weren't designed by a sadist. Snapshot has one massive flaw, and it's the level design. Not five levels in, you'll start encountering death spikes that force you to start the whole level over. There are no lives and no checkpoints, so even on the larger sprawling levels, one misstep can cost you a lot of time. Worse than that, many of the puzzles in the game can be rendered impossible to solve, forcing a restart of the level.

I haven't been so excited and then instantly let down like this in a long time :smith: What a pretty little game with a really interesting gimmick. It's a shame to hear it suffers from bad level design (and bad game design in general apparently).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

edit: they even drew a bump on the side of the face where lips would be and were like "nah we're not gonna put the mouth there don't be silly"

Thats used in a lot of animation as a means of saving time on animating, similar to cartoon characters having only 4 fingers on each hand

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Deakul posted:

Holy gently caress, this came out of no where.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/223330

A real live SEA DOGS SEQUEL!
I somehow specifically remember a lot of those exact environments from the PotC "sequel."

I'm not sure what that means though. The fans fixed the game mostly with the Build mod but the whole official line of Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates is a confusing mess. I have a feeling that some fans got the rights or something and the new Sea Dogs is just a heavily modded version of a PotC/AoP/AoP2 mashup.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

it's just a way they decided to draw faces

there's nothing particularly egregious about doing it like that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's cjacobs, i'm pretty sure he was just poo poo-talking in good humor

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Got my steam controller, it's pretty neat if requiring a bit of configuring. For most of my games thus far a joystick camera on right pad and mouse like joystick on the gyro works well for aiming, like Splatoon.

Two comments:

1) Is the thing supposed to vibrate so much, on every action? When I had the gyro on "always on" it was just constantly buzzing

2) I am surprised to see autofire avaliable in the settings for the triggers, I thought that kind of stuff was not really allowed in shooters anymore

E. Anime is good

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 14, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Anime-smug

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Colonel posted:

it's just a way they decided to draw faces

there's nothing particularly egregious about doing it like that

You know who else is drawn like that?

My favorite anime character, he's probably my husbando

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

hmm, might, but i would need to know if she eats worms first

let's say she does, what would you say then?

the correct answer is would

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are you always supposed to be able to get three stars in levels in Highrise Heroes? It feels like the RNG can set it up so that that's not possible.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

if i had a dollar for every time a goon poo poo themselves whining about how much they hate anime i could be a house owner.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If I had an anime for every anime anime goon anime anime.

• Locked thread