Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I might have skimmed through the thread too quickly or just been blind, buuuuut…

…is there any way to trick Steam into downloading files for a game that isn't available on a given platform?

I'm doing a complete rebuild of my windows machine and I'm still waiting for parts to arrive, but in the meantime, I got an itch for all kinds of old iD games. As luck would have it, I have one of those “every iD game ever” packages, but as misfortune would have it, they're all dosbox or (best-case) some old windows builds… and I'm on OSX right now.

All I want is those sweet sweet .wads. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Humerus posted:

It's been a really long time since I was on OSX but isn't there a program like Wine? If so, download Steam through that and then you can download any game through Steam, through Wine.

There is. It's just an annoyingly slow and fiddly and cumbersome process — enough that I'd rather wait a while until I get windows up and running again. The hope was that I could just tell Steam to cough up the files irrespective of platform.

Impatience and laziness — it's hell of a combination. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's still no concrete genre title for diablo clones other than diablo clone and that's kind of weird. They're definitely action RPGs, while Amalur is also an action RPG, but in a completely different way.

The again, Diablo is just a roguelike…

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

As is Borderlands....

j/k, put down the torches.
It doesn't have the map randomisation, but other than that… sure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Should I feel bad I've never played Diablo 1/2/3?

Nah. Just to annoy someone, I'd even say that they get worse for every new version and the first one was… ok:ish.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

More leftovers I mean generous gift links:

Deus Ex: GOTY — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=CUTf3EUYzCYEeC8V
Deus Ex: Invisible war — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=fZTKpqSDf8wGeEvx
Deus Ex: Human Revolution — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=beRqpZcFYKTCY7HE

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=2bcP5h38eKVH3A3r
The Last Remnant — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UCwN7BnqPxsUVK52
Nosgoth Veteran Pack — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=edYUHUYFRDZZxqpc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it's playable, if you like action rpgs. you don't get a party or anything, it's just one dude against the world

one (mandatory) quest involves a brothel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wqqEnL8Fk

So it's basically a less competent The Witcher?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

iastudent posted:

Games Workshop's catalog is today's daily deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamesworkshopsale

On that note, lately I've been playing a lot of Talisman: Digital Edition when I just need something chill to do and it's pretty fun. I thought about snagging a couple copies for friends from the sale but according to Steam forums it has a lot of stability issues online.

The main problem with running Talisman with other players is that at that point, you're playing Talisman. Treating it as a very elaborate time-wasting queue-filler solitaire card game improves the game immensely.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PrinceRandom posted:

Talking about North Korea is making me miss Mercenaries 1.

Talking about Mercenaries 1 is making me miss Mercenaries 2 multiplayer. Poorly synched physics effects have never been so fun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Gee I wonder what's in the Top Sellers toda-

:catstare:

What.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

Epic trope, my man... ftw. :D

Well, hey. Sometimes you just have to make sure that the exact meaning of the word is properly conveyed. It's not my fault that they offer the best example. :cry:

The worst part is that, for that particular segment, it's not even entirely unreasonable pricing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

This is just stealing money from autistic people.

…and the archetypal dad. They still exist — they've just moved out of the basement/garage. :D

I mean, sure, they'er virtual items but compare those prices to the alternative… There's a market there to be tapped for sure.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 7, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

In related news (and hoping that I haven't been blind enough not to spot it being posted before), maybe gradiants and icons isn't where the Steam team should be spending their time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUfUc9fANc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Has she played any of Artifex's hidden object games? They're not bad if you're looking for puzzles.

…or Cerasus Media's HP Lovecraft games (also hidden object). Arguably, they're the games that most effectively translate the mood of the stories into game form.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Can you still start BG1 with a character, take him through Tales of the Sword Coast, import him into BG2 and then Throne of Baal? Cause that poo poo owned, even taking with you the various pantaloons.

…as a hilarious (but perhaps not entirely sensible) bonus, since both EEs run on the exact same engine, you can then take your ToB character and import it into BG1 and run through all games again. Some (but not all) unique abilities will be lost, but you'll have your entire stack of 9th level magic to nuke all those annoying fire-arrow kobolds with. The normal weapon immunity you gain at the end of BG2? It'll still be there…

In fact, the biggest problem with running BG2/ToB character in BG1 is the images and sound sets.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Tesla Effect is the definition of video game cheese. That said it is exactly like the old Tex Murphy games, that is to say its a 90's adventure game. Items hidden in really hard to find places, puzzle minigames, out-of-left-field item combinations, it has it all. It has a pretty generous hint system though so its never that hard to progress if you really need to.
Pretty much. It is one of the best FMV titles ever released, but that comes with the inherent caveat that it is an FMV title — it pushes all the buttons of the genre (and pushes them well), even the ones that modern games have long since discarded for various, often good, reasons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like I've played a few games now where the endgame felt like the people in the writers room threw up their hands and tossed a table over or something. Deus Ex had a pretty tremendously cheesy climax, but Deus Ex HR's final level almost felt like a different game entirely. Almost all the routes were gone too and you had to run down super linear corridors. I wonder how pacifists were able to finish.

There are enough sneaking options to get through, especially since, at that point, a pacifist run should have you equipped with all the avoidance mods you'll ever need.

If anything, I find it harder to do a psycho run since there are so many corners where survivors are hiding. But typhoon:ing both the Sarif and Taggart entourages after all the lip they've been giving you throughout the game makes up for it. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'm doing a DX:HR (DC) full-commentary play-through right now, trying to track down every last snippet. Going by what they say there, it almost seems like the ending is the smallest bit left on the cutting-room floor.

It's also interesting to hear the kinds of tricks they had picked up by the time they made Missing Link, which makes for a pretty weird swinging back and forth in the design solution complexity towards the end now that it has been incorporated into the main game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Drifter posted:

Everything is customer service. Those idie dev people don't realize that.

You can't sell a product and then complain about having to deal with customer service. Those costs should be taken into consideration and if the cost is too high then the business should change accordingly or stop begin a business. It's sad sometimes, but it's the case. I know if I bought something someone was selling and it didn't work, I'd be pissed. Enough to recommend others against that business and that product.

If they sold it with due diligence and explained the state/size of their company and would be working to fix bugs but that after a point if there were any further issues between a user and their product they'd offer a refund if a refund request was within a day of product purchase or something I'd be a lot more inclined to forgive them as a customer.

There's also another thing that can be rolled into that cost, which is the customer connection. Yes, the support might end up costing a bit more than the customer actually paid, but how much is the customer itself worth? Just because they're indie doesn't mean that customer costs and values don't apply to them — it just means that they often seem to not be familiar with the concept.

I remember hearing a very similar debate a year or two ago regarding the MacHeist bundles. Since the Mac community has a strong history of high-priced shareware, those bundles shook things up a lot. In the end, it seemed that the more savvy business simply took the bundles as a way to connect to new customers (to sell upgrades and related products) and recuperate some minor amount of money in the process, rather than look on them as actual sales. Granted, that's probably a lot easier in practice with utility software than with games, but the general principle should still be applicable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Nothing, according to that guy.

Then I feel fairly confident in saying that any business failure is that guy's fault.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

awesmoe posted:

If each game sold loses you money, then the customer has negative value

No, the license sale, in and of itself has negative value. The customer is still the most valuable thing you've acquired as part of the transaction. The whole point is that you're betting on that customer value to at least make up for the loss of the lowered license cost. If you can turn them into a long-term customer that keeps paying for upgrades or who branches out into other products or, hey who knows, who starts helping out on your forums to give free (to you) support to other customers, you've just earned a bucket of cash you would have missed out on by not underpricing that one license.

Basically, the lost license cost is the same kind of cost as buying PR. Sure, it'll cost you more than a glossy advert, but the hope is that the high-grade exposure to your product will create a correspondingly high stickiness.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

In Deus Ex: HR is there some sort of notes tab for relevant info? I got a door code from a bum and can't find it in my menus anywhere.

Most of that kind of stuff show up in your notes tab. However, you rarely have to go and look for it — any code that you've learned about will show up automatically when you are at the correct terminal/keypad. At most, when you pick up a pocket memory with a code on it, you have to go into the notes and actually read the entry to get the “passcode added” message (this is what tells you that it'll show up when you find the terminal).

e: Also, any time you pick up one of those, you should get the “press Tab to read” prompts, and be directed to the new note if you do so.

Granted, there are some codes that you discover rather than are told — passwords on post-its, the graffitied codes for Hengsha storage lockers and the like — and those won't show up, but they also always appear right next to the lock in question so there's no need to remember them. Everything else should trigger one of those messages and be remembered automatically, though.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 21, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah but if you look at purchasing power it's close to 9.50 or so iirc. It's impressive but less than you'd think.

That's why the Big Mac index is so much handier for looking at pricing than the actual currency exchange rates.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

koolkal posted:

“Someone mentioned in an earlier comment about our customers. Customers are numbers who increase income. Sorry, but we don't have customers. There are only two kinds of people in our indie developer lives: those who enjoy our game and those who don't, but are still respectful.”

:cripes:

Maybe it's time he learns the difference between “indie” and “wilful refusal of having a future in the business”.

Aaanyway, more Humble bundle leftovers:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Complete Pack: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=StATzGK8DrVksWsv
Terraria: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=bUyKCV8DDGepCa6X
King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Uvnby6sWnqXyRyZX

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

One Finger Death Punch is a totally awesome game and that bundle is a must buy at the 1$ tier.

It does a better job of making you feel like a badass than most AAA games that attempt to do the same thing, and it's super easy to just jump in for a quick 5 or 10 minute session, or get lost in for an hour or two.

And the credits are weird.

saucerman posted:

I want to recomment another game from the Humble bundle that hasn't been mentioned yet: Master Reboot.
It's a first person adventure telling a personal story with an amazing atmosphere that sucked me really into the game. Each of the levels that you access from a hub area has a different theme. Some levels have (relatively easy) puzzles, some are mostly walking, some are about finding items that trigger the next event, one levels is about hiding/running away, some have platforming. But overall, the game is more about experiencing the atmosphere and the visuals (it's a good game for taking pretty screenshots!) and finding photos, emails or other documents inside the level that give hints to what is going on.

It should be mentioned that some of the games in that bundle are… perhaps not deliberately bad, but have well-known issues, bugs, and production issues. The reason they're included anyway is because they're very interesting pieces of game design. Almost all of them are worth picking up, but don't expect quite the same clean experience as with most normal bundles.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wendell posted:

Does this guy speed up his voice so he sounds like a chipmunk or what?

I think he actually sounds like that. If you check some of their other videos, I seem to recall that he has the same voice even when he's doing something with the other members of the series.

saucerman posted:

I didn't have any issues with Master Reboot.
In the video you linked I don't know what he means by "gamey". It indeed has gameplay elements but should we be surprised by it?

Wasn't their quibble about Master Reboot more with the visual presentation? And that while the game is very neat in some ways, it lacks the polish you'd perhaps expect from a highly recommended game, simply because they're not making their recommendations based on polish but on matters related purely to game design.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

MGS2 is a pretty awful PC port, from what I remember.

E: As in, think of the sins that a port can commit, and they're probably there.

As an added bonus, think of all the sins an MGS game can commit, and they're definitely there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

You can now see your unredeemed humble keys at https://www.humblebundle.com/home (at the bottom) and Titanfall is free to play for 48 hours over at Origin.

That's neat, but it seems to be a bit inaccurate for older purchases. I had a frighteningly long list of keys, but they've actually all been used (with two exceptions). I can't tell if it's because they've provided the keys through other means or because they were claimed so long ago that they didn't have the “claim on steam” button yet.

The only thing left when that was cleared up was my two Carmageddon gift keys: https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=NUC244camGnuancR and https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=zmxucxpZRUFr7dtK — they should unlock (along with some bonus content) if/when they ever finish that silly thing. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

More unlocks? That means more dupes and left-overs:

Legend of Grimrock — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aRHWDM7UCvdmqR6P
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UdbGkbPRmRbrZeGM
PixelJunk Eden — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T5ReV8Um4E2Erz2K

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Wow, just for shits and giggles I checked out the page for the CoD franchise sale.
To sum it up: that's the cancer of gaming, right there.

Just look at it and scroll down. All the way down to hell.

Yes, but just look at those prices they're … oh. Not even half off on a decade old game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Borderlands kinda took the worst parts of its two genres. FPSes are supposed to make you feel like a badass by sniping dudes and having crazy gun battles, but you end up dumping clip after clip into one mook as you kite him around a room. ARPGs are supposed to make you feel like a badass by letting you gear up and slaughter whole rooms of enemies effortlessly, but you need top-end gear just to keep fights from dragging on forever.

Enemies in Borderlands should have had half as much health, and there should have been twice as many of them. :colbert:
I don't know. I think that Borderlands (1) managed to do that pretty well. Sure, some of the arena fights in multiplayer, when all you got was wave after wave of badasses, could be a bit silly as far as the clip dumping goes, but those were also almost completely irrelevant to everything.

Or are you saying that this only applies to BL2?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Humble Bundle Weekly

[…]

Aka the "You should already own all these games" Bundle
But I do. Now what do I spend my money on. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Yeeeeeaaahhhhh nnnnooooooooooo.

Mgs v is likely being built in such a way that porting it will be easy. The older ones will likely require a lot more effort that they probably won't bother with. Then again, they do have the PC version of mgs2 you can play! :v:

…for very generous interpretations of “PC version”, “can”, and “play”.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

So… System Shock 2 then: Z6AJK-FLECF-6R7IC

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Technetium posted:

Apparently Humble is running an end of summer sale starting today and running for two weeks. As a bonus they're giving away Warlock: Master of the Arcane for free as well. They have The Swapper for $3, Gone Home for $8, Wolf Among Us for $10 and a bunch of others on sale today.

…and Psychonauts for €0.74. There is literally no reason whatsoever to not get this game if you don't have it before (and if you don't already, what's wrong with you?!)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, that's pretty much an insta-buy. And as always…

Papers Please — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=KTyHwnUpuVKsXWeN
LUFTRAUSERS — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uHADhsy7sf6yfw3V
Hammerwatch — https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=hWvFWERfm2YfCGDB

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Humble Store deals today

…also, Just Cause 2 — the game that simply refuses to end — for €3.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's kind of weird how many hoops you have to jump through (relatively speaking) to get a DS3 to run with Windows. I suppose it's a Microsoft thing. OSX just readily accepts it as an optionally bluetooth-connected HID-compliant game device and doesn't even blink. I don't quite see why Windows doesn't do the same. :raise:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Drifter posted:

And unrelated, everyone's saying Wasteland 2 will be 33GB. That fuckin' blows my mind. It's almost offensive.

The (relative) good news is that, according to the devs in the Wasteland thread, that's just how much Steam needs to reserve for the install. That includes both the download size and the final install size — the former is just over 10GB, the latter ~20GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Wasteland 2 is out. So here's an extra key: EVPN3-I2HXF-A8XRF vvv insta-grabbed.

I take no responsibility if you look out the window and realise it's Tuesday.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 19, 2014

• Locked thread