Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I was pretty enamored with Jade Empire when it first launched. Something about it's mood and tone - an entire country stuck in a listless melancholy, almost like they are waiting for the world to end - was very interesting at the time. You go to some cool places and meet some interesting people, but mechanically it is a complete bore. Open palm and closed fist is a bad morality system that lead straight into the paragon and renegade Mass Effect dichotomy. At least in Mass Effect you can be an interesting rear end in a top hat, Jade Empire just makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Also I shelled out like 10 bucks more to play with a sword at launch which totally wasn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Isn't Sagacious Zu from Jade Empire?

Haha yes, he's thinking of the racist caricature Covetous Shen.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

The order you listed the titles in is a pretty accurate barometer for quality. Arkham is great, dead space is a lot of fun, Alice is fun but drags, Absolution is great outside of quite a recurring annoyances, PoP is boring, Armageddon is bad, XCOM is pee pee doo doo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Kanfy posted:

As a Finn I legit didn't even realize bandwidth caps were a real thing until a few years ago, although they probably exist somewhere here as well.

It seems like such a dumb system, I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end that would be if you download anything at all with any regularity.

Dumb system? When you have a monopoly it's an incredible revenue stream.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Jesus christ, no kidding. "I actually clapped." It reads like a particularly bad tumblr post. Fuuuuck I hope that guy doesn't get paid for that poo poo.

Are you kidding? "To kick your rear end" is the dumbest, kick rear end and chew bubble gum line I've heard in a game in years. I'd clap too for the sheer stupid audacity.

Edit: It's as ridiculous as "Nah," from the end of System Shock 2.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Orv posted:

Friendly reminder that you want the Reincarnation version of Disciples 3 and it's not on sale.

I bought Disciples III reincarnation on the last sale and uninstalled it in half an hour. It has, without doubt, the worst UI I've ever seen in my life. It looks like complete dog poo poo.

Imagine the Warcraft II interface but with 50% more arbitrary, pixilated icons and bullshit around the entire screen. That is the disciples III interface.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Orv posted:

I mean what you really want is Disciples 2 Gold, but if you've gotta have 3... :shrug:

I have disciples II :). On steam and GoG, actually. Both are unplayable :(

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Finished Deus Ex Human Revolution. It was pretty good and satisfyingly long but the endings were kinda.. uh.. low effort

Yeah, I think everyone was expecting the ending to have a little more gravity. At least the journey is fun as hell.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Well Frictional Games let The Chinese Room try to make an Amnesia game. It's got a lot of nice visuals but the developer doesn't have the experience for an Amnesia-type horror game. They're great at atmosphere but when it comes to player interaction they miss the mark. Amusingly if they read Frictional Games' blog on horror game design they'd have avoided a fair amount of the problems. It's strange that both small dev teams got together like they did, and how the game was initially marketed but it's unique in it's own little way.

Look forward to SOMA in 2015 if you want to see Frictional Games' stuff rather than outsourced devs putting their own twist on the style.

Actually, if you read the Gamasutra postmortem it's pretty clear that, while TheChineseRoom weren't the most experienced developers for this type of horror, Frictional totally hosed them over near launch and created a lot of the problems people complain about. The blue fog was a miscommunication, encounter design was completely reworked at the last minute, and TheChineseRoom lost all creative control of their product at a time when they should have been finalizing their vision. It sucks that frictional is still seen as a darling developer despite this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/218372/postmortem_the_chinese_rooms_.php

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Drifter posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress?!? Walking Dead Season 2 only recognizes part of one of my season 1 savegames...and up to a completed episode 3.

Telltale Games, you're so dumb with your save game stuff.

Not only is their save system dumb, but it results in massive files. The save folder for The Wolf Among us is like 5 GB.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

My save folder for the Wolf among us is 3 megs. The Walking Dead season 2 save folder is 8 megs. I think something's busted with your saves.

Do you have the steam version or the one out of the Telltale store? The one from their store backs up the save system by physically copying the entire install directory into your user folder. I only have one episode of TWD:S2 downloaded but I have two 1 GB folders with the exact same content in two places. The Wolf Among Us did the same thing when I had it installed.

It's great!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

"The human mouth is a tapestry of horrors," mumbled the army of Hunter S. Thompson clones.

Jazzpunk is great

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Still loving the hell out of Blacklist but wow, 10 crashes in an hour of gameplay is not good Ubisoft! Fortunately checkpoints are frequent. Definitely won't be replaying the game because of this though.

I dunno man, I didn't have the game crash a single time on me when I beat it in April. Although googling around it looks like the game has some strange bug where it crashes on a specific schedule every 20 to 50 minutes? That's some weird poo poo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I'd rather live in my own reality wherein FEAR never had any sequels and I imagined the last 5 seconds of the ending to FEAR.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

People weren't kidding when they said Diablo 3 has been vastly improved. The journey of character progression through blowing up challenging monster packs and getting better and better gear has never been more fun.

The bounty system gets old pretty fast, but the randomized map system (Nephalem rifts) are always exciting to tackle.

Bounties are just a means for accumulating rift shards to do rifts and then greater rifts. Don't farm bounties for gear.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

Unless said gear is a Ring of Royal Grandeur.

I actually gave up on that ring but it looks like they buffed legendary drop chance from caches on the 3rd. Neat

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

The Kins posted:

Is there still a Prison Architect thread somewhere? I finally got around to giving it a quick spin before bed last night and then I looked up and it was 6am and oh jeez.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504197

Pretty active whenever an update goes out

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, Shadowrun. There's the base game and Dragonfall? Should I play one before the other?

The base game is pretty good, but if it really starts to drag on you then feel free to just play Dragonfall.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo this new front storepage is horrific - I thought they were going to leave things as they were but give people the option to add in these new features if they wished. This is just an ugly mess and an overload of irrelevant information. I just want the new releases/coming soon stuff and daily/midweek/weekend deals front and center like they used to be. What the hell is Explore Your Queue and Curators and how do I get rid of them?

This isn't Half Life 3 at all, Gabe :smith:

I have to agree. It's a garish mess.

We got Batman & Robin'd.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Prison Architect put out update 25 last night and it's a doozy. The impetus for this update was the fact that for some players the game was just too easy. Well, instead of tweaking variables on existing systems and calling it good, they decided to introduce an entirely new paradigm: prisoner reputation. Everything from snitches, to cop killers, to crime lords can now become prisoners under your responsibility.

I've been playing it and it's a little frightening. Haven't had any experiences as bad as update 23 where a prisoner walked off the bus, immediately overdosed on something he smuggled into the prison, and my staff couldn't get to him in time because my ridiculous security system; but I think it's just a matter of time.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504197

Update video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2W05vvIKU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I see a lot of games get "whooa this is so great" on the first day and then a few weeks later people say "man that game was objectively terrible"

They're obviously different people with different tastes but it makes me wonder what happened to the first group. too busy playing to care i guess??

(I don't own Wasteland 2 btw)

It's called the BioShock Infinite Effect, or the Prometheus Effect.

What I'm trying to say is that everything is poo poo when you think about it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ars Technica hated Alien Isolation and called it fundamentally broken. But then again, the entire review seems like the guy is complaining about being bad at hiding.

For what it's worth, the same reviewer really disliked Shadow of Mordor, too.

Edit: spelling

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Dominic White posted:

The game handles Vsync VERY badly - if it drops below 60fps at all, it shifts straight down to 30 with horrible control lag. I can play it with most things at high/very high at nearly 60fps/1080p if I turn off Vsync on my 660TI. If you don't mind a bit of screen tearing, it's a massive performance boost, and you can stop your GPU from cooking itself by just using the built-in frame cap option.

I've heard playing in borderless mode with V-sync disabled "fixes" this. It's still crazy that it doesn't have triple buffering.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

kater posted:

Thirty Six minutes of nitpicking. Jesus is that game not worth it.

So far he goes over some pretty accurate stuff, like how the plot/ending makes absolutely no loving sense.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Cookie Clicker

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I'm not seeing anyone bring up underground hobo boxing simulators Condemned: Criminal Origins and Bloodshot.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ddraig posted:

One of the literal most :gonk: sequences I can remember is in Quake 4 when you get turned into a Strogg. That's loving horrific.

Yeah, too bad that scene was surrounded by the rest of Quake 4.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Palpek posted:

An interesting bit of info on Alien: Isolation - modders managed to enable Oculus Rift support that apparently exists in the game files and was just turned off. Somebody might die because of this.

Ha! Awesome. Thank you for this

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Rock, Paper, Shotgun delivering some harsh truths in their review of Styx.

quote:

You’re not going to love Styx. It’s not the kind of game you’re going to be itching for a sequel to. It seems kind of unfortunate that it was released within a week of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Alien: Isolation. But sometime five or ten years from now you’ll be talking about stealth games with a friend and you’ll go, “Oh, hey, remember Styx? That was pretty good.”

Your friend probably won’t have played it, but that just means you get to feel smarter than them.

edit:

edit: Dev diary for Killing Floor 2 is out and it looks great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx_J4F9xe8g

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

Wait, Windows 10? What the gently caress happened to 9?

They're skipping it because 7 8 9.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

The real reason is apparently because when old programs install, they first search for "Windows 9" and then "Windows 95" or "Windows 98."

Programming.

lovely Java programmers that use osName.startswith() and not version.startswith() deserve to get burned.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Drifter posted:

You, who sings the praises of every lovely mmo under the sun, can't get past the intro because of boredom? Jesus Christ, that's an cutting indictment if I've ever heard of one.

DA:O is a very, very boring game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Dwarf Commoner is the only interesting origin story. The rigid caste system of your dwarven society has impoverished your family and forced you to the edge. In a last ditch effort to save your sister from being essentially sold into slavery, you impersonate a pit fighter and end up winning his tournament match. This begins a sequence of events that results in your banishment from the Dwarven city and beginning your quest with the Grey Wardens.

Human noble is poo poo. It's ten minutes of boring dialogue about the darkspawn and then your whole family dies. Waah waah, no one cares.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Risk of Rain updated? Cool! I got all the artifacts but one and now I have an excuse to go back. And it looks like there are new characters too!

2 new classes, new items, new challenges, and a bunch of performance updates. Risk of Rain is such a good game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Orv posted:

David Lynch made a Dune movie, he gets a pass.

David Lynch's version of Dune is terrrrrrrible.

I really wish Jodorowsky's Dune was made instead.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/jodorowskys-dune-2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Robot Porn posted:

You can play FO3 in the New Vegas engine with Tale of Two Wastelands. I haven't tried it myself, but I bought FO3 with the plan to do that.

I remember liking FO3 a lot and then being soured on the later DLCs because all the enemies just soaked up damage instead of being genuinely difficult.

DLC - or rather end game - scaling is also problematic in NV. Old World Blues in particular can get extraordinarily annoying depending on what point you engage in the story.

I'm in the same boat with Fallout 3. I enjoyed it when it came out but it's another 'mile wide, inch deep' bethesda RPG which leaves you with an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable experience. At this point it's just a vague memory of playing and having a pretty good time, but I can't really remember anything that happened outside of maybe three main story related events, which is a drat shame for an open world game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

DreadedCone is playing Five Nights 2 if anyone cares. He's one of the few streamers that isn't completely insufferable http://www.twitch.tv/dreadedcone

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 11, 2014

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

LibbyM posted:

Look how much of that screen space is taken up with showing the chat and his face. I don't even have to watch long enough to hear him speak to disagree with that.

I get that people who watch streamers seem to want face cams, so that will always be a thing, but there is no way the cam needs to take up that much space, and why does the chat need to waste screen space? Like, is anyone watching the archives going to be sad the chat isn't there?

The cam, sure, but the chat is on there so you can see it when you watch full screen.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

LibbyM posted:

You'd need to leave full screen to participate in the chat anyway though.

Right, because lurking totally isn't a thing people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

kater posted:

What the gently caress is this game anyways.

MOBA roguelite

• Locked thread