Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ManOfTheYear posted:

I was checking out the top selling indie games and I found a game called Sakura Spirit. It looks like the worst creepy poo poo Japan has to offer. Is it really as bad as it looks like?

Yes it is, and the fact that it's selling is an indictment of the gaming community. If you must have a game with anime chicks, I'd suggest Sunrider- it's free and has mechs! It's vastly unfinished though, and has one NSFW scene late on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mokinokaro posted:

Alternatively, anything from Christine Love.

Or Magical Diary :allears:

Just stay away from Planet Stronghold though. Hell, stay away from anything Winter Wolves-related.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's Georgina Bensley/Hanako Games. Christine Love is Analogue and Hate Plus.

Yeah, I should've mentioned that they're made by different people, sorry. But still, both Hanako and Christine are your go-to people if you want non-skeevy western VNs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Please don't buy anything from Winter Wolves. Their games are terrible, cliched, and just plain goddamn clunky.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard Trails in the Sky had some problems- have those been fixed?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Accordion Man posted:

They don't kill themselves, Havelock poisoned Pendleton and Martin. It is anti-climatic, but I kind of like the fact that they realize their plan to gently caress over Corvo was an awful idea because Corvo is far beyond them in power and Havelock just resigns himself to his death.

Yeah, this is why I prefer the subtlety of the low-chaos ending to the cinematics of the high chaos one. It's just so... quiet, and yet still shows Corvo as a force to be reckoned with.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's by Winter Wolves, of course it's terrible. Not that it'd stop lonely idiots from buying it, but still, the point remains.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And so is Magical Diary. I also like the Sunrider beta access, but mostly because it has mechs. It has some naughty scenes in it (but hey, mechs), so if that's not your bag, pass it up.

EDIT: That said, if you want your kawaii uguugames, there's the Ys series and Trails in the Sky.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How's Empire: Total War, then? I heard there were problems with it, but I'd hope those were patched out.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Downs Duck posted:

Thanks for this.

Also, who wants Civilization 3: Complete? Leave your Steam ID.

I do? I'm avrelivs (no caps).

EDIT: Is there anything YOU want? If it's not too expensive, I'll try to get it to you ASAP (never given anything to anyone via Steam before).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Downs Duck posted:

It's like 7 others with that name, just hit me up and its yours:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/

All right, accepted the friend request.

Downs Duck posted:

I'm good, but thank you :)

All right then :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drifter posted:

Nope. It's a fine game.

He's got a point though- don't get me wrong, Sunrider's probably my second-most anticipated game (laugh track), but it really is unfinished right now, with some objectionable elements. That said, it's free, has mechs, well-executed if typical anime art, mechs, genuinely tactical and enjoyable combat, mechs, what seems to be an interesting storyline, and did I mention mechs?

Anyway, all this Gauntlet talk is making me want to get the game- anything you'd recommend to a newbie?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sure Steam, I'd love to goof around in Star Trek Online, but Perfect World thinks that it's 1983 and that pirated games are released on mimeographed 8-track tapes in a seedy back alley of Beijing on the regular.

Where do you live? I'm Malaysian, and I've been loving around in STO for a long time. I even have a subscription.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thing about Choice of Games is that they don't have a single writer contributing- instead, people use their CYOA software to write their own stuff, then CoG sells them. It's why we get drek like Choice of heroes, all the way to good stuff like Tin Star or Mecha Ace.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just unlocked here in Malaysia 2. Time to get my Clannad of Duty on!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

UberJumper posted:

It isn't distracting at all, the border only exists when you are directly controlling a character and during cutscenes (in which case it works really well since the game is supposed to look like a painting). However the border disappers when ever you are using the strategic map (which is what you will be looking at 75% of the time).

Seconding this. poo poo, I stayed away from the screenshots, and I didn't notice the borders until you lot started posting about it :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will GeDoSaTo make VC widescreen-compatible? My resolution's 1768x992, and things look a little stretched.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SynthOrange posted:

Misandryyyyyyy

Don't knock Dallas; the characters she likes are drat powerhouses, and two are Scouts to boot, so they have the AP to mutually keep up with each other. She's also an Engineer, so if you've got the CP to spare, you can go on a rifle grenade spree all day erryday.

Also if you're not bringing Jane and Wendy every mission, you're a drat Imperial and should be shot. Same goes for not bringing (spoiling for safety) Vyse and Aika.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 13, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Helith posted:

Is there an in-game explanation in Valkyria Chronicles as to why teenagers are fighting the war?

Or should I just shrug and say 'Because Anime!'

I plan on picking this game up at some point but goddamn it's anime as gently caress and I'm too old to be part of the anime generation.

Having played the game, there surprisingly is- the characters' home country of Gallia is small as poo poo (think Switzerland), and everyone who can stand up, hear thunder and see lightning has been conscripted. Gallia's always had a policy of national service (again, think Switzerland), so it's plausible that your dudes know the shooty end of the rifle from another, but it's a nice bit of attention to detail.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't recall any incest romance bullshit, it's just there to explain why she gets a lot of poo poo thrown at her initially*, and you don't.

*She's a member of the Darcsen people- basically, Anime Not Jews™ that are blamed for every poo poo thing that happens, while Welkin (the main character) is of pure Aryan stock.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The GIG posted:

There are two that unlock after certain characters (namely: Oscar and Karl) are injured and evacuated after gaining their unlockable potentials, so basically unless you get those two killed by loving up very badly, you should be okay. Outside of that there's the unlockable enemy weapons from defeating named special enemies, but most of them are garbage anyway.

I've generally noticed that Imp weapons do much more damage, at the cost of range. Since I usually engage from the next planetary system, they are worthless to me, but if you're the gung-ho sort, then their machine guns might prove useful.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry, by that I mean I just shoot them from a massive distance- it's hell for my mission ratings, but gently caress it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I mean, I'm going to keep playing, but the old Yahtzee review wasn't kidding when he said this game is basically The Hundred Acre Wood Fights Mean Old Farmer Hitler.

That's how 80%-90% of the game is, which makes the remaining 10%-20% all the more :stonk:-inducing when they happen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like Clannad Of Duty myself, but that's because I'm a sad nerd.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DarkstarIV posted:

Also to address the whole Aces drop horrible weapons thing, that's only true for the non-dlc stuff. The DLC ace weapons (for the most part) are really drat good.

Normal game Ace weapons can be great- if you've got the right person for them. Imperial machine guns are wonderful for Stormtroopers like Jane (whose Strong Will lets her get up close and personal) and Wendy (who's got Phoenix- basically a chance of resurrection); they can get up close and shred enemy squads, especially if backed up by the proper orders.

EDIT: Their sniper rifles are all hilarious rubbish, though.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 13, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Isn't DoA basically a fanservice series nowadays? Might as well get Street Fighter 4 if you want a fighting game.

EDIT: That being said, I would like to see how a 50-piece bikini would look like :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the grimdark future, there is no spellchecking.

Knowledge begets questions, questions beget thought, thought begets doubt, doubt begets heresy- and heresy begets retribution.

But seriously though, is it fun to play, spelling errors aside?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone tried This War of Mine? I like the concept of trying to survive in a war zone, but a good concept doesn't necessarily make a good game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WYA posted:

Okay it is a good game? I might get it for a cool 20$

It's a little *~anime~* in the beginning, but it does get a lot better later.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Orv posted:

Man I missed a chance to yell about anime. :smith:

That said, so, Mordeheim. So far so good, but very much lacking in features.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to customizing my group of dudes- you reckon it'll go up in price when that comes (next update, it seems)? Might as well get it then.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
HOLY loving poo poo YOU GUYS! True, it is a bit disturbing that this has somehow come up with little fanfare, but goddamn if this doesn't look like a modern version of Final Liberation.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bit of a silly question, but are there any good RPGMaker games on sale? I've got a hankering for some of that old-school stuff.

Alternatively- any so-bad-it's-good RPGMaker games out there? The higher the cringe factor, the better :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agent355 posted:

Lost dream is a RPGmaker game that I put over 100 hours into. It's full to the brim of sidequests and collectibles and special challenges and it keeps track of all of them right in the game menus. Having a happy little tally that tells you how many treasure chests you have left to find on the entire continent is very satisfying. It also comes with it's own pretty high quality strategy guide for when you forget where you're supposed to go (which can happen).

Oooh, this sounds good. Anywhere to download it though? Can't find it on Steam, and its website seems to have been frozen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agent355 posted:

Sorry. It's Last Dream. I'm an idiot.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266230/

It's not on sale right now but it's worth full price honestly, though it may go on sale at some point.

It even has one of those 100 floor dungeons that force you to enter naked and with 0 equipment and subsist on randomly generated loot chests and special rewards every 5 floors. It's awesome.

Oh man, that does sound amazing! I'll put it on my wishlist for now then. Thanks for the suggestion again!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I bit the bullet and bought the new 40K game, and drat is it good. Even on the easiest setting it can be a little challenging at times, since you're often facing several large waves of troops (or I'm a terrible commander :v:), so I'm going to try bump the difficulty up a notch or two, see how it goes. The V/A can get a little dodgy here and there, but it seems solid enough, so points for presentation down too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

McCoy Pauley posted:

Have you checkd out the editor yet? It seems like it allows you to create basically anything in the real game -- all the terrain, all the units, all the art -- everything. I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to make anything useful with it, but I'm pretty excited to see what other people come up with. Some posts by Slitherine folks make it sound like the game is entirely moddable and people could easily load in their own art for any units not in the game -- hopefully this does well enough that some brave souls start putting out mods with Eldar, Tyranids, etc.

Not yet, having too much fun driving the xeno scum off Armageddon (VON STRAAAHD :argh:).

...can I give myself a Titan to start with? Because I want a Titan. I'll play every mission on my lonesome if I have to, so long as I can do it in a Titan.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you playing 40K: Armageddon, when do I get super-heavy tanks and Titans?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

saucerman posted:

I know you don't like the series beyond Saints Row 2 but I am totally cool with how it went crazier with each release. Maybe the series will go full circle with #5 and go back to the style of SR2?

Dear God, I hope not. The craziness of Saints Row is what makes it special. And seriously, if you watched the musical trailer and hated it, you might need a fun transplant.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bagmonkey posted:

I've been dying for some games to scratch my very casual strategy and simulation game itch for some time. After a few tycoon games and some hours in X-COM, I tried GhostControl Inc. and holy balls, it is the most perfect simulation+strategy combo I have ever played. Above 3.5 hours into an easy campaign and I just got a bigger car, still moping up easily of missions. It's really a great take on 90s X-COM with a focus on the business aspect.

Cool, I've been looking at it for a while. How much 'agent' customization is there? Can I make my own dudes/recruit more later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Capsaicin posted:

Tangentially related to the anime sale, are there any good JRPG style games on Steam? Particularly the SNES/PSX era style? I know of Breath of Death 7 and Cthulu Saves the World, but is there anything else decent past FF7 and FF8?

Last Remnant is another good one, though it's very obtuse.

• Locked thread