Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There have even been brief moments where Origin has done stuff better than Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Is any of the Fallout 3 DLC good? That would be why I'd get it on PC, since my copy of it's in just the other room. Unless there's some really good Mods.

Mr E posted:

I think it's all pretty worth it except for Mothership Zeta, but just get the GotY and don't play MZ, I think some worthwhile mods use MZ.
I can't tell if I think Anchorage is pointless or a nice attempt to try something a little different, but either way it's the weakest outside of Zeta (which I'm happy to ignore). Overall it's solid DLC though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

No game did the "moral choice" worse than Bioshock. You can save the little sisters and still become a demigod, or you can OBLITERATE THEM YAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *SCREAAAM*

The second story DLC for Infinite makes the moral choice in Bioshock hilarious.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

I liked Jade Empire, it was a different sort of setting than we usually get and really felt like the Missing Link between KOTOR and Mass Effect.

It definitely wasn't a fantastic game but I've spent my time completing far worse games, can't blame Bioware for doing a couple of things differently for once at least.

I've got a real soft spot for Jade Empire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Almost as if it makes more sense to rate individual games than divide the company's track record into made up eras.

Especially when there are different studios within a company, etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I own Thief Gold on CD and on Steam already, so here's a gift key from the Humble Bundle.

E: Taken. Enjoy!

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 30, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was able to get this. Thank you!

Have fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wonder if that means they'll redo RE0 as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I remember those Quest games as just being frustrating because you'd invariably get stuck and it wouldn't give you any idea on how to proceed.

The puzzles in the Quest for Glory games were usually pretty fair and tended not to have the obtuse "you didn't pick up the unrelated object an hour ago, time to die" problems that most of the others did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Orv posted:

Basically every good series that Sierra published was made by now-extinct studios. Impressions (Caeser, Pharoah, Zeus), SWAT, Homeworld, Tribes. Silent Thunder (the A-10 plane games), Lords of Magic and their adventure games are basically all they have left of their own.

It's more a matter of who owns the rights to what rather than if the studios still exist. They almost definitely don't have the rights to Homeworld, for example.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you die in Dead Space you (generally) restart pretty close to where you were.

The save system seemed pretty appropriate for the atmosphere, especially on harder difficulties.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

A friend of mine is pestering me to play Knights of the Old Republic 1 (okay, I'm curious myself), any essential mods I should add? I know I want a good resolution mod, if that's available, since the vanilla does not support 1920x1080.

Aside from any tweaks / fixes you need to get it working at the res you want, no, there's nothing essential for it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

I prefer K/M. I liked the accuracy when it came to blinking and using sleep darts.
Me too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hogo Fogo posted:

Groupees' Be Mine 14 is coming soon.

These are apparently the games:

1. Betrayer
2. Consortium
3. Whispering Willows
4. The Mysterious Cities of Gold
5. Meltdown
6. Little Big Adventure 2
7. Legacy!

I've had my eyes on Consortium for some time now, so this is looking good.
I have no idea how well they've aged but Little Big Adventure 1&2 were some of my favourite games in high school.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think there are some good ideas in Infinite, it's just as the game goes on it becomes clear that the writers aren't that interested in them.

And then the DLC happens and removes any doubt about that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Enemy Within is entirely suitable for a first playthough. It broadens your options and adds a bunch of things in that feel entirely natural.

ceaselessfuture posted:

E: Also, is the Infinite DLC any good?
Nope.

The long answer is a spoiler-filled rant about how it lowered my opinion of the base game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sober posted:

I dunno, it throws a lot at you compared to EU. I would say play EU until you get bored of what it has to offer, then restart a new game in EW.
I think it paces things out well though; Meld is there from the start, but by the time you can use it you've probably already got a half-dozen missions under your belt and have an idea of the basics. EXALT isn't thrown at you right away either, and the base defence mission fits in naturally. E: To me it's like asking if CiV should be played with the expacs.

If you install EW but play EU do you still get the benefit of the international voices and the extra maps?

quote:

Well, Infinite's DLC was at least fun to play. I guess I would need to read up on what BAS did in terms of the whole Bioshock canon though, because I am sure something got retconned somewhere, somehow because of BAS.
I liked the gameplay in in the DLCs well enough, it's just the writing I had so many, many problems with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The AUD is currently overvalued too, since we're a stable country with a lot of really valuable rocks and people keep investing in us.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A mage in BG2 at least starts off being able to do things, compared to BG1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Helith posted:

Konami really needs to port the MGS series and put it on Steam. I doubt they'd be able to do 4 though, it's too PS3 dependent apparently to ever untangle.
It seems like they're doing that for the new games at least.

MGS 1&2 already have PC ports as well :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

They just need to port 3 and PW since those are the most important for understanding GZ/TPP. They're also the most fun games in the series. Plus it's not like MGS1 has aged very well in terms of playability. I have no idea the quality of the MGS2 PC port but it's already out there somewhere in CD form.

MGS2 is a pretty awful PC port, from what I remember.

E: As in, think of the sins that a port can commit, and they're probably there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think they went in assuming the FOX engine would be used on multiple platforms, rather than designing the special little flower that was MGS4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

If you're not using the 'line up a bunch of super accurate pistol shots' ability with your handgun in Alpha Protocol, you're doing it wrong.

Shotgun and Room Sweep is a silly and effective way to play. Plus since you're only shooting people and then stomping on their throats it's fairly nonlethal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Keep in mind that Quake 2 is 17 years old now.
Thanks for making me feel old :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Werner-Boogle posted:

I can't find a "recommend me a game" thread so I'm gonna ask here instead.

I'm looking for a very specific sort of game. I work a nighttime surveyliance kind of job, so I have a lot of downtime with my laptop. I'm looking for a game I can play with just my laptop mouse pad and keyboard, that I can put down at a seconds notice if I have to, and it needs to be enjoyable even without sound.

So far I've been playing Civ V but I'm getting sorta tired of it. All suggestions from all genres are welcome.

XCOM?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Werner-Boogle posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I think I'm gonna buy Enemy Unknown. Do I need Enemy Within to start with or is the base game fine? The DLC is kinda pricey.

Enemy Within sometimes goes on special, but it seems to happen less often than the main game.

The base game is fine. I think the expac is an improvement across the board, but it's not "necessary" in the same way that, say, the Civ V expacs are.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also Enemy Within is $10 on Amazon at the moment (not sure about region specific stuff).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Make sure you play the DLC for Bioshock 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not gonna bother with ME3 though. Not just because people say the game is bad but because it's on Origin probably and it probably wouldn't carry over the save anyway.
There's plenty of good stuff in ME3, and the saves do carry over.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Mass Effect 2 also has a really great cast of characters, particularly Mordin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCMgl0QDXQ

Mordin's also one of the best bits in 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

What I would suggest is beating the game, then going and watching the videos for the Indoctrination Theory and believe that as absolute fact. It's way better than the story Ubisoft wrote.

One big problem with that theory is that it leaves the game without an actual ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I just downloaded Origin a while ago, and I wanted to get Mass Effect 3 at some point.

Are any of the DLC packs for ME3 worth getting?

Citadel is definitely worth getting.
Leviathan set up / explains some of the ending stuff more, but it's debatable whether it improves it.
Omega is a side-story involving characters the writers like more than most fans.

All of the multiplayer DLC is free and essential for MP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Did Bioware ever change the ending? I recall hearing something about how the ending was altered or extended from when it was first released, but maybe that was regards to the Leviathan DLC.

Yeah, there's the Extended Ending DLC that expands a bit on what happens and why, but it doesn't fundamentally change it.

I realised I forgot From Ashes, which has a pretty interesting party member.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

It's been bugging me too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

First impressions of the next batch of games I'm playing...

Mass Effect 2 - Felt better about it once I was able to map it to a gamepad with JoyToKey. Third person games just don't feel right with M+KB. The only annoying thing is the command menu but otherwise it controls fine. Just finished the Freedoms Progress mission and the game's now opened up a little. I'll figure out whether I'm really on board or not once I've travelled around a little. The rinky dink combat isn't impressing me (bear in mind I last played Mass Effect 1 when it came out in 2007 or whenever).
The combat in ME1 is pretty horrible compared to ME2 (or to most other games), so I doubt it's an issue for you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

v1ld posted:

How is ME3's combat better? ME2 had some spongy enemies, compounded by some having multiple different health bars to work through to get to the spongy core. I haven't given 3 a shot because the LPs I looked at show wave after wave of trash enemies using the same mechanics as 2 during the tutorial. Is the combat that much improved from 2?

Aside from lots of little quality-of-life improvements, there is a big emphasis on combos (especially in multiplayer). You get a lot more out of using multiple abilities (or abilities + weapons) than you do just relying on single abilities.

It's not the same leap that 2 was from 1, but it's noticeable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

I will gladly play this...when it hits $10 during the Summer Sale of 2016.
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it at a bargain basement price.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Is the game even worth ~10 dollars?

There's probably better games than it for $10, but also less than the price of two beers, and I like ancient Rome and beating things up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

I'm pretty sure the HD versions won't come out on PC just like every other HD release on PS3/360. It's the way things are.
Fable, several Resident Evil games, Assassin's Creed Liberation all got PC re-releases. Probably more that I can't think of too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Palpek posted:

Didn't those games have regular PC versions eariler though? Assassin's Creed Liberation was also the only big game in the series that didn't come out on PC and came from a developer with a heavy pc presence. What I'm saying is that I don't really see a reason for MGS HD games to come out on the platform just because it's logical.
Think so, but they were just the ones I could find / confirm quickly though. It's not like wasn't an XBox version of MGS3 or Peace Walker before the HD collection either.

I think it's more of a dev-specific thing than anything else.

• Locked thread