Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Origin at the least has a really good refund policy. Also the overlay shows your battery, which is nice when you're on a laptop. It's lacking a lot of features Steam has, but it's perfectly fine to use.

Uplay, on the other hand, is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

pentyne posted:

Honestly, I'm still amazed that the Touhou guy hasn't done it. It's literally just him, and for a small pittance for translation (I'm sure Carpe Fulgur would do it) he'd probably make close to a million in a few weeks.

If I remember correctly, ZUN doesn't want to sell his stuff in the US because he'd have to deal with US copyright laws and the like. Especially considering how avid the Touhou fanbase is when it comes to creating stuff.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I found out about this not long ago when I noticed that some of the dumb trading cards (like Knock-knock) actually have neat backgrounds: http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?showcase

That site has all the images which you can download at 1920x1080.

MirrorMoon EP has one of my favorite backgrounds:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bethesda games are the kind of games I respect because of the scale and scope of the whole thing, but actually playing through them is like trying to eat bland flavorless mush. I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

Yeah, I like Skyrim for the fact that I can scale mountains and just bunnyhop my way across an enormous world, but the combat and story are just god-awful.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Technetium posted:

I thought only ME1 didn't have controller support because console ports weren't great then anyway but what the gently caress how does 2 or especially 3 not have it. loving EA.

I think it's just Bioware. Most EA games have controller support on PC, unless they flat-out don't have a console version.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Sober posted:

Just curious, but is Wolf09 and TNO supposed to be related in anyway? I heard TNO is disconnected from RTCW though, is that correct as well?

As I understand it, TNO is a sequel to 09. And I guess 09 is a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I loved the Jade Empire setting but good god was it a horror to actually play. I never even got past the first village before putting it down. I'd be totally down for something in that setting with a not absolutely terrible combat system.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm sure all those people posting that they're happy with their deals are wrong, then.

I beat Oath in Felghana on Nightmare just now, which I'm pretty happy about. Origin is supposed to be a little easier, right?

Origin is easier, yes.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Xseed finally gave a release date and price point to The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's coming out on the 29th, and will be $19.99 (though it'll be 15% off for the first week). Also they apparently did a number on the game's code so it now supports widescreen resolutions, among a number of other changes.

For those who haven't been keeping up with this, Trails in the Sky is a turn-based RPG made by Falcom (the Ys guys) that was released way back when, and only just recently got an English release on the PSP. This version is the original PC version, with all the features from the PSP version added in.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah. Carpe Fulgar is helping Xseed translate Trails in the Sky: SC, because these games have a ton of loving dialogue. Every single NPC has a unique line or conversation, and these change every single time a story beat happens. This is also the primary reason these games took so long to get localized, as no company really wants to go through the trouble of translating all that poo poo for a fairly niche RPG.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I was checking out the top selling indie games and I found a game called Sakura Spirit. It looks like the worst creepy poo poo Japan has to offer. Is it really as bad as it looks like?

It is as bad as it looks, but it's not Japanese.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I do, and that's a good thing. A lot of indie games have been platformers and I've never been too much into that genre, but for example Shovel Knight looks so good that I just might buy it.

Also, thank you guys for suggestions.

Shovel Knight is really good, but if you're not one for platformers I don't know how much you'd like it. The game is a love letter to old NES platformers, and expects that you already know them inside out.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

• Horrible server issues, think SimCity and Diablo 3 launches. They were allegedly anticipating this and did nothing to assuage it, though who knows if they even had the means to.

Depends on how much forewarning they had. I know FFXIV suffered from a sudden surge in popularity before launch, which their login server was unprepared to handle. In that case, simply plugging in more servers doesn't help. But if they had a good amount of time to prepare, then yeah, there's no excuse for a Diablo 3 level launch.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Hogo Fogo posted:

New beta update...

:siren:
Library
Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

loving finally.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The Kins posted:

Also in the beta files: An updated design for the Steam Controller:

Looks like they replaced the left "d-pad" with a traditional analog stick.

Not a huge fan of that, gotta be honest. The D-pad is essential to playing a lot of games (like platformers), and having an analog stick as a replacement is kinda counter-intuitive.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The Kins posted:

Hey! Remember how EA gave the "Ultimate Edition" of The Sims 2 away to everyone who owned some other digital version of the game?

Well now they're giving it away to everyone for free until the end of the month, presumably to stop people from bugging Origin support to add their decade old retail keys to their account.

To get it, crack open Origin and redeem the CD-key I-LOVE-THE-SIMS before 10AM PDT on July 31st.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If EA wants people to use Origin, free games is a good way to go about doing it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Can't you use the big touch pads as a D-pad? I though the touchpads were supposed to be a happy medium between sticks and d-pads.

Not really? They're more like laptop trackpads, from what I've heard, which doesn't have the precision of a d-pad. The whole point of a d-pad is that it only has 4 physical directions, and 8 directions total, so if you press down you know the game will read it as pressing down.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ubisoft is now attempting to win the "stupidest advertising campaign" contest by sending somebody to Mt. Everest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsOg6HgDHiQ

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Alright, that's pretty cool. Is there anything for the classic FF/Chrono trigger style?

Sadly, no. There are games that have tried to replicate 8/16-bit RPGs, but none of them have done it nearly as well as Shovel Knight did for platformers.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

An actual JRPG and not an RPG Maker game, Trials in the Sky is by the Y's people except it doesn't have Y's combat, which seems like a cruel mistake against nature, because y's has ruined all rpgs for me that don't have y's combat

Also, if you wanna hear about how difficulty it was to make a 2004 RPG based on an engine from a 2003 Ys game run on modern systems, Xseed did a pretty cool write-up over here.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Some deals from.. Gamestop??? Yes they have deals all the time stop it

Binary Domain for $3.75: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/bi...HVPpv9W2Zp6KOBw

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines for $5 (haven't seen a deal on this in a while): http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/va...QopXAcPbQnQE_Rg

Borderlands 2 GOTY for $9.99: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/bo...XYM0byqgeVDwl2g

Arkham Origins for $7.49: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ba...HdkN_Ss6bAntf9A

South Park the Stick of Truth for $40: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/so...HlkoyndH5l7Cwhg

Timeshift for $5: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/ti...vx7CpwvbRWDe2aQ

They also have Bloodrayne Betrayal for 4 bucks. Just picked it up recently and it's a really fun game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Palpek posted:

I think it actually has really great environment design that still hasn't been challenged by an open world RPG.

I actually found Skyrim's environments to be bland as hell, which is odd considering I should be all over the Norse influence in that game. I liked exploring the world, but aside from one or two interesting spots it was kinda meh.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Word of warning to those thinking about picking up Trails in the Sky, the game is extremely crash heavy unless you play in windowed mode at like 600x800 resolution. They're apparently working on fixing it but a ton of people on the forums are complaining about it. Personally, it took like 3 tries to get past the opening cutscene without crashing, doesn't bode well.

Edit: Finally managed to get past the opening scene only to get a black screen of death. Cool, glad I spent 17 dollars on this.

According to Xseed's programmer Sara Leen, TitS was a nightmare of programming when it came to resolutions. I'm not surprised it's kinda buggy right out of the gate. Either way, she's working on it now so there should be some patches soon.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

Is horror basically dead?

There is Year Walk. There's no combat and the game is only about 2-4 hours long, but it has atmosphere to spare and is stylish as gently caress. It won't scratch the condemned itch but it's something.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The store page calls it an "arcade hack 'n' slash" so I think they weren't exactly trying for ARPG mechanics.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

No loving clue. It seems like it would be better to call it a spin-off, but what do I know.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

It's one of those weird divides between western RPGs and JRPGs. Among western RPGs, an Action RPG is usually a Diablo clone. Among JRPGs, an Action RPG is usually something like Ys or Kingdom Hearts. Amalur seems to be more of the latter, from what I've seen.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Speaking of JRPGs, I just picked up Trails in the Sky and it's really good. There's nothing overly amazing or groundbreaking about it, but it's a well-made turn-based JRPG with a lot of heart. It was also released on PCs first, so the keyboard and mouse controls work rather well.

Ed: Also the music is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bGsXVmEfo

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 2, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

GreenNight posted:

PCs first? It's been on PSP for years.

The PSP port didn't happen until 2006. The PC version of the game came out in 2004, but we only just got it over here a few days ago.

Drifter posted:

One of the draws(?) for Trails is to be able to go and talk to the npcs multiple times and they seem pretty reationary to where you are in teh story. Their comments get updated and stuff, so you don't end up having all these people only ever saying one thing over and over and over forever.

To clarify this, every single NPC in the game (as far as I know) will get new dialogue every time a story beat happens. And I do mean every time.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Eruonen posted:

It's great, but very buggy still.

They've fixed most of the worst bugs already and are hard at work on the others. I don't think it's a stretch to say the game will probably be bug-free and totally stable soon enough. It's worth picking up now while it's on sale.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

I'm impressed by how well Trails in the Sky is doing. It's stuck to the Steam top 15 like gum on hot tarmac all week, and now the Midweek Madnesses have been replaced with kinda ropey weekend deals it's back into the top 10 again. I don't recall any of the Ys games doing this well on their respective launches, before you even consider the increase in competition since then. Sure, it ain't no Divinity: Original Sin, but for a localisation of a 2004 PC game, it's probably well into "here be dragons (made of money)" territory on Xseed's charts.

I think part of its success is how it's been propped up by RPG fans as "the one that never made it here." People have been talking it up for years and years, linking music (this song in particular got around quite a bit), and hyping it up as one of the only JRPGs developed natively for PC. It didn't make too much of splash when the PSP version came out, but as a PC JRPG with a bit of a cult following it garnered way more attention.

Like I said before, it doesn't do any one thing amazingly (save for the music), but everything just works well together and it has a lot of charm. It's easily the best JRPG to land on steam so far, and I hope this encourages developers to release more JRPGs on steam.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Of the adventure games I have left to play I've got: Book of Unwritten Tales which will probably be next, the Critter Chronicles spinoff, Walking Dead Season 2, The Raven, Tex Murphy Overseer, Primordia, and Night of the Rabbit. Then I'll have to plunge into other genres for a while, while Telltale and Germany poop out their next batch of games.

e: I haven't literally played all adventure games, but I'll wait until the next sale before filling back up with games like Kentucky Route Zero, Tesla Effect, etc

I'd recommend starting with Primordia. Really great game about robots deifying humans in the post-apocalypse. The art direction is also incredible, which is interesting considering the color palette is mostly shades of brown.

Ed: Some screenshots:

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 4, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I've gotten a bunch of free poo poo from Origin since I've started using it and I've always wanted to try Wing Commander so this is perfect for me. Y'all can keep being crybabies and whining about free games, I'm gonna go fly a spaceship and blow poo poo up.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Now, if they could only do a remake of Resident Evil 2.

Probably not gonna happen. The only reason this is getting an HD makeover is because they had the assets from REmake lying around.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Kin posted:

Maybe they'll just straight up remake it! They could use the dead rising engine and it would be awesome! Imagine the full world environment totally explorable (with the exception of the locked door puzzles) etc.

I kinda think that's what they were ultimately aiming for back in the PS1 days but were just limited by the hardware.

Hahahaha. Capcom putting any effort into remaking older games. That's funny. You're funny.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So that 100% Orange Juice game in the Groupees bundle is anime as gently caress, but it's actually kinda fun once you learn the rules. If you're looking for a second game to pick up in that bundle, I'd suggest checking it out.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Crawl hits early access tomorrow. For those who don't remember, Crawl is the game that had this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1BhKN9gEc

Giant Bomb did a preview of an early build awhile back. It looks interesting, but seems like it needs a fair amount of rebalancing. Not sure how similar it is to the build they sent them, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutgq3Poab4

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The big question is, why would you pick North Korea over any other loving country/military force in the world. If we're just going to disregard reality, why settle for the least interesting military force in the world? Vanquish had the right idea, bring back the Space Russians.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Here's an interesting Humble Bundle Weekly:

$1

One Way Heroics
Unholy Heights
Gigantic Army

$6

Ys Origin
Pixeljunk Shooter
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

$10

Astebreed

That's a really good bundle.

Some highlights:

• One Way Heroics: Randomly generated roguelike where a wall of darkness is constantly eating away at the left side of the screen. You need to be constantly moving right and trying to defeat the lord of darkness, but you don't want to dawdle too long or you'll get trapped. Looks like an RPG Maker game, but is programmed in this guy's own engine.

• Ys Origin: Fun as hell Action RPG with three separate campaigns. The story is set 700 years before the first game in the series, but you don't need to have played that to enjoy Origin. Easily worth 6 dollars.

• Pixeljunk Shooter: Odd twinstick shooter where you're trying to save a bunch of scientists from the hazards deep in the caverns of an alien world. You need to use various environmental effects like shooting a wall to let water flow into lava to proceed.

• Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae: This game looks skeevy as hell, but the combat system is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Isn't worth the bundle for that alone, but if you're getting it anyways, I suggest trying it out.

• Astebreed: Cool shmup made by the people who did Ether Vapor Remaster. Involves a regenerating shield system, changing perspectives, lock-on targeting, and tons of loving bullets. Well worth 10 bucks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Delusibeta posted:

So, the Steam client beta has added a new feature: hiding games. :getin: It's under the Set Categories menu, apparently.

Great. So, uh, how do you unhide something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Has Trails in the Sky got through the crashing problems yet?

Seems that way. Can't guarantee it's 100% crash-free, but I haven't heard too many complaints recently.

• Locked thread