Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

We'll always have the Battlefield 1942 wake island demo

Wake Island sucks all the dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hellburger99 posted:

Edit: VVVV No lie I would buy the poo poo out of a game that emulated insane Japanese game shows.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but I'll be damned if I miss even the flimsiest of reasons to link it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 19, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

I believe you only need to install Company of Heroes (New Steam edition) as it will detect that you have the expansions and add that content.

This is correct.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?

The port itself works fine aside from occasional controller issues. It's missing online coop and some graphical updates the PS4 version got but is otherwise a perfectly serviceable game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

I'm almost convinced that you can hire Wrestling writers and get better stories for most videogames.

VGCW basically proves this out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iastudent posted:

Who here likes free Greenlight stuff?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Gurumin

I was thrilled up until the part where it's an anime PSP game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Isn't it also due to Valve insisting all DLC be sold on Steam and not through in-game purchasing via Origin?

That's part of it yes, but it's mostly EA trying to be a big boy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So Syndicate, ME3, DS3, and DA2 are coming to Steam soon then right? I mean no more DLC is being created for them, they could easily make a complete pack for their fans that don't like using Origin.

Except they won't, because to EA the tectonic slide into insolvency is like a sweet wine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Whatever, I already voted Yes and said as much and joined their group. Trigger is pulled, free game is coming, and it doesn't look like a terrible game other than all that gross stuff that's in it.

Hint: That makes it a bad game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps? If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'? I feel like no, but I also feel like most people don't actually complete games according to statistics so I sort of wonder why sequels are such a big deal in the industry.

Do people play the first half of ME2 and go 'ok I need to see the start of this game even though I didn't bother to finish the last one' or something?

edit: I know I'm being silly but I legitimately can't reconcile the two facts. I know statistically sequels sell better. I know statistically people don't finish games. How the gently caress do these two figures team up and make any loving sense?

If I had to guess, and surprise! I do, I don't work in the industry, those two competing statistics are probably both monstrously skewed in a number of ways. Especially in the case of games where people become emotionally invested in things, gamerspeople are a dumb lot.

Say game 1 of a series sells alright, and gains a cult following, with people telling their friends "You need to play this poo poo!" constantly. So game 2 gets massively hyped, a bunch of new people enter the series due to friends and other influences. Some of these go back and play the first game when it's cheap. Some people drop out because they disagree with various authorial decisions. But the majority of people are probably going to stick it out to the end of this thing they've put (in terms of length of interest rather than time investment) a few years of their life into. I didn't mean to turn this bit into Dark Souls but here we are.

That's not to say every single game series does that kind of thing to people. Far Cry is a crazy series that have basically no connection with each other except brand recognition, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn 60-70% of people who played Far Cry 2 and 3 never finished them and just did outposts forever. There is of course always the other issue of how many companies track and report on game completion stats, so.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

I am going to become a lumberjack and come kill you for mentioning it

Now I haven't seen all of Dexter but uh... que?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's better you don't know.

I'm beginning to think so too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thingyman posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bioware-explains-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

They claim that it was too expensive to add it to the PC version. How loving expensive could it possibly be. There's no way Unreal doesn't support it in the back-end and all the front-end poo poo was already developed for the console version.

They're essentially lying straight up, because you can enable controller support with a couple ini tweaks. It doesn't work in menus of any kind, but the dude parts of the game work fine. This holds true for all three ME games on PC.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know what you mean by "the dude parts" but I cracked up.

In the end, I bought Divinity: OS. It's pretty sweet, but it has some old-school annoyances, like no input on where to go to buy new equipment in the first town. How was I supposed to guess that it was a woman on the second floor of the mess hall?

You know, where you're running about and shooting things. The dude parts. Or the dudette parts, if you're playing Mass Effect correctly. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sober posted:

Just curious, but is Wolf09 and TNO supposed to be related in anyway? I heard TNO is disconnected from RTCW though, is that correct as well?

Direct sequel.

e;fb

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anyone else wish there was another Steam thread, one with a minimalist op and friends around every corner, also hot Dynasty Warriors for PC info? Guess I'm just fantasizing...

I have never wished for anything less.

Orv
May 4, 2011

fookolt posted:

So I went back and played Space Pirates and Zombies and I forgot how much I enjoyed this type of game. Is there anything like it but with even bigger battles?

Is there a space version of Mount & Blade?

It is called Starsector. Thread around here somewhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011

fookolt posted:

Ah, I've tried Starsector recently again (I bought it back when it was called Starfarer) and it didn't really click with me.

SPAZ 2 might be more up your alley then, but who knows when they plan to release that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

That worked out real well for Heavy Rain.

Well if we're going to call things made by David Cage "games" then Indigo Prophecy is most definitely art.

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Hrrrrm... Does Trendy have any goodwill left at this point?

On the one hand, I can get it for $6. On the other, far more important hand, unless it comes with a systemic change to the lovely grinding they added, gently caress off and die.

Orv
May 4, 2011

razorrozar posted:

If you remove all the window dressing (some of which is admittedly amazing), isn't this every video game?

Yes my pedantic friend, but Dungeon Defenders took it to levels unseen for people who don't train for say, the Olympics.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Where is it six dollars?

If you're a dumb idiot who owns previous titles in the series.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PowerBeard posted:

Dear TellTale Games,

Your games are exceptional and deserve every bit of praise heaped upon them. Your client and network for downloading them however might need some work. Please rectify this as I would very much like to connect to your servers, download the latest episode of The Walking Dead Season 2 and play it immediately.

Yours Sincerely,
Powerbeard.

P.S. Please make another Puzzle Agent or Hector game.

I'm going to be staring at my laptop waiting for this thing to connect.

Their personal download network is honestly terrifying with how bad it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good game that can be played in offline mode, preferrably with a ton of replay value? Going to be without internet for a while very soon and I need to prepare my free time now, If I can.

Any fun FPSes, strategy, or whatever games welcome.

If you have any sort of tolerance/love for turn based strategy and somehow haven't done so already, the Total War games can eat up days at a time. The older ones (pre-Empire) don't require Steam to be launched, but I'm not sure about the newer ones.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

You guys might want to take a minute to give Velvet Sundown a try. It's a free multiplayer game where you're a character on a yacht, trying to get information from other players who also have an agenda. Basically a social chat game, but this one converts your chat to voice. So this exchange gets a lot funnier when you hear it spoken:

ETA to John Madden achieved at hitherto unthinkable speeds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone playing Velvet Sundown needs to just start belting 90s Disney in Microsoft Sam and see how long it takes to "ruin" the server.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Every time I see the Steam controller I am less and less interested in using it. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

...and honestly it's a pretty solid game. The combat is good, there's a wild variety of enemies...

You are literally insane.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ugh does The Witcher ever get interesting? The game seems to be essentially trundling from NPC to NPC on endless fetch quests.

1 or 2? 1 no, 2 shouldn't have that problem at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

markgreyam posted:

Yes! That game is brilliant, I used to play so much of it back in the day that I would get confused as to what cards I had in real life with the cards I had in the game. Protip was that if I was remembering a Mox it was in game.

Speaking of which, I was playing the Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds game on Xbox last night. It's ... not brilliant, but I love it's shittiness anyway. I'd buy both if they appeared on Steam.

MtG: Battlegrounds is what got me into proper MtG, so in a sense as much as I love it it is the Worst Thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Bound by Flame is amazing. It's so earnest with its terrible dialogue that it makes it endearing. I think they wrote the perfect rear end in a top hat protagonist in any RPG.

Not worth playing to see the hilarious writing though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Alright, that's pretty cool. Is there anything for the classic FF/Chrono trigger style?

No, and there never will be.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey, I've been meaning to buy SoTS 1 on Steam ever since Gamefly stopped giving a poo poo about trying to make D2D customers happy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

maduin posted:

This is the Uncharted experience in a nutshell. Such cool set pieces, but it's like, "God, time for another loving wave of enemies" every time you see a bunch of barrels and boxes to hide behind.

Uncharted is one of the few series where I'm continually willing to put up with that because of how much I enjoy the adventures of Nathan "Murderboner" Drake.

Doesn't make it any less tedious, mind.

Everblight posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was so loving good though.

Another point against Tomb Raider: No Dinosaurs. :colbert:

I have no idea how GoL 2 is going to work with 4 players but I am prepared to find out. :dong:

Orv
May 4, 2011

kater posted:

Isn't Divinity 2 some Skyrim poo poo, and Dragon Commander a RTS? Now this game is Baldur's Gate? What the gently caress?

And the first two games are Diablos! :iiam:

Orv
May 4, 2011
If only apathy could kill a person through the internet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

duckfarts posted:

I can gift you a copy

Don't encourage him! :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Finally carved my way through the Witcher, which did actually get better! Still, it has to be one of the most lopsided games in terms of quality I've ever played - those first few chapters are painful.

2 is a considerably better game in nearly every aspect, if you enjoyed the first one enough to pursue it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I will. Just been poking around in the Witcher folder and the Enhanced Edition has some weird stuff tucked away inside it. A pervy motion comic where you have to undo a girl's dress, a grainy Polish making of an.. an album of experimental music 'inspired' by the Witcher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsXritC4DI

???

If nothing else that's a pretty great artist name.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Also the inventory is fine if you play using a controller right?

Functional, certainly not enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have to wonder if Oblivion had not been a pile of poo poo that people would be more receptive of Skyrim's flaws.

revdrkevind posted:

...the roleplaying potential in New Vegas is especially crazy.

Get the gently caress out.

• Locked thread