Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You won't get Adventure Mode, which is what everyone online is playing these days as the story mode sucks rear end and you've got much better loot opportunities from Rifts in Adventure Mode.

Don't you need the expansion for level 70? I can't remember. But if so, the higher level cap with the extra passive slot opens up a bunch of build opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Haha yes, he's thinking of the racist caricature Covetous Shen.

The funny thing is that somehow the racist caricature ended up being the only tolerable character in the entire game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Machinima Man posted:

There's a lot of talk about Diablo and how it's the king of ARPG. I have both Torchlights, along with D3 and its expansion. Ideally, I feel like the best ARPG is one that has tons of content, whereas Diablo's adventure mode is basically "here is you returning to parts of the game you've already seen, maybe with a couple monsters that are variably different than the last time."

Is there an ARPG that just has heaps of content that always feels fresh?

I've been dabbling in Sacred 2 Gold and it seems to have an absolutely massive amount of content. Like dozens of side quests show up and you're doing them all and after hours and hours of it you're still only level 15 (I think the level cap is like 200).

Unfortunately the actual gameplay seems to be ridiculously boring compared to D3, something that seems to be true of basically all other ARPGs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How many hours have you put into it according to Steam? I bet it's somewhere around 100. Probably more right?

I played through the whole mage quest line and dicked around for a few hours other than that, and that was plenty. The combat is just as mind-numbing and easily broken as all of their other games, and obviously you're crazy if you're playing those games for the writing, so basically it turns into a gussied up environment explorer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NeoSeeker posted:

Question: Is metro 2033 any good? I heard it was quite poo poo and seem to recall many people saying to just skip it and head for Last Light. I've been downloading basically every atmospheric game on my steam list, I've just started a new playthrough of Half-Life 1. So essentially I'm asking If 2033 is worth it because having 2 metro games is better than just 1 metro game.

I didn't even get that far in last light as I felt it was quite underwhelming without ranger mode and I refused to pay money for ranger mode. In a game full of game breaking glitches. I rented it, for the PS3 though, so I'm hoping they at least fixed the bug that froze NPCs.

Otherwise I'm looking for grim dark hardcore as gently caress survival-shooters and metro fits the bill with ranger mode. Also I have a PC that can run metro instead of using a poo poo console version.

I've tried to play 2033 like 4 times and every time I only make it a little ways past the first time you go outside. Like an hour into the game at the most. I can tell that it's a good game, but it just fails to draw me in every single time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Everything I hear about Valdis Story makes it sound really amateurish, which is really sad, because it has a lot of elements of games I love that don't really get made much anymore. Here's hoping that Igarashi's studio gets off the ground quickly and announces a title for PC.

It's pretty fun, I didn't find any part of it that frustrating, although I completely understand where people are coming from with their complaints. My only real complaint about it was how short it was. I thought it was much better than Guacamelee which seems to get almost universal praise. I also thought it was a lot more fun and not as hard as Pid, although that's not quite the same type of game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

grancheater posted:

Yeah, I think they also had rewards for Dynasty Warriors 8 at launch and it's still not on GMG. I have $20 in credit waiting, GMG.

I just signed up for Playfire so still figuring out how it works. I can't get credit for achievements that I got before they were rewards, correct? Like there are currently rewards for Sine Mora but I already have them, there's no way to reset them in Steam or anything like that right?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Like I said, anything that wasn't complete garbage?

oh wait...I guess they published original half life or something. Meh but who cares now. Sierra's backlog of IPs is poo poo in an outhouse so who gives a poo poo if they're "back"

They had some adventure game called Secrets of the Rainforest or something that I loved because I got to save all of the endangered species from the evil corporations and poachers.

Had totally awesome sprite work too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Dishonored, it was pretty good. I haven't done the Knife of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches yet, those'll be next. That's the 25th game I've beaten since the summer sale, and I've got 3 left to play from that sale. Although one of them is Walking Dead S2 so I'll probably wait until September or whenever the season finale comes out.

For a game that wants you to be stealthy it sure doesn't reward you for it. I feel like the detection system in Dishonored is pretty crap, and I lost my no-kill run despite not killing anyone, which means some physics glitch must have sent a sleeping body into water or off a ledge or something. It's not without some jank. I also wish I could've enjoyed the visuals more but if you do a low chaos run you pretty much need to have dark vision on all the time.

The cool thing about Dishonored is that if you want, you can do the high chaos playthrough in about 3 hours. It's pretty satisfying after doing a no kills stealth run. There are so many fun toys to kill groups of guys with, it's awesome.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MooCowlian posted:

Dishonoured is the pick of that lot, as long as you're okay with stealth rather than all out action.

Actually, I'll check on that. Did anyone else find the combat in that game pretty bad? Teleporting onto a roof and then jumping off and landing knife first on a dudes head was great, as was possessing half an army one at a time and walking them individually to the edge of something tall and then throwing them off, but when I pissed someone off, it stopped being any good. It felt messy and awkward, particularly towards the end when you started getting harder enemies who wouldn't just let you block and then behead them one by one. It was really satisfying trying to play stealth, and running away was kind of fun, but if I ever turned to fight it was just kind of bad. Was that just me?

I thought it was really fun. The sword fighting is obviously only intended to be used early in the game. I would wind blast a guy off a cliff, stop time and drop a razor trap into the middle of a pack, run to the next guy and backstab him, then if my stop time ran out and there were still guys around just blast them in the face or throw some explosives at them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Orv posted:

It's extremely rough in UI, combat and general control fidelity and you know it. Alright, not unplayable, but enough that a ton of people have bounced off it because of how it plays. It's a really good game despite that.

I played through it for the first time 2-3 years ago and it was fine. Installed one or two quality of life mods and had a good time with it. It's not like trying to play System Shock 2 or something like that where the moment it boots up you're just like, "what the gently caress?!"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Male Man posted:

I snagged Pid.

Turn back now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hogo Fogo posted:

Humble Jumbo Bundle 2

$1+
Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Complete
Deadlight
Galactic Civilizations 2

BTA:
Terraria
KING OF FIGHTERS XIII
Crusader Kings 2 just the base game + three unit dlcs.
¨
$15+
Age of Empires Legacy Bundle

These are individual Steam keys, just FYI.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Van Helsing seems pretty fun for the 15 seconds I can play it between it black screening for ~10 seconds or just crashing outright.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Metal Gear Rising is $10.49 on GameFly today.

I'm playing through this now and it's amazing. Just as good as any of Platinum's other games. It's very accessible too, even for people who aren't usually into this type of action game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Was just going by the directions I found on google :shrug:

Thanks for the response, hopefully I can figure it out.

I've had better success with this version than with the one he posted. I don't know what the differences are really, other than this one having a much nicer interface:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Wow Darkwind is pretty great for a strategic turn based car combat game.

Too bad everything else that isnt the strategic car combat stuff is absolute rear end. The interface to get into the action is atrocious.

I installed it for Playfire rewards last week and literally couldn't figure out how to play a game. I created my profile and then was just staring at this screen of the ugliest menus I've ever seen, none of which seemed to have any relationship to "play game".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Borderlands 2 is the fastest I've ever seen a game go from being really great to totally unfun bullshit so fast. At first the pacing is fast and the environments are really varied, expansive, and pretty. Then the enemies go from being fun to fight against to every single one being literally the worst bullet sponge ever put into a video game, each taking without exaggeration at least 2 full clips (or 1 and a half clips of straight headshots) of whatever gun you happen to be shooting to go down while displaying absolutely zero hit reaction animations. And by the way these same enemies can quickly two or three shot you so welcome to cover shooter hell.

Also, you need to beat the entire 30-50+ hour-per-playthrough game something like four or five complete times before you can max level a character and play with a complete "build."

Also, like has been said, the weapons look cool but are totally bland. The firing sound effects are about a quarter of the volume they need to be and the enemy bullet sponginess means every weapon feels incredibly weak. And would it have been too much to ask for a straight up full auto assault rifle that was also full auto when zoomed isntead of being forced into the lovely burst mode?

Also the drop rates for the "good" end game weapons make Korean MMOs look generous by comparison.

The entire game could have been saved with minimal effort, too. Instead of making enemies bullet sponges, just put a poo poo ton of weak ones on the battlefield for you to feel awesome mowing down and give you about 5 times more health so it would only be something you'd have to casually monitor instead of something you're absolutely terrified to lose a drop of. But nope. Have fun at max level holding down the trigger for 30 seconds a piece at every enemy you come across while backtracking and hiding for dear life.

You forgot to mention how ridiculously far apart everything is. Even in vehicles it takes 10 minutes to get anywhere, and god forbid you have a mission that forces you on foot so you get to progress at the unbelievably plodding run speed.

That game is a million times better if you just remove the lowest 3-4 tiers of loot quality, increase your run speed by 4x and your jump height by 2x.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're gonna drop money on a controller for PC gaming, just drop $30 on a wired Xbox 360 controller and never worry again about compatibility.

Eh, I have both and definitely prefer the DS4. For only $10 extra, I would definitely go with that. It's much more versatile (for example, I can use the Bluetooth to wirelessly play emulated SNES games on my tablet) and IMO a better overall controller.

To answer the original question, it's not as mindless plug-n-play as a wired 360 controller, but the driver/interface programs that have been made for it make it pretty easy. Sometimes I have to relaunch a game or the DS4 program or both to get everything working right, but most of the time it works with no fuss.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does the DS4 update the form factor at all? I have big hands and can't stand the older DS controllers. For example, my hands were big enough to find the original XBox Large controllers comfortable to hold, even if I prefer the revamped layout.

It does have a much better form factor than the DS3 and previous versions (all of which I loathed), although I did have to adjust the way I positioned it in my hands compared to the 360 controller. I don't have big hands though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I don't understand how what I'm looking at here is even remotely playable.

You need to be on a lot more drugs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kly posted:

I know its not steam but D3 and the expansion are both on sale right now, $20 each.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/game/diablo

Don't buy the game without the expansion, it's a shell of the experience. Aside from all of the good game modes being locked in the expansion, you won't be able to find anyone to play with without it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The funniest thing about the Tolkien rage is the posters pretending that there is fantasy writing that isn't dreck.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

I think the borderlands art style is ugly

Well they stole it from some guy after they interviewed him for a job and didn't hire him, so they can only take partial blame for it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mortimer posted:

haha what?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...n-the-industry/

Or just watch Codehunters and the opening scene of Borderlands back to back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Why do you guys have a category for trash? My categories are just "finished" and "unfinished", and "finished" includes anything I'll never play.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is still unnecessarily vague. its not handholding to just say here is the dodge move you should probably buy it.

Also even after you buy it there's absolutely no explanation of how it works or how you even use it. DW it's going to respond by saying "well it's in the move list" but I had no idea the game even included a move list until this thread talked about it.

That said, the dodge move is in no way necessary to beat the game on normal.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

It's funny because these complaints are exactly the same as the ones about the previous Borderlands games except now apparently they've gotten so bad that they're even losing the true believers.

E: for reference I played the poo poo out of the original but gave up on 2 after around 20 frustrating hours

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr E posted:

Not that I care that you don't like BL2, but holy poo poo stop playing a game before 20 hours if it's that frustrating. If it gets better past that point it's still not worth spending 20 hours to get there.

20 hours in a loot-based ARPG is nothing, especially when I had the experience with the previous game influencing my patience. That amount of time is basically, "maybe I just need to level up a bit more/maybe I just need a different gear spec/maybe I just need to try a different class".

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Niggurath posted:

There was a stream posted on the previous page that makes the game look dull as dishwater. Granted the guy playing could have just sucked at it, but it appeared to be very lovely environments and particle effects but combat with no real depth and what seemed to be incredibly dull enemy design. At most it might be Dark Souls in an aesthetic sense but the game play itself seemed very simple and dull.

Even if it is just good graphics with easy Souls-esque combat, that could be pretty fun. Like Darksiders for example did absolutely nothing novel or even particularly well, but was still decent and a success.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Unormal posted:

For the last two years, a couple other goons (Hand of Luke [co-creator of Caves of Qud with me] and Suncut [ridiculous artist]) have been working on a "pocket roguelike", and it just hit Steam!

It's a short-play-session roguelike designed to be accessible to players entirely new to the genre, but still challenging for veterans. Hope you guys enjoy it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

As a neutral 3rd party and someone who's been playing the beta of this, I'd just like to tell people that this game is fun as hell. Definitely recommend it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kin posted:

Er, what the gently caress is this poo poo Blizzard? Your battle.net servers are so busy i have to join a 16 minute queue to play my loving singleplayer game?

The queue time is never accurate and the only time it's ever been longer than like 1 minutes for me was during the first few hours of a new release.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

The writing in Unepic makes me kinda mad.

Just wait until you get to the final boss.

Like, I put up with a lot of bullshit in games, including a LOT of bullshit in Unepic because I love Metroidvania's, but holy gently caress was I not going to put up with that boss.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Movac posted:

Valkyria Chronicles store page is up. November 11, $20, 10% pre-order discount, includes all DLC. Doesn't look like there are any new features in the port.

Is this game not a strat RPG? I could've have sworn it was, but the screenshots make it look like a 3rd-person shooter.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's a hybrid strategy RPG/Third person shooter.

Just looked up a gameplay vid and holy poo poo this looks amazing. Like a more complex Battalion Wars.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rashomon posted:

Replaying Risk of Rain after this recent update, and this game is still awesome and hugely impressive for basically being made by two guys. The music is great, too. I really hope they do a Risk of Rain 2 with more levels, more items, and a somewhat more balanced progression of gameplay. (I feel like choosing your items should be the default, and unlocking new items for choice to be part of the progression, and the Artifact that is currently Command should do the opposite, randomizing items but opening up the whole pool to you). Also, without the 5x damage artifact the gameplay is a bit too slow. Other than that, this game rules.

I played three rounds last night (for the first time ever) and the game is intense in the best possible way. I only made it past the first teleporter once but it was really fun.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

Hamlet is abysmal. Wayward Manor is related to Neil Gaiman in some way, which may or may not spin your wheels, and financed with some private crowdfunding thing; no idea how it actually turned out.

Based only on your description, I am certain of how it turned out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, how can you not like McGriddles?

I have eaten a real ham, egg, cheese, English muffin sandwich.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

al-azad posted:

But McGriddles aren't English muffins, they're like some kind of pancake. Which still makes me feel queasy and bloated after I eat one, like my stomach is trying to filter sticky sweet syrup and a sponge-like material but the idea of a pancake, egg, and sausage sandwich is great.

It says a lot that McDonald's English muffins are so bad you don't even recognize them as English muffins.

Thank you for this one, took it for my roommate so I will have someone to play co-op with. I have been playing Risk of Rain and it owns even though it's really loving hard.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

McGriddles aren't English muffins, the whole gimmick is that the bun is a pancake with maple syrup in it. Psh, it's like you didn't even pay attention to their garish web ad campaign.

I thought we were talking about McMuffin's. McGriddles doesn't even register as a thing to me. :shobon:

• Locked thread