Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Digirat posted:

I was gifted hyper light drifter without knowing anything at all about it, and I'm really enjoying it. The surrealism combined with virtually no text whatsoever (not even numbers) works really well. I enjoy surreal settings and imagery, and the game accomplishes a lot with its low-res presentation. I like having no idea what's going on.

I've been hyping it ever since I started playing a few days ago, but it's one of my favorite games in years. I'm coming really close to 100%ing it and I love everything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Your list made me retroactively hate Doom and Darkest Dungeon.

Momodora is really good, though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm like 13 hours into Hyper Light Drifter and only just realized that the skins actually have different effects. 😮

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I haven't played this game in months and am in the south area. I would like to know more.

Well what made me realize it is one of the ones you get for completing one of the game's larger puzzles, it gives you an extra tick of health . But then I looked it up to see if the other ones do anything and they all do. They do stuff like halve the stamina needed for attacks, shorten the time between attacks, stuff like that. And it only takes one piece of the set to get the effect, so you can have 3 effects active at once.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gromit posted:

I wish I could tell what was wrong with Path of Exile. My friends like playing it when we have a LAN night and I play along but it's just a snooze-fest for me. I can't get excited about it in any way, and maybe it's how atrocious the loot is? Most of my gear is from 5 levels ago and still outclasses anything I else I see.
I'm still amazed at how good it looks and how much of it there is for something completely free, though.

Maybe because the combat is so bad that you might as well be playing a spreadsheet? I admittedly haven't played it in like three years, but I was excited by everything I read about the game and then got in game and it was just a complete bore.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

Nier makes you start over from the beginning if you die at the first boss. hahah.

git gud and all yeah sure but this is a waste of my time. finger hovering over the refund button.

Just play on normal or easy to get through it, then switch to whatever difficulty you want. It's well worth it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

so is nier going to be the new dark souls in the manner that any criticism is met with a wall of defensiveness? cuz the not auto-save thing is straight terrible, a perfect example of artificial and unnecessary difficulty.

The prologue thing is dumb but the game is good enough that people who don't play the game because of it are depriving themselves. I say this as someone who never played a Yoko Taro game and preordered purely because of Platinum.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The lack of a checkpoint does seem like one of those things that will get patched out in the first patch. Don't let it stop you from playing a great game, though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tsyni posted:

No autosaves. (and no saves in the prologue)

It does have automatic checkpoints at all subsequent bosses after the prologue though

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

Okay, hold on, because I'm confused. Can I save manually during the prologue section because I didn't see any save points? Is it a menu thing? For reference, the boss owned me on Normal so fast with the juggle-lock that the healing item couldn't even trigger during the time slow thing. E: Nier.
-
I love Brigador. I'm learning how to drive that silly Troubadour.

There are no saves at all during the prologue. Play it on easy if you want or just spam the hell out of the dodge move.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Kins posted:

They released at the same time as Overwatch, without the appeal of Overwatch, with worse/more grating marketing than Overwatch.

In addition, the game was in development hell for a while, and didn't escape from the experience unscathed. This is what it looked like and was called when it was first announced:

The important thing was that it was a bad game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deakul posted:

Unless the game changes dramatically with each playthrough then that's kind of dumb that story is locked behind that poo poo.

The first playthrough is from one character's perspective. The second playthrough is from another's, with about half of the scenes overlapping. The third playthrough takes place after the events of the first/second playthrough.

You're not actually playing the same game multiple times through, it's just presented in such a way that it can be described as multiple playthroughs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls 3 in the Humble sale. Is the season pass worth picking up?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

The DLC by most accounts was pretty disappointing this time around.

Ah cool, I'll just stick with the base game and buy the DLC if I really want something more.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

She Bangs the Drums posted:

hey if you like baby games Platinum did Metal Gear Rising :Revengeance which has a pretty basic system

I'm not ashamed to admit that while I liked Bayonetta, actually getting good at it was never appealing to me. The combat system is just too deep for my taste, or at least the game itself wasn't compelling enough to get me to sink the time in that getting good would have required. I beat it and think it's a good game, but I definitely liked stuff like MGR and Viewtiful Joe (if you count that) a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Soho Joe posted:

I'm gonna finish 100%ing Hollow Knight today, but what will scratch my exploration itch next?? I've played La-Mulana and Cave Story, and Steam is suggesting Rain World, Dust, and the Ori re-release.

Hyper Light Drifter. It's a Zelda-ish instead of a metroidvania, I know, but it's so so so good and it nails the exploration and puzzle mechanics of metroidvanias even if it doesn't have platforming.

• Locked thread