Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wilde Jagd posted:

rated 5, goldmine, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

So asking for a friend, does anyone have any good examples of game systems with interesting/deep social mechanics?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ars Magica uses a system of debate combat, but it's expressly unsuited for normal conversation.

The new Chronicle books for nWoD have a social influence system that is...interesting, if nothing else. It involves taking time and using different kinds of influence to try to open Doors, which allows you to get the subject to listen to you/do things. It's usually a fairly longterm effort without special bonuses.

Other than that, off the top of my head...can't think of much else.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

TurninTrix posted:

So asking for a friend, does anyone have any good examples of game systems with interesting/deep social mechanics?

Burning Wheel's got the Duel of Wits system, which basically gives argument and debate the same mechanical weight usually given to just physical combat.

Also, Fate's basic conflict system models any conflict whether physical or social through the same mechanics.

There's also Monsterhearts, where the social mechanic is largely based around gaining emotional leverage (Strings) on other people, which can be used for various things, including manipulation. It even allows for PC on PC manipulation without resorting to "social skills as mind control" like some systems do. Basically a player can expend a String to dangle an experience point in front of another player and say "My character would like your character to do something for them" and the targeted player can either do as they're told and take the point or decline and not get the XP. Definitely the most elegant approach to PvP manipulation in my opinion.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

At a con I bought the base set for Serpent's Tongue. I saw it in the game room and thought it looked cool. It was pitched to me a a RPG/ARG game. Didn't realize till after I got it it was also a CCG.

Did anyone else get this? I haven't even did a dry run with it, but it looks SO COOL!

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

TurninTrix posted:

You should check out A Dirty World. Its Stolze's One Roll Engine and an interesting part is physical and social combat work are treated the same way. You can essentially talk people into submission or be talked into an uncontrollable rage. Also it actually handles pvp well to an extent, you can have players attack each other without worrying about combat dude murdering everyone, though guns are still dangerous.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

BigRed0427 posted:

At a con I bought the base set for Serpent's Tongue. I saw it in the game room and thought it looked cool. It was pitched to me a a RPG/ARG game. Didn't realize till after I got it it was also a CCG.

Did anyone else get this? I haven't even did a dry run with it, but it looks SO COOL!

This has nothing to do with Smilin Sammy G.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Libertad! posted:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Sorry, this implies that Sammy is not with us at all times, smiling benevolently. Gonna have to burn you at the stake.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Darwinism posted:

Sorry, this implies that Sammy is not with us at all times, smiling benevolently. Gonna have to burn you at the stake.
BURN THE NON-BELIEVER!

______________/

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUmm-JZM0Js

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Look who's got an ask.fm!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I've been playing through Divinity: Original Sin, and it got me wondering about AP systems. Are there any PnP games that use an actual Action Point system like Fallout or Divinity?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I've been playing through Divinity: Original Sin, and it got me wondering about AP systems. Are there any PnP games that use an actual Action Point system like Fallout or Divinity?

The Dark Heresy reboot did, before they scrapped it. It was basically just a more granular version of the two Half actions you got in the original; what used to cost a Half action cost 2 AP and you got 4 per turn.

Now that you mention it, I'm kind of surprised that not many more games have tried something like it. The ability to just add or subtract AP seems like it would be a decent endrun around the whole action economy problem that a lot of games have.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Feng Shui has a form of it, where you determine how many Shots (action points) you get at the start of the turn, then whoever has the most goes first. Most actions cost 3 shots, and when the action has been resolved you check to see who has the most again until everyone's shots are spent and you move on to the next turn.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Less granular action economies aren't a bad thing if they fit gameplay. Particularly on the tabletop, it's often better to have simpler 'pieces' of design space, like a move+attack scheme. Easier to understand in play, and easier to balance in development.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
There's a Dragon Age RPG? And Green Ronin just released the third book "completing" the core rules?

I have a sinking feeling that I know the answer to this question already, but...is it any good?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Spincut posted:

There's a Dragon Age RPG? And Green Ronin just released the third book "completing" the core rules?

I have a sinking feeling that I know the answer to this question already, but...is it any good?
From what I've seen it's a decent but fairly generic fantasy RPG with a few nifty touches, most notably in the whole "stunt die" thing. (The base resolution system is to roll 2d6, but you roll a third die of a different color, which gives you points you can spend on extra "stunt" stuff for your action.) One thing people have complained about is that in the first boxed set you play general adventurers, and can't actually play a Grey Warden like in the video games.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Ewen Cluney posted:

From what I've seen it's a decent but fairly generic fantasy RPG with a few nifty touches, most notably in the whole "stunt die" thing. (The base resolution system is to roll 2d6, but you roll a third die of a different color, which gives you points you can spend on extra "stunt" stuff for your action.) One thing people have complained about is that in the first boxed set you play general adventurers, and can't actually play a Grey Warden like in the video games.

That actually sounds kinda cool. I'll check out the quick start stuff at least. Thanks!

In other news, what are people getting in the DTRPG Christmas in July sale? I think I'm going to pick up the Atomic Robo RPG and Double Cross, at least.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lynx Winters posted:

Feng Shui has a form of it, where you determine how many Shots (action points) you get at the start of the turn, then whoever has the most goes first. Most actions cost 3 shots, and when the action has been resolved you check to see who has the most again until everyone's shots are spent and you move on to the next turn.
____________/

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sammy posted:

Let's do some shots! Who's buying?
____________/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm so happy that something I made is getting so much mileage.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Error 404 posted:

____________/

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Error 404 posted:

____________/

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Error 404 posted:

____________/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Asymmetrikon posted:

____________/

This will haunt my dreams! :buddy:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Error 404 posted:

This will haunt my dreams! :buddy:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Does anybody have the Smilin Sammy G blank text balloon? I used to have it saved, but I lost it somehow.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
: You're in trouble, program. Why don't you make it easy on yourself? Who's your user?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Libertad! posted:

Does anybody have the Smilin Sammy G blank text balloon? I used to have it saved, but I lost it somehow.

_________/

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Libertad! posted:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Not infinitely recursive, voted 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So tonight my LGS did the first session of 5e organized play.

Two people showed up.

• Locked thread