Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So who can tell me more about Talislanta. Talislanta 4e looks like a lot of fun, but I have no archives to check F&F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

someone paid you to ask this didnt they
Nope!

I picked up the 2e book when I was a kid, but couldn't get into it. It wasn't rules-y enough. I was into AD&D, Torg, etc.

I looked it up, saw it was free now, and checked the 4e vs 5e differences. 4e looks more my style, so I've been reading it. I really like the system, at first blush anyway, and have started digging into the setting.

... Why? Is there something I'm missing :confused:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

winson is like that bird in the advertisements for the chocolate cereal except for instead of chocolate cereal it's talislanta and instead of a bird it's a dad
Oh. Well, I've missed that. :blush:

Honestly, it looks really solid to my 39-year-old eyes in a way it didn't when I was 15. I'm digging it a lot more than D&D 5e anyway.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

I have been a die hard Tal fan for ages, and occasionaly beat the drum for it around here. 4E is probably the most solid book they ever did, honestly the only thing 5E did was dial back the timeline (so people could play through the events they skipped) and add chargen. As a learning book 4e is certainly better, since the BIG BLUE was a one stop shop.

Folks interest in talislanta, btw, can get it all for free at https://www.talislanta.com - the author got tired of the RPG bullshit and just released his creation into the wild following a massive fan effort to scan all the old materials.

What are you looking to ask about? I am a font of lore.
Mostly - how's the system hold up? While I'm really fascinated by the way magic works, I'm a little worried it'd end up complicated and/or broken in practice. How does combat flow, with the intentions and active parries and whatnot?

I'm also kind of a mechanics guy, and I'm not sure how (if) the archetypes are balanced at all or even whether or not it matters.

Other than this Weight of Water thing, are there any adventures for it? Published, fan-made, whatever. If I want to run it in the future, I'd like to make things easy on myself.

Really, though, on a read-through, I'm very impressed. It's slick and light, and seems like it'd work a lot better out of the box than oldschool D&D ever did. It's also a lot better at explaining the game than the old 2e book (the one with the ... Thrall? ... on the cover with the greatsword) did.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

That's hilarious. "What is this 'making characters' bullshit? Talislanta 5E is nothing but Ultima Online on paper!"
Well, it's pretty much the same idea as Feng Shui.

Feng Shui with full character generation would be kinda weird. Same basic theory.

<--- not a grog, can just see the argument

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

Eh, people can burn their poo poo if they want I guess. The thing is people pretending like there is not a symbolic act at work there or that book burning doesn't have a history and cultural significance that they are emulating or invoking are a little weird to me. A lot of the response to the response has been "how dare you object to someone disposing of their property as they see fit" which is sort of missing the forest for the trees, I think.
Yeah, I don't get it.

Like, a guy on enworld tried to claim, unironically, that this wasn't edition war bullshit. And there's a whole lot of pearl-clutching about "how dare anyone get provoked by this deliberately provocative thing these angry nerds did."

It's like meta-trolling. Do something symbolic to troll and antagonize, then offended when people call you out for it, by claiming you were just... Uh... recycling your property? And that there's nothing significant or symbolic about it, so why u mad bro

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Remember, this is the hobby where a guy can write the Slayers Guide to Female Gamers, and it could be published by a fairly large gaming company, sold in physical form in actual stores, AND the guy still gets work.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Those comments :allears:
My faves (which had to go to grogs.txt, obviously) all justify the article's existence.

quote:

Name one game that is exclusively catered to men, the only sexism in gaming tends to either be negative or positive and is between players. Often girls getting a great deal of positive attention from male players, if they have an issue with it (which most of them have none and eat that poo poo like chocolate cake) they can simply leave or play with a different group. This article certainly came off as a joke, "FICTIONAL RAPE" i wonder if thats going to be a new thing pushed by the new wave feminists. Seriously no one was forcing her to play with him, he was in a weird socially retarded way probably trying to express his sexuality and that isnt illegal yet.

quote:

quote:

I dunnnnno, bards have told tales that our games is the rapey-est in town, a feat for young lordlings and ladies to follow, dare I say. Yet we rape liberally, and with gender equality. A fine night for male rape I say! HERE HERE! And as for pregnancy, why look fellow male adventure, you shall sire the child of destiny, you have but to roll a 6. Congratulations, you rolled a 6! A passing wizard has turned you into a woman, and raped you. You are now pregnant.
Get a magical shirt of +1 rape, helps a lot.

My fave:

quote:

Hmm, in real life people don't get to chose whether they are raped or harrassed or assaulted. Why the hell would players think that their PC's got to any more than they get to decide if they are attacked by a dragon or fall into the pit trap?
Because you see, terrible things just happen in D&D. It's not like there's some sort of "Master of Dungeons" running the show.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

inklesspen posted:

Fred Hicks has posted an apology.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

Also these sort of announcements are generally silly, but this place is not huge so I figure it is probably OK. After a little more than two years of modding, I am gonna pass on the star to someone else. It has been fun, but a bunch of stuff is shifting over in my personal life (kid is going into school, I am going back to jobhaving) and also two years seems like plenty to me as far as time served. I will stick around for games and stuff, and stick around until they pick a new mod for the forum, but this is basically a sort of thanks for being a good forum and being fun to be a janitor for for the last couple years.
I request you change your avatar back to the grumpy old troll.

Also, you've been a good mod. Give the keys to someone cool, plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Fine, you guys talked me into it. I don't know why you keep calling me "ettin" or "happyelf" though.

• Locked thread