Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

e:

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

So asking for a friend, does anyone have any good examples of game systems with interesting/deep social mechanics?

Burning Wheel's got the Duel of Wits system, which basically gives argument and debate the same mechanical weight usually given to just physical combat.

Also, Fate's basic conflict system models any conflict whether physical or social through the same mechanics.

There's also Monsterhearts, where the social mechanic is largely based around gaining emotional leverage (Strings) on other people, which can be used for various things, including manipulation. It even allows for PC on PC manipulation without resorting to "social skills as mind control" like some systems do. Basically a player can expend a String to dangle an experience point in front of another player and say "My character would like your character to do something for them" and the targeted player can either do as they're told and take the point or decline and not get the XP. Definitely the most elegant approach to PvP manipulation in my opinion.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

e: Yeah, probably no point in bringing up all the drama, especially since I wasn't around when most of it happened.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, I recall someone in this thread asking about a system for running Game of Thrones or something in that vein. Well, Luke Crane, the designer of Burning Wheel, the Mouse Guard RPG and Torchbearer was guest of honor at the con I was at over the weekend and at one point I recall asking him "Okay, I own Burning Wheel, but it's a big intimidating game, what do I do with it?" and he basically suggested watching an episode of Game Thrones, lifting the themes and characters from there, and just letting the players run rampant with it. It's actually a pretty perfect fot: you've got characters motivated by beliefs, a mini-game for social conflict and manipulation which often produces having to make compromises instead of either side winning or losing completely. And when swords are drawn and beliefs are at stake, you can use the really deadly scripted combat system.

• Locked thread