Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Sorry to interrupt the art festival, but i'm just repostin this from the other thread since people were interested:

Jimbozig posted:

I'd also like to get some conversation going about traps. I saw it get started up a couple pages back but then die off. A few of you have heard that I'm back to work on SBBQ and intending to publish it soon. Ferrinus is doing art for me and he's got a really cool cartoony style that's a great fit for the rather un-serious tone of the game, and I've got another goon lined up to do layout and editing if I can afford to pay her. So I'm excited about that.

But on my to-do list is include a bunch of sample traps. And I can't for the life of me think of good ones! I've got the hidden pit, the room filling with water/poison gas, the trash compactor from star wars, everything in the Indiana Jones movies ... and then I'm out of ideas. When I google around for ideas everything seems ridiculously contrived like some insane rube goldberg contraption. Simple Save or Ouch traps are okay, but a bit boring - they only serve to either give the trap-finder something to do, or to wear down party resources. How do I make traps more interesting without getting into "insane wizard with too much time on her hands" territory?

Also he posted some cool art ferrinus did for the project:

I personally think monsters-as-traps are an interesting angle, the problem is the same as most traps- they can easily become fiat gently caress you's from the GM, the classic example being the Mimic. For this reason I think traps should often be about risk and the players opting to take risks, as opposed to just springing something on them. ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Yeah I think traps as spectacle is a pretty solid usage, although i'd be cautious about playstyle there. When entering a room full of spinning golden blades, one player will start drawing up a chart of each blade's rotation rate, while another flings a grappling hook and tries and swing/swashbuckle their way through.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Less granular action economies aren't a bad thing if they fit gameplay. Particularly on the tabletop, it's often better to have simpler 'pieces' of design space, like a move+attack scheme. Easier to understand in play, and easier to balance in development.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
It's disappointing but it seems like Fred Hicks is a textbook peacemaker figure atm and that means he's going to come out with every cliche in the book in situations like this.

Gau posted:

Despite our occasional conflicts, Mikan is a cool dude and will be missed in the industry :(
It's TTRPG's loss and everyone else's gain.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 29, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Gau posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to repeat a joke on Something Awful.
As long as you don't repeat your own material.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Is that because it's worse, or because tabletop gaming doesn't actually have that many levels past the surface level?
It's a shallow pond. It's very hard to do anything in TTRPGs and not run into the bottom feeders- or the people who are ok with dealing with them, make excuses for them, defend them, ect, ect.

It's not as if there aren't terrible people in other areas, but you can ignore them, find your own neck of the woods, and do things you own way to a far greater degree, while still being part of the community, and everything that entails. TTRPG devs don't really have a community, it's a smaller, more network-like structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Guilty Spork posted:

The most cursory look at Pundit or Zak's blogs should be more than enough. At the very best a rational person would conclude "These guys are caught up in poo poo that we want no part of." It's just bizarre that anyone could put them on the same list as Ken Hite, Robin Laws, and S. John Ross, all of whom have, you know, websites that don't immediately scream "This was made by an rear end in a top hat."
Reminder that 5e is a deliberate effort to reach out to people who felt alienated or dispossessed by 4e.

• Locked thread