Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Antichrist Superstar is an insane record. The depth of that particular concept record is like a never ending rabbit-hole of crazy. I enjoy it more and more the older I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

M1TCH3LL posted:

Also, pretty much EVERYONE, even the teachers and the kids I didn't expect to know that rock was a genre of music, knew the myth about having a rib removed to suck himself off.

Now, if he could actually get his rib removed and suck himself off tomorrow, he'd probably be able to resurrect his career for at least a few months.

I remember that rumor going around from probably 1998-2003 or so. The amount of times I heard it brought up was crazy.

The other thing I'm remembering now was the backlash that happened right after Columbine (4/20/99). The hysteria over MM, Doom (and other video games) and the nefarious "trenchcoat mafia." Lots of people dropped the trenchcoats at my HS after that and the few that didn't were summarily harassed by other students and also the faculty (to the point of the principal sitting down at my lunch table and begging a student to stop wearing his).

M1TCH3LL posted:

Quite incredible looking back though, how popular and well known he was in the late 90s/early 00s.

Platypus Farm posted:

I've always wondered if it's because Manson was largely successful because in a lot of ways he embodied a good bit of the mid-90s zeitgeist almost perfectly...

In the US media at the time he had some credibility as the most dangerous thing for kids in the country (evil incarnate) and then 9/11 happened and that changed the narrative somewhat.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Madkal posted:

The thing about the other bands is that they usually tried to change their sound to stay relevant, but never strayed too far from what made them popular in the first place.
Two good examples of this of bands from the 90's that remained relevant by changing their sound would be Radiohead - who change their sound with every album but you can still tell it's a Radiohead song, and Deftones and change their sound often within the same album but still release solid albums.
With MM I think people just got bored with his shtick. The problem with being a shock rocker is that once the shock wears off, people lose interest and you have depend on the music to carry you. This is why people who are fans of the music will stick around but everyone else will just move on to the next thing.

The thing is, MM did change his sound, quite dramatically. Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals could not have been more different sounding. And really, Antichrist Superstar sounds pretty dramatically different then previous albums as well.

I feel like the problem really was that he didn't have anything to say to keep people's attention, and people forgot about him. Going from Antichrist Superstar to Mechanical Animals, he had the whole pale androgynous alien imagery, and the general weirdness of that period. ACS had the barrage of goth, horror-themed pseudo-industrial imagery, with medical prostheses and rotting buildings. What was the imagery or musical sound of Holy Wood? I remember at the time, as a teenager, the whole thing just seemed like a rehash of ACS and MA. There was an obsession with gun violence and guns, but that's nothing compared to "alien MM with her tits out". The record didn't sound as raw and messed up as ACS, nor as left-field genre-wise as MA, it was just kind of "generic MM album".

The one memorable idea from that period was that Holy Wood was going to be an actual book of fiction, but of course that never even came out. Manson just ran out of steam during Holy Wood, and people stopped caring, and apparently Manson stopped caring as well. He was working on a book that never got released, later a movie that never got released. Dude just kind of imploded and stopped making art anyone cared about. He just became a decadent drug addict.

He might have been able to pivot his career with successful book/movie releases, becoming some sort of Rob Zombie figure. But he didn't. :shrug:

edit: or poo poo: remember how Holy Wood was supposed to be part of a trilogy, but it was really a "prequel" to Mechanical Animals, which leads into ACS. Even though he'd spent the entirety of Mechanical Animals saying it was about the aftermath of ACS. And spent ACS saying it was actually a self-contained cycle, where the final song leads into the first song. oh brian warner.....

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 24, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Periodiko posted:

edit: or poo poo: remember how Holy Wood was supposed to be part of a trilogy, but it was really a "prequel" to Mechanical Animals, which leads into ACS. Even though he'd spent the entirety of Mechanical Animals saying it was about the aftermath of ACS. And spent ACS saying it was actually a self-contained cycle, where the final song leads into the first song. oh brian warner.....

Originally Holy Wood was actually the prequel, too. Which actually, thematically, makes way more sense. Holy Wood to ACS to MA works, but the "real" order that he claimed since then of them going in reverse chronological is just...weird.

The book/movie was supposed to make it all fit together, but then, as you said, neither of them happened. There's an entire site dedicated to this poo poo:

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/Triptych

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As far as rumours about Manson go, I always preferred the one that claimed he was in fact, "Paul" from The Wonder Years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The thing about NIN is that Trent composes everything himself and then tours with a band for a while. Manson pissed off all the good artists in his band, ran out of word-play to make witty observations of society with and ended up with his dick in his hand. Not to mention his live performances have tanked since the live DVD of the Holywood tours and just flat out arent worth watching.

NIN keep it interesting by keeping old stuff fresh and doing it well. poo poo even metallica, a band that hasnt produced anything remarkable in nearly 20 years are still around purely because they put a good amount of effort into doing good live shows.

A manson concert in 2014 would consist of a few old singles (beautiful people, dope show, dont like drugs, 1996/ACSS) and 7-8 new songs all performed half assedly by a fat dude who doesnt give a poo poo any more. I wouldnt pay any money for that again.

I actually attended an after party at one of his Sydney gigs as my friend was Gingerfish's webmaster back in the day. the whole time he just sat in a roped off area away from everyone that didnt have a vagina while the rest of the band tried to get laid. GF was nice enough to thank us for coming out (even tho the tickets were free) and seemed liked a nice enough dude. the rest of the band, the tour manager and mansons handler were all massive cunts though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
What was the story between ACS, MA, and HW supposed to be about? I keep hearing that they were a trilogy of concept albums but what was the connecting tissue?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought it was about an alien who comes to earth and becomes a star/celebrity, falls in love with a human girl who kills herself.

I also remember reading some geocities site about 10 years ago that had the theory that manson was using his music to highlight specific pieces of classic rock music throughout the 60s-80s, though I think it was reading way too much into MM just stealing from a bunch of good tunes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

What was the story between ACS, MA, and HW supposed to be about? I keep hearing that they were a trilogy of concept albums but what was the connecting tissue?

It's in the link I posted a few posts up. Here it is again, though:

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/Triptych

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 27, 2018

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
One of the weirdest things about listening to ACS at this point is how utterly garbage the guitars sound production-wise. Reznor was pretty godawful at guitar based production at the time (that 2wo album was also pretty bad compared to the original demos Halford leaked later). I still love those songs but boy that whole "record direct from the pedals, who needs amps?" thing does not sound good.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Angular Landbury posted:

One of the weirdest things about listening to ACS at this point is how utterly garbage the guitars sound production-wise. Reznor was pretty godawful at guitar based production at the time (that 2wo album was also pretty bad compared to the original demos Halford leaked later). I still love those songs but boy that whole "record direct from the pedals, who needs amps?" thing does not sound good.
It doesn't help that 75% of the guitar on that album is performed by the rhythm guitarist of a thrash-metal band. Anytime you hear a solo or something musically interesting, it's Scott Putesky or Sean Beavan. Anytime you hear a downtuned vacuum cleaner, it's Jeordie White.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Masonic Youth posted:

It doesn't help that 75% of the guitar on that album is performed by the rhythm guitarist of a thrash-metal band. Anytime you hear a solo or something musically interesting, it's Scott Putesky or Sean Beavan. Anytime you hear a downtuned vacuum cleaner, it's Jeordie White.

I WISH it sounded like a thrash metal band's rhythm guitar, there'd at least be some chuggy palm mutes or something cooler sounding than what we got. Daisy way overused the wah pedal but at least he was trying to do something that didn't sound like a 12 year old's first punk band.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Angular Landbury posted:

You're crazy, the guitars on ACS sound amazing. The production on that album is like the best thing about it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 26, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Angular Landbury posted:

(that 2wo album was also pretty bad compared to the original demos Halford leaked later).

Pretty bad, but the non-Reznor mixes sound like mid-late 90s Danzig.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Seems like he thought he was going to die at some point around MA, and get immortalized into John Lennon or Kurt Cobain.

Then it seems like around EM,DM he thought he would gain weight and overdose on drugs and become Elvis.

Instead he lived, and is becoming Yoko Ono.

What comes next who knows...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Where can I hear these 2wo demos?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There is 28 tracks of guitar on 1996 and ACS.

Twenty eight.

Thirdeye
May 2, 2006

Agaetis byrjun

Laserface posted:

There is 28 tracks of guitar on 1996 and ACS.

Twenty eight.

I can't even imagine how many tracks Trent used on The Fragile.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Periodiko posted:

What was the imagery or musical sound of Holy Wood? I remember at the time, as a teenager, the whole thing just seemed like a rehash of ACS and MA.

Manson and Reznor both lost it when the 90s ended. It's best if you pretend that Manson died after the last tour on Earth and that Trent disappeared after The Fragile never to be seen again, because their musical output since then has been embarrassing to say the least.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Organs posted:

Manson and Reznor both lost it when the 90s ended. It's best if you pretend that Manson died after the last tour on Earth and that Trent disappeared after The Fragile never to be seen again, because their musical output since then has been embarrassing to say the least.

Yeah, Trent's output has been so embarrassing that he got a loving Oscar for it :rolleyes:.

EDIT: I mean, if you dislike his output in this millenium, then that's that. But please don't pretend that he fell apart to the degree Manson did.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 26, 2014

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

TheJoker138 posted:

Where can I hear these 2wo demos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EIxwmsne5g

Halford used to have them on his solo webpage but they're long gone from there.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Organs posted:

Trent's work in the post 2000s is easily as good as his earlier work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Einstein posted:

Trent's work in the post 2000s is easily as good as his earlier work.

Yes, it sounds about the same to me.

Note: I was never a huge NIN fan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The latest album is a definite change in direction, although everything from With Teeth has been signalling that for a while.

Still, Reznor is way more talented than Manson could ever hope to be.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
You can still hear alot of the Fragile in alot of the stuff off of Hesitation Marks. Way more than Witha Teetha and Year Zero.

While he is definitely mellowing out (as he should be) the mixing/production/sound-design are still as good as ever.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I've always hovered around the peripherals of Manson's music. I agree with the notion that it was downhill after Golden age of grotesque, but I guess you can only keep up the facade for so long. He's sort of gone from quizical satanist to bizzaro Michael Jackson.

That said, if you ever what a :stare: read. Look up his biography.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sex Robot posted:

I've always hovered around the peripherals of Manson's music. I agree with the notion that it was downhill after Golden age of grotesque, but I guess you can only keep up the facade for so long. He's sort of gone from quizical satanist to bizzaro Michael Jackson.

That said, if you ever what a :stare: read. Look up his biography.

His biography is loving insane and everyone should read it. It's also rumored the Jack Off Jill song Author Unknown is about how full of poo poo the entire book is.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
His biography is easily the craziest thing Manson has ever put out. I wish he would write another one about the time from when that book came out (if I remember it stops around the time ACSS comes out) until now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Styles is too busy getting laid to write another.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
Manson chat, cool.

Mechanical Animals is an awesome, highly underrated album. I still remember listening to it for months back in school when it came out, it grew on me more and more. I still listen to it, not ashamed to say it's one of my top 10 albums of all time. As someone said, almost every song could potentially be a single. And poo poo that's not 'single-worthy' is even better, for example, 'Speed of Pain'.

AS is great as well, the funky production gives it that raw charm. I think this is where Holywood was flat somewhat, it was too polished and flat. Still some good songs on Holywood though ('The Nobodies' and 'Coma Black' for example), I feel that's the album where he was at his commercial peak.

I owned both Portrait and SLC but never really got into them. 'Cyclops' was the only Portait song that I really dug back in the day. Hate everything after Holywood, including Golden Age. I don't even care that he ran out of ideas lyrically and image-wise, it's the lovely songs that brought his downfall.

The Capitulator fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 29, 2014

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The wife and I saw Limp Bizkit during their last tour. It was a lot of fun. I'm not a huge fan by any means. It was enjoyable because they put on one hell of a show. I think that 90's bands will continue to tour with great success. For the same reason that 80's bands still tour.

The best part of the Lb show for me was when Fred pulled a kid on stage and let him watch the rest of the show from the side of the stage m

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 27, 2018

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

M1TCH3LL posted:

On a total aside: have Orgy reformed? I seem to recall an episode of (I think) MTV News where Kurt Loder was following Manson around on the Manson/Courtney Love tour and Twiggy made a comment in a club about Orgy being rubbish. I'm sure that's what happened. Anyway, somehow I ended up with Vapor Transmission soon after; that was on my listening list for a while after. They dropped off the face of the earth, but I swear I saw them advertised for somewhere quite recently (unless it was just advertising an orgy and I misread).

Yeah, the main dude from Orgy put together a new band and called it Orgy. They're dubstep now because everything has to be dubstep now.

Angular Landbury fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Angular Landbury posted:

Yeah, the main dude from Orgy put together a new band and called it Orgy. They're dubstep now because everything has to be dubstep now.

This quote brought to you by 2012

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Platypus Farm posted:

This quote brought to you by 2012

Don't worry, in 2016 I'm sure the new deal for 90's nu metal comebacks will be that goofy Avicii/Mumford mashup sound.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I guess, unless I missed someone, I'm the only one who dropped off the boat right at GOAG. That album just did nothing for me. There were maybe two songs that even got my attention, and that's it. Then again, this was coming off Holy Wood, which immediately replaced AS as my favorite thing he ever did. I even remember saying about 12 or 13 years ago that he'd never top that, and probably wouldn't even come close.

Sometimes it sucks to be right.

That said, this got me listening to Holy Wood again, and god drat this album :allears:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fenrir posted:

I guess, unless I missed someone, I'm the only one who dropped off the boat right at GAOG.
You and most everybody else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently John 5 is working with David Lee Roth now?!!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I just got done listening to ACS and reliving some fantastic mid-90s nostalgia.

Tourniquet is such a cool loving song

• Locked thread