Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Frankenstyle posted:

We'll just have to agree that what you said about Farscape is crazy, but Defiance has turned out to be quite good. The first year is heavy on the cheese, but this season has been pretty well done. I really don't follow the "great Acting" in BSG thing though. EJO and old Apollo did the best they could with what they had to work with, but everybody else was pretty painful to watch.

Oh, except the guy who played Baltar. He was hammy and over the top, but the fun he was having while doing it was kinda infectious.

can anyone else endorse defiance. i like pretty bad scifi but the few clips i saw of the first season looked so godawful i stayed the gently caress away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gaius baltar did nothing wrong

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dont think you are supposed to like him. hes cowardly, has no morality, and is pretty much the villain. he was there so you actually rooted for the gruff captain and the gruffer xo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kingcom posted:

Nah B5 is pretty good but half the cast are literally the worst actors and two out of 5 seasons are dogshit. Farscape has a better ratio of good/bad and has a better plot than your old man cold war analogy.

babylon 5 is possibly the most uneven tv show ever made. like some of the makeup and costumes and sets are amazing, some of the makeup and costumes and sets are completely loving awful. a few of the actors are terrific, possibly some of the best performances on a scifi tv show, and a few of the actors are unbelievably bad

it would have been unwatchable if the writing hadnt been consistently interesting. i think the first two seasons are actually pretty ok also. id rate season 5 as the worst

also i wish i had never known that the guy who plays garibaldi is a conservative libertarian parody irl

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kingcom posted:

The only reason I could ever sit through season 1 is to just skip to Londo and G'Kar scene since those two basically carry the show.

Season 5 has a interesting plot after you get past the garbage first half that goes nowhere and is pointless. Season 1 is purely just set up except the main character needs to be removed so a big chunk of the setup is wasted. Outside of Mordin scenes (and aforementioned Londo/G'Kar) everything is irrelevent and skippable. Delen is basically a completely different character after season 1 and most of the setup doesn't have much of a payoff outside of standalone episodes.

Also any time Chekov shows up is usually a pretty solid episode too.

goddamn i forgot how much mordin owned (got owned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZGAWcda2E

what are you gonna do mollari, huh? blow up the island?

my fav scene in any scifi show. goddamn was that a satisfying end to that plot

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

the show was super, super smug about telling you directly that yes, it did, IN FACT, have a super awesome clever airtight metaplot and oops welp yeah we couldn't come up with one sorry

"YOU WILL KNOW THE TRUTH"

"THEY HAVE A PLAN"

yadda yadda

yea thats my main gripe with battlestar. ronald moore wrote a lot of ds9 and had that excellent long interview about where voyager went wrong. he really should have known better

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

The problem is the show had enough going for it that it did not need this incoherent mystery and hinting at unsolvable puzzles and dropped plot lines. All the good things people remember about the series were grounded in it's premise, and in it's primary plot of humanity fleeing towards a new world, being nearly wiped out.

the bsg pilot of a decomissioned battleship with no munitions and the next few episodes of running from the cylons, losing a few ships each jump, running out of water, etc was loving incredible

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the reason why any of us care is because bsg was a great show overall but a lot of the lazy writing really stands out when under scrutiny

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I just got to the mutiny against Queen Admiral oval office and this is good television.

it is good television and honestly as much as i bitch about it, its a well produced television show with fantastic characters and more importantly fantastic actors who carry even the worst plots

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I can easily see how this can go sour because as rare as they've been, there have been some extremely dull filler episodes already, and one or two outright duds. I think that's why I dislike really long seasons. Season 2 is really good so far but 20 45 minute episodes is pretty loving bulky. BSG seems like it would have benefitted from being rebooted in 2013 instead of 2003, assuming all the players were the same.

yeah it's weird to imagine that i watched bsg in high school and then never watched the final two seasons for years because i was in college and doin things. 2005 TV was way different from now, for sure

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

god is real

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Sure, it was awesome, but then there's the 1.5 years of WELP

ppl try and defend the fifth season but the fact that everything straczynski made after babylon 5 was pretty bad i think proves that the man had one story to tell and that was babylon 5, so its a real shame we lost the original plan and full 5 seasons of the shadow war / liberation of earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the last episode was really good but iirc that was filmed during the 4th season, cause otherwise it would have been the last ep of the 4th season

• Locked thread