Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This has got to be better than watching poker on ESPN. Anyone who watches poker on TV is a stupid rear end in a top hat. No offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Reign Of Pain posted:

This has got to be better than watching poker on ESPN. Anyone who watches poker on TV is a stupid rear end in a top hat. No offense.

High Stakes Poker was actually good

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Haha, I was hoping for the butthurt thread to come back. :)

Reign Of Pain posted:

Agreed. Just watch the crazy bluffs and that one guy getting angry about people "playing poker wrong" on youtube.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

DeepQantas posted:

Agreed. Just watch the crazy bluffs and that one guy getting angry about people "playing poker wrong" on youtube.

dota is just like that except instead of it being infrequent 5 will people get angry as gently caress every game forever

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Dota confirmed 5x more real sport than poker.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did the fat guy win

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Valve hasn't released a new game since DOTA2 and they never will ever again.

I dont know why they can't just use the sack fulls of dollars they get from their stupid microtransitions on tf and dota to hire more people to work on the games people have been wanting more of for years. It's like they're devoting 100% of their talent to making hats.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I dont know why they can't just use the sack fulls of dollars they get from their stupid microtransitions on tf and dota to hire more people to work on the games people have been wanting more of for years. It's like they're devoting 100% of their talent to making hats.

Did you read the thread? Do you realize millions of idiots donated real dollars to watch the lamest nerds on campuses across the nation play the most unfun sperglord piece of poo poo in existence? Millions of dollars for free, for digital hats with completely arbitrary demand and supply? Why the gently caress would you make games when you have people willing to pay for digital party hats?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Did you read the thread? Do you realize millions of idiots donated real dollars to watch the lamest nerds on campuses across the nation play the most unfun sperglord piece of poo poo in existence? Millions of dollars for free, for digital hats with completely arbitrary demand and supply? Why the gently caress would you make games when you have people willing to pay for digital party hats?
Well yeah but the games still made money right? Use the microtransitions to fund the development of the games then make more money. It seems really straightforward.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
who won?

The answer is "No one".

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chinatown posted:

who won?

The answer is "No one".

China did, so congrats Chinatown

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

DeepQantas posted:

Dota confirmed 5x more real sport than poker.

I have independently verified this by thinking about it

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6-QP6e-hE

disclaimer: I have no idea what is going on in this video

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

No the actual, literal answer is "No one".

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i went to a game store the other day and they always have some ~esports~ thing playing on a giant tv and without fail the announcer is either a skinny 7ft tall twig or really goony looking and they're always swearing a lot i guess because it's the first time they have a chance to do it without mom telling them to watch their language.

that is my experience with esports

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"e-sports" :lol:

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
it's not a real sport unless unpaid college kids are getting concussions from it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ArbitraryC posted:

Well yeah but the games still made money right? Use the microtransitions to fund the development of the games then make more money. It seems really straightforward.

DOTA and TF are free to play lol

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I got enough cards during the summer sale to craft the summer card set together. Ended up getting some DOTA2 item of which only 300 will ever exist, and sold it for 400 dollars. The item was some robot head/hat.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
praise gaben

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
they got this lady doing nerd raps or something in the afterparty. http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti_afterparty

very cool imo

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

EA Sports posted:

they got this lady doing nerd raps or something in the afterparty. http://www.twitch.tv/dota2ti_afterparty

very cool imo

lol uh ok, somebody click this and report back, because frankly I'm disgusted this thing is even on. Did you know there are like 30 thousand lovely rear end nerds in one place and wheres the muslims now, when you need them?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

gently caress the ROW posted:

lol uh ok, somebody click this and report back, because frankly I'm disgusted this thing is even on. Did you know there are like 30 thousand lovely rear end nerds in one place and wheres the muslims now, when you need them?

It's bad.

edit- Emerging update, still really bad.

edit edit- It's Darude playing mediocre music and dancing like a moron while his hardware fails repeatedly. An improvement.

Harrower fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 22, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Real sport or not it's still more interesting to watch than golf or baseball or pretty much any actual sport.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

Real sport or not it's still more interesting to watch than golf or baseball or pretty much any actual sport.

haha not its not you loving nerd

what is wrong with your brain

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
baseball and golf come with a chance of physical injury other than heart attack so they're still cooler

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Chinatown posted:

haha not its not you loving nerd

what is wrong with your brain

Sorry man video games are more fun than sports. It's been that way for a while and now mainstream is starting to catch on.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sorry man video games are more fun than sports. It's been that way for a while and now mainstream is starting to catch on.

lol i know you are joking but its hilarious that there's got to be people out there who think this for real

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
As a prior "e-sports athlete" all I have to say is lmao this poo poo is gay as gently caress

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

billions watch sports

thousands watch games being played online

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

and the only people making money are gaben

& white chicks waiting for some saudi billionaire to subscribe to their twitch stream

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
dotes is legit cool if you just casually drift through max 2 games a day and sell all the stupid hats n poo poo on the market. I make about 15-20 bucks a month reliably depending on poo poo found, and spend that buying steam games on sale that i will probablt also not care about. point of story: playing dota buys all my steam games so i dont waste money on things i domt care about anyway. and its free. dota is free money.

also, in like june i ended up making so much money off the steam market so far this year that i had to give them my tax information lol

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ponce de Le0n posted:

lol i know you are joking but its hilarious that there's got to be people out there who think this for real

Seriously though, which sounds more exciting: A game where you try to hit a ball into a hole, or a game where people are shooting lighting bolts at each other.

Video games are designed to always have something happening. Ever watch a football game? I haven't, but every time I've flipped past one, everyone is just standing around instead of playing. In video games there's no whistles, no sitting around waiting for the next play to start. There's no ref to make a bad call. If something is boring or uninteresting it gets patched out. Really the only downside is that the players never fight outside the game, but that's really just a hockey thing anyway.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Seriously though, which sounds more exciting: A game where you try to hit a ball into a hole, or a game where people are shooting lighting bolts at each other.

Video games are designed to always have something happening. Ever watch a football game? I haven't, but every time I've flipped past one, everyone is just standing around instead of playing. In video games there's no whistles, no sitting around waiting for the next play to start. There's no ref to make a bad call. If something is boring or uninteresting it gets patched out. Really the only downside is that the players never fight outside the game, but that's really just a hockey thing anyway.

lol

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
my only experience spectating golf is being hungover but still too drunk to drive home at my friend's house when everyone else is asleep and i'm watching golf with his parents and want to die

on this basis i conclude golf is a bad spectator sport

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
videogames are more of a sport than the sports morons watch on TV like baseball and football and hockey and gold and tennis and running

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
tbh tho it's dumb and gay how a lot of games are trying to be the next ~e-sports~ thing because i can't think of any multiplayer games in the past few years where people aren't harassed constantly by some 14 year olds who want to make a career out of playing video games

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Cantv posted:

dotes is legit cool if you just casually drift through max 2 games a day and sell all the stupid hats n poo poo on the market. I make about 15-20 bucks a month reliably depending on poo poo found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6OGtK1MDlM

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
yeah see? when people feel the need to brag about the scraps they make doing something x amount of times each day i stop thinking game and start thinking job which is hella lame. same with the star citizen nerds bragging about making $100 flipping ships and dumb poo poo like that. if i wanted to make money flipping i'd do day trading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah see? when people feel the need to brag about the scraps they make doing something x amount of times each day i stop thinking game and start thinking job which is hella lame. same with the star citizen nerds bragging about making $100 flipping ships and dumb poo poo like that. if i wanted to make money flipping i'd do day trading

look at mr moneybags here with his job that pays more than $20 a month

• Locked thread