Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nosre posted:

I'm 99% sure I read advice on SA to never attack the little NPC bases, cause doing so raises your Victory Points and matches you up with tougher opponents. Maybe it was in the CoC thread before this split off?

Matchmaking is done purely off VPs so that is a potential downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So a few days with tanks and my 25% troop health statues was pretty good, tanks seem pretty OP without medics. I ended up with enough red stones to craft a MP and got a 29% troop damage :vince: Now I'm sitting at 7% TH, 11% TH, 29% TD, 8% RR, 8% RR. I have a bunch of Ice pieces but wont be making one of them for a while, and I have been steadily accumulating terrible green shards to turn into powder.

Is there a limit to the number of shards or power you can hold? Is it 99?

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

jm20 posted:

Is there a limit to the number of shards or power you can hold? Is it 99?

It's 9 million.

http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/219660-yesup-s-Ultimate-Guide-to-Power-Stones-and-Statues

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Matchmaking is done purely off VPs so that is a potential downside.

I agree, that's unfortunate. I popped like 10 of them to test my own theory last night, however, and within a few hours had half a dozen 'Village lost' and a bunch more humans targets to choose from. I'm up to 19 human bases on my map at the moment, from the 11 I was down to.

So yea, I think going through a bunch of the NPC bases is going to be a necessary evil once in a while when you need the targets.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Its easy resources too. And of course it increases ones gold income.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Real quick summary of this wall o :words:: Boom is different from Clash in that instead of spending 5-15 minutes clicking Next, you may spend 5-15 minutes scouting and test-attacking bases to get guaranteed huge rewards, then chain-raiding bases (AI or player) back to back because any units you keep will carry over between fights while reinforcements build. AI bases are generally easier, so you can attack them while larger chunks of your army reinforce. You can raid nonstop here, with a huge degree of control over unit behavior backed up by Bigass Gunboat Guns.

I don't have time to do a true-effort post update to the OP yet, but holding back your VPs is really pointless and hurts you. I'm HQ12, Level 29, beelining for HQ13 for sweet sweet rockets and a clear-cut island. :siren:At 200VP you get 300 gems:siren: which is a crazy and awesome windfall. You want that. It's easier than you think, you can do it.

I'm currently ~208 VP* and I currently have targets on my map right now who are VP 164 and lower. They have huge rewards so eventually I'll get around to them, but right now, their bases and levels are higher than mine and their defenses are good. I know they will fall, though, because that's how I've been leveling up; waiting till I can crack the bases with huge rewards, or sometimes just saving them because I don't need such huge amounts; I have two 100k+ stone reward bases. I don't need that much stone right now, but when I do, that person's loot will be sitting there.

My point is that at least until you hit HQ13 (because that's all I know, heh) your VP matters very little. Many people lose out on easy AI kills and player targets who are actually raidable. You want higher VP targets because they have more loot, so you can spend time scouting their base, making test attacks to see what's your best approach, and if need be you can reinforce from your test attacks and attack AI bases in the meanwhile. Dr. Terror stages 1-6 for me are free resources and crystals.

Also: Magma Crystals take 100% priority. I currently rock +40% damage and +22% health, all the time, across 5 statues (my MP is only 18% DT; 28%, wow!) with a sixth statue slot that I use for whatever; right now it's +9% defensive building damage and displayed right on my beach to scare people with purple numbers. I never had so many scouts without attacks, though being HQ12 with a boom cannon and all L10+ snipers helps.

Here's my general Boom session when I have 10-15 minutes to kill and am not just setting an upgrade (also at this point I run L1 tanks + L8 Riflemen, mix varies on whim and gold but at least 2 tanks):

+ Check home base for upgrades/research I want to aim for
+ Check my Armory to confirm my arty's current damage to know how many HP I can 2-3 shot
+ Scout bases to identify bases where I can 2-3 shot critical structures with Arty and Barrages, or where critical structures are being upgraded, or where buildings are just placed badly and I can flare to an open shot on HQ after breaking key defenses to open that shot
+ Run a couple of test attacks to see if I can roll a tank through a minefield then rush riflemen behind it so the tank stays alive, the riflemen stay alive, and I don't have to Barrage minefields
- I do spend several thousand gold retreating and re-attacking without any casualities, admittedly, but the rewards + my huts keep me flush (also my vault is 1 below maxed)
+ If I need to reinforce my Riflemen, I clear AI bases while I wait with my tank corps/minimal riflemen
+ Stomp the poo poo out of aforementioned bases (I'm putting together a pictorial guide on this, but I'm lazy; I have a shitload of screenshots on my phone of battles at various points to show how what look like tough bases are really not)
+ Profit
+ Dump profits into my artillery first, then max out other upgrades
+ I make a conscious effort to never collect resources unless I'm about to upgrade/stay online to raid/otherwise need them; I check at least once a day and iirc all econ buildings have storage for like 24 hours before they get full
+ Always Pump HQ > If I'm level locked, I'll do whatever I feel has a gap/eats the most resources
+ (Tank-specific) Hold back on upgrading your landing craft past 12 slots (arguably past 10) except for one that you will try to get to 16 to hold two tanks (I just did this)
+ (Tank-specific) Keep your sixth landing craft at 8 slots until you feel like boosting it, and leave it as a dedicated tank craft

* I was ~215 when I logged off this morning. All the VP I lost were due to the AI islands I chain-raided, except for one attack which happened to cost me 1.5k of every resource. OUCH!

And here's my HQ and base layout for anyone curious. I subscribe to the "gently caress bases with snipers around HQ, that poo poo ain't worth it" mentality, seems to work so far. I get raided less with more resources at risk than I did before, but purely anecdotal.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 31, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I have my base right up against the docks. Stops flanks from that side. But I still get beat by tanks. Most attacks come straight from the beach. Personally, I flank to whatever side has the weakest defense, where I can use my gunboat to clear one or two cannons and let my tanks take the rest.

People who segregate their economy buildings are easy to roll through. So much extra energy!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

My center is leveling up to 8 as I write this. Do I just warrior rush until I get tanks?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Warrior Rush works well at 8 but won't last you up until tanks against any competently built base, if they have a glaring weak side to their defense then by all means send in the hammers, but against a well built base Heavies/Zookas will go a lot further.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Warrior Rush works well at 8 but won't last you up until tanks against any competently built base, if they have a glaring weak side to their defense then by all means send in the hammers, but against a well built base Heavies/Zookas will go a lot further.

What is a good ratio of heavies to zookas?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I used 2x2 heavies, and 2x5 zookas before eventually expanded to 2x3 heavies and 3x6 zookas. Once I got tanks :stare: I basically stopped using everything else.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

No joke, Riflemen can also pull work as tanks for zookas, though obviously there will be different things to avoid (e.g. getting in range of flamers at all and getting close to MGs). The tradeoff is faster building-melting for lower tank-life, but the range helps them avoid some stuff heavies can't (like attacking econ buildings without taking damage from the defense building behind the econ) and they reinforce MUCH faster. Losing 2 heavies sucks, and losing 12 riflemen may seem like a big hit but spread across 4+ boats, it's anywhere from 2m-6m refill, and you can reinforce between battles while you raid bases back to back (especially AI bases) cause you lost a smaller fraction of your tank-line to keep your zookas safe.

Not saying better or even as-useful, just saying there are lot of different configurations that can work as long as you understand the range of your troops. There are some bases without any way to crack with warriors due to too many defenses covering HQ; however, on some of those same bases, you can Gunboat and/or Shockbomb-and-awe your way to an area that you can flare riflemen to because the defenses only cover melee-range and short range (warriors and heavies, respectively) but fall juuust short of Riflemen (medium range, I think about 3-4 tiles, maybe 5, whatever flamers are) while zookas stay back at about tank range (6-7 tiles).

Sidenote on ranges: Gromdul is correct! You CAN shoot an MG without return fire with a tank if you can get them to stay perfectly 90 degree from the center (or at least directly below, following the bottom-most corner of the MG on your screen). They may outrange in general but I'm noticing some weird pathing and targetting changes with my tanks, so I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding how they aggro or what, but I have a replay I'll screenshot where a guy rolled up to my beach MG with a single tank, with zero recourse (the MG is facing away from the tank while it gets shelled).

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 1, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Interesting.

I love hordes of riflemen. I used them quite a bit. Sometimes with heavies, more more often just all rifles.

(before I got tanks)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So before you guys went to tanks all the time were you mixing up your armies based on what you saw in a base you wanted to attack or did you always have your boats loaded?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Sometimes I change my army based on what I see still. Often I change it after a failed attack.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Here's the MG getting outranged by a (lone) tank:

vulturesrow posted:

So before you guys went to tanks all the time were you mixing up your armies based on what you saw in a base you wanted to attack or did you always have your boats loaded?

Personally I look around for what I think my current boats can kill first. Then after a fight with them, while reinforcing losses and scouting other bases, if I see a base that's better with a different unit combo, I cancel my reinforcements and replace them. It's a 100% refund either way, you only lose time (which may or may not matter if we're talking about a boat wiped empty anyway).

All this talk about Heavies reminded me that Heavies are actually 4 slots; for some reason I thought they were more. I need to get all my boats to 12 slots. My raids are feeling a little lackluster right now with 16/10/10/10/10/8 at ~215 VP. I'm so close to HQ13 (less than 200 exp from level 30) but I'm starting to feel my smaller army size against some of the bases I'm seeing. I should just run with all 7 tanks more often, ha.

Also, for Tankchat, I'll generally raid with tanks till they're all dead. Even raiding with 6 tanks while the 7th reinforces, then I'll fill in those losses with Riflemen or whatever until I'm wiped, then I'll cancel all the riflemen and replace them with tanks since I'm getting offline anyway. This way I always have a fresh set of tanks to mess around with.

Unless I blew it all on a bad set of repeat raids in which case hey, a fresh set of riflemen!

E: mother of god flamethrowers destroy riflemen

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 2, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
68 riflemen is hilarious.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gromdul posted:

68 riflemen is hilarious.

Truly the barching of the boom world

E: Am I missing something or is there no way to watch my own attack replays? Cause that combined with the lack of a base editor makes me sad.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 2, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I built my first masterpiece statue. Green with +23% resource bonus for all resources. I scrapped my +8% gunboat energy statue for it.

Still having fun with 68 riflemen. They're great for almost everything. I suffer d-day like losses when attacking player bases, about 50% casualties. But even then it's only 12k and 6 minutes to refill my landing craft. There are a few bases where I'd prefer tanks or warriors. I just lost a resource base that has 3 flamers and 3 machine guns, which would be doable with tanks easily, and warriors with shock bombs. I might try it with riflemen because for the lulz and the cost of failure is low.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I've pushed upgrade on HQ12, looking forward to my new boat. I have no updates on statues, I have been having a string of bad luck with the smaller two ones.

HQ11 VP184

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

gromdul posted:

I built my first masterpiece statue. Green with +23% resource bonus for all resources. I scrapped my +8% gunboat energy statue for it.

Still having fun with 68 riflemen. They're great for almost everything. I suffer d-day like losses when attacking player bases, about 50% casualties. But even then it's only 12k and 6 minutes to refill my landing craft. There are a few bases where I'd prefer tanks or warriors. I just lost a resource base that has 3 flamers and 3 machine guns, which would be doable with tanks easily, and warriors with shock bombs. I might try it with riflemen because for the lulz and the cost of failure is low.

I've really taken to riflemen tanking for zooka (I'm HQ8 right now). As you said, the best part is being able to quickly and cheaply replace them. I'm building my 5th boat right now and once I do a few upgrades I might try mass riflemen.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

:stare:

Only downside is that I didn't know you can't have two masterpieces of the same kind. Ultimately didn't matter since I smashed a guardian for my seventh crystal anyway.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Ok I pushed go on HQ13. I believe I can do offense only until HQ16, but I am not sure about building costs later on, so far so good. I found another goon Stahlregen (sup Evegoon) on my map, and have been saving him to crush his spirits.

LC: 16,16,16,16,16,15
Statues: TD 29%, TH 11%, TH 9%, GBE 11%, PSC 28%, RR 41%

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I feel weird posting so much in my own thread, but at the same time, I genuinely enjoy the combat, and despite the lack of a base editor I still enjoy calculating different defenses. It's A Fun Game. I like writing about it.

HQ14, Level 32, almost 33. Highest Residence is 7, trying to bump up my storages to 1 mill capacity per type. Really don't want to waste time upgrading my stone storage, but probably have to. Damned rocks. I'm about to change my layout to have my base more centrally located, but at the farthest point from the beach, if that makes sense.

Highest sniper is 14, highest mortar is 12. One of each highest. MGs are pathetically weak. Gunboat is 13 (36 base energy) and LC are 16/13/12/12/12/12.

Statues are TD 31%, TD 12%, TD 10%, TH 12%, GE 11%, GE 32% < maximum :killdozer: once I can replace the TH, but 12% is nice as a buffer. I'd prefer a single masterpiece for health. Not sure on that 11% GE either, might replace with a reward guy if I roll a big one since just upgrading econ buildings is huuuuge (L7 residence is double the income of L5, realizing that makes me want to focus on econ again so I can passively fill in all my lower-level upgrades without raiding for huge chunks of resources.

My armory is lagging, I think. I just got L9 Riflemen and L5 Warriors finished on my L8 armory. I see people around my experience level rolling with L10 warriors. I want that.

Total RealMoney spent: :10bux: :suicide:

or:

Shazbot On Diamonds and HQ Rushing

:10bux: gets you 1200 diamonds. I thought to myself, "Hey, it's like throwing some money at an arcade game, and I haven't done that in forever!"

Let me be clear: I wasted all 1200. By that I mean I've hit 0 diamonds every HQ level since at least HQ12 and have in some way used diamonds to rush my way to HQ14. The point is that you don't need to spend money unless you wanna go fast. You get a huge chunk of diamonds from achievements, the most notable one being the 300d reward for 200 VP (next breakpoint is 600VP). Building a base that gets people to attack you is what you want; whether you win or lose, maximize your base for killing the poo poo out of units, because that gives you diamonds. Keep the sub running too wherever you can find diamonds, and about the only thing I prioritize over a diamond is magma or dark crystals; those are essentially priceless, or at least I value them as such.

The other point is that if you can make it to HQ11 (for the tanks) without spending any diamonds, you will take longer to get to HQ11 but every diamond will become infinitely more valuable to you as things take longer. I deeply regret thinking it was a good idea to rush HQ with diamonds early. Very bad advice. I should update the OP. Or someone else should harvest this thread and make a better OP, ha.

Ultimately the game seems really flexible in how you want to advance, which I really like. I'm not sure if I'm just at TH7 x2 in terms of Clash or what, but the fact that I can work on breaking the same opponents over time with a known raid reward that's guaranteed combined with the combat and base building makes it feel like a casual MMO*-RTS-Puzzle-TD game that would keep my interest. Sometimes I figure out how to rush more effectively and wipe a few bases, sometimes I can't figure out what to do and just leave the game upgrading my LC and stuff without raiding unless I see some easy AI bases or something.

E: *or it would if they added goddamn clans and chat, that is

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 20, 2014

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Just hit HQ13 today.

Not in screen but my LC are 14/12/12/10/10/8
Combined: 18% TD, 9% TH, 11% GE

If I saw my base come up, I'd attack it. It's not a good base.

I focused on my armory and econ building almost exclusively until maybe HQ10 when people with tanks started attacking me. My defenses are still terrible but they were much worse. What you see in the screenshot is what I've gotten to with pretty much nonstop defense upgrading with breaks only to increase storage to level my HQ.

Loving the hell out of the game. It's a lot more laid back than clash of clans and the give you diamonds at a nice rate. I haven't spent any money and I rarely rush anything so I'm sitting on a nice pile of diamonds. My biggest diamond expenditure was to rush a barrage upgrade by 2.5 hours (30-40ish diamonds) because I was sitting on 700k gold and didn't want to risk losing it. Other than that I see anything over 15-20 as not worth it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Why does everyone leave those boom mines out in the open? I prefer to hide them in the up-center tiles behind tall (or wide) buildings so that the attackers drive their tank, or heavy, or tribals head-first into them.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
They're a deterrent. You either have to waste gunboat energy to shell them or try to go around them. Or ignore them if you are swarming with riflemen.

I have hid them behind snipers too. It's a gimmick that rarely mattered. Mine are currently on the left and right flank. Exposed.

Just keep them, and all mines, away from structures that are commonly shelled, like the boom cannon and rocket launcher.

Nothing will stop all raids. When I am raided its by a player who is higher level with higher level troops.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

HQ15 in a day, wewt.

That's my current layout; boats are 16/13/12/12/12/12 still. Mines are behind each statue head and for some reason show up WAY more in the screenshot; in game, it gets quite a few people to lose out on lots of zookas. Best successful attack on me yesterday was 6 tanks with 8 medics, heh.

Raiding for big-ticket stuff got easier when I realized spending power powder on TD and GE means most bases that were only partially susceptible to warrior/riflemen rushes are now super-drat-vulnerable.

So far I've ground down every masterpiece except for the two I have, with 21 powder stocked up. I started with 24 and used 1 on TD alone (which was devastating on its own) just to see what difference it made, and then when I was ready to raid for HQ15 resources I popped TD + GE (31% and 32%, respectively). I ended up crushing so many bases between smokescreen/riflemen and smokescreen/warriors (gotta admit the warriors were better for sheer killing during the windows I could shockbomb for them) that I only had to spend diamonds for ~80k stone, which was only an issue because I forgot to check my stone storage capacity until I already had 500k of each resource stored (loving stone).

I cannot get past Terror Stage 9 yet. Not sure if I'm just not committing enough or what. Argh, forgot to try it with powders running...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

For some reason playing STar Wars: Commander gave me the itch to open up Boom Beach. Waiting for player level 18 so I can hit my next HQ upgrade. Hope you keep going with the big writeups S.T.C.A., I do enjoy reading them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So this base just showed up for me and it's the best one I've found yet. What's my gameplan for taking it down? I'm HQ10, haven't upgraded warriors yet at all.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Absolutely none of their defenses cover the back of their HQ. Deploy all your troops on the far left side of the beach then walk them around behind the HQ by flaring the top corner of the jungle, then the middle right.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ephphatha posted:

Absolutely none of their defenses cover the back of their HQ. Deploy all your troops on the far left side of the beach then walk them around behind the HQ by flaring the top corner of the jungle, then the middle right.

Right which is why I was wondering if warriors were the best choice.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

vulturesrow posted:

80% of my attacks are leading 60 riflemen through the forest around the back of people's bases

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

You can wreck it with what you had in that screencap. The thing to be aware of is flare timing and positioning. Get a feel for launching another flare as the other one runs out/as they reach a point. For example:

Deploy all your troops into the diamond.

Flare in the 1-circle, then as your guys approach it, flare above where the 2-arrow is; the goal here is to sidestep that flamer that will destroy you.

To clarify, the 2-arrow area is offscreen; that screenshot cuts off the top of the map, which is where you want to get to (the topmost area) because your troops will basically hug the area next to the diamond to reach the 1-circle, then hug the side of the map (sidestepping the flamer) to reach the 2-arrow flare, if you placed it high enough and close enough to the map's edge.

Once you reach the 2-arrow area, your troops will be OK, but I'd flare to the 3-circle so that they start to move towards HQ with even less risk. Fire a fourth flare at HQ to end it faster (after they reach the 3-circle).

The problem with that base is super, super lovely placement of the sniper towers. And all defense really. That guy must think it's a good idea to drop VP or just be new.

I'll do a writeup with what I learned soon. I unlocked HQ16 but haven't had a chance to farm the 1mil+ resources to actually GET HQ16. Really fun game still, though it definitely takes more and more time to grind, but my economy is strong enough that daily I get enough resources to upgrade at least one thing with minimal effort (we're talking like, I kill maybe 1 or 2 AI bases and it gives me enough resources to round out my LC or whatever).

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 26, 2014

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Zookas move slower than riflemen, it will create problems. Save your gold, go all riflemen.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
I have found that the riflemen are pretty much the best unit. Just got medics unlocked too and they seem to be pretty awesome in certain situations, although there are times when I wished I just had another two boatloads of riflemen shooting at things. Also they take ten minutes each to train, and they don't follow flares, so it is pretty annoying when one just stands there and gets popped by a sniper tower when I am trying to re-position my dudes.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gromdul posted:

Zookas move slower than riflemen, it will create problems. Save your gold, go all riflemen.

Also this. I pretty much use only:

All riflemen
All warriors
Tanks + medics (this is becoming my main force)
Very rarely, riflemen + medics (usually when I blew up most of my tanks or have a bunch of weird ai maps to clear that are too anti-tank but even then, the medics do nothing because a cannon will kill a rifleman outright)

That said, heavy + zooks still seems like the strongest force for sustained damage, based on what I've seen from people raiding me. I don't like it because of the downtime between fights if I lose too many of either. If I practiced with them more I may change my mind, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 26, 2014

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Alright, it has indeed been a while since I did a :words: on Boom Beach.

Current base layout and general stats:

LC: 16/16/15/15/14/13

Statues: TD +31%/+12%/+10%, TH +16%, GBE +31%/+14%, RR +40%, 42 powder in storage

The gigantic, gaping weakspot is the north-west side of my base (flanking through that new-growth jungle). I've ran this since right after I made my last HQ-update post (looking at the layout in that one made me realize how bad it is) and I gotta say, this is way better. I typically have a better-than-2:1 ratio of players scouting:successfully attacking. I don't know if that's good or not, but getting raided doesn't hurt.

The statues hide a boom mine and some more normal mines. People still march through it, but it's rarer now that someone loses a huge portion of their forces to it.

The layout could certainly be better. I have done zero checks on Boom Beach Builder or whatever the equivalent to the Clash base builder is. Part of that is because once I finally grind out the million-plus wood and stone for HQ16, I'll have a pair of rockets and a more symmetrical layout. Another part is the whole I don't get raided enough to care to fix it part.

There are lot of issues with it but the core layout of the HQ, boom cannons, and sniper nests is really strong. I ripped that off someone else who it took me forever to crack. Also, there's very little 'free' energy on that layout; almost everything requires my attacker to eat damage while killing buildings or spend energy to stunbomb my outer defenses (in addition to the default 'welp shell the boom cannons from the boat' approach).

I been playing a lot less lately but my economy buildings let me upgrade the stuff I've had lagging behind by just checking each day and starting an upgrade. Lately I've had to clear 1-2 ai bases to round out the wood or stone, so I'm definitely approaching a point where any upgrades will require me to actually sit down and raid for a while or hope I can build up strong enough D to store resources.

Power Powder is interesting. I use it sparingly (I think I've spent a total of 7 over three boosting sessions) just because of the aforementioned switch to Tanks + Medics (running 6 of each right now until I finish getting all my LC to 16). I feel like using powder with all riflemen or warriors is the way to go; I say this on the basis of boosting my TD masterpiece for sure, maybe GBE for extra utility, and maaaaaaybe boosting RR. I only boosted RR once, and while it was a lot of money, I realized it's still only an extra 40% RR for 3 hours.

Anyway, the idea is that the boosted damage is best utilized by constant attacking. If I lose a quarter of my riflemen or most of my warriors, I'm generally down for 5-15 minutes during my boost, versus losing a tank, which takes out 35 minutes of my boost. I will say that in the case of Riflemen and Tanks (not so much warriors) you can afford to chain-raid more easily with a depleted force while you reinforce, so there's that, but that's still why I like riflemen more.

RennZero posted:

I have found that the riflemen are pretty much the best unit. Just got medics unlocked too and they seem to be pretty awesome in certain situations, although there are times when I wished I just had another two boatloads of riflemen shooting at things. Also they take ten minutes each to train, and they don't follow flares, so it is pretty annoying when one just stands there and gets popped by a sniper tower when I am trying to re-position my dudes.

I agree that in general, Riflemen seem better to be used alone than with medics. There are few bases in my experience where a medic will actually reduce the slaughter of a significant number of riflemen, but I also haven't tried since I got 6 medics; I've only tried with 3 and I gotta say, 6 medics makes a huge difference for tanks, so now you got me thinking. If I have a chance to try, I'll report back.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Updated the OP to make it slightly less awful. If anyone has anything to add or update, please chime in, especially if there's another good place to read about BB.

If a mod could update the icon to Cellphone games, I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I need to start learning about statues. I have two green ones up but I know those arent very good. And thanks for all the words S.T.C.A.

• Locked thread