Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Here is my current base.
It does relatively well. Stops most warrior raids, and the occasional TMed or Hooka who slips up. It's also intimidating enough that I only get attacked by people 1-4 levels above me.

Looking back as far as I can go in my log, I'm at 4 defends, 7 losses.
What I'd like to know: Is this about the best defensive win/loss ratio I can expect for HQ15, or is there a configuration that might get better results?

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Yeah, I wanna go for it soon. I'm just paying the price for evenly upgrading all my troops since the beginning.
My armory's only lvl 11, and that makes farming tough and slow. I'll have to hold onto loot for a long time to build up enough to make the jump. (Hence my interest in alternate layouts)

Update- Never mind. I was being overly pessimistic.

Terror Loot + Clearing my map (seriously, like only 1 enemy left), plus ***gems*** was more than enough!

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
HQ upgrades are basically the one thing I use them on. That's almost all the gems I saved since the start of HQ15.
Ironically I didn't need them to buy resources, I used them to finish a 14 hr radar upgrade. No way was all my loot gonna sit in storage that long.

It didn't occur to me til later that the smartest thing to do would have been to cancel the radar, buy the HQ, and sit on the rest for the duration. Oh well. Time to start again.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
What about the submarine? I find it's pretty cheap and a nice return on investment.
Or should I be devoting every cent to troop upgrades?

For that matter, what about the radar?
I'm at lvl 14, with 3 of 8 new regions explored. Should I forget map expansion for now too?

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Yeah, that seems to be workable. It's a terror day and I had more than enough to finish my map, send a sub, and buy an upgrade.

I guess I'm just surprised by the "focus on one tactic" emphasis in Boom Beach. In Clash of Clans, you're usually using 5-7 different troop types per battle. So when I started BB, I assumed it was gonna be the same. You know, "Upgrade everything and move on to the next armory level." Only in the past week have I learned that's not how you're supposed to play the game. It's been kind of a shock, and it'll be another couple weeks before I'm caught up.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Jm20. I'll try to give an update once I've had time to properly implement this new upgrade strategy.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Just got 7 big purple crystals I wanna spend, but am wondering: Is there any way to predict what type of statue bonus you'll be getting?
If it makes any difference, my last three dark statues (in order) were GBE, GBE, and RR. Additionally, my dark masterpieces were RR and RR.

Took so long to get 'em. Wanna do this right, if I can. I'm hoping for either GBE or PSC.

Morton Haynice fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 22, 2014

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
+34% GBE! Yes!

Replacing a 13% GBE Guardian, too. (Net gain: +9 Energy)

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
A couple weeks ago I posted I'd hit a wall. Evenly-upgrading all my troops had severely limited my attacking power, and my HQ was too low for my level.
Thanks to some good advice from folks here, today my base looks like this:

Those are my tanks upgrading to lvl 7. Still a little behind, but leagues and leagues better than before I decided to focus on them. Now I can always farm the resources for whatever I need.
Basically if you're at that hump, there's hope if you just press a little further. Thanks thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
I can't remember if this one is HQ15 or 16, but I had great success with this layout:

Even if it's 15, you can probably swap some structures and still make a variant work. HTH!

• Locked thread