Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Plugs, new oil pan/gasket, valve and timing cover gaskets done.

Apparently if I drink half a pot of coffee at 8pm, magic happens.

Going to look at a cheap 50cc scooter for the missus tomorrow, then tackle the GDCS. This weekend is going to be AI as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

No go on the scooter, but got the oil in, waterpump and tstat on, belts on. Need to pick up some hardware and then tackle this radiator and shroud.

Might start it this weekend :hellyeah:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Got everything buttoned up, GDCS replaced entirely. Fluids in, started it, idles and revs great.

After a couple of minutes, realized the area where timing cover and valve cover meet is dripping a little oil, on both sides.

Not sure if I should drain oil and re torque everything, or just pull them and put more rtc in those areas. Any ideas? Are the gaskets garbage now?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Not familar with the layout of the V8, but could you possible snug the bolts in that area just a little tighter?

EDIT: Also I know on the straight sixes you're supposed to replace the VC bolt grommets along with the gasket otherwise you have a tendency to get leaks.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 4, 2014

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I did replace the grommets, and they aren't leaking thankfully.

I ran out of time last night but I will tighten up the bolts a little tonight and see how it goes. Maybe get some sweet video of the car making vroom noises.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Metallic gold valve covers and timing cover probably wouldn't have leaked :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Metallic gold valve covers and timing cover probably wouldn't have leaked :colbert:

Sigh. they prob would, I think the issue is that the timing gasket sticks up out of the mating point of the covers. Then the valve cover gasket goes over it, creating a little gap. I am not sure what to do about it other than tear it all down,I tightened the bolts a bit and I think its still seeping. Not sure how to force the timing cover gasket further into the gap, but I assume thats the issue. Its leaking there on both sides, and as far as I can tell, nowhere else.

E: if I have to buy new valve covers, I will spray them gold for you buddy. You get your aux fan issues sorted?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

You get your aux fan issues sorted?

No, i can't find my big hammer. I think i left it in my super duty.

my ext temp sensor is gone, and some folks say the car uses that for climate control stuff, so i might short the plug and see if i can make the car think it's +40*c outside instead of -40*c

i work at a really slow pace.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive heard that about the ambient temperature sensor too.

You'd better hurry up man! I am a hoseclamp and a couple of minor oil leaks away from being roadworthy! So, after a few weeks of sitting with the battery disconnected, my pixels came back?!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive heard that about the ambient temperature sensor too.

You'd better hurry up man! I am a hoseclamp and a couple of minor oil leaks away from being roadworthy! So, after a few weeks of sitting with the battery disconnected, my pixels came back?!

once the cluster warms up you'll probably lose the pixels agian.

My car is roadworthy, there's just a lot of janky stuff that i don't care enough to put money into right now.

So i just drive around without a/c, and don't use the drivers side window. if i need to adjust the blower fan, i just stick the tire depth gauge into the hole where the missing button would have pressed.

There's a bunch of little luxury poo poo that i should fix, but luxury stuff is pretty far down on the project list.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Word. A/c is a must because I am a baby, but other little poo poo like my broken rear door handle and inoperable rear power windows...eh. Not a huge concern.

One problem with having my pixels work is that I can read all the stupid warnings that aren't true:

http://youtu.be/8y6EUtkAYY8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Air in the brake system will give you that brake fluid warning. might be worth a bleed.

Love the sound of that engine though. I'm contemplating pulling the muffler off. It's got a resonator further up in the exhaust, so the muffler is really useless.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I am pretty sure I am catless.. Not really sure what to look for, but there is a muffler in place but the big stock scuba tank thing are gone. The idle isnt too lopey but it loving shrieks murderscreams at anything over 3500 rpm. Definitely my favorite sounding car that i have owned.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My boner reaches into the 4th dimension.

http://youtu.be/XX0XCUW_Ees

Jumped it from my Honda, let t idle about 20 minutes with the ac on, revving it like a teenager occasionally. Heat needle sat dead center.

Going to have to address the valve cover leaks when I get back from vacay, but I am really encouraged by this success so far. :clint: this whole wrenching thing is pretty addicting.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

My car is roadworthy, there's just a lot of janky stuff that i don't care enough to put money into right now.

So i just drive around without a/c, and don't use the drivers side window. if i need to adjust the blower fan, i just stick the tire depth gauge into the hole where the missing button would have pressed.

There's a bunch of little luxury poo poo that i should fix, but luxury stuff is pretty far down on the project list.

Shoulda bought a poormobile instead. Everything works on mine :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shoulda bought a poormobile instead. Everything works on mine :v:

I doubt a $1000 poormobile would be in any better nick.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Plate obtained! I can drive dis bitch. Also got the battery charged, it was really low from sitting/running the heat while I bled the cooling system.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Drove it around my neighborhood and took it out on a (sort of) main road. Got it up to about 45 in 2nd gear at full WOT. Holy poo poo, I have never had a car with this much torque. Really fun. I babied it otherwise because I am not confident in the suspension/brakes at the moment. Lots of work to still do. Heat needle sat dead middle the whole time.

Handling however, leaves a lot to be desired. I am torn on getting new wheels and tires now, then redoing all the suspension bullshit that is wrong (has a front end shimmy). I dont want to diagnose problems that wouldnt exist if the car didnt have huge 20" wheels...

So, I think the motor mounts and possibly trans mounts are shot. When I shift, it has a noticeable clunk that doesnt feel like a grabby clutch or a mis-shift. Also getting a little bit of clutch squeek in reverse when I am sort of half out of my driveway, with the suspension partially under load. Maybe the trans is moving a little bit? Definitely not ruling out clutch issues, but it grabs pretty hard at full WOT.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Definitely do motor mounts if there is some clunking. Mine did it very lightly under strange conditions, but I just did motor mounts and I never heard them again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Definitely do motor mounts if there is some clunking. Mine did it very lightly under strange conditions, but I just did motor mounts and I never heard them again.

Cool, glad to know my driver's seat diag makes sense at least. When I was under the car, I saw at least one motor mount that was basically blown out.

Another question for 540i bros: is your gas pedal pretty hard to press down, and your clutch pedal really light? Its a weird combination that I am not used to. I am wondering if the throttle cables are binding or something. It doesnt seem to stick, but its got a lot of resistance for a gas pedal.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Speaking of clunks when shifting: http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/TM.html

See if you have this sort of mount by checking out the DIY guide: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804839

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

These look similar but arent quite as bananas expensive http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...CFStk7AodUXAAZQ

I am torn, I will probably track this vehicle at some point, but its primarily goimg to be a DD and adding a ton of transmission vibration isnt neccesarily what I want.

Anyone have any of these more rogid mounts in their bmw?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Found these pics on a forum, not my car. However, it will take 2 things to make my car look exactly like this: 18" m-pars (or reps), and black kidney grills. Thats it, I have the m5 front and rear bumper, as well as the little trunk lip spoiler. And I guess polishing the headlights :v:

I really like this dudes car, I think this is going to be my longterm goal for aesthetics. I like his ride height too, I think with 18"s my car will look similar.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
God drat, that looks good. As some one said in the name thread, M pars are always the answer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah parallels are so fuckin legit. Considering reps by if I can find real ones I might cough up the extra cash.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Pulled the drivers side fromt wheel. Yanked on various arms and inspected bushings. Looks like the control and thrust arms are fine, probably done pretty recently. Whoop! The tie rod ends, however, are blown the gently caress out and need to be replaced. Boo. Makes sense, the steering felt a little sloppy.

So, to add to the list in the OP:

Motor mounts
Transmission mounts
Tie rods/possibly center link.
Bleed brakes
Check CEL codes
18" m-parallels + tires

:homebrew:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Goddamn, that motor sounds fantastic!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Minor update. Did a brake fluid flush and a trans fluid change on my fiances accord. Ws pretty uneventful, but it was the first time i have done brakes at all so it was a learning experience.

Once my garage gets cleared out, i can move the bmw back in there and it will stay in there on jackstands for a while. Going to do reddo the topend gaskets i did earlier in the thread because they are still leaking.. Might just replace the valve covers because i am wondering if they are warped a little.

After that, motor mounts and trans mounts, and check the brakes. I think they need to be bled. Going to search for cheap wheels and tires over the winter, while the car is motballled. Budget has been a little tight so havent put a big order in for all the parts.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bump to stay out of archives. Still searching for the holy grail of cheap parallels, or failing that, maybe Style 32's. I think someone might give me a nice "winter price" in a few months, hopefully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just found this thread, looks interesting considering I know nothing of BMWs. Where in Michigan are you? Looks similar to the Royal Oak area.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just popping in to say great looking car, 540-brother! I tried and failed to do my valve cover gaskets (and made a mess of the sealant in the process, it's still on my jeans a year later) and also have no ext temp sensor. I actually replaced it once, and a piece of retread tore it off that week. I decided the gods just didn't want me to have one.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Not sure what price you're looking for, but these just popped up locally:
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/4735124508.html

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
M-pars are simpler twin spokes and they're 18s.

Which is weird because those look like m5 wheels which I thought were 18s as well...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Style 66's are pretty dope. But M-pars rule my heart <3

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You hacked your OBC yet? Temp sensor to the nearest C. Must-have.

It's muscle memory for me on startup now.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1138110-Unlocking-the-OBC-(Low-and-High)

prepare for terrornumbers if you are familiar with any other cars. M62 runs hot.

e: Also thanks for the inspirationthread. I have a '97 that is currently non-op, it needs a battery, (probably) a fuel pump and (maybe) a coil or two. You've motivated me to go buy a battery this week and get to work!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

You hacked your OBC yet? Temp sensor to the nearest C. Must-have.

It's muscle memory for me on startup now.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1138110-Unlocking-the-OBC-(Low-and-High)

prepare for terrornumbers if you are familiar with any other cars. M62 runs hot.

e: Also thanks for the inspirationthread. I have a '97 that is currently non-op, it needs a battery, (probably) a fuel pump and (maybe) a coil or two. You've motivated me to go buy a battery this week and get to work!

Its on my list of things. I was considering just plugging in my obd2 dongle to my laptop and keeping an eye on temp that way. Whats an acceptable temp range for the M62?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Say I was looking at a very clean, sub 100k, 6 speed 540i m-sport grey/grey with records indicating new clutch and cooling system bits. Seems to be enthusiast owned, no boy racer add ons.

What would be the fair upper price range for such a thing?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Under 100k? I mean if it's one of those ones where you can eat off the engine, I might be persuaded to part with up to, oh, 7 to 8k if I was specifically 540hunting? It depends on if it has VANOS and if it's been serviced as well. I gave 4900 for my one owner '97 black/tan with 8/10 paint and 160k.

PaintVagrant posted:

Whats an acceptable temp range for the M62?

Haha, can of worms OPENED. People often debate about this and some idiots actually hamstring the fancy stock thermostat so that it opens sooner/faster

from my experience one in good shape should be cruising around 98-102? and you should see a few degrees higher at heatsoak stoplights. Cooling system performance changes are very noticeable with the hacked cluster, and my temps dropped about 5c across the board when I replaced a slightly lovely radiator and expansion tank.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm still shocked as to how hot almost all bmw motors run. 100+ish is completely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Dammit, this just bumped up fixing my high obc on the long list of things to do.

• Locked thread