Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Simply Simon posted:

This part of the game is so dumb. They clearly were proud of their keyword system, used it moderately sensibly at the start (HAVE A PASSWORD, LET US IN), then realized that this is all it can ever do and...resorted to stupid bullshit to somehow squeeze more use out of it.
It is now HAVE PASSWORD, GIVE ME PASSWORD and the people you get them from are arbitrary and it doesn't add anything. It could be used with at least some design idea behind it, and maybe they try that: by forcing you to talk to NPCs you might otherwise skip or ignore after the first conversation, you can get some more snippets of forced worldbuilding and characterization in. Like with the King. However, the game's writing is neither voluminous nor competent enough to achieve any of that, so it's really just tedious padding while you traipse around in the same small corner of the world over and over again. Maybe you overgrind during that and end up shattering the difficulty of the next three dungeons, so that's also a...plus?!

On the other hand, huge, game-sprawling Chain of Deals are hardly endemic in Final Fantasy games alone (or even JRPG games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread