Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I certainly like what this game tried to do, even if the execution is kinda clunky. On the other hand, this game is up there with FF3 in having the most infuriating dungeon designs in the series, where at least some of 3's dungeons look cool.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you handle the game with the setbacks you've set for yourself. No shields is gonna be nuts, though it'll also inspire tons of creative magic use I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Another nice perk is that going barehanded means you don't get the penalties to your spell-casting that most weapons and shields give, though I think the best-tier weapons and shields don't give much of a penalty anyway. It's a whole other story until then, though.

Yes, the game gives penalties to your casting stats based on what armor you're wearing. And of course the game doesn't tell you any of this. At least the remakes removed the casting penalties from using weapons and shields, though not armor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

Hm, I feel like I forgot something.

If it makes you feel any better, in the FF9 retelling of the story, not telling her about her dead father is apparently canon. That, and Vivian already murdered him earlier and just got tired of dragging his corpse around.

Also, holy crap at those Evasion/MDef levels. Those are pretty much what my Vivian had at the end of the game. Solo play really grinds those things up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oh wow, didn't know Hilda had dialogue where she yells at Gordon over how horrible he is if you come back without getting the Sun Flame. That's actually pretty awesome since people don't yell at Gordon enough in this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

At this rate, you don't even need the Agility-boosting equipment until the point where it'd be outclassed anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

According to this wonderful site, you add your Soul/Intelligence to your accuracy, minus penalties. With 30 in both, that boosts Slow and Blind to 60%/80% respectively, though I don't know how much Vivian's equipment will hurt it. As a bonus, Slow cancels out Haste if an enemy casts it on itself.

The tricky part is that many enemies resist Body-type attacks and thus are immune to those status effects, such as all undead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, I wonder if the backwards messages of barrier are the game's fault or the fan translation's. I actually think it's probably the game. I've been looking through Mega64's LP, but I don't know if he actually used that spell in that LP. Hm. Well, at least it gives you some clue what resistances hit; the remakes don't tell you at all.

I don't think I seriously used any magic that wasn't attack/healing/Esuna/Blink.

It's neat to see an actual challenging boss at least, and to see a seldom-used spell get to shine. Wizards and Sorcerers are nasty though even with a full party, so fighting them solo seems like it'd be a nightmare. It's a shame too since they drop some useful spells but probably aren't worth grinding for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like to think Vivian just completely forgot her brother even existed.

I also like how the remakes don't even bother hiding who the dark knight is, using a slightly darker portrait of Stalin's for the Dark Knight's dialogue.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Who are you planning to give Cure to once you get it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Even in a full-party run you can't help but kill off your own characters.

Interesting run so far. Seems to require a bit more thought and strategy than the solo run. Now I want to try a Treasure Hunter/Live Off the Land run in some of the other FF games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

Hm, that's an interesting thought! I can't imagine a living off the land challenge would be that hard in FF4/5/6, mainly because those games are far more forgiving to begin with. You would be somewhat restricted in FF5, since only Summoners can really cast anything, but it's not like you don't have a million other ways to break FF5. FF6 is similarly easy. FF4 might be difficult at times, since you can't break FF4 quite as thoroughly, but apart from Cecil's class change and Edge's throw stock being limited you'd probably wouldn't have that many problems. FF3's another story, though. Now I'm not as familiar with FF3, but I do know you'd be cut off from spell casting, apart from some late game summons. You could at least get by with item drops and steals. I imagine it'd get really hard by the end of the game, since usually you get the Cloud of Darkness by either Flare or Shuriken spam, neither of which would be terribly viable.

EDIT: I forgot you do get spells in FF3! Not a lot, though, and I believe you only get them very early on, so it'd be outdated very quickly.

You get Cura and the Black Magic -ra spells free, plus I think a couple of Cure tomes. I think the main problem is not getting the higher-tier Cure spells, as the best strategy with Cloud of Darkness is having two Sages spamming Curaja the entire battle while the Ninjas attack/throw Elixirs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Emperor didn't know Dennis very well, I take it.

Anyway, fun and interesting run. Looking forward to seeing the bonus dungeon!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

e: Oops, meant to post in the main FF thread.

Though while I'm posting, so far there doesn't really seem to be much strategy involved other than grinding to get the right gear, which is kind of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nice to see FF stories making more sense than usual.

Thanks for the great runs, Camel Pimp! It was fun watching you run through the game with a variety of challenges.

• Locked thread