Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Double Rabite posted:

Umm… The easiest time I had with the game was using 1 single unarmed- unarmored character. IIRC fists end up being the 3rd strongest weapon in the game and not using armor makes your defensive stats grow like crazy. Got to love the leveling system of the game.

The big problem is Evade level. A solo character can't end fights as quickly as a full party, so in large fights you have a ton of enemies ganging up on your solo character for many rounds. That makes your Evade level go shooting up, so a solo character will reach 16x Evade somewhere around the game's halfway mark unless you are running from enemies like crazy. At that level even a permanently shieldless character can dodge the vast majority of incoming attacks, and if you somehow manage to max out agility you will be functionally immune to melee attacks.

The only hitch I foresee with this solo game is that I'm not sure that Vivian's fisticuffs skill will get high enough to dent the final boss without using Berserk, but since the marathon final dungeon is basically going to come down to punching things to death Camel Pimp could very well wind up at max level or close to it without having to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, given the rules he has to kill his enemies via HP damage, but it's not like he won't have enough money to buy all the Elixirs needed to spam attack spells all day long. I guess the question is, how well do high-level attack spells compare to high-level fisticuffs?

Pretty terrible, although now that you mention it non-elemental spells are unblockable damage. So the last boss is almost guaranteed to be beatable, although it may take a while.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wall isn't quite that buggy; the Wall glitch only works on instant death spells, because they remove the enemy from the battle as part of the spell's animation (which gets played for spells blocked by Wall.) If you just cast Fire or whatever on a walled enemy it will just show the fire animation and do nothing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bellmaker posted:

I remember Aero being pretty decent leveled up, seeing as it's basically Bio from later on in the series (poison-elemental?). I know there's at least one "boss" in particular Aero tears to shreds.

Aero is the same power as the other elemental attack spells, which by mid/late game isn't very useful except against elemental weaknesses. There are about 5 or 6 enemies in the game with a vulnerability to poison, so... yeah, not that great.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only attacks that target the back row are magic and don't train evasion (bow attacks, which are fairly rare to begin with, count as spells and train magic defense.) Vivian's accelerated evasion growth is because solo characters take longer to finish fights, so she gets targeted a lot more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

Was this because of the "rebalance" in the GBA version, or was the game always so easy to break, even accidentally?

Little bit of both. Hitpoints and damage output are the two things that generally take care of themselves in the original, which are amped up even more by the remake. Magic defense is a huge problem in the original though, and what you were getting there was 100% remake.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Dwarf Mode: All party members must equip the heaviest armor you can get your hands on. Can't use bows, swords, or daggers because they are for poncy elves. No magic restrictions, but good luck making it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

I personally always found that without select-cancel, my stats would plateau at a certain point (weapon skills especially). So then it feels like select-cancel is necessary because holy crap my Sword skill has been stuck at 3-07 for like fifteen fricking battles even though I've been chopping heads; aren't I supposed to be getting stronger? In reality, the Sword skill at level 3 in that dungeon may have been completely adequate, but fighting battles and not seeing any clear sign of progression on the skills sure gives the impression that I'm doing something wrong.

They make this worse by throwing a lot of high defense enemies at you early on. Several early bosses are almost invincible and even against random enemies like Soldiers most of your characters are going to have trouble dealing damage, which sends you the message that your weapon skills are inadequate (even though they're not really the issue.)

• Locked thread