Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh my god this girl doesn't even know how to do molds and she is on this show.

Seriously I kinda wanna go back and see how she made it this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
No wonder Cig wears hats all the time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seriously I kinda wanna go back and see how she made it this far.

First one was premade junk just to slap on and then the dude she was paired with went home after doing all the bad work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Wow these are a huge improvement from last week. And that was a team challenge too.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Cig and the one before his were the best looking to me. And the Paruvian one where the before image of the model looked just as alien as the made up one. There are a lot of rough looking sculpts, things aren't even and unfinished textures.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Some of these look like some hot messes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Wow these are a huge improvement from last week. And that was a team challenge too.

Yeah there are a lot of neat ones here.

"I've never used a mold before!"'s creation isn't too bad but there are some telltale flaws.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

"I've never used a mold before!"'s creation isn't too bad but there are some telltale flaws.

It is a pretty interesting design though, very creepy.

There's still one or two disasters but that's every episode. The top 5 here are all way better than anything from last week. It at least gives me some hope for the season.

Sep 13, 2007
I've always thought that aliens who could travel through space and settle on another planet would be extremely technologically advanced but some of these depictions are much more tribal and I'm not sure I can see that happening.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sasha's performer is cool. Like her little dance.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Does doc's have a blow hole? Or is that his aliens anus?

Sep 13, 2007

Bored posted:

He has a hood under the shoulder pads which makes less than no sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aww I thought Damien's was kinda cool.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Oh my god the little British ladies comments about Doc's make up.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

One of the red one's contacts is a bit off and it looked like she had googly eyes.

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh my god the little British ladies comments about Doc's make up.

Hey. Nobody likes a sad sack. :colbert:

Goddamnit. Graham needs to show up just to do the droopy dog voice for Doc's alien.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 6, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda surprised Doc survived that, though Gwen did make a lot of mistakes there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Next week is Groot week!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
A lot of them wound up asymmetrical or crooked and would have made a much better impression if they were straightened out. Dina's snakeman is a good example.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

General Ironicus posted:

A lot of them wound up asymmetrical or crooked and would have made a much better impression if they were straightened out. Dina's snakeman is a good example.

Yeah that happened a lot this week.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I hated Cig's. The little baby arms looked like the Titannica sketch from Mr. Show. The red one was pretty great. Doc should have gone home. I seriously said "oh nooooo" aloud when they showed that awful face.

Hot Face Off Takes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bored posted:

My first thought when I noticed that was that it looked like a tip of penis with a pee hold and then I couldn't unsee it.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

General Ironicus posted:

Yeah I noticed a couple of them were crooked and ruined the look.

Gwen's was bad the whole way through, though. Doc's sad sack character too. I feel like doing Easter Island is tough because it is too character specific, all the other ones are buildings. Damned if you go too literal and make an Easter Island head and anything else is "that doesn't look like Easter Island", the other options were of buildings where you could take other cultural aspects of the civilization they're known for.

Also yay my school's gym was on TV. :toot:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nooooooo I liked Gwen. :(

LabyaMynora posted:

My first thought when I noticed that was that it looked like a tip of penis with a pee hold and then I couldn't unsee it.

The face piece is badly asymmetrical and the entire cowl is off centre. The design was awful anyway, this is what happens when you don't fully embrace Mr Westmore's advice and make something halfway between the new concept and your horrible old concept.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Easter Island stones are stone colored, so the aliens would have been stone colored too... That's some fine logic there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smackfu posted:

Easter Island stones are stone colored, so the aliens would have been stone colored too... That's some fine logic there.

Especially since the Moai originally had huge white eyes made out of coral, many of them had Pukao hats/topknots made out of reddish volcanic stone and there's evidence that a bunch of the statues were painted and had carved tattoo patterns as well (almost all of which has since been lost to erosion). When they were originally erected they would have been really colourful.
But I guess a 30 second Wikipedia search and a brief explanation at the judging stage was too much to ask? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 7, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Especially since the Moai originally had huge white eyes made out of coral, many of them had Pukao hats/topknots made out of reddish volcanic stone and there's evidence that a bunch of the statues were painted and had carved tattoo patterns as well (almost all of which has since been lost to erosion). When they were originally erected they would have been really colourful.
But I guess a 30 second Wikipedia search and a brief explanation at the judging stage was too much to ask? :shrug:

I keep wondering if they are allowed to go online for a little while before starting their design or not. There seem to be a hand full of people every season that have no loving clue what their subject is and end up making something terrible because of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bored posted:

I keep wondering if they are allowed to go online for a little while before starting their design or not. There seem to be a hand full of people every season that have no loving clue what their subject is and end up making something terrible because of it.

I think sadly its that there are a few people each season that just have no eye for design whatsoever. They can't look at an Easter Island stature and do anything but copy from it. They can't extrapolate basic design out into a new unique work, if you ask them to "reference" something they will just rip some aspect of it and paste it directly onto their piece.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think sadly its that there are a few people each season that just have no eye for design whatsoever. They can't look at an Easter Island stature and do anything but copy from it. They can't extrapolate basic design out into a new unique work, if you ask them to "reference" something they will just rip some aspect of it and paste it directly onto their piece.

There's that. But I personally had no clue about what SnowGlobeofDoom was mentioning and I found it interesting. I actually have fun learning about the poo poo I'm doodling and it probably helps with my "artwork". I would think that would come in extremely useful for face off. Although I could almost see the judges saying,"Well, that may be true, but it still doesn't say 'easter island' when I see it since most people don't know the history of those carvings."

A topknot would have been useful for coving up the blowhole/penis head/belly button thing that Doc's had going on there, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Doc should've made a Moai-shaped space helmet and stuck it over his amphibian alien's head, or even had him just carrying it. I'm actually a little surprised that no one really pushed the 'Alien artifacts mistaken as chimeric body parts' angle. I guess the Egyptian alien with the headdress-shaped crest was almost there.

Gwen also should have given her 'tribal demon' a hosed up space suit patched back together with leather and hides but I guess it's a bit late for her to learn from that mistake.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bored posted:

I assume they got some background info, because some of the places were definitely a bit obscure.

Probably the wikipedia page printed out, but still.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
They were all awful this episode and I don't remember really liking any last episode either. I don't know how anyone could like Gwen, she had the personality of a shoe. Is it like this the first handful of episodes every season? I've seen all of them but I don't remember being this underwhelmed. Maybe we need more space werewolves or vampire cowboy challenges.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Ariza posted:

They were all awful this episode and I don't remember really liking any last episode either. I don't know how anyone could like Gwen, she had the personality of a shoe. Is it like this the first handful of episodes every season? I've seen all of them but I don't remember being this underwhelmed. Maybe we need more space werewolves or vampire cowboy challenges.

Yeah. I just found it odd that she kept putting emphases on the word "people". Like she was adding the quotation marks into her speech.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariza posted:

I dunno I really thought I saw some improvement. The top three this week were way better technically than anything from last week. They looked like actual finished pieces that a professional would do.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also what happened to the "Life v Death" theme???

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also what happened to the "Life v Death" theme???

umm uhh mobsters = death and aliens = life???

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tuna mobster was legitimately great with some awesome design decisions like using the fat rolls to suggest gills and using the jowls to suggest a fish-like appearance, and was made by dudes who actually knew how to blend a fat suit into the sculpt so it all looked proportionate. We've all seen "better" artists come up way shorter in that regard far later in their respective seasons. :c00lbert:

But yeah this week was really underwhelming. I was amazed that Sasha's turned out as good as it did considering how much of a rank amateur she was in the construction process.

I was actually rooting for Gwen during the first challenge when I saw her confident attitude but it became quickly apparent she was just talking ahead of herself and once she started to get her work torn apart couldn't hold together. Oh well.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Sasha the First Time Molder is going to have a tough time on this show, but she did do a very good job on application and painting. It seem to be blended very well on a week where I was seeing a lot of rough edges.

And yeah, getting stuck with Easter Island would've sucked. The only way to survive is to just maximize the obvious. Big, flat, strong, angular. Killer paint to make that thing look ancient. Eg, not a penis-head-sad-fish-guy.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Tonight's Episode: Twisted Trees - Sneak Peek

Theme: A superhero foundation challenge; the artists must create twisted tree characters after becoming one with nature.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Factor Mystic posted:

And yeah, getting stuck with Easter Island would've sucked. The only way to survive is to just maximize the obvious. Big, flat, strong, angular. Killer paint to make that thing look ancient. Eg, not a penis-head-sad-fish-guy.

'Killer Paint' and 'Not A Penis Head' should be written on the walls of the lab in 6 foot tall letters

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Sasha seems like she doesn't have a full thought for these sit downs because that one was heavily clipped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007
Two bad artists together do make amazing artwork Doc, you're screwing yourself over.

• Locked thread