Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm SO happy they're finally doing something like this, because you KNOW they're all going to be awesome.

I've got my fingers crossed that they're testing the waters and will make this a regular seasonal event if it works well, or even do it more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hell I'm ok with an entire season of judge creations judged by a panel of previous Face Off champions.

Also yay Roy! :D

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Needs Roy, Fox, and Laura.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Needs Roy, Fox, and Laura.

God now I'm excited. Roy and Fox to dream big and Laura to make everything perfect. She's still the best person to ever work on the show I think.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

She told him she disagreed with his idea. I have no clue how many other times she tried explaining that his lion was too dark for the challenge, but even if you just went with her whiny "I wanna make something pretty, everyone else's is pretty, ours is not" she still told him she didn't like the idea when they were originally brain storming.

Edit:YAY! Go home and be a douchebag there!

The one thing that steadily murders people on team challenges is when people can't give up creative control when they're out of their element. Seen it over and over and over again.

If you get a challenge that's outside your comfort zone but your partner is comfortable with it, let them take over, for Christ's sake. Then if it all goes to poo poo you can point at them and say "THE IDEA WAS THEIRS!" from extra insurance too. It's win/win and every time someone blows this obvious strategy it's just a face palming moment.

mind the walrus posted:

Hell I'm ok with an entire season of judge creations judged by a panel of previous Face Off champions.

Also yay Roy! :D

I hope Roy works with Neville and not Glenn. I don't know why but I think Glenn and Roy would probably get too into the same things and have a blow out, but with a very even-tempered kind of guy like Neville, he'd be a perfect fit.

Plus I honestly think Neville might be most talented of the judges for the design aspect, and if Roy was given blueprints and told "make this" he absolutely would rock it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even beyond that it just baffles my mind that these contestants get on a show where the entire point is to simulate their dream lives as professional makeup artists for the movies where they really might have to go from concept to finished product in 3 days, and they think at any point during this role play that it is ok to say "I don't really feel like adhering to the concept my bosses laid out, I'm going to do my own thing." Like seriously, how far do they think that attitude would get them if they were actually on a job?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Even beyond that it just baffles my mind that these contestants get on a show where the entire point is to simulate their dream lives as professional makeup artists for the movies where they really might have to go from concept to finished product in 3 days, and they think at any point during this role play that it is ok to say "I don't really feel like adhering to the concept my bosses laid out, I'm going to do my own thing." Like seriously, how far do they think that attitude would get them if they were actually on a job?

That always confuses me too. Ignoring the challenge NEVER EVER goes unnoticed. If they even bothered to watch one season they'd know how stupid it was to do so. The sad part is I don't think it's anyone at the studio meddling or anything. They just up and decide "Well I'm good at X so I'll just keep doing X even if I'm told to make Y."

It's what separates the contestants that'll work on blockbuster movies versus the ones that will be doing Asylum schlock at best.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's probably just fear of stepping outside your comfort zone. Jason only does horror and weighed screwing up the unknown as worse than delivering SOMETHING he knew he could accomplish. Of course the right thing to do in this case is defer to your partner who's Ms. I've Always Wanted A Whimsy Challenge Finally My Day Has Come, and then learn something.

That or be Cake Boss, who's constantly stretching herself so one more step is not out of mind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a fair assessment Factor Mystic, and even if Jason had gone ahead as project lead and tried and failed at whimsy he would have outed himself as unprepared for the big leagues anyway, although he probably would have gotten a kinder goodbye. He really was given three options to prove his mettle as a growing artist and he picked the one most likely to get him sent home. In hindsight it looks a lot like self-sabotage. Maybe those three weeks on the bottom really did a number on his confidence.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

As much as I love seeing all these old faces, I feel like I would rather see the judges really struggle trying to do a whole make up by themself, like the contestants do.

But whatever, Judge Off!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Roy as a Round 2 pick. No one wants to go for the 40' tall makeup.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder who they go to do the sketches because they are really good.

Glenn is a crazy cat guy :3:

Edit: I guess no one is watching? Neville's the person that always bites off more than they can chew.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 3, 2014

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Definitely watching. It's cool to see the ideas that people come up with each week actually make it to full fruition. And drat if these aren't turning out baller

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

KungFu Grip posted:

I wonder who they go to do the sketches because they are really good.

Glenn is a crazy cat guy :3:

Edit: I guess no one is watching? Neville's the person that always bites off more than they can chew.

Neville is so far out of his element, but it's obvious he and the other judges are having a lot of fun. It's awesome watching pros work and get a feel for what it's like on the build side of things. They are also using their crews strengths, and I'm glad to see Roy building a stupid large thing as only he can. As of now, I would love if they do this sort of thing again, maybe inviting well known pros to come in and compete and use the current contestants as their build crew.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think Ve Neil won hands down.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I can kind of see why they went with Neville, as his pure/corrupted were very clear, while the other teams two were rather similar.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I think Space in Canada hosed up: we got a new regular episode instead.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

I think Space in Canada hosed up: we got a new regular episode instead.

Was it the bloody mary one?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Freak posted:

Roy as a Round 2 pick. No one wants to go for the 40' tall makeup.

I have a theory that Vee called dibs on him for that Rook, given she apparently got him a job on Hunger Games with her. [ED: You know, this really has to be the most career-helping reality contest kind of thing out there, it's practically a demo reel for the good artists and it's lead them to a lot of jobs. Usually these things do jack poo poo for people.]

Also, I really loved Neville's concept but think Glenn/Vee both had the better execution. Was surprised he won, honestly, but I have a feeling it was something of a popularity contest and he seems like the easiest guy to get along with when we got to see him actually work.

Kloaked00 posted:

As much as I love seeing all these old faces, I feel like I would rather see the judges really struggle trying to do a whole make up by themself, like the contestants do.

But whatever, Judge Off!

The problem is the only one of them with the skill set for that honestly is Glenn. Neville and Vee haven't done this poo poo for years, because they have different positions now. He's a concept designer, like a Syd Mead or something along those lines; the guy who gives people designs and says "build that," not the guy that builds them.

It's kind of like having a master architect have to build a house, with a hammer.

Really I think that's why I didn't like the execution on his the most, because they were effectively a man down, with the advantage that they had clear conceptual oversight (which showed through and ultimately won it).

.. that said it'd be a neat episode if he got some concept designer buddies on the show to do a team challenge with each creature helmed by a professional. Which would be the closest to how things actually work, too, and it'd be neat to see which ones were incapable of executing a clear design.

Basebf555 posted:

I think Ve Neil won hands down.

Holy poo poo. I didn't know how she spelled it until this episode and that is kind of hilarious: Their names are literally one letter away from being an anagram.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 3, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I particularly liked the different ways the judges approached the challenge. For instance Neville had his team sculpt the concept while he used the digital version to compare different ideas and adapt along the way.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

KungFu Grip posted:

Was it the bloody mary one?

Yeah, that was the eliminator then there was another main challenge afterwards. Were we supposed to get two episodes or did Space gently caress up and play next week's already? The Judge challenge never ended up on my PVR, which makes me sad because it was the first episode in a long time that seemed actually interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

lifts cats over head posted:

I particularly liked the different ways the judges approached the challenge. For instance Neville had his team sculpt the concept while he used the digital version to compare different ideas and adapt along the way.

This isn't a knock against anyone because they all used the past contestants to their advantage and got the most out of them, but I think Neville benefited the most from the two he chose. He could just oversee everything while Anthony and Miranda just worked like machines sculpting his ideas at breakneck speed. Without those two sculpting I don't think he could have produced pieces so finished looking in that amount of time. There may not have been two better sculptors in the entire run of the show than Anthony and Miranda and he ended up with both of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

This isn't a knock against anyone because they all used the past contestants to their advantage and got the most out of them, but I think Neville benefited the most from the two he chose. He could just oversee everything while Anthony and Miranda just worked like machines sculpting his ideas at breakneck speed. Without those two sculpting I don't think he could have produced pieces so finished looking in that amount of time. There may not have been two better sculptors in the entire run of the show than Anthony and Miranda and he ended up with both of them.

And even then they only barely got finished pieces onto the stage, but Neville is such a loveable goofy dork I can't hold anything against him. :allears:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Yeah, that was the eliminator then there was another main challenge afterwards. Were we supposed to get two episodes or did Space gently caress up and play next week's already? The Judge challenge never ended up on my PVR, which makes me sad because it was the first episode in a long time that seemed actually interesting.

Yeah Space hosed up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I know I'm late to the party but I don't get SyFy on my ultra-basic cable package for some reason so I have to watch it the day after.

I was beaming ear to goddamn ear this episode. Words cannot express how happy I was to see Laura back (and first pick, naturally). I was actually a bit surprised to see Miranda back but then again she's got good screen presence and was always a good artist to boot.

These makeups were off the goddamn chain. Seriously. Everyone was firing on all cylinders except for arguably Neville, who seemed out of his element doing the grunt work but luckily had a great team to execute his amazing concepts. Seriously that Pawn Head could have gone wrong so so so so easily and I was amazed when it didn't.

If I had to vote for best makeups I'd probably go with Ve's Queen and Glenn's King. Ve's decision to go with the green eyes was an underrated stroke of genius, and I was amazed at her balls to remove the back half of the helm to add in hair, but dammit if it didn't work like gangbusters. Glenn's King was likewise amazing, with so much great detail all over the place.

Their other pieces were also really really good, just not best-of work for me. Roy as usual knocked it out of the park on the Rook, and that Knight's head was phenomenal although it didn't quite read "light" to me at all.

God.... everything about this episode was a real treat, from seeing the judges panic as they were put in the workshop to seeing old favorites to seeing the amazing finished makeups with Daddy Westmore and Lois doing some gentle critiques. I hope they do it at least once a season, because I'll be damned if this didn't kick the entire season up to an automatic "C" based on this one episode's strength alone.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mind the walrus posted:

I know I'm late to the party but I don't get SyFy on my ultra-basic cable package for some reason so I have to watch it the day after.

I was beaming ear to goddamn ear this episode. Words cannot express how happy I was to see Laura back (and first pick, naturally). I was actually a bit surprised to see Miranda back but then again she's got good screen presence and was always a good artist to boot.

These makeups were off the goddamn chain. Seriously. Everyone was firing on all cylinders except for arguably Neville, who seemed out of his element doing the grunt work but luckily had a great team to execute his amazing concepts. Seriously that Pawn Head could have gone wrong so so so so easily and I was amazed when it didn't.

If I had to vote for best makeups I'd probably go with Ve's Queen and Glenn's King. Ve's decision to go with the green eyes was an underrated stroke of genius, and I was amazed at her balls to remove the back half of the helm to add in hair, but dammit if it didn't work like gangbusters. Glenn's King was likewise amazing, with so much great detail all over the place.

Their other pieces were also really really good, just not best-of work for me. Roy as usual knocked it out of the park on the Rook, and that Knight's head was phenomenal although it didn't quite read "light" to me at all.

God.... everything about this episode was a real treat, from seeing the judges panic as they were put in the workshop to seeing old favorites to seeing the amazing finished makeups with Daddy Westmore and Lois doing some gentle critiques. I hope they do it at least once a season, because I'll be damned if this didn't kick the entire season up to an automatic "C" based on this one episode's strength alone.

Just watched it off the DVR.

Funny how there was no upclose inspection, even though Neville won you could see the seams on his Pawn even from far away.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
I mostly enjoyed the episode, but there were a few really weird choices that bothered me. The horse head was way off from the body in terms of proportion, something the judges would not have failed to comment on if it had been a regular challenge. I also didn't enjoy the King as it was rather cliche ala "the mouth of sauron". The rook was awesome and so was seeing Roy's work again, but the queen needed to be painted in order for that cowl piece to make sense with the rest of the body as it doesn't really read either a part of her or a piece of wardrobe.

I have a great deal of respect for Neville stepping outside of his comfort zone, but I did kinda have to roll my eyes at the whole bending fantasy into aliens. The pawn was great, but the bishop has a really weird face, and I know I've seen him critique contestants for having anatomical choices that serve no purpose other than to look funny. I think the real winner overall was whoever was responsible for all the costuming, because it was a huge jump over the normal level of detail and nuance they normally have. I would love to have them do this regularly, Mr. Westmore should get in on it too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh god watching Westmore do his thing would be heaven.

I also can't really fault your criticisms Mr. Owl. You make some very good points. Although I will say that with the Knight's head since it was meant to be reminiscent of a chess piece I think it's a bit easier to let the proportions slide, although admittedly none of the other costumes had that problem.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I was a bit disappointed in this episode (mainly because my expectations were so high). I get that it was an exhibition and not actually a contest, but I was disappointed that Lois and Michael didn't actually critique the creations. It would have been super fun to get the close up comments like they normally do for contestants... heck, Glen/Ve/Neville could have joined them and critiqued each other!

Oh well. Awesome designs though. They should have spent more time showing us the makeup techniques and not just the molding/fabrication. But HOLY CRAP that horsehead was AWESOME.

Nice to see Laura again. How long until an All-Stars season?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Definitely thought the knight would have gotten savaged by Glenn in a regular challenge. "A giant foam head with no expressiveness? Where's the creativity???"

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I quite liked the 3-person team set-up they used I'd like to see it incorperated into the show as I'm pretty certain they never have before (obviously it would only work in the early stages) It just seemed to give people the freedom to showcase what they excel in.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I guess I'm the only one that loved the giant horse head. I saw it as more like a mask meant to terrify than that it was supposed to be the actual head. The king was pretty lame though. The horrible lines in Neville's face would've never been acceptable in a normal challenge and that kind of ruined it for me. Everything else was amazing though.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I quite liked the 3-person team set-up they used I'd like to see it incorperated into the show as I'm pretty certain they never have before (obviously it would only work in the early stages) It just seemed to give people the freedom to showcase what they excel in.

I'd agree but the reason it worked well here was that it was a two person team under the instruction of a definable leader, who already knew what their team members were good at. Early in the season where each contestant is working out how good the others are and where their skill sets lie, there's not going to be that trust where one can design, one can build and one can apply. Though having said that, a tag team make up could be a pretty awesome watch.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

Early in the season where each contestant is working out how good the others are and where their skill sets lie, there's not going to be that trust where one can design, one can build and one can apply. Though having said that, a tag team make up could be a pretty awesome watch.

That makes it a good fit for Face Off: All-Stars though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that thought the Knight head was cool as gently caress?

I honestly cannot imagine them bashing that in a regular challenge just due to the sheer size and quality of the thing. It was the size of half a person.

Usually the "foam head" complaints don't get busted out when the thing in question is as big as your torso.

ED: I am very disappointed we didn't get to see the rook actually transform, too. That was a really cool piece. I figured (and it may have been) it was designed like one of those Japanese transformer costumes that went around the internet.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 5, 2014

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Great episode, but clearly there was a lot of ego maintenance for this one...no close looks, no real critique of the makeups, and the secret ballot to decide the winner. Great makeups overall though - you can see why they are pros!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I'm just catching up on the judge challenge, and it is as awesome as I expected. I found it kind of funny that glen had his stocking cap pierced. Conner's being kind of a douche.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Bored posted:

I'm just catching up on the judge challenge, and it is as awesome as I expected. I found it kind of funny that glen had his stocking cap pierced. Conner's being kind of a douche.

Just re-watched most of season 1. He was kind of a subtle douche back then too.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just re-watched most of season 1. He was kind of a subtle douche back then too.

Yeah. Basically, him being worried about adding hair would be fine if he wasn't working with Ve, but she is awesome and I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she could pull it off without running them behind. Neville's alterboy had some terrible seams above the eyes. :(. It was still fuckin cool.

And goddamn is Neville awesome. "Face off is haaard." I really wish I had live watched with the people in this thread because it was just so awesome of a show. I'm going to guess it'll become a yearly thing since the judges seemed to have so much fun, even if it was stressful.

Glenn was so sweet at the end. He was just stoked to work with Laura and Beefcake guy because he likes working with awesome people. His piercings in his stocking cap still made me laugh, though.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Am I the only one that thought the Knight head was cool as gently caress?

Nope. The paint job was freaking amazing on it, imo.

Bored fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I had never heard about the show before this season, which is surprising since i would think it would get more attention.

I enjoyed the judges challenge, but was a little surprised that Neville won, his Pawn looked really unfinished, and it was something all the judges would have slammed if one of the normal contestants did it.

• Locked thread