Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Basebf555 posted:

The right way to do that is to bring 32 people in and eliminate half of them on the first challenge.

I agree.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but does Gabby only make dark elves? I could have sworn they flashed some of her previous work up and that's all I saw.

Edit. Checked during the commercial and, yes, she only has elves in her portfolio.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Doc got the awesome model, I think. So he should be safe. (I kinda like his too)

Lol. Sharknado2: the second one.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I partly get the feeling the judges saw the portfolio of the two they kicked after casting and were like "gently caress THAT, we gotta get them out of here on day 1." They didn't even wait for the Goddamn ending to boot that one guy.

I half wonder if he was being a dick off-camera and they just cut it.

I think he's the only contestant whose portfolio pieces had a watermark. I have no clue if that makes him a douche, but I thought they sent actual physical portfolios instead of online portfolios for the show. It would be kind of douchy to have watermarks on pictures that aren't online.

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/photos/face_off_s07_e0701_past_work?id=37

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still want them to do an episode where the models are MMA fighters or something, to both try to make something that can hold up to abuse and for the amusement of watching some theme characters kick the crap out of each other for a minute. At least it would in fact be kind of extreme. Or at least stop thinking making them dance to Dubstep = a good finale.

God yes. Although they did do swan lake a few seasons ago. Pretty much, it would be nice if they just stopped doing the dancing poo poo. I like watching dancers, but there's a reason dancers don't wear elaborate prosthetics for performances, beyond not being especially visible to the audience (stage lights, distance). Dancers are kind of limited in movement with super thick cowls on n' stuff.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's always kind of sad when they are introducing someone and pull a "Responsible for this great movie, this great movie, and this great movie and most recently this huge steaming pile of poo poo."

lol

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I hate that dude's 5 inch pointy hair.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Does doc's have a blow hole? Or is that his aliens anus?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

One of the red one's contacts is a bit off and it looked like she had googly eyes.

KungFu Grip posted:

Oh my god the little British ladies comments about Doc's make up.

Hey. Nobody likes a sad sack. :colbert:

Goddamnit. Graham needs to show up just to do the droopy dog voice for Doc's alien.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 6, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Especially since the Moai originally had huge white eyes made out of coral, many of them had Pukao hats/topknots made out of reddish volcanic stone and there's evidence that a bunch of the statues were painted and had carved tattoo patterns as well (almost all of which has since been lost to erosion). When they were originally erected they would have been really colourful.
But I guess a 30 second Wikipedia search and a brief explanation at the judging stage was too much to ask? :shrug:

I keep wondering if they are allowed to go online for a little while before starting their design or not. There seem to be a hand full of people every season that have no loving clue what their subject is and end up making something terrible because of it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think sadly its that there are a few people each season that just have no eye for design whatsoever. They can't look at an Easter Island stature and do anything but copy from it. They can't extrapolate basic design out into a new unique work, if you ask them to "reference" something they will just rip some aspect of it and paste it directly onto their piece.

There's that. But I personally had no clue about what SnowGlobeofDoom was mentioning and I found it interesting. I actually have fun learning about the poo poo I'm doodling and it probably helps with my "artwork". I would think that would come in extremely useful for face off. Although I could almost see the judges saying,"Well, that may be true, but it still doesn't say 'easter island' when I see it since most people don't know the history of those carvings."

A topknot would have been useful for coving up the blowhole/penis head/belly button thing that Doc's had going on there, though.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Ariza posted:

They were all awful this episode and I don't remember really liking any last episode either. I don't know how anyone could like Gwen, she had the personality of a shoe. Is it like this the first handful of episodes every season? I've seen all of them but I don't remember being this underwhelmed. Maybe we need more space werewolves or vampire cowboy challenges.

Yeah. I just found it odd that she kept putting emphases on the word "people". Like she was adding the quotation marks into her speech.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

I was surprised how good some of these came out. Also totally expected the dude who's branches were too heavy to get sent home and not the older dude with stump zombie.

The tree stump looked like it had been tp'd with colorful toilet paper.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lol. It looks like a furry mister t
Stella's I mean. But, yeah, doc's needs to go. That's the flying monkey right?

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 20, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Cig's hat would be really cool if he weren't wearing it for what is basically a work day.

Jason's a giant douchebag. Sasha's gonna get in trouble for not being able to convince Jason that his idea is bad. Aaand she just lost all goodwill by pouting to try to get her point across.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

"Maybe it's just out of the box enough." Yeah, your werewolf-lion is perfect for this challenge.

I can't remember if we've seen the Tinman's model get into character before in any other challenges. It's kind of neat how much the models can elevate a design by having fun in the makeup. The witch's model always looks miserable on stage.

I think the Tinman is a beautiful design, I just think it makes it even better that it looked like the model was having fun with the costume.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 27, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The flying monkey was pretty cool.

I agree.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Jason wasn't confused, he just couldn't think outside "dark and horrific."

Sasha had some screwups too but I think it's clear who hosed it up.

She told him she disagreed with his idea. I have no clue how many other times she tried explaining that his lion was too dark for the challenge, but even if you just went with her whiny "I wanna make something pretty, everyone else's is pretty, ours is not" she still told him she didn't like the idea when they were originally brain storming.

Edit:YAY! Go home and be a douchebag there!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

:aaaaa: Next week will be awesome!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I'm just catching up on the judge challenge, and it is as awesome as I expected. I found it kind of funny that glen had his stocking cap pierced. Conner's being kind of a douche.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just re-watched most of season 1. He was kind of a subtle douche back then too.

Yeah. Basically, him being worried about adding hair would be fine if he wasn't working with Ve, but she is awesome and I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she could pull it off without running them behind. Neville's alterboy had some terrible seams above the eyes. :(. It was still fuckin cool.

And goddamn is Neville awesome. "Face off is haaard." I really wish I had live watched with the people in this thread because it was just so awesome of a show. I'm going to guess it'll become a yearly thing since the judges seemed to have so much fun, even if it was stressful.

Glenn was so sweet at the end. He was just stoked to work with Laura and Beefcake guy because he likes working with awesome people. His piercings in his stocking cap still made me laugh, though.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Am I the only one that thought the Knight head was cool as gently caress?

Nope. The paint job was freaking amazing on it, imo.

Bored fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 5, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

VvvvvvvaaaGINA.

Is there anytime a vertical mouth wouldn't be seen as a vagina?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I missed the foundation challenge, but I was wondering if anyone was gonna go with telltale games' Bloody Mary from their Fables game. Looks like cig went that route with the mirror shards.

Edit: hmmm did that attach? I'm on my ipad. Nope.

Also, I think it was Cig. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I can't find a link to his bloody Mary and they are onto the Horror Movie challenge right now.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 10, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Hey, me too Cig!

Edit:lol. It looks a lot like poop.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

The flippers were a nice touch. If there's ever any need to turn the scary stories to tell in the dark illustrations into actual people, I think they should call Cig.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I still think they are purposely not picking the top contestants because of Anthony, since he won 3 in a row.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

I get the impression that Neville is actually the freak that Glen tries way too hard to present himself as.

Yeah. Neville is fuckin' awesome, the great big weirdo. Watching the judge competition thing, I decided I actually like Glen. He's actually a big sweetheart, I think.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Is George's model the awesome one? Cause she saved his rear end.

Did cakeboss use actual chocolate gelatin or did she just use a brown that was called chocolate in the gelatin?

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 15, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot.

Judges, mentors + new contestants here

Looks like Ve has taken her regular judging position back from Lois.

I hope they have another Judge episode. That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

And Neville knows primates.

I just noticed that glenn brushed his hair!

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread