Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Not enough red-haired women. Why didn't casting make their quota this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cakeboss really owned that challenge, but she did get a bit lucky, too. interesting that they raked the two losers for not adapting their concepts to their pieces, but weren't nearly so hard ofn the chick that did the raven thing for putting a face piece on her models hand. I guess it comes down to execution,which I am totally ok with.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I didn't like typewriter dude at all. The concept isn't terrible, but the execution was poor and I thought the names in the sculpt were basically unreadable.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sasha the First Time Molder is going to have a tough time on this show, but she did do a very good job on application and painting. It seem to be blended very well on a week where I was seeing a lot of rough edges.

And yeah, getting stuck with Easter Island would've sucked. The only way to survive is to just maximize the obvious. Big, flat, strong, angular. Killer paint to make that thing look ancient. Eg, not a penis-head-sad-fish-guy.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I don't really think they care about the back stories as much beyond giving context to the visual, to prove that yeah, you did have a vision for this thing. That's why they eliminated Vince, because there was just no vision associated with the sequoia beyond "well it's a guy with a stump head", which was rightly called out as stupid.

I want to say that the producers told Lois that the willow branches were missing, but she's probably just actually pro enough to have realized it herself. I do wonder what actually happened. It would be kind of heartbreaking to go home for something different than what walked out of last looks. But hey, if the model can't wear it, you designed it wrong.

For one, I though there were no bum prompts. All the tree species had potential and all the maladies were cool. No "Easter islands" this week.

Also: the dancing bit! Yay, another season of making friends :3

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

trem posted:

My younger brother once drew a dolphin and monkey mashup, so I'd like to see the contestant's take on that.

I'm pretty sure there was a challenge in a past season where they teamed up with kids to make their crazy drawings come to life.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Fun fur week, huh? Guaranteed to be bad, and delivered on the promise. I was actually really surprised that Sasha's sculpt worked out as expected, I was afraid it wouldn't come out and wouldn't read as feathers. Good for her.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Team Cake Boss up in this. They had a good concept and a good paint job, but honestly I was a bit surprised the judges were cool with non-anatomical forms on the monkey and the neck of the witch. But I guess this was the one challenge where that works.

Naga Warlord posted:

I can't wait for next week's episode. Finally get to see the pros in action.

I'm SO happy they're finally doing something like this, because you KNOW they're all going to be awesome.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It's probably just fear of stepping outside your comfort zone. Jason only does horror and weighed screwing up the unknown as worse than delivering SOMETHING he knew he could accomplish. Of course the right thing to do in this case is defer to your partner who's Ms. I've Always Wanted A Whimsy Challenge Finally My Day Has Come, and then learn something.

That or be Cake Boss, who's constantly stretching herself so one more step is not out of mind.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I was a bit disappointed in this episode (mainly because my expectations were so high). I get that it was an exhibition and not actually a contest, but I was disappointed that Lois and Michael didn't actually critique the creations. It would have been super fun to get the close up comments like they normally do for contestants... heck, Glen/Ve/Neville could have joined them and critiqued each other!

Oh well. Awesome designs though. They should have spent more time showing us the makeup techniques and not just the molding/fabrication. But HOLY CRAP that horsehead was AWESOME.

Nice to see Laura again. How long until an All-Stars season?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

Early in the season where each contestant is working out how good the others are and where their skill sets lie, there's not going to be that trust where one can design, one can build and one can apply. Though having said that, a tag team make up could be a pretty awesome watch.

That makes it a good fit for Face Off: All-Stars though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cake Boss really did not play to her strengths this week... If she's not a sculptor, why pick a concept with two critical sculpt pieces?

Also, it seems like almost everyone except George forgot that the real challenge was making a makeup that works for grabbing people at a theme park. So maybe not a subtle, psychological approach like a fat guy with boils?

Zifnab posted:

Oh! It's an expression! I will pull my socks up!

I dunno if she's the best artist but it's nice having someone so cheerful on the show

I'm coming around to this cast. It was hard to say at the beginning if they were all duds. It was also kind of funny how literally speechless Sahsa was... She didn't use full sentences at all after she was saved, just kind of babbling, lol.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

chapstickie posted:

It was "It was too hot in hell." which is why she thought reindeer... I think she was trying to be clever but couldn't pull off the reindeer head.

Saying this made me realize, she should've done a deer that has been shot/prepared for food/comes back to life for revenge, etc. Could've done like a venison-deer-thing. That's a concept I want to see.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cake Boss's paint job was cool, but I don't think she deserved to win. Cig had a super cool design that was absolutely perfect for the challenge and a good palette to go with it. I wasn't really feeling the subtle approach but it was a bold move. Personally the execution didn't blow me away.

Sasha's was bad, though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sasha's doll was hands down amazing. The concept was solid, the hair plugs thing was brilliant, and the paint was amaaaaazing. I felt like I was looking at porcelain. I was surprised... I honestly didn't think Sasha could pull it off. This was a no-contest winner for me. Best creation on this season so far.

But: it wasn't "scary" the way the others were meant to be scary. Cig looked disappointed he didn't win and I understand, his was also stellar... AND it was ACTUALLY scary. Any other time, he would've walked away with it.

Cake Boss gets points for doing something not-terrible with a nearly impossible concept. Tornados lol. At least nobody responded with anything too abstract like "my mom and dad getting a divorce".

Mons Hubris posted:

Those arms were really disgusting and I would have put him through based on that alone.

This is why I love watching Face Off. Because tying strings around foam and then coating it in silicone latex is brilliant. And I love seeing people pull off stuff like that (even though George's overall product wasn't that great).

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

John Yossarian posted:

How the hell was Sasha's design safe? Her "Cyclops" had too many eyes and it looked like an alien, which the judges mentioned.

I was surprised about this too. What the heck was Sasha thinking where cyclops = many eyes??? It literally makes zero sense. And the eyes she did create didn't even look like eyes they looked like dark masses. And I'm pretty sure she did that overall sculpt before. Madness.

Cake Boss's was a neat character but I'm glad Drew finally got a win.

George's was real bad. I was a bit surprised he wasn't gone.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

It's weird she even tried to make them so large in the first place. Teen sized horns! Drew got this right.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sasha would really benefit from like a sculpting mentor. I don't think she'll win, though. Barring an upset, it's Cig, Cake Boss, and Sasha in the finale. Drew and Stella just haven't had the wins. George is on thin ice.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Cake Boss woohoo. I loved Cig's face when they said there was only one top look... always a bridesmaid! But his paint was still pretty good. I did see some rough edges/application on his guy, though.

I agree with Blazing Ownager about Sasha trying way too hard for a twist while not even getting the concept fundamentals right. I was surprised the judges didn't pile on over the concept of Medusa beating Athena. Is that even possible in the mythology?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I liked that once again they showed George coming up with a cool technique to do something. This time it was squeezing foam tubes to make branches. Neat.

So Anthony is Cake Boss' mentor? Of course, now it all makes sense. She's a ringer.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

My favorite thing about Cig's yeti crab is that he DIDN'T do a large shell for the back. Not only would it have looked like a ninja turtle, it'd have been lazy. His layered approach looked so sweet.

mind the walrus posted:

Either way Dina has started to irritate me.dammit.

Booooooo! Boo! Boo this man.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Good finale. I'm really impressed all the makeups survived that stage fighting, I'm always afraid someone's creation is going to get torn up.

Just like everbody else said, Cig's dark knight was baller but is light knight was weak, Drew's design was ok but didn't really stand out, and Cake Boss was way ahead. Even used her Cake Boss skillz in the design! Drew was pretty classy in losing, and he should feel good because all the finale designs were solid.

I appreciated that they were helping each other clean out the molds even in the finale. Face Off: the reality show where you come to make friends? Also, nice to see Rashad again. How long until Face Off All Stars?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Is there going to be a new thread or at least a title change op edit?

It would be really great if we could get a new thread.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I'll put something together this evening EST or someone else can beat me to it, if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

I'll put something together this evening EST or someone else can beat me to it, if they want.

New thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696244

• Locked thread