Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Quilian Nailos [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 7 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 40

Relief overtakes him. Quilian prefers his enemies to be corporeal and the lingering sensation in his chest doesn't help matters. Back with his bag he follows the others to the resting point.

If we're near/in the barracks, I'd like to ask the gnome soldiery where I can pawn off these Orc-owned equipment either before or after the long rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 1 - The Singing Stones

Gurmadden Stonesinger speaks one last time before you get ready to sleep, "To gather crystals or other stones in Wormwrithings, you'll need mining tools. Be sure to bring some, or you'll be sorry."

Quilian speaks with some guards and warriors trying to find if anyone will buy the stuff, but he finds none of them will. But that maybe Fendrick Pestle who manages the provisions might.

The group sleeps, then wakes the next day, and after a meager breakfast, unless they use their own supplies, go to meet Gurmadden Stonesinger who has been busy.

He nods to them and gives a happy wave then walks up to them to report.

"I spoke to as many svirfneblin as I could and found some more who wanted you to do something.

"Fendrick Pestle would like you to head to Mantol-Derith and trade with them to get some supplies and weapons for us."

He passes you some papers containing Fendrick Pestle's words, and well some contracts Gurmadden Stonesinger had made to try and make it feel more official.

The papers say: "We need more weapons. In the past, we dealt with our neighbors at the great trading post of Mantol-Derith, but where our salt and gems once found welcome, now we find only refusal. Since no one there will trade with us openly, we need outsiders to carry a load of goods to the outpost and negotiate a bulk trade for duergar weapons. If you don't reveal you're trading on our behalf, you should find a warmer welcome."

As you are reading it over Gurmadden Stonesinger speaks, "Fendrick Pestle is located in The Golden Hills Hearth. Here is another one from the healer Jalless at The Trader's Grotto" He winces at this. "She was quite headstrong and forced me to help when I walked in there. Eventually I learned she had a task for brave adventurers like you."

He hands you another stack of papers.

"I don't know where they came from, but earlier this year, orcs set up camp in the northwestern caverns. They're ferocious, and they just keep striking, wearing us down bit by bit. There's no talking to them, the savages. They understand only violence and death. Maybe, for a change, you could show them some."

As you finish reading that Gurmadden Stonesinger speaks up. "Well that was all I could find, that you hadn't already talked to."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]0/2

Sereia mentions to the group that she speaks Dwarvish, which might come in handy if we end up dealing with duergar.

"What did Jalless make you 'help' with? Fending off orcs?" Sereia asks Gurmadden, a strain of concern in her voice.

I'm good with whatever. Should we take a vote?
Do the ritual stuff first, obvs.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 1 - The Singing Stones

The energetic and happy gnome looks surprised at Sereia's conclusion. "Oh no, nothing like that. But she snapped at me, without even looking, to make myself useful. I spent a long time in there bringing water, or holding bandages in place, that kind of thing."

He looks sad for a moment as he adds, "we have a lot of injured from all the orc raids, and not enough healers."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 40

Waking early gives Quilian time to repair the damage done to his chain shirt. It isn't a proper job that a blacksmith could do, but it'll hold until more serious work is needed. The pain in his chest is substantially reduced, now a faded sensation.

The elf is not use to this sort of information gathering - his business has always been done face to face. He can't refute the Bard is efficient, however. Quilian makes a mental note of Fendrick Pestle; he's standing out as their best bet for unloading extra equipment and is offering an interesting task at that. He also reads over the paper filled by Jalless and lingers on the gnome's words. "Looks like someone knows of the Orcs after all." He's eager to drop their current task and engage them directly, but he can't afford to be foolish down here. Keep to an order, fulfill their commitments.

The Pech are most likely still around, holding up somewhere in the cavern walls with their melding ability. He looks to Sereia, "Sounded like you've a promise to keep with the priest. I'm of the mind that we finish the elemental threat before anything else - if for no reason than to let our Pech companions return to their home. However, if you feel strongly about helping the priest, I do not mind the detour."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]0/2

Somehow or another, Sereia notices the patch-job on Quilian's chain shirt.
"You seem fairly intent on keeping that armor for a long time..?" she half asks.

"Perhaps I'm being shortsighted, but I can't think of anything we stand to lose by aiding the priest's ritual. Knowing our luck, we'll probably anger the galeb duhrs.." she sighs, looking downward.

"But, if there is any truth to the notion that restoring the Speaking Stones will help the gnomes prevail, I feel we must try it. Um, if you don't want to be around for the ritual, I understand.." trying not to sound dismissive of him, "if there are angry spirits, it might be more helpful if Zarnov and Grim were with me."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Quilian runs a hand over the steel thread binding the broken links together. Was it really that noticeable? Working metal was never as easy as wood for the elf.

Thought not offended, he does cross his arms with some evident, self oriented frustration. "Not sure how much help I can be, I prefer my foes to be corporeal. But, I am not in the habit of leaving behind companions in need. The Pech have been patient with us so far, I think they will be willing to wait a bit more."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 1 - The Speaking Stones

The group heads back across the cavern to speak with Pingtu, and ready themselves should an angry spirit appear.

He performs the ritual.

As Pingtu's invocation ends, the room's silence gains a sort of heaviness. A voice breaks the silence, echoing as it says:

"Seven stones stand and silently mourn.
Seven gods weep in the Golden Hills.
Here, many drow did break my form,
But seven my wrath left still.
Seventy times seven years silent the stones stand,
Unless seven bright stones from Earthcaller's hand,
Seven sweet prayers of the Golden Land,
And seven sahttered arms of the drow band
Are offered here, by my command."

Waiting 490 years isn't really an option, so Pingtu turns to you.

"The Earthcaller, Segojan, is the patron deity of Blingenstone and the god of nature and the dead. He provides treasures under the earth for us to find. "The 'bright stones,' then, must refer to such treasures-gems.

"We use gems to teach children the colors of light fractured by a cut diamond; red ruby, orange fire opal, yellow citrine, green emerald, blue aquamarine, indigo sapphire, and violet amethyst. I think we shall need one of each of these stones.

"I have an aquamarine right here," he says, taking a polished blue stone from his pouch.

"Also, I was told the remains of seven drow were found with Bendekik. It sounds like my old teacher wants their weapons shattered here in the circle. We'll need the weapons and a hammer, which should be among our supplies. Fendrick Pestle, our provisioner, should know more about all that."

"The sweet prayers? Well, they're for me to perform when we've gathered the materials we need."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

"That's a question for the exorcists around here, can ghosts be harmed at all by fire or steel? And how do we hold their attention? The one of us who doesn't get the magic axe should act as bait. Also Gurmadden Stonesinger has a fire opal ring."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

"We use gems to teach children the colors of light fractured by a cut diamond; red ruby, orange fire opal, yellow citrine, green emerald, blue aquamarine, indigo sapphire, and violet amethyst. I think we shall need one of each of these stones.

:siren:Bard dude had a fire opal on his ring

e;fb

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 10/10 | AC:17 | Arrows: 19 | Spell Slots: [Lv.1]2/2

When Pingtu presents the aquamarine, Sereia finds herself staring at it -- enamored almost -- a wistful expression on her face.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

No ghosts, thank the divines. They're already going to be staring down a spirit made of living earth, that was going to be tricky enough. These gems will take some hunting around, something best done after the Pech are returned home. Can't deny that the gem in the gnomes hand is quite a sight.

Quilian readies himself for travel. "We'll have to keep an eye out for such gems, but there is a more pressing matter." He gestures to the Pechs moving about the cavern walls, showing signs of impatience.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The fighter asks the pech about the aforementioned gems while everyone's on the way to deal with the kobolds in the southeastern caverns. Things that can meld with the stone must know where they can find a few precious stones.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 3, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov
HP 8/8, AC12 15, Spell Slots 2/2, Arcane Recovery

Waking in the morning, Zarnov takes time to cast a Mage Armor on himself then recover the spell slot.

The tiefling had seemed bored throughout the ritual. When Shamis asks for a method of slaying ghosts, Zarnov replies, "Fire works, yes, but many cannot be harmed by physical means. Spirits are in two places at once, essentially, the lands of both the living and the dead. But someone will have to keep them occupied."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov

While trudging to their destination, Zarnov slides up next to Sereia and asks, loudly enough for all to hear, "So, Sereia, Quilian, I forgot to ask! How are you two feeling today? After the beatings you took from those orcs, I'm surprised to see you up and moving at all."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"I'm sure if you ask Quilian really nicely, he will hit you with a greataxe so you can experience the sensation firsthand."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov

"Oh, I won't trouble him. Don't want to strain his back. He could barely lift a greataxe at his best, and today I don't think we are anywhere near that."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

I've seen this type before. This was his weird way of saying thanks for making sure he wasn't the one getting cut in half. And you can't just tell him "you're welcome" back either. Needs to be something like, "I can pinch hit for Killer, but you'd probably like it, eh Big Red?" while you pick your nails with the axe head.

Yeah, that'd do.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Quilian pulls away his mask and hood, revealing a wide smile. "Still a little sore, but thanks to Sereia as well as the rest of you, I am alive." Flexing with a bland gesture of his arms, "And I could lift a greataxe! I know well a woodman's axe, it cannot be much different.. I think.." He looks to Shamis as if to confirm his statement.

While holding onto his bag straps, "Still.. Apsene nin "Elven; Forgive me". When I found the Orcs broke past the barricade, I feared for its defenders and moved in. It would have been safer to engage at a distance." While truthful, anyone with some insight might suspect his desire to engage in swordplay also influenced the decision.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The fighter fills everyone in on their secretary, Singing Stone researcher, and fire opal-haver Gurmadden Stonesinger's quest to mine some stones in the same place as the kobold infestation. She stops somewhere to pick up some mining picks for people, and a shield for Quilian.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 2 - The Foaming Mug

The group toward The Foaming Mug, but stop by The Ruby in the Rough on the way to let Kargien know about your intent to deal with the kobolds. He calls forth a guide, Miglin Crackedquartz to lead you through the Wormwrithings, and when asked he gives each of you a pick. You also stop by and pick up a shield for Quilian.

Eventually you make your way to The Foaming Mug.

Past the barricades, the southern tunnels of the ruined city are eerily quiet, except for the constant muttering of your guide and the sound of your footsteps. Miglin leads you through caverns lined with shallow caves and through narrow tunnels with low ceilings. He peers around, searching for any new tunnels.

Standing in the back of the line Shamis has plenty of time to look around, and happens to spot a net on the ceiling, a net that Quilian and their guide Miglin are about to walk under.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

Being a tall freak pays off sometimes. Shamis whispers, "Hold it, ceiling net dead ahead." There'd either be a trigger mechanism like a tripwire or a kobold manning it. She tells the front liners to check for both while she keeps watching everyone's backs.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Shields saw a lot of use back at the ranger academy, but he always preferred a sharp blade instead. Shamis's insistence didn't really make it a choice and since his previous performance was less than stellar, being hard headed about it now would not get him anywhere. The shield is a little smaller than the usual, but it does fit more comfortably on his back.

These were his thoughts when Shamis called out to him. Quickly grabbing at the gnomes shoulder, it takes her pointing out the net before either realize what was happening.

Quilian looks about the area ahead of him for some sign of an activating mechanism.

Looking for trap activation mechanism: 1#1d20+3 13

\/ - Messed up. Strict INT roll makes it 10. Found nothing.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 3, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Quilian finds one trip wire.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 39

Unable to detect a wire or activating mechanism, Quilian ushers the group back a few steps and aims his bow at the net. A small rope holds the net in place - which is what he aims for.

Unless someone stops Quilian he'll fire an arrow and bring down/safely disable the net.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 3, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zarnov

"Nasty. This is how you know you're in kobold territory."

If that arrow shot doesn't work, I'll cast Mage Hand and try to sweep around the ground in front of me in a straight line up to 30' away.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Between Quilian's shot and Zarnov's sweep of the ceiling two nets fall, harmlessly. As they fall 8 kobolds rush forward, hesitating when they realize the nets didn't land on anyone.

Initiative

22 Grim :rolldice:
21 Zarnov :rolldice:
18 Sereia :rolldice:
12 Quilian :rolldice:
11 Kobolds
08 Shamis

Map

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 8/8, AC12 15, Spell Slots 1/2, Arcane Recovery

"Eeek! Look at all those disgusting kobolds. This one's on me. Thank me later."

Zarnov dramatically casts the spell, then as the kobolds fall over one by one he faces away and crosses his arms with a ridiculous smirk on his face.

Zarnov casts Sleep. sleep: 5d8 18 HP worth of kobolds go to sleep, centered on the mass of kobolds (20' radius).

ritorix fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 4, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Zarnov waves his hands and mutters some words, then all the kobolds fall down. Snoring.

Initiative

22 Grim :rolldice:
21 Zarnov
18 Sereia :rolldice:
12 Quilian :rolldice:
11 Kobolds
08 Shamis

Map

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Zarnov
HP 8/8, AC12 15, Spell Slots 1/2, Arcane Recovery

"Now you may not realize it, but I just saved your lives. It's ok, it's ok, I do it all the time. There's no telling how many of you would have fallen prey to their nasty little daggers or whatever. So...can someone start slitting throats? Before they wake up."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia approaches the kobold furthest to the north, dropping to one knee as she drives her sword through its neck.

Coup de Grace 2d20k1+5 = 15 for 2d6+3 damage so probably enough to kill it.

Assuming we can move around freely, put me on the square to the north of that kobold; otherwise this whole turn I wrote up is moot. :downs: In which case, move 3 squares straight forward and Sacred Flame the same guy instead, he autofails his save for 1d8 damage.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 38

Quilian barely had time to knock a second arrow by the time Zarnov casted his spell. "Langė."Elven;"Amazing"

With the Kobolds knocked out, he stows his bow and draws on a blade, closing in on the nearest one. Killing them in this way is rather cowardly, but experience has taught him how vile such monsters are. They would not show mercy to them, or any other.

Attacking sleeping Kobold: 2#1d20+5 10 17
Advantage roll: 1#1d20+5 8
*Crit, Minimum damage of 5 (2d6+3), one Kobold dead*

Precise thrust of the blade ends the creature immediately. They may be monsters, but causing something to suffer maliciously is not in his tastes.

Sounds like we're going to mop up the encounter totally rather than by turn.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 4, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
For the benefit of anyone not following IRC, we can Coup de Grace all these kobolds to death now; they each have 2 HP. So if you want to make a fluffpost about kobold genocide, go for it, otherwise let's just handwave this along.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Shamis Aeryn
13/13 HP, 16-18 AC

The fighter quips with a sarcastic smile, "I'd say 'good job, Big Red,' but your head's swollen so much already that it's sprouting." Then she elbow drops all the kobolds to a more mundane version of unconsciousness and loots them while Big Red superintends. If anyone wants to try using them as target practice or wants to kill them that's their prerogative.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Grim Evenwood
HP: 10 | AC: 13 | Spell Slots: 1

"Pfft, filthy creatures. They'll just be more trouble later, either attacking our allies or sneaking up behind us. Better them than us."

Grim will start slitting throats. Honor is for the birds. Or kobolds.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Chapter 2 - Wormwrithings

Quilian begins looting the kobolds, as Grim slits their throats, on each he finds a dagger and a sling and a few coppers. By the time he has searched them all he has found 20cp.

Miglin Crackedquartz then leads you into the Wormwrithings.

The passage to the Wormwrithings is a fissure that opened up a century or so ago. Here near the Foaming Mug it is twenty feet wide and nearly as tall. It then goes southeast before narrowing a few hundred feet past the entrance. After narrowing it veers south and gradually winds northwest to the Wormwrithings.

Where it narrows is probably a good place to seal the passage, using picks or other methods to weaken the ceiling and collapse it. Which is what Miglin suggests. Still first you continue on.

Miglin leads you down the tunnel for what seems like miles. At last, the passage opens into the side of an enormous circular tunnel, winding off into the darkness in both directions. Jutting from the rock just across the tunnel, you spot a gleaming crystal like the ones Gurmadden showed you.

Map x marks the crystal.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 38

The usual chill of the underdark is particularly potent to him here. Speaking in quiet tones, "Be on guard."

Treading lightly and using any cover available, Quilian uses his senses to detect any traps or hostiles while making his way to the crystal.

Perception check to detect any traps or hostile beings lying in wait. If there's any kind of cover like stalagmites, he'll stick close to such things until he ends at the crystal.

Perception: 1#1d20+3 16
taking ten for stealth, passive check: 15

Lothire fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 5, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Quilian spots another net trap, like the one in the Foaming Mug.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

HP: 10 | AC: 15 | Arrows: 37

"Another net trap nearby." The elf signals it's location to the party. Searching the ground, he tries to find the wire no doubt connected to it.

Checking for wires: 1#1d20 2

Having failed to find it, he resorts to the tried and true method of shooting it down. He gives time to the others to set themselves up for another potential ambush before firing an arrow as he did the last trap.

*He can still be stopped should someone else have another plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Whoever has a good Investigation skill can get a free Guidance(+1d4) from me if they wanna look for a tripwire.

• Locked thread